Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
From this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/197767/

It has been 23 days to think of ideas, and now the time has come (or close enough - according to the Apple Time & Date app, I am typing this just minutes before 12:01AM in Tokyo on May 25th!)

Some easy guidelines:

- Post only images taken from 12:01AM May 26 through 11:59PM May 29, 2006 (in your respective time zones). This is on the honor system - (no one should be checking the time stamps on the images :) ).

- Try to post only up to 5 of your best images from that timeframe. Only true abusers will be flogged by each poster in this thread. :)

- When posting an image, let us know if it is not open to be be critiqued. Also feel free to provide a short editorial comment about the photo. Some images are great by themselves, others need some context to be fully appreciated.

Let the fun begin!:)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Red, White, & Blue

For us Americans this is the weekend of the Red, White, & Blue; in keeping with that this image caught my attention earlier today.

Data on this shot: Panasonic LX-1, ISO 80, 1/320 @ f4.0, 6.3mm, cropped from the original.

Comments always welcomed.

Attachments

• P1000316-1a.jpg
    P1000316-1a.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 155

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
A weekend of fairs and carnivals

It is ViVa Vienna this weekend in Vienna, VA (http://www.vivavienna.org/vivaviennapage.htm). Here are a few shots from this evening. A time for food, games, and fun.

The shooting data (all were taken with the Panasonic LX-1):

Pizza shot - ISO 400, 1/250 @ f/2.8, 6.3mm

Shooting Gallery - ISO 400, 1/40 @ f/2.8, 6.3mm, cropped and converted to B&W

Football Bounce - ISO 400, 1/80 @ f/2.8, 6.3mm

Comments always welcomed.

Attachments

• P1000327-1a.jpg
    P1000327-1a.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 142
  • P1000336-1a.jpg
    P1000336-1a.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 166
  • P1000339-1a.jpg
    P1000339-1a.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 168

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Here's the first of my shots from this weekend:

bike_gear.jpg

I went out on a big ride this morning at Noble Canyon with a couple of buddies. I missed a great shot of some blooming yucca with sunlight breaking through the low clouds on the mountain range, but when you're pedaling it's hard to stop and get the shot sometimes.

belair

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
Since you asked chip i will double post this pic
Too bad I can't get some more photo time this week, I have got loads of work that needs to be done…

Nice thread idea tough

Attachments

• marathon-light.jpg
    marathon-light.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 144

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Although it is not a very special holiday in Denmark, I decided to go out and shoot some urban art yesterday. This was my weekend! Sorry about the sucky frame but the images have been prepped for my new photosite. All images taken with an ef 50mm f/1.4

Critique is as always welcome:)

Attachments

• IMG1.jpg
    IMG1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG3.jpg
    IMG3.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG4.jpg
    IMG4.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG5.jpg
    IMG5.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG8.jpg
    IMG8.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 118

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
cookie1105 said:
Although it is not a very special holiday in Denmark, I decided to go out and shoot some urban art yesterday. This was my weekend! Sorry about the sucky frame but the images have been prepped for my new photosite. All images taken with an ef 50mm f/1.4

Critique is as always welcome:)

I really like the second pic of the arches, as well as the third one of the spire.

But my thoughts on these two is that they might have more appeal in B&W; rather than in color.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Rolling Thunder 2006

Taken today, 5/28/2006.

This guy rode down the Memorial Bridge with the rest of the riders on motorcycles. Caught up with him later in the day urging the riders on. Wish I weren't so shy in public forums to approach people (despite my working retail) to get the "full story".

Photo details: Tokina 12-24 @ 12mm (cropped image), f/6.3 at 1/250 @ ISO 200 on a Nikon D70s, converted to B&W with Photokit.

Attachments

• _DSC0214-1.jpg
    _DSC0214-1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 141

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Chip NoVaMac said:
I really like the second pic of the arches, as well as the third one of the spire.

But my thoughts on these two is that they might have more appeal in B&W; rather than in color.

Thanks Chip, I have a had a little play with steeple and arches. I prefer the arches in B&W, but the steeple in colour. I'm not sure whether it is alright to repost them in B&W, but here they are. Sorry if I have broken any rules by reposting.

Attachments

• arches_bw.jpg
    arches_bw.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 125
  • steeple_bw.jpg
    steeple_bw.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 131

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Summer Retreat

Took my camera along for my summer retreat ... here's a few decent photos to share =) Feel free to critique and give tips on how to improve upon the images in Photoshop =) All images were taken from Friday night to Sunday morning with my Panasonic FX-9, resized at JPEG-60 to fit as an attachment.

First attachment is pictures of people at sunset (this particular one is of myself). I worked on having the person off-center which seems to create a nice effect. The flash on my camera seems a bit weak, the person could be a bit brighter.

Second attachment is just a fun picture of my friends out canoeing =) Overall a clean picture, a good test of the quality of my FX-9 as the photo is untouched (besides straightening the photo) It does seem a bit over-saturated, but my friends love the color punch.

Third attachment is of some geese landing in the water, I wish I had more zoom as I've had to crop this image quite a bit (shown image is essentially a 100% crop). Looking forward to getting the Ricoh with 7.1x zoom out to 200mm equivalent =)

Fourth attachment is a stitched panoramic shot of the lake where I stayed. I absolutely adore panoramic views. Anyway, it was fun taking photos, but overall it was a fun weekend with my friends!

-OA

Attachments

• OARetreatSunset.jpg
    OARetreatSunset.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 154
  • OARetreatCanoe.jpg
    OARetreatCanoe.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 138
  • OARetreatGeese.jpg
    OARetreatGeese.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 123
  • OARetreatLake.jpg
    OARetreatLake.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 126
L

Lau

Some great shots here - it's interesting to see how people have spent their weekends.

I've spent mine getting my portfolio ready for Wednesday, and on occasion, eating. All very exciting. ;) So, my two pictures from this weekend reflect that.

IMG_3130.JPG IMG_3150.jpg

Click for larger.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I was lucky enough to spend this weekend away from my usual surroundings in Rome. And unlucky enough to have around 400 pictures to choose from for this gallery! :rolleyes:

So.. since several of the others may turn up in the 'Sightseeing' thread or the Water assignment one or wherever, I've made an effort to choose pictures that aren't really of any of the Roman 'sights' but more about the feel of the place or specific things that we saw.

Since I've only been home an hour or so, there's no 'work' been done on these.

They show...
1 - the market at Campo di Fiori. The weird looking green/yellow things are zucchini flowers which the Romans stuff with ricotta/spinach or anchovies/peppers and deep fry - or serve in pasta. Delicious.
2 - the staircase leaving the Vatican museums (just after seeing Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel paintings - wow!) complete with annoying tour group.
3 - our usual litre of wine at lunch/dinner
4 - a typical little street - beautifully coloured houses with shutters, a church thrown in for good measure, lots of scooters and a little cafe out front.
5 - the view from the hill next to the hotel over the Roman rooftops...

Attachments

• zucchini.jpg
    zucchini.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 115
  • steps.jpg
    steps.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 143
  • frascati.jpg
    frascati.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 116
  • street.jpg
    street.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Roofs.jpg
    Roofs.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 125

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Applespider said:
I was lucky enough to spend this weekend away from my usual surroundings in Rome. And unlucky enough to have around 400 pictures to choose from for this gallery! :rolleyes:

So.. since several of the others may turn up in the 'Sightseeing' thread or the Water assignment one or wherever, I've made an effort to choose pictures that aren't really of any of the Roman 'sights' but more about the feel of the place or specific things that we saw.

Since I've only been home an hour or so, there's no 'work' been done on these.

They show...
1 - the market at Campo di Fiori. The weird looking green/yellow things are zucchini flowers which the Romans stuff with ricotta/spinach or anchovies/peppers and deep fry - or serve in pasta. Delicious.
2 - the staircase leaving the Vatican museums (just after seeing Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel paintings - wow!) complete with annoying tour group.
3 - our usual litre of wine at lunch/dinner
4 - a typical little street - beautifully coloured houses with shutters, a church thrown in for good measure, lots of scooters and a little cafe out front.
5 - the view from the hill next to the hotel over the Roman rooftops...

Did you move permanently, Applespider? :confused:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Applespider said:
And unlucky enough to have around 400 pictures to choose from for this gallery! :rolleyes:

Know the feeling. :) Shot almost 300 pictures, mostly on Saturday and Sunday.

Had to resort to posting some on iGary's Picture of the day thread, and in some of my own gallery threads.

Those can be the best pictures IMO. My best shots from Reykjavik and London IMO are the ones that gave some "feel" about my time there.

The first three are the best IMO. Very worthy of illustrating a Rome trip.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Applespider said:
I wish... ;) London's cold, dirty and rude in comparison... :(

I found London anything but rude, save for some American tourists. :) Just remember my little incident at the Westminster Station that I have shared here. :eek:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Some flowers I was given last weekend, I took some shots before I tossed them (most of the others died). And a quick day trip to Venice. Too crowded for any great shots, but I caught this on my way home.

Attachments

• createdbyjessicaDOTcom4.jpg
    createdbyjessicaDOTcom4.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 311
  • createdbyjessicaDOTcom3.jpg
    createdbyjessicaDOTcom3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 295
  • createdbyjessicaDOTcom2.jpg
    createdbyjessicaDOTcom2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 945

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jessica. said:
Some flowers I was given last weekend, I took some shots before I tossed them (most of the others died). And a quick day trip to Venice. Too crowded for any great shots, but I caught this on my way home.

Thanks for sharing. Love the flower images. In particular the second one, thought it seemed too dark for my tastes. So I ran it through CS2 and the Shadow/Highlight tool. Here is what I came up with, hope you don't mind.

Attachments

• createdbyjessicaDOTcom3.jpg
    createdbyjessicaDOTcom3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 293

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Saturday - Set off late for road trip for long weekend

3.jpg

Reach the beach!

2.jpg

Having random fun

4.jpg

Taking a walk

5.jpg

On the way home

1.jpg

Man that was hard to fit into 5 images... Again - over 400 images this weekend

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
tonyeck said:
Taking a walk

5.jpg

Man that was hard to fit into 5 images... Again - over 400 images this weekend

I really like that - I don't know anything special about photography.. but thats a really nice picture. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.