PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Scientist Says Saddam Hiding Arms Underground

LethalWolfe
Feb 18, 2003, 11:01 AM
A former top Iraqi scientist said on Tuesday he believed Saddam Hussein had dismantled his nuclear program but was making chemical and biological weapons that were hidden deep underground beyond the eyes of U.N. inspectors. (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030218/wl_nm/iraq_philippines_scientist_dc_1)

Lethal

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 18, 2003, 12:24 PM
No surprise for anyone in the U.S. Thats why they are now allowing the U2 because it cant see underground. Meanwhile the French and Blix are just happy to pretend to be doing something. Even when we finally go in there and dig it up and show it to the french they will deny. The Iraqi people are sure going to be pissed at the French & Germans once they are freed!

Backtothemac
Feb 18, 2003, 01:14 PM
Did you hear about the uproar in Germany late last night? It came out that Saddam has been working on Small Pox, and I did not get it all, but Hannity and Colmes where talking about it, and eve Colmes was getting militaristic.

Rower_CPU
Feb 18, 2003, 01:34 PM
Sounds a lot like hearsay to me...

"He said, they said"

Scary if true...so why didn't this show up in Powell's presentation to the UN?

drastik
Feb 18, 2003, 01:53 PM
This is good. For the time being, Iraq is held in check by all of the scrutiny from the US/UN. Information leaks like these could allow us to go in and confirm then destroy the wapons. If our goal really is to disarm Iraq, this is just he kind of info we need. Something this big would allow for deposing Hussein, hopefully without arc lighting innocent civilians. I think that a clear violation like this, if it can be proved, would serve as reason for the UN to solidicize, allowing more threat and better chances of averting a full out war.

I still say fire up the special Ops tems and just kill the ****************, then insate American rule untill a democratic order cn be achieved. Saddam's chosen successors are crazier than he is, so just pluggin him doesn't work.

macfan
Feb 18, 2003, 02:24 PM
Scary if true...so why didn't this show up in Powell's presentation to the UN?

It's likely that most of what is known didn't show up in Powell's presentation. It's also very hard to know what specific things Saddam might be working on without an inside source. It such a source exists, revealing what is known about it woud likely be fatal to that source.

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 18, 2003, 03:23 PM
I think the US knows a lot more then its willing to show in fear of this stuffed being moved or whatever. Its Bad enough to give them months notice before we come and then still having to quable with the Blind/Ineffective UN. The U.S. will go in with its partners and show what this bastard(Saddam) has been doing. The scary thing is killers like Saddam ( just like Hitler) dont mind taking as many of their own people with them. I think he may bio/chemically attack his own people when we come for his sorry lowdown deeper then whale**** self! What we may need to do is say everyone get out of baghdad before we go in for this sorry excuse of a human. The world should make an example of this killer and let it be known that we(FREE PEOPLE EVERYWHERE) will not let killers like this exist let alone run any country.

Rower_CPU
Feb 18, 2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by macfan
It's likely that most of what is known didn't show up in Powell's presentation. It's also very hard to know what specific things Saddam might be working on without an inside source. It such a source exists, revealing what is known about it woud likely be fatal to that source.

And this scientist coming forward isn't putting himself in danger?

It's "public" knowledge now (if it's indeed true), so let's see if the US comes forward with evidence to help the inspectors find these underground labs...

pimentoLoaf
Feb 18, 2003, 04:15 PM
I love the joke Dennis Miller had on one of the talk shows the other day (and sorry, this isn't an exact quote):

The only way that France will invade Iraq is if truffles are found there.

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 18, 2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
And this scientist coming forward isn't putting himself in danger?

It's "public" knowledge now (if it's indeed true), so let's see if the US comes forward with evidence to help the inspectors find these underground labs... The scientist is now living in a free country. He doesnt have to fear for his life for thoughts,ideas,religion,or disagreeing with his govt. Can anyone in iraq say that?(other then Saddam)

Rower_CPU
Feb 18, 2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
The scientist is now living in a free country. He doesnt have to fear for his life for thoughts,ideas,religion,or disagreeing with his govt. Can anyone in iraq say that?(other then Saddam)

And if the US government, the most powerful government in the world, can't protect the life of a single source that will serve to save many lives, what's the frickin' point of it all?

Since when is war the "easy way out"?

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 18, 2003, 05:07 PM
And if the US government, the most powerful government in the world, can't protect the life of a single source that will serve to save many lives, what's the frickin' point of it all?

Since when is war the "easy way out"? there is no easy way out when you are dealing with someone like Saddam. Sometimes direct action is all they understand. Look, Open your eyes and mind. Saddam would still be doing what he had for the past 12 years if not for the U.S. saying enough is enough! Rower come into the light! Doing nothing isnt solving anything. Look at the past 12 years of doing nothing? The Iraqi people cant free themselves of this guy! His security has the iraqi's in his cold bloody hand! FREE THE IRAQI PEOPLE! Rower WAKE UP! Tell me how to free the iraqi's and get rid of the weapons Saddam has not turned over with out going to war? The only reason saddam has let inspectors go about the country is because we will bomb his A_ _ to kingdom come if he dont. 12 years of doing nothing by the UN dont cut it. It is Time for action! he has had long enough to follow any of the 14-15 i lost count resolutions by the UN.

Gyroscope
Feb 18, 2003, 07:07 PM
Sad state of the world.

The only reason USA wants to go to Iraq is the oil. Can't really understand that u guys overthere can't figure out what is really going on. I'm not defending Sadam Hussein, cuz I myself think he's a fckn lunatic. In USA political lobbyism is pretty much established thing since god knows when. What happens is that oil cartel poured lotsa money for Mr Bush to win election (how many mil $$ he had for election budget?)and now its the payback time. French and other european countries opose war cuz they have their own interests there. Nobody gives a rats ass for poor people of Iraq or ohter poor countries USA has either invaded or manipulated for its economic or strategic advantage.My point here is that goverments dont listen to their people anymore. Rich are becoming richer and poor poorer. And we all here suck mucho for being plain selfish and dumb. It is indeed a sad state of the world.

Thank You
:(

LethalWolfe
Feb 18, 2003, 07:26 PM
so why didn't this show up in Powell's presentation to the UN?

The obvious answer would be because the scientist just came forward w/the info today (Feb 18th).

Lethal

Les Kern
Feb 18, 2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Did you hear about the uproar in Germany late last night? It came out that Saddam has been working on Small Pox, and I did not get it all, but Hannity and Colmes where talking about it, and eve Colmes was getting militaristic.
I am most definitely against this upcoming war, and hope diplomacy/coup comes to pass. That being said, if Hussein is indeed developing Smallpox (or anthrax), then we should attack without delay. VX? Sarin? Bulky and are considered defensive, not so with bio-weapons. Anthrax and Smallpox would undoubtedly find it's way to the west.

TRAUT
Feb 18, 2003, 08:41 PM
How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?

Answer: Unknown - its never been tried!:D

Backtothemac
Feb 18, 2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Les Kern
I am most definitely against this upcoming war, and hope diplomacy/coup comes to pass. That being said, if Hussein is indeed developing Smallpox (or anthrax), then we should attack without delay. VX? Sarin? Bulky and are considered defensive, not so with bio-weapons. Anthrax and Smallpox would undoubtedly find it's way to the west.

Hey Les, let the Japanese people that died in their Sarin attack know that it is bulky and defensive. Also, VX. A teaspoon of that stuff spilled in the middle of the street would kill everything in a 1 block radius.

Put it on a plane and detonate it at 2,000 feet. Everything in 1 mile radius.

Not nice stuff, and unless you have some atropine ready, you die. Quick, and painful. Very painful. You break your own back from going into convulsions.

Not to mention the Botulism Toxin that we know he has.

See that is the thing. We know that he has all of this stuff. Remember the amount of anthrax that was being mailed here after 9/11. He has several thousand tons of it. If he gave it to terror organizations that are operating in Iraq, he could kill millions.

As open as Europe and the US is, he could have a hay day.

Give the 9/11 hijackers VX in capsules that looked like medicine. Fly them into the country. Have them kill themselves by releasing it, or put it in the water supply, etc. People just need to see this is more than the media is making it out to be. 12 years. 17 resolution by the world. Now, the French, Germans, and Russians say no, take even more time. We know that after the inspectors were there this time he was buying alluminum rods for weaponizing uranium.

He has to go, and now. How would you feel if we did not go in, and then he gave VX to Al Queda, and they managed to get it here and killed 1 million people?

Les Kern
Feb 18, 2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
He has to go, and now. How would you feel if we did not go in, and then he gave VX to Al Queda, and they managed to get it here and killed 1 million people?

I wrote in haste, and was wrong.
The world is changing too fast for me I think. I'm torn between my disgust for our administration (not just foriegn policy), and the real dangers that this world is producing. How do I align one with another? How do I keep my belief that peace is the real answer when terrism is real and incredibly dangerous? How can I not know that our policy helps breed the REASON for terrorists striking us? I said in an earlier post that maybe we can't stop it. Maybe we're dooming ourselves unless we (gasp) withdraw from the mideast and re-double our efforts HERE by developing alternative energy sources so we don't NEED those piss-ant countries. Doom? Yes, becasue of the very things you mentioned about WMD's. Are we supposed to fight every foe in every country using every means they can get their hands on to destroy us? Or would it be better (in the long run) to just get the hell out now and take one on the chin? We still have 25,000 nukes to defend ourselves.
These are all rhetorical questions, and I have no answers. I just know that this path we are following, the bad-ass cop of the third world scenario, is very troubling to me. I won't pretend to have answers, and I know you all are searching for the answers as I am. Let's hope cooler heads prevail and we can get back to living in a diversified, respectful world.

Rower_CPU
Feb 18, 2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
The obvious answer would be because the scientist just came forward w/the info today (Feb 18th).

Lethal

Exactly. The US doesn't know as much as it thinks it does about the "secret" dealings in Iraq, then does it? ;)

LethalWolfe
Feb 18, 2003, 10:47 PM
Exactly. The US doesn't know as much as it thinks it does about the "secret" dealings in Iraq, then does it? ;)

I wish they did 'cause then the world wouldn't have to rely soley on Saddam's honestly and altruism in order to disarm Iraq. I'd be the happiest of happy people if the US could lead the inspectors by the nose to each and every lab, production facility, and stockpile of banned weapons in Iraq. Sadly the US doesn't know everything. Saddam is a dick. And the UN is currently a political quagmire and about a stone's throw away from utterly useless. :(

I guess all that's left is to bicker and argue until Blix goes before the UN again on March 1st(?). :p

Lethal

Backtothemac
Feb 18, 2003, 10:52 PM
Rower, actually part of this info was disclosed by Powel. The part of the mobile labs. And yes, believe me we know what is going on in Iraq.

Now for Les.

Here is how you solve the problem. There is no way. The middle east has to many geopolitical, and socio-economic issues for peace. Israel and Palistine. Oil, etc. The problem is the governments of those countries have gotten filthy rich on the US buying oil, and they don't give back to the people of those countries. The Saudi's are religious zealots, teaching that killing Jews is a good thing in their grade schools.

The reality is that we need to develop alternative methods of fuel. That is key, but when we do, and those governments loose all the money that we are sending that way, then they will tell the people over there that we have raped their countries, and breed, yes, more terrorism. The way to handle this is clean house in Iraq, and install a government that will give back to the people and give them better lives, and educations. Same in Afghanistan.

Now as for the administration. I don't like everything that they have done, but I think that given the current environment they have done well. Remember Congress blocked a lot of things last year that would have helped the economy. Bush continually asked for a stimulus bill, but never got it. Fact is all the folks in Washington are not playing for the people but for political gain.

I don't think that Bush does it, as I think he is far more down to earth than people think, but people in his administration do.

wdlove
Feb 23, 2003, 07:02 PM
President Bush at a news conference Friday from Crawford, TX, "The missiles are just the tip of the iceberg." Final plans being made for a UN resolution this week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/23/international/middleeast/23PREX.html?th