PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 - connecting to Mac Hard Drive on Wireless network?

Antonioms
May 25, 2006, 04:30 AM
Is it possible, after hooking up an Xbox 360 to a wireless network, to use my Mac as a external HD for the 360?

Would this enable use of old Xbox games on it or does the Microsoft HD have to be attached for this to all work?

I am aware of the Connect 360 Shareware ap... with that same logic I am hoping this could work.

Thanking you.

liketom
May 25, 2006, 04:41 AM
no - Microsoft have tied that badboy down to only work with the HDD onboard for the Xbox

until Microsoft opens it up or someone hacks into the Xbox not alot we can do at the moment

Antonioms
May 25, 2006, 08:34 AM
no - Microsoft have tied that badboy down to only work with the HDD onboard for the Xbox

until Microsoft opens it up or someone hacks into the Xbox not alot we can do at the moment

Poo

Thanks for straightening that out though. Appreciated.

shortyjj
May 25, 2006, 09:09 AM
Can you at least put mp3s on the 360 hard drive? I had visions of making my old Xbox a media center... and then found out that you could only copy original CDs.

EvilDoc
May 26, 2006, 12:30 AM
you can play your mp3's on that are on your Mac if you have the xbox 360 and the Mac networked. Use Connect360, thats what i use.

shortyjj
May 26, 2006, 09:06 AM
Oh wow, that's awesome. Thanks!

So if I plugged the 360 into my Airport Express, and my Powerbook was on the same network, they'd automatically connect and share content?

mkubal
May 26, 2006, 09:31 AM
Oh wow, that's awesome. Thanks!

So if I plugged the 360 into my Airport Express, and my Powerbook was on the same network, they'd automatically connect and share content?

I thought the ethernet jack on the Express was for incoming signal only? I could be wrong. Maybe there's some way to make it work in reverse. If you can, and if you're using the Express to extend an existing wireless network then it should work. If the express is your only wireless base station then you'll lose access to the interwebs and XBL stuff.

Your best solution: a 360 wireless adapter.

And yes, you'll be able to share music and photos from your Mac (no video).

rotlex
May 26, 2006, 09:52 AM
you can play your mp3's on that are on your Mac if you have the xbox 360 and the Mac networked. Use Connect360, thats what i use.

I don't post here much, but just wanted to say THANK YOU for this post. I have been looking for something like this, and Connect360 looks like the ticket!

Awesome! :)

shortyjj
May 26, 2006, 10:10 AM
I thought the ethernet jack on the Express was for incoming signal only? I could be wrong. (no video).

This is all the Apple Store has to say on that port:

10/100BASE-T Ethernet WAN port (RJ-45 connector) for connecting a DSL or cable modem

I'd have it plugged into my second (bridge) Airport Express, so I'll let you know as soon as I have the cojones to drop $400 on a console.

cplusON3R
May 26, 2006, 11:31 AM
I'm using a belkin wireless 4 port router.. my mac is wireless and the 360 is connected to one of the ports. its good stuff.. I just have so many tunes that scrolling is a pain on the 360. it takes like 10 years to get to listen to 'zero7':p

savar
May 26, 2006, 11:47 AM
I thought the ethernet jack on the Express was for incoming signal only? I could be wrong.

I don't know what you mean. AE is just a wireless bridge with some extra goodies built-in, so it can bridge any type of ethernet device (even a hub) to any 802.11 network.

mkubal
May 26, 2006, 12:26 PM
I don't know what you mean. AE is just a wireless bridge with some extra goodies built-in, so it can bridge any type of ethernet device (even a hub) to any 802.11 network.

I guess I stand corrected. What I meant was that I thought it (the ethernet jack) could only be used to attach a cable or DSL modem. For example, I didn't think you could use the ethernet to attach a printer.

I think this was based on trying to use the ethernet to connect an original Xbox to Live and never being able to get any sort of signal.

shortyjj
May 26, 2006, 01:51 PM
So... I'm still confused. While using the AE as a bridge and plugging your Xbox into the ethernet slot, you could not get it onto the network? That doesn't bode well.

It probably doesn't matter, I can still stream to the stereo using Airtunes, that probably makes more sense, and my pictures stretched out on a 55" (HD) tv would look like crap anyway.

mkubal
May 26, 2006, 02:31 PM
So... I'm still confused. While using the AE as a bridge and plugging your Xbox into the ethernet slot, you could not get it onto the network? That doesn't bode well.

It probably doesn't matter, I can still stream to the stereo using Airtunes, that probably makes more sense, and my pictures stretched out on a 55" (HD) tv would look like crap anyway.

What I gather from savar is that it should work. At this point I'm still not sure. When I tried it on my Xbox (original) it was supposedly possible with the correct settings, but I could never get it to work. That doesn't mean it won't. I'd suggest searching these forums for threads related to the Express and xbox or 360. It also might not hurt to try googling it.

Or I suppose it's also possible that you'll plug it into the Express and it'll work perfectly. Meaning that I'm an idiot for not being able to figure it out before. It can't hurt to give that a go. The wireless adapter is always there as a fallback.

BTW, photos look great on my 60 inch HDTV so they should look good on your TV as well.

JDOG_
May 26, 2006, 04:47 PM
The main reason for locking down mass storage devices to game saves and gametype settings is to lock down modding within online games. Since the XBOX 360 is an online-themed device, it makes sense that they'd want to keep a tight lid on things...especially because selling 64 mb memory cards for $40 beats letting people use the cheap storage they already have lying around.

As an online gamer, I appreciate MS keeping people from using potentially modified gamefiles in online games, but as a cheap gamer, it bugs the hell out of me I can't use my spare 256mb USB flash drive as a memory card...

I refuse to buy a proprietary storage solution from them...unless they come out with a sub $100 100gig HD for the 360...I'm so sick of having do delete game demos to make room for other stuff.

shortyjj
May 26, 2006, 09:54 PM
So I blew the cash, got the 360 premium along with Oblivion and Table Tennis... and I thought it comes with a free month trial of Live Gold, but see no code to redeem. Am I halucinating, or should there be a free month?