PDA

View Full Version : Wii under $250

DEXTERITY
May 25, 2006, 07:45 AM
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17273

Nintendo plans to ship 6 million Wii units by March

Paul Loughrey 10:29 25/05/2006
Console will retail for under USD 250

Nintendo has announced that it intends to ship 6 million Wii units by March next year, confirming that the console will retail for USD 250 or less when it goes on sale in the US.

According to Nintendo's senior managing director, Yoshihiro Mori, the console - which is scheduled for a release in the fourth quarter alongside Sony's costly PlayStation 3 - will retail for YEN 25,000 or less in Japan.

The news came as part of the platform holder's full-year financial report, which revealed a 19 per cent fall in annual operating profit due primarily to a slow demand for the GameCube and GameBoy Advance hardware and software and start-up costs for the next generation console.

The company saw a rise of 12.5 per cent in net profit, which reached YEN 98.4 billion, boosted by the continued success of its DS handheld. Nintendo plans to sell 16 million hardware units and 70 million units of software for the handheld in the current business year, and is forecasting a twenty-two per cent rise in operating profit to YEN 110 billion this fiscal year.

The Wii console is key to Nintendo's future success and the company is banking on its strategy of introducing disruptive technology to capture a large percentage of the market, bowing out of the high-tech hardware race between Microsoft and Sony and concentrating on innovation and affordability in place of the superior graphics and processing power that has dominated the next-generation platform.

Much has been made of the console's projected low-end pricing structure, executives from both Microsoft and Sony predicting that consumers will purchase the Wii as a second console and switching the focus back to a consumer choice between the Xbox 360 and the considerably higher priced PS3 - while Nintendo could potentially secure a massive segment of the global games market.

Sony is targeting 6 million PS3 sales by March 2007, despite a dual SKU price point of USD 499/599 for its Blu-Ray enabled console. Nintendo has projected the same figures for the Wii, which comes in at half the price and could potentially be purchased alongside an Xbox 360 for less than the cost of Sony's base level machine.

srobert
May 25, 2006, 08:14 AM
According to Nintendo's senior managing director, Yoshihiro Mori, the console - which is scheduled for a release in the fourth quarter alongside Sony's costly PlayStation 3 - will retail for YEN 25,000 or less in Japan.

Fair price but still hoping that they will go for the "or less" option. There are many lauch titles on my "must own" list so the more I can save on the console, the better. :D

mrgreen4242
May 25, 2006, 08:19 AM
Fair price but still hoping that they will go for the "or less" option. There are many lauch titles on my "must own" list so the more I can save on the console, the better. :D

In every interview with Iwata he has hinted so strongly at $199 being a "historical price point for Nintendo consoles" that I'll run naked through my office if it's more than that. Seriously, I've seen him say this like 4 times since E3.

2nyRiggz
May 25, 2006, 09:47 AM
Thats alot for a overclocked GC(let it begin!) but i will still get it......i'm getting a PS3 too so yea $250 is nothing.

Bless

takao
May 25, 2006, 09:58 AM
well they said on the japanese coference less than 25.000 (which was the original price for every system since the super NES from them)
that gets translated to 174 euros or 224 dollars... i guess it's gonna be 199 € and 199$ just like it happend the last few times ;)

i hope they add the classic controller thing into the box

(and both wireless controllers and wlan being standard beats the competitors for what ? 300$ ? 250 $ ?)

jdechko
May 25, 2006, 10:00 AM
In every interview with Iwata he has hinted so strongly at $199 being a "historical price point for Nintendo consoles" that I'll run naked through my office if it's more than that. Seriously, I've seen him say this like 4 times since E3.

Yeah, I've heard that a lot as well, and that's what I expect it to be priced at. Seriously, I'm probably going to have only about $300 on launch day to put down for the console + Zelda. I'm walking out with those two things definitely. But if the console is 250, that's all I will be getting, and I really want SSBB and/or Prime 3 (if it is indeed released on launch day).

Haoshiro
May 25, 2006, 10:07 AM
Thats alot for a overclocked GC(let it begin!) but i will still get it......i'm getting a PS3 too so yea $250 is nothing.

"Overclocked", a term that people love to throw around regarding the Wii, is very inaccurate. Perhaps people don't know what that word actually means.

Wii is an "overclocked" GC just as much as PowerBook G4 is just an "overclocked" PowerBook G3.

If a chip is designed to double the speed of its predecessor natively it cannot be considered overclocked. Now if they had take the exact same hardware (not just architecture) and increased it's operating frequency in order to "squeeze" more performance out of it... THEN you could call it overclocked. :P

2nyRiggz
May 25, 2006, 10:14 AM
^I know it wasn't long....i love doing that:) :p .....hey how about the DS being a overclocked GBA?

Bless

Haoshiro
May 25, 2006, 10:29 AM
^I know it wasn't long....i love doing that:) :p .....hey how about the DS being a overclocked GBA?

Yeah, I knew you did it on purpose, hence the "(let it begin!)" but just in case you actually believed that, or made others think it were true, I thought I'd comment anyway - even if you were just doing it to stir something up. :P

As for your other "question" (riiight)... consider essientially GBA = SNES and DS = N64, and SNES was purely 2D hardware (save that FX chips used on StarFox, etc) and the N64 was designed for 3D.... then yes, of course the DS is just an overclocked GBA, duh!

And the PS3 is an overclocked PS2, essentially the PS2.5 (Sony just rounded up). :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BlizzardBomb
May 25, 2006, 10:36 AM
I think $250 would be a good price point. I hope they push for $200 though ;)
Still very cheap though. Try buying a perfect condition NES, SNES, N64, GC, Mega Drive and TurboGrafx 16 console and you'll soon see why even at $250 it's such a great buy. Couple that with the Wii-Fi, the Wiimote, the 512MB flash memory, the web browser, WiiConnect 24 and the other features and you've got unbeatable value for money.

mrgreen4242
May 25, 2006, 10:47 AM
I think $250 would be a good price point. I hope they push for $200 though ;)
Still very cheap though. Try buying a perfect condition NES, SNES, N64, GC, Mega Drive and TurboGrafx 16 console and you'll soon see why even at $250 it's such a great buy. Couple that with the Wii-Fi, the Wiimote, the 512MB flash memory, the web browser, WiiConnect 24 and the other features and you've got unbeatable value for money.

If they had the classic controller and two Wiimotes in the box, plus WiiSports, that'd be a helluva buy... I know they said they weren't planning on putting the classic controller in there, but it would really make sense to ensure that every system had at least one standard controller, just to give an easy out for developers who want to do a cross-platform release, but don't want to redesign everything around the Wiimote (which some games, I am sure, wouldn't benefit from anyways).

Am I the only one who hopes that a bundled "pointer" controller with a system will mean a resurgance of "light gun" games? I mean, those typically aren't to popular because they require you either but a game AND a fairly expensive specialty controller, or the game includes it and is either more expensive, or lower quality as a result.

But, with the Wii, everyone has everything you NEED (you could play with just the Wiimote, even if a gun add-on would be better). Those are generally some of the best arcade games, usually because you need equipment you don't have at home... I want an on-rails Resident Evil shooter Wii exclusive!

sam10685
May 25, 2006, 11:38 AM
I've seen him say this like 4 times since E3.

E3 just got done less than 2 weeks ago. is he allowed to talk that much?

sam10685
May 25, 2006, 11:45 AM
There are many lauch titles on my "must own" list so the more I can save on the console, the better. :D

i think everyone would agree with that. 15 of the games that have been announced are games i plan on buying.

mrgreen4242
May 25, 2006, 11:49 AM
E3 just got done less than 2 weeks ago. is he allowed to talk that much?
Iwata can do whatever the hell he pleases.

Spanky Deluxe
May 25, 2006, 01:04 PM
Oooh... I can't wait!!

Even though chances are in the UK it'll be released at about 160. We like to be ripped off, honest.

I'll be putting a deposit down on one of these in the not so distant future.

sam10685
May 25, 2006, 01:30 PM

sweet... must be why Nintendo kicks ass so hard. same with Jobs/Apple.

Dagless
May 25, 2006, 08:03 PM
Well the DS has 2 processors, a 3D chip etc. so it's a lot more than an overclock. Unless overclocking means adding more chips these days.

I'm confused :)

You know what I can't wait for with the Wii? the running cost. My brother has to always shut his 360 down when he's not using it. No sleep for him. just adds so much to the power bill. "a small bulb" running cost will be nice. since I just installed energy saving and halogen bulbs in my room to cut costs down.

Haoshiro
May 25, 2006, 08:07 PM
Well the DS has 2 processors, a 3D chip etc. so it's a lot more than an overclock. Unless overclocking means adding more chips these days.

I'm confused :)

You know what I can't wait for with the Wii? the running cost. My brother has to always shut his 360 down when he's not using it. No sleep for him. just adds so much to the power bill. "a small bulb" running cost will be nice. since I just installed energy saving and halogen bulbs in my room to cut costs down.

I think you were replying to my sarcasm... lol!

As for 360, yeah... but no diff then any other system, only with 360 I can turn the system off with my wireless controller! ;)

The Wii "sleep" mode does sound nice though, I guess.

Dagless
May 25, 2006, 08:12 PM
Oooh... I can't wait!!

Even though chances are in the UK it'll be released at about 160. We like to be ripped off, honest.

I'll be putting a deposit down on one of these in the not so distant future.
150 here. mark my words ;)

Nintendo want's a closer launch window so I can't imagine them dropping the price before UK launch like the GC last time.

2nyRiggz
May 25, 2006, 08:16 PM
I like the $250 price tag....cheaper than all. I guess i might need a big TV to play my Wii on..can't imagine playing it on my monitor....don't really care for the sleep thing.

You guys do know the DS thing was a joke right.....dance i say dance!

Bless

kretzy
May 25, 2006, 08:21 PM
Hopefully it'll be $199 in the US, that way it should be just under $300 here which I think is a fairly reasonable price.

sethypoo
May 25, 2006, 08:37 PM

Bless

How about growing up and thinking of a new joke.:mad: :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I am stoked about the price. Just the fact it's going to be under $250 is good enough for me. I hope that our friends over in the UK see a corresponding price point, i.e., not 250 pounds.

GFLPraxis
May 25, 2006, 08:42 PM
The Japanese price has been promised as under $222. We could still get a $200 price tag...

since I just installed energy saving and halogen bulbs in my room to cut costs down.

Then let's just hope that this completely unconfirmed rumor about halogen bulbs interfering with the Wii controller's signal (http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=58308) is incorrect :p

2nyRiggz
May 25, 2006, 08:48 PM
How about growing up and thinking of a new joke.:mad: :rolleyes:

I would crack on you but it would be in bad taste.....so i'll leave you alone(for now). Think they will have a bundle at launch..maybe throw in an extra controller GFLPraxis?

Bless

sam10685
May 25, 2006, 08:54 PM

Bless

i'm pretty sure it'll have more tech. specs than just an overclocked GC thing.

BurtonCCC
May 25, 2006, 09:11 PM
Nice! I haven't had a console since Dreamcast, so this will probably be my entry into the market, along with the DS Lite on June 11. How much will the games cost for the Wii?

Daniel.

DEXTERITY
May 25, 2006, 09:24 PM
our first party games will be $50. Can't speak for third party.

paleck
May 25, 2006, 10:39 PM
I for one plan on buying a Wii just to show my contempt for the prices of xBox and Playstation. I think it is ridiculous that these companies want/expect us to pay $400+ for the console, plus $60 games and a monthly fee so that we can download updates for those games.

I think it shows irresponsibility on the part of Sony and Microsoft to come up with consoles that will literally break the bank. Okay I'm done :D

Bubbasteve
May 25, 2006, 11:37 PM
I for one plan on buying a Wii just to show my contempt for the prices of xBox and Playstation.
I'm going to buy the Wii because the games look really fun...but your reason work too

GFLPraxis
May 26, 2006, 12:32 AM
Nice! I haven't had a console since Dreamcast, so this will probably be my entry into the market, along with the DS Lite on June 11. How much will the games cost for the Wii?

Daniel.

Like DEXTERITY said. Nintendo basicly stated, all their games will be $50, they don't know what third parties will charge.

The third parties I talked to at E3 said they hadn't decided whether to charge $50 or $60. One of them speculated that it might be like the N64, with all the third parties charging higher prices than Nintendo at first, then later in the life cycle the third parties getting the picture and reducing to match Nintendo.

GFLPraxis
May 26, 2006, 12:34 AM
I would crack on you but it would be in bad taste.....so i'll leave you alone(for now). Think they will have a bundle at launch..maybe throw in an extra controller GFLPraxis?

Bless

That would be nice :) If we get lucky maybe it'll ship with a game. Nintendo is trying to go for a retro feel with the system, and all the old systems shipped with a game and controller...

Maybe it'll come with Wii Sports. That game was kind of a giant tech demo to show off the capabilities.

michaelltd
May 26, 2006, 01:04 AM
That would be nice :) If we get lucky maybe it'll ship with a game. Nintendo is trying to go for a retro feel with the system, and all the old systems shipped with a game and controller...

Maybe it'll come with Wii Sports. That game was kind of a giant tech demo to show off the capabilities.

That is what I'm hoping for as well. I would like it to come with two sets of controllers instead of just one (After all, it's Wii, not just Mii) and Wii Sports.

CorvusCamenarum
May 26, 2006, 01:12 AM
I miss the days when $199 got you the console, two controllers, and at least one game to start. At this point I don't mind buying the first game separately, as I know not everyone wants Mario, but it would definitely be nice to have two controllers come with it (who started the bad idea of bundling only one?). All that aside, I take "under $250" to mean $249 on the sticker.

Dagless
May 26, 2006, 07:15 AM
I don't care what they charge, so long as it's cheaper than the 360 in the UK. I will be walking out of the shop with at least 4 controllers and maybe about 5 games on day 1. A cheap console will let me do that.

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 08:09 AM
I don't care what they charge, so long as it's cheaper than the 360 in the UK. I will be walking out of the shop with at least 4 controllers and maybe about 5 games on day 1. A cheap console will let me do that.

Sounds like me... I picked up a Xbox 360 Premium and 3 extra controllers at about the same time. Although I only picked up 1 game (Burnout Revenge). Hexic HD, Geometry Wars, and Halo 1/2 fill the void until my sweepstakes winning come in (DoA4, Oblivion, Tomb Raider, Far Cry, and GRAW).

mrgreen4242
May 26, 2006, 08:24 AM
Like DEXTERITY said. Nintendo basicly stated, all their games will be $50, they don't know what third parties will charge.

The third parties I talked to at E3 said they hadn't decided whether to charge $50 or $60. One of them speculated that it might be like the N64, with all the third parties charging higher prices than Nintendo at first, then later in the life cycle the third parties getting the picture and reducing to match Nintendo.

That would be stupid. If anything it should be the other way around... Nintendo makes some of the most well known, best produced games in the market. If you have a choice between Metroid @ $50 and Red Steel @ $60 it's not going to be a choice. Hopefully publishers will realize that they aren't going to sell much at a higher price point than Nintendo is asking... if anything they should be trying to undercut Ninty with $40 games!

The other thing I can see being an issue with 3rd parties at $60 is the Wii likely being a "2nd console" to many gamers. If you have a 360 and can get the HD, 5.1 sound version of a cross platform game for the same price... well, I can easily see why that would be an issue. This wouldn't hurt the developer/publisher at all, but it would be bad for Nintendo.

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I recall going in to Wal-Mart quite a while after the release of PS2/GameCube/Xbox and seeing a sole Nintendo64 game still being sold: Mario 64, for $39.99 ... wow a N64 launch title still retailing for $40!

jdechko
May 26, 2006, 09:56 AM

If it ships with any game, I believe Wii Sports is the one to ship with. As you said, its more like a tech demo anyway, and not everyone wants Mario. (Twilight Princess will sell regardless of the system price or the game price, so why even bother to bundle it).

Id like to see this: Wii + 2 Controllers + Wii Sports all for $250.

OR

Wii + 1 Controller + No Game for $200.

It seems like it would be comparable (assuming the controllers run about $30).

BurtonCCC
May 26, 2006, 11:16 AM
(After all, it's Wii, not just Mii)
I laughed out loud at this. I know. I'm a big dork. Anybody know if the ability to download old games will cost anything?

Daniel.

GFLPraxis
May 26, 2006, 11:21 AM
I laughed out loud at this. I know. I'm a big dork. Anybody know if the ability to download old games will cost anything?

Daniel.

It's like iTunes for games. Pay per download.

BurtonCCC
May 26, 2006, 12:00 PM
It's like iTunes for games. Pay per download.
Oh okay, cool.

Daniel.

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 12:11 PM
IGN had a roundtable (http://revolution.ign.com/articles/710/710181p1.html) discussing this news, and while it was a mostly worthless read I do think Matt made a good point.

If it was going to sell for $250 (249.99) then why wouldn't they have just said so instead of being vague? I think they would have. If anyone remembers, earlier Nintendo has said "it be will be less then $300" now they say "it will be less then $250".

They have said it will be 25,000 Yen in Japan which is what all of their home systems have sold for their. What have they always sold for in the US? $199.99 - NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube all retailed for $199.99

I will be surprised if they do not launch at $199.99, be that higher or lower.

Now if they had a second package that included Wii Sports and a second controller, that would be a good fit for a $249.99 price tag, imo.

Being "under $200" I think is very important for mass-consumer adoption.

jdechko
May 26, 2006, 12:42 PM
Ok, so I just got back from grabbing lunch at the Wal-mart Subway. While I was there I stopped in the games section (as always) just to check things out. Lo and behold, there was a Nintendo rep there, putting out some new DS demos (not sure what games, but anyway). So I asked her about the release date of the Wii. She gave me the "we're not sure" answer... which I figured. Anyway, then she told me basically the same thing that we already know about the price: "Under $250". So I asked her about the possibility of $199 to which she responded that "It was possible, but she doesn't know as they haven't finalized the bundling yet."

Then she asked if I'd seen the new DS Lite in person and proceeded to show me her's (along with a copy of New SMB in the game slot).

Anyway, just confirming nothing we didn't already figure.

sam10685
May 28, 2006, 05:24 PM

i want to be Iwata so i can say "i want something that plugs into my brain and downloads information and lets me control the little guy on the tv." AND have that happen.

atari1356
May 28, 2006, 10:36 PM
I will be surprised if they do not launch at $199.99, be that higher or lower.

Now if they had a second package that included Wii Sports and a second controller, that would be a good fit for a $249.99 price tag, imo.

How about:

$199 for the console plus one Wiimote/nunchuck set

$249 for the console plus two Wiimote/nunchuck sets, Wii sports, and the DVD player option (details still unclear on what exactly that will be, but I want it)

Of course, if they really want them to fly off the shelves, then they'll include Wii sports in a $199 package - and throw both that and Zelda: Twilight Princess in with the $249 one. :eek: :D

sk1985
May 29, 2006, 12:47 AM
My bet is 199.99 to 224.99. Somewhere in that range is the magic number.

sam10685
May 29, 2006, 12:49 AM
Of course, if they really want them to fly off the shelves, then they'll include Wii sports in a $199 package - and throw both that and Zelda: Twilight Princess in with the $249 one. :eek: :D

i seriously dobt they would sell a package including a major title like Zelda Twilight Princess. Wii sports is a possibility so u can learn ur way around the controller.

Bubbasteve
May 29, 2006, 01:03 AM
I would really like Wii Sports bundled with the Wii. I would also like all the games to be in the $40-$50...we'll just have to wait and see what Nintendo has to say.

BlizzardBomb
May 29, 2006, 03:47 AM
How about:

$249 for the console plus two Wiimote/nunchuck sets, Wii sports, and the DVD player option (details still unclear on what exactly that will be, but I want it)

How about...

$199 - Wii, Wii Sports + Wiimote w/ nunchuck
$249 - Wii, Wii Sports, DVD player, 3 free Virtual Console downloads (or however it'll work) + 2 Wiimotes w/ nunchucks.

Of course it all depends on how much the Wiimotes will cost. Anyone want to hazard a guess?

Dagless
May 29, 2006, 06:11 AM
Nintendo will not do 2 SKU's. Shops on the other hand will have some number of packages available *looks at Game*

130- Wii, 2 controllers, Wii Sports -this is what ships from Nintendo-
170- Same as above with Twilight Princess, selection of 2 other gamecube games
OR
170- Same as the first but with 2 Wii games.
200- Same as above with an extra Wii game.

Of course buying a Wii will halve the price of the DS Lite instore.

I think I know Game too well :o

GFLPraxis
May 29, 2006, 01:51 PM
Nintendo will not do 2 SKU's. Shops on the other hand will have some number of packages available *looks at Game*

130- Wii, 2 controllers, Wii Sports -this is what ships from Nintendo-
170- Same as above with Twilight Princess, selection of 2 other gamecube games
OR
170- Same as the first but with 2 Wii games.
200- Same as above with an extra Wii game.

Of course buying a Wii will halve the price of the DS Lite instore.

I think I know Game too well :o

Nintendo might do multiple SKUs, they just wouldn't cripple the low end. I can see a single player and multi-player bundle, the multiplayer one coming with an extra controller, two virtual console shells, and Wii Sports...

sam10685
May 30, 2006, 06:02 PM
How about:

how 'bout -$199 ~ console, wiimote, nunchuck
-$249 ~ console, 2 wiimotes, 2 nunchucks, Wii sports.

Wii sports is going to be a cheap 10 or 20 dollar game anyway because it's just meant to get u used to the controller. (((com'on Nintendo... spill it... i'm pullin' my hair out...)))

jdechko
May 31, 2006, 10:20 AM
how 'bout -$199 ~ console, wiimote, nunchuck
-$249 ~ console, 2 wiimotes, 2 nunchucks, Wii sports.

Wii sports is going to be a cheap 10 or 20 dollar game anyway because it's just meant to get u used to the controller. (((com'on Nintendo... spill it... i'm pullin' my hair out...)))

Or maybe...

No, I'm just kidding... We could sit here all day and speculate about what sort of bundles Nintendo will/could release. Even if it is 250 for just the console and 1 controller with no games, it will still be the coolest console this generation; they'll still fly off the shelves and be a huge hit. It will still be the cheapest of the 3 consoles. We'll all buy one regardless. Anyway, hurry up Nintendo, you're driving us all crazy. We'll throw our money at you if you just give us the opportunity. I know I will.

MacRumorUser
May 31, 2006, 11:29 AM
Here's my theory, going on interviews with the reps from Nintendo...

$149-179 / 149-179 / 99-120

Console, Wii Remote and Nunchuck included in the pack. That's it.

Games retail at $49 49 35

cyberdogl2
May 31, 2006, 11:35 AM
199 for remote, analog attachment, and wii sports, few free old nes,snes,n64 games for users who go online with their wii.

it's the bare minimum to have everyone who buys it, a chance to show off to other people how fun the machine is, and the people will either buy the second controller, or, buy a wii of their own.

BlizzardBomb
May 31, 2006, 11:53 AM
Here's my theory, going on interviews with the reps from Nintendo...

$149-179 / 149-179 / 99-120

Console, Wii Remote and Nunchuck included in the pack. That's it.

Games retail at $49 49 35

Sounds good to me. 39.99 (29.99 on Amazon ;) ) has been the norm for GC games here, so I expect that will continue.

The GC launched at 129 here (although it was meant to be 150) so I guess 129 will be the launch price again. Well, that's if Nintendo wants to be consistent, although if they charge any more Nintendo will be in BIG trouble if Microsoft announce a price drop. I'd hate to see the Wii on sale for the same price as an Xbox 360.