PDA

View Full Version : [360] Lots of OS updates

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 06:56 AM
I just noticed an article on IGN about a bunch of updates headed to the 360 OS (the Guide?)...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/710/710202p1.html

Being able to queue up to 6 downloads AND play other games in the process is a huge thing for me... I was so disappointed when I couldn't do this after first using the download feature.

Lots of other great updates, too... if you ask me!

im_to_hyper
May 26, 2006, 07:05 AM
This is a great feature and I am really looking foward to it. It took 11 minutes to get the Halo 3 trailer, all while I had to just let my 360 sit there doing nothing.

The music thing is pretty cool, too. I miss that ability from the original Xbox to play your own music in-game.

srobert
May 26, 2006, 09:03 AM
A welcomed improvement. It will now have all the functionality that I thought should have been there. Thumbs up!

My personal favorites:

1) Playing while downloading.
2) Option to launch to dashboard even when a Game is in the DVD tray.

Still no official release date? From the old (accidently posted?) press release it was supposed to be last Monday. :confused:

Anybody here who owned their 360 since before the last January update can tell us how the update will be distributed?

On a side note, I'm really starting to enjoy downloading game demos. It makes my shopping experience much smarter. I don't end up with games that I thought I would liked but that are actually not to my taste. It also allows me to discover some decent games worth buying I would not have risked trying otherwise. I really hope the PS3 and Wii will allow us to do the same.

Now we need more 360 games! The next games I plan on buying on the 360 are all scheduled for 2007 :/ (I don't usually buy sports/driving/shooters games) I might give Blue Dragon, Enchanted Arms and Too Human a shot if the reviews are decent.

AJ Muni
May 26, 2006, 09:21 AM
I think slowly, but surely the Xbox 360 is turning into a hell of a system. With all the updates, demo downloads, ALOT of more games being released, xbox live arcade (UNO now, and vintage games coming), fixing games (CoD2 lag, MLB freeze,) etc. It's come long ways since its launch a couple of months ago. I truly love my 360.:D

P.S. Any1 want to post the complete list of updates here? I cant go into game related sites here at work. (Damn websense!)

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 09:23 AM
A welcomed improvement. It will now have all the functionality that I thought should have been there. Thumbs up!

My personal favorites:

1) Playing while downloading.
2) Option to launch to dashboard even when a Game is in the DVD tray.

Still no official release date? From the old (accidently posted?) press release it was supposed to be last Monday. :confused:

Anybody here who owned their 360 since before the last January update can tell us how the update will be distributed?

On a side note, I'm really starting to enjoy downloading game demos. It makes my shopping experience much smarter. I don't end up with games that I thought I would liked but that are actually not to my taste. It also allows me to discover some decent games worth buying I would not have risked trying otherwise. I really hope the PS3 and Wii will allow us to do the same.

Agreed, a lot of this stuff I already expected... but not having it has made me realize even more how great the features are, so I'm looking forward to the updates.

I had heard the update was due at end of this month or first week of June.

And yeah, the game demos are nice. Of course, if PC gaming is an indication, sometimes demos can be done so badly that they make a game seem worse then it is. But Microsoft has stated they saw a very notable rise in FN3 sales after the demo was released, so with that positive effect I'm sure we'll continue to see more demos. The new Kameo demo was an improvement, made me consider picking it up... and Perfect Dark Zero demo just came out... looking forward to forming my own opinion on that soon.

SilentPanda
May 26, 2006, 09:23 AM

The article above says next week if it makes you feel a smidge better.

jdechko
May 26, 2006, 09:37 AM
I really hope the PS3 and Wii will allow us to do the same.

It's definitely a possibility on the PS3, but I highly doubt that it will be capable on the Wii, unless there's an official HD add-on announced. Otherwise, there's just no space on the Wii's internal storage (512Mb of flash... might be enough for 1 or 2 demos, but I really doubt it).

mkubal
May 26, 2006, 09:37 AM

Shouldn't it be delivered in the same manner as all the other smaller updates? That being the 360 will warn you that you can't sign into live until you download and install the update, you hit the "ok, do your thing, 360" button and off it goes.

srobert
May 26, 2006, 09:41 AM
Shouldn't it be delivered in the same manner as all the other smaller updates? That being the 360 will warn you that you can't sign into live until you download and install the update, you hit the "ok, do your thing, 360" button and off it goes.

Maybe. I haven't owned my 360 long enough to have gone through one of those updates so I wouldn't know. A message when loging does sound appropriate.

XNine
May 26, 2006, 09:45 AM
The 360 always asks if you want to update. It only takes a mintue or two max to do it.

The one thing I want them to fix, is after downloading, when I selct "Play trailer" or "Play Demo" it takes me to the demo or trailer pain to sort through and find what I just downloaded. Just play it. Seriously.

mkubal
May 26, 2006, 09:54 AM
The one thing I want them to fix, is after downloading, when I selct "Play trailer" or "Play Demo" it takes me to the demo or trailer pain to sort through and find what I just downloaded. Just play it. Seriously.

I absolutely agree. I think this actually peeves me more than having the box entirely tied up while downloading said trailer. Speaking of which, I just don't understand how background downloads wasn't part of the original dashboard design.

If that was all they fixed, I'd be happy. Well that and they need to stop taking forever to release arcade games. Seriously, how hard could it be to code PacMan for the 360? Make it happen.

JDOG_
May 26, 2006, 10:15 AM
P.S. Any1 want to post the complete list of updates here? I cant go into game related sites here at work. (Damn websense!)

Sure...
(from Joystiq):

---------------

"MSFT announces first major Xbox 360 update

Posted May 26th 2006 12:35AM by Christopher Grant
Filed under: Microsoft Xbox 360

I just spoke with Aaron Greenberg, Group Marketing Manager for Xbox Live, about the first major update to the Xbox 360 since last November's launch. The spring update is expected to be released to all Xbox Live users "in about a week" and will be followed up with a fall update, as part of their plan to release two major updates each year.

Read on for details about all the improvements and additions, including background downloading, boot to Dashboard, and improved Marketplace layout.
Xbox Live Marketplace

Aaron talked about how XBLM has grown compared to their expectations: by E3, they expected roughly 100 items available, after E3 there's over 1000. They expected 3-4 million downloads by E3, after E3 there's been 24 million. Lower download per item, which is to be expected.

New Media and Entertainment Menu

The upgrade has focused content into groups. Despite promising categories like "Television" and "Short Films" there's been no announcement of additional content to populate them. DirecTV maybe?

The popular iPod AAC plugin has also been placed "near the top" to streamline that process.

Games Menu

The Games screen now has a "Newly Released" section, so new additions to the Xbox Live Arcade, or new game demos, can be quickly located and downloaded.

Demos and Game Videos

Themes and Gamer Pictures

New Background Download Manager

View Active Downloads

The single most requested feature: background downloading. As detailed earlier, you'll have a queue ...

Manage Up To 6 Downloads

... with up to six download slots available. You'll be able to use the console as usual while downloading; if you take a game online, the downloads will pause until you're done.

Downloads are Easier to Find

Trailers has become Game Videos. In addition, you'll be presented with options upon completion of a download: play now, apply theme now, etc.

Fast Forward/Rewind All Downloaded Marketplace Videos (2X-16X)

Simply play/pause functionality when playing back downloaded clips was another major annoyance. Glad to see this has been added, even if this sort of functionality is really basic.

Music Player & DVD Playback Improvements

Although the CD player previously queried the internet to populate artist/track information, Greenberg assures me this functionality has been improved. The major enhancement is that the custom music you're playing -- whether from an iPod, CD, HDD, or network share -- will stay consistent as you switch from one console function to the next. No more tracking down the playlist you were listening to and starting over.

The DVD player also supports bookmarking now; if you're watching a movie and receive an invite from a friend, you can replace the movie disc with a game and return to the same spot in the movie when you resume it.

General Usability Enhancements

Similar to an instant messaging client, you'll be able to set your status as away (red) when your console has been inactive for a certain period of time (15 minutes).

There will also be "full" USB keyboard support ... goodbye clumsy text entry, hello wireless USB keyboard!

New Startup Feature - Launches Direct to Dashboard

Another major feature request, especially those that use their console as a media center extender. Instead of automatically booting into whatever game is loaded in the drive, you'll be able to set your console to boot into the Dashboard by default.

You'll need to have your Xbox 360 online and an Xbox Live account to download the update (it takes "less than a minute"), but it won't be available to burn to a CD ala backwards compatibility updates. They plan on eventually bundling the update with retail game discs for those of you without an online console.

Greenberg was quick to note that previous updates have either been one-off game-specific updates (like PGR3) or security-related updates (like that mysterious one in March?). As for when to expect it, considering Major Nelson's earlier warnings regarding demos not being made available on Fridays (as they're unable to observe potential errors), we're guessing it won't be next Friday but the week of the 5th. There will be a list of all additional features on Xbox.com in the coming week."

Notable pictures (these might not show up for you):
http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/05/xbl_dash_update8u.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/05/xbl_dash_update10u.jpg
http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/05/xbl_dash_update12u.jpg
http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/05/xbl_dash_update2u.jpg

Abulia
May 26, 2006, 10:20 AM
Excellent!

XBL was already a great service, now it's just gotten better. This update solves all of my XBL complaints. Very excited to get it! :)

DougTheImpaler
May 26, 2006, 10:30 AM
That's what I expect; that's what happened when I first plugged a LAN cable itno my 360 and turned it on.

I'm like everyone else, I'm ecstatic about background downloading. I've been getting by with my downloads by turning on the auto-off and then starting a download before I go to bed...big demos get cut off that way, though...:(

XNine
May 26, 2006, 10:42 AM
OH! The other thing I want to see is that I want the ability to turn NOTICES on for games, and OFF for DVD's. I would think the console could tell the difference. If it can't then it's retarded.

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 10:55 AM

According to the article, they have indeed fixed that. Definitely was annoying and I was totally confused the first few times when it didn't Play what it said it would... I thought I might have pressed the wrong button. When you choose something that says "Play", you just expect that to happen!

AJ Muni
May 26, 2006, 11:10 AM
Sure...

Thanks alot JDOG.. Yea pics didnt show up but its cool...

srobert
May 26, 2006, 11:23 AM
About the last pic: "Optional iPod support" ? What is that?

Abulia
May 26, 2006, 11:30 AM
About the last pic: "Optional iPod support" ? What is that?Allows the 360 to play Apple iPod (AAC) files. Does not support Fairplay DRM, however; Apple has that locked down.

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 11:51 AM
Allows the 360 to play Apple iPod (AAC) files. Does not support Fairplay DRM, however; Apple has that locked down.

I really wish they would work that out! Heck, what would be awesome would be iTMS right in the system as an additional blade, marketplace, or under Media.

Speaking of the Media section, I find it annoying that Game Trailers do not show up there! bah.

jaw04005
May 26, 2006, 12:26 PM
What I find annoying is the videos section of the media blade. What's it for? I can't delete the preloaded content there, stream video to my 360 through Windows Media Connect or dump new content on the hard drive with an external USB device.

It looks like they failed to fix that this time around too.

Edit: By the way, WMC supports streaming video, but Microsoft decided to prevent 360 owners from using that functionality.

mkubal
May 26, 2006, 12:37 PM
About the last pic: "Optional iPod support" ? What is that?

To add to what Abulia said, the optional iPod support has always been there, but it was filed in some strange place. I think it was under game downloads or something similar. The new update will apparently fix the strange way things were organized before, thankfully.

The menu organization on the 360 actually reminds me a bit of my Moto phone. You just have to get used to where things are.

JDOG_
May 26, 2006, 04:38 PM
To add to what Abulia said, the optional iPod support has always been there, but it was filed in some strange place. I think it was under game downloads or something similar.

Ideally they'd make the iPod support a core part of the dashboard code since the download is so tiny, but given that that dashboard is so miniscule compared to it's XBOX 1 counterpart I don't see it happening.

I'm just glad it's there. It's really great for people without Windows PCs to drop in a few gigs of music at their discretion. :cool:

I am definitely looking forward to this update. Downloading anything off marketplace is just so much effort. While increasing their bandwidth would be preferrable, adding queued downloading to the mix is a definite first step to marking marketplace a great selling point to XBOX 360, and a more enjoyable experience to those who use it already.

DougTheImpaler
Jun 5, 2006, 01:47 PM
so wasn't this supposed to come out last week? I want my queued downloads! :D

Abulia
Jun 5, 2006, 10:42 PM
so wasn't this supposed to come out last week? I want my queued downloads! :DTomorrow at 2am PST. Here's the quickie:Xbox Live Marketplace Enhancements

New background download manager gives gamers the ability to queue up and download six high definition items at a time including playable game demos, Xbox Live Arcade games, music videos and movie trailers while actively playing games or browsing the dashboard. As an added benefit, if gamers engage in multiplayer gameplay while downloads are in process, the new background download manager will automatically pause the download queue until the multiplayer session is complete ensuring a continuously optimal gameplay experience.

Updated Xbox Live Marketplace menus makes it easier for players to find and store all of their gaming and entertainment content. This includes the addition of new menus for media and entertainment content as well as enhanced menus making it easier for gamers to find what’s new in each section as well as a quick view at all downloads by category.

Full remote control features for Xbox Live Marketplace videos allow gamers to fast forward and rewind at various speeds (2X-16X) during all videos downloaded from Marketplace.

Piarco
Jun 6, 2006, 06:33 AM
I already thought that you could use wireless USB keyboards? I've been using my wireless Gyration keyboard since I got my 360 in January without a problem....

risc
Jun 6, 2006, 06:47 AM
Installed and working fine. FYI though I had to chuck a game in to get the update to install.

aswitcher
Jun 6, 2006, 07:02 AM
I hear this update upscales DVDs. Can anyone confirm? Does it do this only over VGA - or does it upscale to component?

MacRumorUser
Jun 6, 2006, 07:16 AM
I hear this update upscales DVDs. Can anyone confirm? Does it do this only over VGA - or does it upscale to component?

Does it? :eek: I was just looking to buy a DVD uspcaler, that would be wicked if true. Is the update available now?

aswitcher
Jun 6, 2006, 07:40 AM
Does it? :eek: I was just looking to buy a DVD uspcaler, that would be wicked if true. Is the update available now?

Yes, just out. I think the upscaling is only over VGA though...which is disappointing if true because i was hoping to do it all over the component.

Redline13
Jun 6, 2006, 09:20 AM
I think slowly, but surely the Xbox 360 is turning into a hell of a system. With all the updates, demo downloads, ALOT of more games being released, xbox live arcade (UNO now, and vintage games coming), fixing games (CoD2 lag, MLB freeze,) etc. It's come long ways since its launch a couple of months ago. I truly love my 360.:D

You know your spot on. Microsoft is really getting the 360 right. This update has some great new features and really tightens things up.

Piarco
Jun 6, 2006, 09:27 AM
Yes, just out. I think the upscaling is only over VGA though...which is disappointing if true because i was hoping to do it all over the component.

On the back of that I've just ordered the VGA cable! Unfortunately my 360 is dead so is away for repair/replacement for the next 10 days... but will look forward to it getting back for all of these nice updates!

mkubal
Jun 6, 2006, 09:34 AM

Isn't it the case that it's being upscaled regardless? I was under the impression that (assuming you have an HD TV), if not the DVD player, at very least the TV was upscaling the content itself. I could be wrong, but if a DVD movie fills the screen of an HD set doesn't something along the chain of electronics have to be scaling things to the TVs resolution?

Wether or not the scaler does a decent job was the issue I thought.

Is anyone here in a unique position to confirm or disconfirm my suspicions?

Abulia
Jun 6, 2006, 10:41 AM
I'm not at home right now to test -- and I already have an upscaling DVD player -- but unless the update changes something, the 360 is only a progressive scan player (480p). It doesn't do any upscaling.

If the update now lets it upscale to 720p/1080i then that's great. Personally, I'm not impressed with any game console's DVD abilities, and my 360's DVD output pales in comparison to my dedicated upscaling player (Panny S97s) that cost me under $250.

Abulia
Jun 6, 2006, 10:55 AM
Here's the complete list (http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/) of all 125 updates.

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 01:54 PM
How big was the download? Sometimes my 360 disconnect while I download large game demos. Will the update be able to resume normally if it hangs? Can't wait to try it out.

mkubal
Jun 6, 2006, 02:02 PM
How big was the download? Sometimes my 360 disconnect while I download large game demos. Will the update be able to resume normally if it hangs? Can't wait to try it out.

The update is very small from what I can tell. I took about a minute for my 360 to download and install. That's on a 3Mb connection that acts like a 1.5Mb connection most of the time.

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 02:07 PM
The update is very small from what I can tell. I took about a minute for my 360 to download and install. That's on a 3Mb connection that acts like a 1.5Mb connection most of the time.

Terrific! With all the improvements, I was expecting something heftier.

Excuse my ignorance…*is the update installed on the hard drive or on some sort of flash ROM? If on the flash ROM, does it has lots of space or future improvements? A little clueless here. ^_^

DougTheImpaler
Jun 6, 2006, 02:13 PM
Excuse my ignorance…*is the update installed on the hard drive or on some sort of flash ROM? If on the flash ROM, does it has lots of space or future improvements? A little clueless here. ^_^
A very good question. I have a hard drive, but not everyone does. Would be nice if it's in flash ROM but that's kinda big for that sort of thing, isn't it?

well most of the improvements are for downloading anyway...guess it doesn't matter too much if you don't have a HDD.

MacRumorUser
Jun 6, 2006, 02:29 PM
The DVD via VGA works very well. Very much improved picture quality, but shame still no multi-region :(

Haoshiro
Jun 6, 2006, 03:20 PM
Terrific! With all the improvements, I was expecting something heftier.

I'm pretty sure you cannot access Xbox Live without some sort of storage device, and even Backward Compatibility requires the HDD.

My small guess is that you don't get the updates unless you have an HDD (or something else that the system allows to store such updates on).

JDOG_
Jun 7, 2006, 05:57 PM
Looks like you can play music in XBOX 1 games as well. I started a thread about it here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=207363) before I realized it would have a place here :rolleyes:

Woot!

benyaimin
Jun 7, 2006, 08:06 PM
can't wait to download this update. They should have had the thing w/ downloading when playing games earlier. I spent so much time waiting for demos to download. lol.

benyaimin
Jun 7, 2006, 08:10 PM
are there any more original games that work with the update?

sb58
Jun 7, 2006, 08:11 PM
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm
just look for things with a NEW sticker next to it.

jaw04005
Jun 10, 2006, 09:14 AM
Just installed the update last night. It killed my 360. Now, all I get is on boot is 1/2 the xbox 360 logo. :(

kuyu
Jun 10, 2006, 09:58 AM
I read an interview with Peter Moore some time back that foretold of these semi-annual updates to Live/Dashboard. The coolest part about it has to be that their ideas for updates come primarily from gaming blog message boards! What a novel practice. Listen to the people that own it, file away their complaints, fix them.

I know Joystiq had a running list of 360 Annoyances, and this update fixed almost all of them. Well done MS. Now if only they could get the boxes to last for more than 6 months without breaking down...

Piarco
Jun 10, 2006, 03:56 PM
Just installed the update last night. It killed my 360. Now, all I get is on boot is 1/2 the xbox 360 logo. :(

Same thing happened to me after the last COD2 update. After getting the 1/2 360 logo, I followed the troubleshooting guide (rebooting after unplugging HDD/PSY etc) and ultimately it ended up with the dreaded 3 red lights of doom.

Its with Microsoft as I type....

jaw04005
Jun 10, 2006, 10:48 PM
Same thing happened to me after the last COD2 update. After getting the 1/2 360 logo, I followed the troubleshooting guide (rebooting after unplugging HDD/PSY etc) and ultimately it ended up with the dreaded 3 red lights of doom.

Its with Microsoft as I type....

I'm so pissed off about it. Microsoft is sending me a box via UPS Ground. The CSR told me to expect it to be gone for at least a full two weeks, however lately there has been delays up to 4 weeks. That's ridiculous.