PDA

View Full Version : Japan Polled: Loves Wii, PS3 too expensive.

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 08:01 AM
This information is taken from an article on IGN (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/710/710133p1.html), which is based on information released by Famitsu from a ~300 person poll they conducted from 5/15 - 5/18.

Most Interested In:
1. Wii - 68.8%
2. PS3 - 21.0%
3. Xbox 360 - 7.2%
4. DS - 3.0%

Who will win the next-gen race?
1. Wii - 73.0%
2. PS3 - 22.6%
3. Xbox 360 - 4.4%

Opinion of PS3 price:
1. Too High - 88.4%
2. Reasonable - 10.9%
3. Too Low - 0.7%

Expected cost of Wii:
1. 25,000 ($223) - 52.6%
2. 30,000 ($268)
3. 35,000/20,000 ($312/$178)

Most anticipated upcoming games:
1. Zelda Twilight Princess (Wii)
2. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
3. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
4. Smash Brothers X (Wii)
5. Dragon Quest Sword (Wii)
6. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
7. Final Fantasy III (DS)
8. Monster Hunter 3 (PS3)
9. Resident Evil (Wii)
10. Halo 3 (Xbox 360)

------------------------------

This was actually surprising to me. PlayStation has been the king of Japan for a long time, and while I expected interest in Wii to be better then GameCube, I did not expect a poll like this to have such one-sided results in favor of Wii.

It also looks like people in the Sony homeland think the PS3 is too expensive as well... not a good sign... especially with such large interest in the much cheaper Wii.

These results make me wonder if Nintendo may actually overthrow the Sony regime with the Wii, taking the homeland back. Before seeing this poll I really thought it was a given that PS3 would reign supreme, with Nintendo improving its profits thanks to Wii, but not actually taking over.

And did I miss the Resident Evil for Wii announcement? I must have...

Bubbasteve
May 26, 2006, 08:23 AM
I see the Japanese have no love for Bill Gates and his Xbox 360 ;)

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 08:25 AM

Yeah, no surprise there! Well.. except that 4.4% of those polled actually thought 360 would win the next-gen race... lol!

mrgreen4242
May 26, 2006, 08:28 AM
Interesting that the Xbox rated so low on "interest in" yet Halo 3 made the top 10 anticipated games list. I suppose, though, that all the 7% of 360 fans polled said they were looking forward to Halo 3, while the other systems split their votes a bit. 7% would be enough to make #10 on a top 10 list.

takao
May 26, 2006, 08:41 AM
kinda surprising especially from a famitsu poll... a 360 shooter in the top10 ? what the hell did happen there ?

i guess we simply have to wait but the ds lite still continues to sell like crazy with all the other sales cooling down after the holiday week over there...

jdechko
May 26, 2006, 09:49 AM
... There were about 300 people surveyed. In 2004, there were about 130 million people living in Japan, so this survey is hardly representative of the population. Im gonna have to say that the survey results are way off. However, I think the Wii is still gonna be wildly popular throughout the entire world. If the buzz surrounding the Wii is any indication of how it will sell... this is gonna be crazy.

MacRumorUser
May 26, 2006, 10:05 AM
To see how popular the Wii will be in Japan, all you have to do is look at the DS, which is as much a cultural phenomenon as the ipod - in comparison to the psp.

Japanese are already buying DS in record numbers, theyre inquisitive taste is already been sparked by the DS match, wait till they get their hands on the Wii....

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 10:58 AM
... There were about 300 people surveyed. In 2004, there were about 130 million people living in Japan, so this survey is hardly representative of the population. Im gonna have to say that the survey results are way off. However, I think the Wii is still gonna be wildly popular throughout the entire world. If the buzz surrounding the Wii is any indication of how it will sell... this is gonna be crazy.

Small surveys like this are common, though. The logic is that 300 randomly chosen people will not just happen to have the same bias. This may be too american/old to work as a proper example, but the TV game show "Family Feud" is based on surveys consisting of only 100 people for each topic. The results in general are still very accurate even though the number surveyed was very small.

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 11:01 AM
To see how popular the Wii will be in Japan, all you have to do is look at the DS, which is as much a cultural phenomenon as the ipod - in comparison to the psp.

Japanese are already buying DS in record numbers, theyre inquisitive taste is already been sparked by the DS match, wait till they get their hands on the Wii....

Yeah, that is what I have been thinking too. I think the system is great on a global scale but especially perfect for Japan who tend to be fairly zany (look at their commercials, tv/movies, games, etc.)

I just wonder if Sony is strong enough to withstand getting trampled in their homeland. I mean, if the majority go for a Wii exclusively Sony stands to lose BIG. They are already barely profitable as it is, the coming few years will be very interesting to watch I think.

sk1985
May 26, 2006, 02:34 PM
Small surveys like this are common, though. The logic is that 300 randomly chosen people will not just happen to have the same bias. This may be too american/old to work as a proper example, but the TV game show "Family Feud" is based on surveys consisting of only 100 people for each topic. The results in general are still very accurate even though the number surveyed was very small.
This man is correct. Also you'd be surprised how accurate a random small sample of people can be (if done with the right proportions to a society's population (macro level) or done with a sampling of a specific group of interest (micro level) ). I learned about it in one of my psych classes. TV and Radio rating were done this way at one point (I believe radio is still done this way). Basically they'd send out a thousand or so cards out with a list of shows people watched or listened to the most. When these cards were collected they saw what people tuned into and gave that show it's appropriate ratings for that week.

I must say though a sampling of 300 people versus Japan's millions of citizens isn't really good survey to judge. Also you'd need to know several things about the survey such as, if it was done in only one community or at random parts of Japan, these people's social economic background, and various other things to take into account that I don't feel like listing. Basically this was a flawed survey at best. But in all honesty what do you expect from a video game magazine? These people aren't researchers.

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 03:43 PM
This man is correct. Also you'd be surprised how accurate a random small sample of people can be (if done with the right proportions to a society's population (macro level) or done with a sampling of a specific group of interest (micro level) ). I learned about it in one of my psych classes. TV and Radio rating were done this way at one point (I believe radio is still done this way). Basically they'd send out a thousand or so cards out with a list of shows people watched or listened to the most. When these cards were collected they saw what people tuned into and gave that show it's appropriate ratings for that week.

I must say though a sampling of 300 people versus Japan's millions of citizens isn't really good survey to judge. Also you'd need to know several things about the survey such as, if it was done in only one community or at random parts of Japan, these people's social economic background, and various other things to take into account that I don't feel like listing. Basically this was a flawed survey at best. But in all honesty what do you expect from a video game magazine? These people aren't researchers.

I would venture to guess this survey group was comprised entirely of Famitsu readers, so the number surveyed should be compared to their readers, not the population of Japan as a whole! heh.

They are the #1 gaming publication in Japan, but I have no idea how many readers they have. :)

~Shard~
May 26, 2006, 03:56 PM
Hahahaha right, 300 people polled out of 127 million - yeah, that's an accurate representation... :rolleyes:

I'd take these numbers with a grain of salt. The acid test will be when the Wii and PS3 are released. Then people will vote with their wallets and then you'll see some real data. :cool:

Dagless
May 26, 2006, 04:14 PM
I've been saying all along that the next console thing is just going to be an echo of the DS and PSP. I'll say it till I'm blue in the face, like this guy " ;) " but I won't.

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 04:43 PM
Hahahaha right, 300 people polled out of 127 million - yeah, that's an accurate representation... :rolleyes:

I'd take these numbers with a grain of salt. The acid test will be when the Wii and PS3 are released. Then people will vote with their wallets and then you'll see some real data. :cool:

While I certainly can't vouch for the results of this particular poll, I can say that it certainly could be. First, "127 million" is not accurate. 127 million gamers in Japan? I think not. Best to compare versus the readers of the magazine, Famitsu. I for one don't have those numbers. Also, a condensed number of people for a statistical survey is standard. The few can be very accurate at predicting the masses. Poll 100 people or poll 1000, the breakdown should pretty much be the same.

The true test is definitely on release, surveys like this only indicate possible result predictions and can still be helpful at giving insight to public perception... lopsided ratio or not.

mrgreen4242
May 26, 2006, 05:12 PM

Actually, if they are chosen randomly, the margin of error in that poll is about 5.7%. So, not a great survey, but not all that nuts either.

In case anyone is interested in the "shortcut" method for determining the margin of error for a survey of any very large group (it actually may apply to small groups as well - I'm not a statistician, just someone forced to take far to many math classes), it is E = 1/sqrt(N), where E is margin of error in %, and N is the sample size. It's not precisely correct, but will put you within a tenth or a hundredth or something like that.

That also assumes, again, that the survey is completely random from within the group, which are means that it is distributed fairly evenly across subgroups as well. I don't know anything about this poll, but if it was done by a Japanese gaming magazine or something, it would be more accurate to say that XX.X% of Japanese gamers think Y, with 5.7% margin of error.

Also, of statistical interest is all those polls you see in magazines and newspapers that claim "XX% of Americans Y, margin of error 3%" (which is a very common margin of error for those sorts of polls) have only actually asked (roughly) 1000 people out of the 350 million in the country.

mkaake
May 26, 2006, 06:59 PM
maybe I'm just a cynic or something, but who cares? I'm squarely behind Nintendo, but what does it matter if Sony sells more PS3's, or if Microsoft sells more 360's? Does it really matter if your friend / relative / enemy buys a console that you don't plan on buying? Isn't the winner of a console war the consumers who get satisfaction from the games they choose to play?

*shrugs shoulders*

Pistol Pete
May 26, 2006, 07:06 PM
well honestly how popular is ign in japan haha

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 08:17 PM
maybe I'm just a cynic or something, but who cares? I'm squarely behind Nintendo, but what does it matter if Sony sells more PS3's, or if Microsoft sells more 360's? Does it really matter if your friend / relative / enemy buys a console that you don't plan on buying? Isn't the winner of a console war the consumers who get satisfaction from the games they choose to play?

*shrugs shoulders*

It actually could matter when it's Japan. This isn't just about someones "friend", it's about the companies homeland image.

This is of course speculation... but follow me through the idea. Say these poll results indicated, at least to a good degree, what percentage of the japanese gamers purchased the systems. This would mean extremely low sales of PS3 in Japan. If this was sustained it could nearly kill Sony. A company with product that isn't getting sold is a company not making any profit.

If Sony does not get enough systems out there then not enough software will sell, which means PS3 starts dying. A bad couple years and developers won't want to develop for it, plus Sony needs to recoup the massive losses of developing and launching a new system.

Now that is all theoretical. PS3 could launch and be a huge success in Japan. But these polls don't indicate much enthusiam for it. If this was close to accurate for all gamers in Japan, it could spell serious trouble for Sony as a company.

So in terms of war, consider it a "possible" or "predicted" critical blow to Sony... potentially a war losing blow, that sends companies into bankruptcy. Sony is barely profitable already.

Again, though, that's just all theoretical! I'm just trying to describe why this could be important, and why it's at least interesting to discuss.

~Shard~
May 26, 2006, 08:32 PM
Actually, if they are chosen randomly, the margin of error in that poll is about 5.7%. So, not a great survey, but not all that nuts either.

In case anyone is interested in the "shortcut" method for determining the margin of error for a survey of any very large group (it actually may apply to small groups as well - I'm not a statistician, just someone forced to take far to many math classes), it is E = 1/sqrt(N), where E is margin of error in %, and N is the sample size. It's not precisely correct, but will put you within a tenth or a hundredth or something like that.

That also assumes, again, that the survey is completely random from within the group, which are means that it is distributed fairly evenly across subgroups as well. I don't know anything about this poll, but if it was done by a Japanese gaming magazine or something, it would be more accurate to say that XX.X% of Japanese gamers think Y, with 5.7% margin of error.

Also, of statistical interest is all those polls you see in magazines and newspapers that claim "XX% of Americans Y, margin of error 3%" (which is a very common margin of error for those sorts of polls) have only actually asked (roughly) 1000 people out of the 350 million in the country.

Yeah, that's a good point - if they were indeed chosen randomly - I'm not sure if that is the case here though... ;)

Interesting statistics though, thanks for those. :)

DEXTERITY
May 27, 2006, 10:46 PM
If you look at the weekly charts we already have the homeland. Give or take a percentage or two Nintendo accounts for 67% of the systems sold every week. While its mostly because of the handhelds we still own most of the market in Japan. Same goes for the top 10 games.. Majority are DS games.

zap2
May 27, 2006, 10:55 PM
It actually could matter when it's Japan. This isn't just about someones "friend", it's about the companies homeland image.

This is of course speculation... but follow me through the idea. Say these poll results indicated, at least to a good degree, what percentage of the japanese gamers purchased the systems. This would mean extremely low sales of PS3 in Japan. If this was sustained it could nearly kill Sony. A company with product that isn't getting sold is a company not making any profit.

If Sony does not get enough systems out there then not enough software will sell, which means PS3 starts dying. A bad couple years and developers won't want to develop for it, plus Sony needs to recoup the massive losses of developing and launching a new system.

Now that is all theoretical. PS3 could launch and be a huge success in Japan. But these polls don't indicate much enthusiam for it. If this was close to accurate for all gamers in Japan, it could spell serious trouble for Sony as a company.

So in terms of war, consider it a "possible" or "predicted" critical blow to Sony... potentially a war losing blow, that sends companies into bankruptcy. Sony is barely profitable already.

Again, though, that's just all theoretical! I'm just trying to describe why this could be important, and why it's at least interesting to discuss.

I agree PS3 could be a blow to Sony, it will never kill them. Rich people will buy the PS3 and say its the best thing ever. Also following the PS2 which had a huge fan base(why i don't know) if the PS3 get half of PS2 owners to buy it, sony will be fine. Also Sony can survive being in the whole for a few years, look at Apple.

As much as i want sony to die on the PS3 it won't happen. The PS4 and PS5 will have to suck even more then the PS3(assuming it does bad) Also this is assuming PSP2 does not do good. Case i see killing Sony.

PS3=Loses them billion
PSP-does not help them enought to break even
PS4=Loses them billion
PSP2-Loses them billion
Sony dies or quits the gaming bussiness

2nd possible case
PS3- Loses money but is good enought, making it look like not long term damage to Sony
PSP2-bad and overprice makes sony lose 100s million
PS4-After a crap PS3, the PS4 was not good enought, it did not bring any new PS3 user to the PS4, and they may even lose some.
PS5-Make it cheap to because they can no long stand losing money when they sell PS5. Its cheap and crappy and no one likes it. Sony does or leave the gaming market

zap2
May 27, 2006, 10:57 PM
Yeah, no surprise there! Well.. except that 4.4% of those polled actually thought 360 would win the next-gen race... lol!

Ya the 360 is nice but not next gen. it an xBox on steroids, that said i will buy it when it gets Halo 3

GFLPraxis
May 27, 2006, 11:57 PM

*shrugs shoulders*
Because if the Wii does not sell well, third parties don't support it. Look what happened to the GameCube. We want Nintendo to not be considered a niche so we get some serious third party support, and so it's no longer dismissed as a kiddie or niche system.

GFLPraxis
May 28, 2006, 12:00 AM
As much as i want sony to die on the PS3 it won't happen.
Honestly though, do you really want Microsoft to replace Sony? Even if the XBox 360 is a better product than the PS3. Microsoft is famous for doing horrible things to the market once they have a dominant marketshare and use it to completely destroy the competition, then jack up the prices- see the Department of Justice's findings.

I really hope Microsoft never gets in the dominant position. As a company. This is not anti-XBox, just Microsoft.

mrgreen4242
May 28, 2006, 12:41 AM
Ya the 360 is nice but not next gen. it an xBox on steroids, that said i will buy it when it gets Halo 3

It's going to be very interesting to see if Sony can pull off what their fans seem to think they are going to be getting with the PS3.

MacRumorUser
May 28, 2006, 04:59 AM

So the PS3 with only BluRay as a difference is suddently next gen, when its power is basically exactly the same as the 360. :rolleyes:

Dagless
May 28, 2006, 05:46 AM
So the PS3 with only BluRay as a difference is suddently next gen, when its power is basically exactly the same as the 360. :rolleyes:

ZOMG U cannoyt say tat teh ps3 has teh 4d and has teh 120fsp nd is reeely awesum!!1 X-box is teh SLOW1 it has teh bag graphix and is OLDd1 s

Haoshiro
May 28, 2006, 11:50 AM

Now I didn't say, or suggest, that. Every new console is a more powerful version of the last... look at SNES? I think people might just be a little spoiled by the introduction of the 3D era.

N64/PS1 brought in 3D, but in a very basic way (new tech). GCN/PS2/Xbox really realized the 3D potential. This "next-gen" doesn't have that "new tech" like SNES vs PlayStation/N64 so it's just harder to notice.... there is no "4D".

TVs are finally catching up to computer monitors in terms of resolution, so HDTVs, while nice, are not really that much of a "wow" factor. Either are high resolutions. CG movies and special effects in movies put game graphics to shame and are more and more prolific. Simpy put, there isn't a lot in this "next generation" to "wow" us.

That doesn't mean the power leap is any different. If Xbox 360 is Xbox1.5, then PS3 is PS2.5, but that is not that case.

PS3 benefits from having the weakest current gen machine, so in this generation the leap Looks bigger then Xbox to 360, but only because PS2 was weaker then Xbox from the start. The Before and After pictures are just more pronounced is all. ;)

Dagless
May 28, 2006, 12:35 PM
there is no "4D".
Sony would have you believe otherwise :rolleyes: :rolleyes: their comment tickled me so much I could have died. There's the obvious "we're better than our competition" speech, but that was something ELSE!

PS3 benefits from having the weakest current gen machine, so in this generation the leap Looks bigger then Xbox to 360, but only because PS2 was weaker then Xbox from the start. The Before and After pictures are just more pronounced is all. ;)

Exuctly. Thats what I like about Nintendo, they hold back until a tech is stable, popular and useful enough to warrant using (online gaming, disc formats etc). Because of their sit-back-and-see style they always jump ahead with technology, unless it's something huge that warrants a risk (gyro controllers, analogue stick, rumble etc).
No CD? Make up for it with a mini DVD based system with as close to no-load times as we have without caching.
No online? mass, free, simple to use online service.
No 3rd party support? make it extremely cheap and easy to develop for.
Each step seems bigger with Nintendo. Maybe not so much in the graphical, first impressions part with the Wii, but the things behind it. Online, the controller, the game line up. improvements. The 360 didn't have far to go. Just stick a few little extras in there, new CPU and GPU and we're good to go. I say 'good', I wouldn't mind a 360 at the moment. It passed into my OK books since it got some semi-decent games.

mrgreen4242
May 28, 2006, 03:01 PM
Sony would have you believe otherwise :rolleyes: :rolleyes: their comment tickled me so much I could have died. There's the obvious "we're better than our competition" speech, but that was something ELSE!

Exuctly. Thats what I like about Nintendo, they hold back until a tech is stable, popular and useful enough to warrant using (online gaming, disc formats etc). Because of their sit-back-and-see style they always jump ahead with technology, unless it's something huge that warrants a risk (gyro controllers, analogue stick, rumble etc).
No CD? Make up for it with a mini DVD based system with as close to no-load times as we have without caching.
No online? mass, free, simple to use online service.
No 3rd party support? make it extremely cheap and easy to develop for.
Each step seems bigger with Nintendo. Maybe not so much in the graphical, first impressions part with the Wii, but the things behind it. Online, the controller, the game line up. improvements. The 360 didn't have far to go. Just stick a few little extras in there, new CPU and GPU and we're good to go. I say 'good', I wouldn't mind a 360 at the moment. It passed into my OK books since it got some semi-decent games.

I've said this before, but Nintendo has an innovate/improve cycle. They made the NES, which was innovative (multi cart machine with a d-pad, etc). SNES was an improvement on that. Nothing hugely innovative in the SNES era, just the perfection of 2D gaming. The N64 introduced 3D and the analog stick. The GCN just "perfected" that design. The Wii is a new branch of home gaming, and I'm betting that the Wii2 will be a Wii with PS3-ish power levels, HD movie playback, and a perfection of the controllers and the online service. Who know what they will do next.

zap2
May 28, 2006, 03:16 PM

Wow back up, when did i say the PS3 is next gen?:confused: IT'S not but it's ahead of 360 as far as new tech goes, with Cell and Blue Ray, but the price makes it a terrible. Now the Wii is next gen, it puts something new into gaming, and thats what a next gen console is

zap2
May 28, 2006, 03:20 PM
Honestly though, do you really want Microsoft to replace Sony? Even if the XBox 360 is a better product than the PS3. Microsoft is famous for doing horrible things to the market once they have a dominant marketshare and use it to completely destroy the competition, then jack up the prices- see the Department of Justice's findings.

I really hope Microsoft never gets in the dominant position. As a company. This is not anti-XBox, just Microsoft.

Really MS makes some good hardware, take a look at Sony, they were wining the console war after Ps2/xbox/GC and now they have pretty much blown it(its not looking like they will sell the most units) I fear what Sony would do if Nintendo and MS left the gaming market, because look what they are trying to do with them in the market. But MS is not going anywere, as they are still new to the market

Dagless
May 28, 2006, 04:51 PM
I've said this before, but Nintendo has an innovate/improve cycle...

Aye I picked up on that when I got my Cube. Which did feel like a beefed up N64 with a more traditional, and the most comfiest controller ever.

the handhelds have a pattern too. They remain a generation behind their console brethren graphically.
Nes- Gameboy Colour
Snes- Gameboy Advance
N64- DS
Gamecube- ?

Patterns patterns everywhere. The only one I don't see repeating is Sony dominating. I had a thought earlier, Sony's bread and butter was the casual gamer. Warp back to the old PS1 days when they enticed gamers in with their non-epic games, their quick racers etc. Games for the average player. That held me when I was a kid, but since growing up I ditched the PS2 for the Gamecube and stuck at more elated and engrossing adventures like Metroid.
Know what the thing about casual gamers is? the nature of being casual is not putting too much effort in, not spending too much for a certain console. If Sony somehow ditched their whole image that has been cemented with 3 game machines, and swop to a deeper more involving series of games then yes. They might be worthy of spending more money on. But 430+games for the PS2 in HD is not going to be worth it to many, many people.

Then again most gamers are idiots. My brother is a prime example (get this for stupidity), he has a chipped Xbox with a larger HDD that he dumps games to. he could, in theory (he would have no qualms about it) he could borrow Tomb Raider off someone and dump it. But! He's after a 360. What game does he want to blow 50 on? Tomb Raider 360. I tried explaining that he could buy it for 20 for the Xbox in a shop but he won't listen. He has an SDTV, no 5.1, no internet connection. I fail to see his reasoning, his judgement there. But hey, he can't be the only person who would fork out more just because he thought it was new, therefore special.

MacRumorUser
May 28, 2006, 05:58 PM
Wow back up, when did i say the PS3 is next gen?:confused: IT'S not but it's ahead of 360 as far as new tech goes, with Cell and Blue Ray, but the price makes it a terrible. Now the Wii is next gen, it puts something new into gaming, and thats what a next gen console is

Fair enough...

GFLPraxis
May 28, 2006, 07:37 PM
Really MS makes some good hardware, take a look at Sony, they were wining the console war after Ps2/xbox/GC and now they have pretty much blown it(its not looking like they will sell the most units) I fear what Sony would do if Nintendo and MS left the gaming market, because look what they are trying to do with them in the market. But MS is not going anywere, as they are still new to the market

Microsoft doesn't make good hardware- Microsoft bought $400 worth of hardware from NVidia and Intel, slapped it in a box for $300, and took a $4 billion dollar loss.

Then they went to IBM and ATi (who did the GameCube, which cost less than either system yet outperformed the PS2), gave them a wad of money, and said "Make us a console too".

Microsoft did a good job with Live. Other than that, they're just another manufacturer with a wad of cash.

They may be new but they've lost a lot of money so far.

zap2
May 28, 2006, 07:41 PM
Microsoft doesn't make good hardware- Microsoft bought $400 worth of hardware from NVidia and Intel, slapped it in a box for $300, and took a $4 billion dollar loss.

Then they went to IBM and ATi (who did the GameCube, which cost less than either system yet outperformed the PS2), gave them a wad of money, and said "Make us a console too".

Microsoft did a good job with Live. Other than that, they're just another manufacturer with a wad of cash.

They may be new but they've lost a lot of money so far.

i was saying over all MS is better at hardware then softwarem xBox and MS BT mice are nicer then Windows

GFLPraxis
May 29, 2006, 03:02 AM
i was saying over all MS is better at hardware then softwarem xBox and MS BT mice are nicer then Windows

The bluetooth mouse, yes, but XBox...Microsoft didn't develop any of the hardware in it, they just packaged a $400 system made with parts bought from Intel and NVidia and sold it for $300, taking a $4 billion loss. It was also several times fatter, heavier, and hotter than any of the other systems on the market. It's no miracle of hardware engineering.

steelfist
May 29, 2006, 03:05 AM
i have a feeling that sony will cut some corners on the ps3 even more, to reduce the cost to a more acceptable level.

considering the cost to produce the ps3, it's not that expensive. it's not like they got 100 worth of stuff and charge it for 500.

AppleinJapan
May 29, 2006, 04:42 AM
I don't mean to be rude here but since I have lived in Japan for what 7 plus years I'll make a comment....

A small survey is ok here because most japanese people follow tends - its like one person thinks one thing and then suddenly the whole nation is on the idea. I believe its called Groupism.....thats why the DS brain train craze is happening now - people love quizs here and now also Magic is really popular so alot of people are trying it..

Its hard to understand if you haven't lived here but it happens...

Oh and when the PS2 came out - alot of people here thought that it was expensive too....

and the X-box is still the loser here

Rickay726
May 29, 2006, 11:30 AM
what is WII? i have never herd of this.
i think that ps3 is going to blow everything out of the water
and for some reason i think that halo 3 is going to suck.
just like there was to much hype for the second one.

Dagless
May 29, 2006, 12:09 PM

Not knowing what we're on about and bad spelling - you're fired from this thread.
But to comment about what you said. You mean blow everything out of the water like the PSP did to the DS, which is exactly the same scenario again? Just without batteries and LCD screens.

zap2
May 29, 2006, 01:16 PM

for some reason i don't think your know anything about the subject? As YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT ONE OF THE NEXT 3 NEXT GEN CONSOLES are!! its only se:rolleyes:

Any reason for you think the third halo suck(hype about the 2nd one is over) and even if it suck it will still sell because Halo 1+2 were gods

Rant over kidos

zap2
May 29, 2006, 01:18 PM
The bluetooth mouse, yes, but XBox...Microsoft didn't develop any of the hardware in it, they just packaged a $400 system made with parts bought from Intel and NVidia and sold it for $300, taking a $4 billion loss. It was also several times fatter, heavier, and hotter than any of the other systems on the market. It's no miracle of hardware engineering.

Yes but was good, and the size of a home console is not super important, i liked the xBox, and as far an MS taking a lose and just putting stuff together, well i guess thats what we need.:) That said Gamecube was a great system aswell because Nintendo made cash and still rocked:D

GFLPraxis
May 29, 2006, 01:55 PM
Yes but was good, and the size of a home console is not super important, i liked the xBox, and as far an MS taking a lose and just putting stuff together, well i guess thats what we need.:) That said Gamecube was a great system aswell because Nintendo made cash and still rocked:D

It's not a good thing for a console company to lose $4 billion to give you the console; that's $4 billion AFTER game sales and XBox Live subscriptions. $4 billion not made up. They're going to eventually have to make that money back. They won't throw away money forever.

And again, if your system costs over twice as much to manufacture as one of your competitors (~$400 to make an XBox, less than $200 to make a GameCube) , is over twice the size, and yet is not significantly more powerful...you need to fire your engineers.

zap2
May 29, 2006, 02:02 PM
It's not a good thing for a console company to lose $4 billion to give you the console; that's $4 billion AFTER game sales and XBox Live subscriptions. $4 billion not made up. They're going to eventually have to make that money back. They won't throw away money forever.

And again, if your system costs over twice as much to manufacture as one of your competitors (~$400 to make an XBox, less than $200 to make a GameCube) , is over twice the size, and yet is not significantly more powerful...you need to fire your engineers.

I'm saying it good for me:p As far as bussiness, well MS need to get into the market with something good, and IMO i think they did. Now with the 360, and they will likly lose more $$ and not gain the same market as they did on Xbox, now its time to change the plan.

xBox was much more powerful then GameCube, the graphics on Halo 2 blew any GC game away. Again size is not important for the home system(as some as its not the size of a "house"

MS thinks the are making money with xBox, but they had to start some were and they put out $$ to get some back in the long run, because Sony and Nintendo had a big advantage of having a user base. All those xBox fans were taken away from Sony and Nintendo, so xBox did something right.

GFLPraxis
May 29, 2006, 02:17 PM
xBox was much more powerful then GameCube, the graphics on Halo 2 blew any GC game away. Again size is not important for the home system(as some as its not the size of a "house"

Not significantly. It was a bit more powerful, but certainly not 2x, and the GameCube could produce on par visuals with some of the best games- Resident Evil 4, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 2.

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/article/571/571605/halo-2-20041207070552187.jpg
vs
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/558/558788/metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102522001.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/614/614571/the-legend-of-zelda-gcn-20050516024605731.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/571/571376/resident-evil-4-20041206035721702.jpg

It's not 2x.

Moshiiii
May 29, 2006, 03:00 PM
I don't even bother myself with the console wars anymore. Its pretty obviouse what company is going in the right direction. When I hear my friends say PS3 is gonna be the best, I just look and smile.

srobert
May 29, 2006, 03:02 PM
And here is a similar poll hosted at Joystiq.com:

Pick your (reevaluated) console combo:

Link (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/28/joystiq-poll-will-the-ps3-price-affect-your-console-combo/)

Looking at the poll results at that point in time (21,341 votes):

Regarding the Xbox 360
Of the people polled:
• 59% of those buying one or more next-gen console will be owning a Xbox 360.
• 41% of those buying one or more next-gen console will not own a Xbox 360 at all.
• 6% of those buying only one console will chose the Xbox 360.

Regarding the Wii
Of the people polled:
• 87% of those buying one or more next-gen console will be owning a Wii.
• 13% of those buying one or more next-gen console will not own a Wii at all.
• 28% of those buying only one console will chose the Wii.

Regarding the PS3
Of the people polled:
• 21% of those buying one or more next-gen console will be owning a PS3.
• 79% of those buying one or more next-gen console will not own a PS3 at all.
• 5% of those buying only one console will chose the PS3.

:eek:

It's interesting I think that those 2 polls illustrate very clearly how the PS2/3 and Xbox/360 are perceived differently in Japan VS abroad.

Keeping those 2 polls in mind, I tend to come to the following prediction:
- Wii will be the clear winner worldwide (units sold).
- PS3 will be second in Japan, third in America (units sold).
- Xbox 360 vill be second in America, third in Japan (units sold).

Personally, I kind of hope that Joystiq's numbers are wrong or biased because I plan owning the 3 consoles and would love to see great developer support across the board.

_

Haoshiro
May 29, 2006, 03:55 PM
Wow, those results are pretty interesting. I must say online polls in general can be compromised relatively easy, since people voting multiple times *does* happen.

But still, with that many voters I'd say it's pretty telling. Surprising the lack of interest in PS3.

mac000
May 29, 2006, 06:46 PM
anyone think Nintendo is not trying to do "next-gen" graphics bc selling a cheaper system and more first party games will just MAKE them more money, JUST like the Gamecube?

i think it alll comes down to their profit , well obv.

GFLPraxis
May 29, 2006, 07:17 PM
anyone think Nintendo is not trying to do "next-gen" graphics bc selling a cheaper system and more first party games will just MAKE them more money, JUST like the Gamecube?

i think it alll comes down to their profit , well obv.

What, did you think Sony and Microsoft are in it for the joy of gaming? ;)

Dagless
May 29, 2006, 07:19 PM
What, did you think Sony and Microsoft are in it for the joy of gaming? ;)

That, sir, was the perfect reply to the silliest comment.

roach
May 29, 2006, 07:39 PM

Don't know if this thought as been posted...too lazy to read.

It's not a 360 thing, it's more of a Western thing. If you look at the top 10 most anticipated games, Western Base game companies have no top 10 for either PS3 or Wii. It's a different market that is sooo foreign to Western Companies...what sells here, doesn't necessarily sell in Japan. Other Asian countries are more in line with Western type games.

mac000
May 29, 2006, 08:42 PM
yea but i'm saying nintendo made more money off the gamecube even though it was so cheap and the games to top that, you understand what im saying?

hookahco
May 29, 2006, 10:35 PM
I agree PS3 could be a blow to Sony, it will never kill them. Rich people will buy the PS3 and say its the best thing ever. Also following the PS2 which had a huge fan base(why i don't know) if the PS3 get half of PS2 owners to buy it, sony will be fine. Also Sony can survive being in the whole for a few years, look at Apple.

As much as i want sony to die on the PS3 it won't happen. The PS4 and PS5 will have to suck even more then the PS3(assuming it does bad) Also this is assuming PSP2 does not do good. Case i see killing Sony.

PS3=Loses them billion
PSP-does not help them enought to break even
PS4=Loses them billion
PSP2-Loses them billion
Sony dies or quits the gaming bussiness

2nd possible case
PS3- Loses money but is good enought, making it look like not long term damage to Sony
PSP2-bad and overprice makes sony lose 100s million
PS4-After a crap PS3, the PS4 was not good enought, it did not bring any new PS3 user to the PS4, and they may even lose some.
PS5-Make it cheap to because they can no long stand losing money when they sell PS5. Its cheap and crappy and no one likes it. Sony does or leave the gaming market

Ya... A company netting about 1,000,000,000USD annualy will go out of business because of failed gaming consoles.

I can see that happening...:rolleyes:

Moshiiii
May 30, 2006, 12:25 AM
I'm curiouse to see how the "cool" gamer type will adapt to the Wii vs Xbox 360... The name Wii has grown on me alot, I like it and the word combination looks nice.

MacRumorUser
May 30, 2006, 03:34 AM
Wii and Xbox 360 is a cool combination, one I look forward to, just wish Nintedo would release a damn date and price...

Sony have teamed up with Bandai makers of the 'wonderswan' to come up with devices very similar to nintendo's console. In japanese it's codenamed 'pu'..

So there will be 'wii' & the 360 and lots of 'pu' on the PS3 ;)

:D :D :D

Haoshiro
May 30, 2006, 06:48 AM
Ya... A company netting about 1,000,000,000USD annualy will go out of business because of failed gaming consoles.

I can see that happening...:rolleyes:

It doesn't matter how much you net! But I'm sure you know that...

If you look at the financial situation the company is in, they have been reporting figures that barely make profit 1-2%, iirc. That is a very slim margin to play with. These companies invest huge amounts of money in R&D for a console, plus advertisement, distribution, and they take a loss on every piece of hardware sold. Unless I am mistaken, the Games division of Sony is currently it's only profitable division.

If you don't think a console can take down a company then look at Atari and Sega. Sure they are still "in business" but not nearly in the same capacity as they were (and Atari isn't even the same company, Infogrames bought the name).

There will probably always be people willing to invest in Sony, but a large financial failure would almost certainly cause a restructure and change the company a lot.

Not to say that will happen, just saying that it has happened to companies before, just because you are netting huge amounts of cash doesn't make you invincible! ;)

AppleinJapan
May 30, 2006, 10:16 AM
It's interesting I think that those 2 polls illustrate very clearly how the PS2/3 and Xbox/360 are perceived differently in Japan VS abroad.

- Xbox 360 vill be second in America, third in Japan (units sold).

_

Thats a very very distant third in Japan - in most stores its in the back hidden already !!!!!!!! and I have one too - I buy games from playasia.com so its ok....

GFLPraxis
May 30, 2006, 08:13 PM
Thats a very very distant third in Japan - in most stores its in the back hidden already !!!!!!!! and I have one too - I buy games from playasia.com so its ok....

This month, the XBox 360 is finally outselling the GameCube over there in Japan (I'm sure you know better than me of course ;) ). And of course, the GameBoy Micro is still outselling the XBox 360, as is the GameBoy Advance SP, and even the original GameBoy Advance continues to outsell the original XBox.

I am amused for hours reading Japanese sales figures :)

Moshiiii
May 30, 2006, 09:15 PM
I am amused for hours reading Japanese sales figures :)

Same here!

Smallville
May 31, 2006, 04:11 AM
I'm a casual player, and of the three "next generation" consoles, I'm getting a Nintendo Wii.

Why? Because when I look at an Xbox and Xbox 360 or a PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3, I don't see a whole lot of difference in how games are played.

I look at a Wii and see the challenge of learning how to play a baseball game with a controller that I physically have to move to swing the bat. Or swing a sword as Link.

Provided that the technology won't be crap, it just looks like more fun than getting yet another console where games are played with the traditional controller and the promise of supposedly better graphics.

Also, as someone who still loves to play the simple Mario games, being able to download some of those to a new system is appealling.

Right now, I have Xbox, but wish I could have talked the wife into the GameCube. I've always loved the Nintendo games that you can't get on the other systems like Zelda and Mario, etc.

The only game I still use the Xbox for is NCAA baseball. Other than that, it's our DVD player in the living room. What a waste.

Dagless
May 31, 2006, 04:54 AM
...The only game I still use the Xbox for is NCAA baseball. Other than that, it's our DVD player in the living room. What a waste.
If you missed the whole drama about me buying a PSP, you'd know I don't tolerate bad machines if I bought them myself. Luckily my folks bought me an Xbox some years ago.
Nintendo annoyed me with a special collectors Zelda disc. Which I never got, though they said they were going to send me one and just changed their minds. So I thought "well eff you then" and asked for an Xbox for Christmas. about 3 years ago now, if not more! I don't use it these days. The Cube gets sooo much playing with Smash Bros, Wave Race, F-Zero. but the Xbox just sits there gathering dust.

Haoshiro
May 31, 2006, 06:13 AM
...Or swing a sword as Link...

Someone missed the memo, you will not be literally swinging Link's sword in Twighlight Princess, you press a button just like the other games to swing. Disappointing, but true.

jimmi: That collectors disc is quite nice, I must say. But honestly I've never used it that much. I also have the gamecube Oot/Master Quest disc as well. I have so much Zelda on GCN it's crazy! Zelda 1, 2, OoT, Master Quest, and WW. :)

GFLPraxis
May 31, 2006, 09:40 AM
Someone missed the memo, you will not be literally swinging Link's sword in Twighlight Princess, you press a button just like the other games to swing. Disappointing, but true.

jimmi: That collectors disc is quite nice, I must say. But honestly I've never used it that much. I also have the gamecube Oot/Master Quest disc as well. I have so much Zelda on GCN it's crazy! Zelda 1, 2, OoT, Master Quest, and WW. :)

Only because TP is an up-port of the GameCube though. I expect the next Zelda will have sword swinging :)

coffey7
Jun 4, 2006, 09:22 PM
People in Japan are very weird.You should see some of the crazy things they are into. Videos with naked girls wiping crap on each other and other nutty things. I really could care what they think.Even if the 360 had the games they thought were the best they still would not buy them just to be loyal. Just think they rather play a game where your a fly sucking blood from people or a pile of garbage that rolls around and things stick to you instead of playing eder scrolls or halo. I think they are still mad about WWII. Hey they started it and we finished it.
Since the US market spends the most on games and systems we should get the games first.

Smallville
Jun 5, 2006, 02:20 AM

Hmm, I am very misinformed then.

I'll hold out hope for a new college baseball game, though!

Dagless
Jun 5, 2006, 05:41 AM
People in Japan are very weird.You should see some of the crazy things they are into. Videos with naked girls wiping crap on each other and other nutty things. I really could care what they think.Even if the 360 had the games they thought were the best they still would not buy them just to be loyal. Just think they rather play a game where your a fly sucking blood from people or a pile of garbage that rolls around and things stick to you instead of playing eder scrolls or halo. I think they are still mad about WWII. Hey they started it and we finished it.
Since the US market spends the most on games and systems we should get the games first.

Is it just me or is that slightly offensive?

since the US market spends most on games... yada yada... as a whole yes. but the UK pays MORE for individual games. We UK gamers must be more dedicated to pay the 3x for 1 game. Therefore WE 4 TEH WIN. I'd love to see some sales figures that support this.

As for the stereotyping Japanese... lets have some fun... so you're american? beer swilling fatso so lazy to do anything you want to buy a robot or get a cheap wife off eBay. So self centred and ego-centric that you were shocked and appalled when you were arrested for killing someone who trespassed on your land? that you mindlessly shout "woowoowoo" when something good happens, anywhere. That you have a number of trucks, all with names like "lu-ayne" or "sarah-ayne", all that would fail a British MOT. That you live in the sticks out of a shed made out of wood with your 7 kids all of which you share with a girlfriend of the same surname.

am I right? I must be. I stereotyped. because all americans are like that. Just as all us brits are tea loving, class obsessed, either speak "london" or "posh" and all watch the Queen at any given moment.

I really could care what they think
good! I'm glad you care. Caring is good.

I didn't know Japan started WW2? I thought it was all to do with the Nazi's over in Germany. I could be wrong though, see our propaganda was that Hitler started it all, that nasty man, and other countries joined them. Japan included.
Hell if we're talking about holding grudges and history then you have nothing to be proud about. What's this about US and Canada treating native indians badly? It's like, you keep US all to yourselves, no, Indians get the worst treatment and racist attacks and you shut out anyone coming up from Mexico! Yea, like US is perfect. like anywhere is perfect.

Haoshiro
Jun 5, 2006, 06:38 AM
jimmi: Your "stereotype", which I know was at least partially sarcastic, actually immediately makes me think of the state of Tennesee. lol! I have some distant relatives up there and it's creep "up in the hills" (as in: not in the city).

I often wonder where people acquire their stereotypes. Obviously ferretboy has not met even 50% of the japanese population, and likely has never even been to Japan. The same can be said for a lot of these 'international' stereotypes. My guess is the "media" is largely the big originator, a source which I consider to be largely flawed and rarely representative.

As for UK prices... do you think this has anything to do with import fees and taxes (including VAT)? Plus having to pay for any additional cost incurred by the company (such as separate distribution facilities, etc.)? It just seems like if the company is operating from a different country the costs for them would be higher, and thus higher for you.

MacRumorUser
Jun 5, 2006, 06:41 AM
Just as all us brits are ......, class obsessed,

I know your being sarcastic n cheeky :) but.
Actually mate, its not till you leave UK that you realise how class obsessed Britain really is.

Every pore of British society revolves around class - its only when I moved to a different country that doesnt have a class structure, it really became apparent.

Here it doesnt matter if your a doctor, a lawyer, work in a supermarket, collect the rubbish - people treat each other the same, there's no in-bred perception of one being better than the other... Yes there are poverty divides like any country, but not class structure divides steming from decades and decade of in built doctrination.

Other than that spot on.... But you missed that all Londoners clean chimneys and speak like Dick Van Dyke from Mary Poppins :D :D

coffey7
Jun 5, 2006, 06:52 AM

since the US market spends most on games... yada yada... as a whole yes. but the UK pays MORE for individual games. We UK gamers must be more dedicated to pay the 3x for 1 game. Therefore WE 4 TEH WIN. I'd love to see some sales figures that support this.

As for the stereotyping Japanese... lets have some fun... so you're american? beer swilling fatso so lazy to do anything you want to buy a robot or get a cheap wife off eBay. So self centred and ego-centric that you were shocked and appalled when you were arrested for killing someone who trespassed on your land? that you mindlessly shout "woowoowoo" when something good happens, anywhere. That you have a number of trucks, all with names like "lu-ayne" or "sarah-ayne", all that would fail a British MOT. That you live in the sticks out of a shed made out of wood with your 7 kids all of which you share with a girlfriend of the same surname.

am I right? I must be. I stereotyped. because all americans are like that. Just as all us brits are tea loving, class obsessed, either speak "london" or "posh" and all watch the Queen at any given moment.

good! I'm glad you care. Caring is good.

I didn't know Japan started WW2? I thought it was all to do with the Nazi's over in Germany. I could be wrong though, see our propaganda was that Hitler started it all, that nasty man, and other countries joined them. Japan included.
Hell if we're talking about holding grudges and history then you have nothing to be proud about. What's this about US and Canada treating native indians badly? It's like, you keep US all to yourselves, no, Indians get the worst treatment and racist attacks and you shut out anyone coming up from Mexico! Yea, like US is perfect. like anywhere is perfect.

If The U..S didn't get involved in WWII then England would not exist right now. and Japan launched the first attack to give us a reason to get involved in the war.Of course history books in other countries might have the usa as the bad guys and the Nazi's as the oppressed after WWI.

Haoshiro
Jun 5, 2006, 06:53 AM
I know your being sarcastic n cheeky :) but.
Actually mate, its not till you leave UK that you realise how class obsessed Britain really is.

Every pore of British society revolves around class - its only when I moved to a different country that doesnt have a class structure, it really became apparent.

Here it doesnt matter if your a doctor, a lawyer, work in a supermarket, collect the rubbish - people treat each other the same, there's no in-bred perception of one being better than the other... Yes there are poverty divides like any country, but not class structure divides steming from decades and decade of in built doctrination.

Funny, I thought that was something in movies and history! haha. Honestly, I thought that was done and gone, interesting to hear it's still a present and ongoing occurence.

MacRumorUser
Jun 5, 2006, 07:10 AM
Funny, I thought that was something in movies and history! haha. Honestly, I thought that was done and gone, interesting to hear it's still a present and ongoing occurence.

Yeah, just that when you live in that environment you dont really see it, I live in a very beautiful part of ireland, out of my window I can see mountains and fields leading out towards the sea, everyone who see the view say's wow what a lovely view, but I'm so used to it I take no notice.. That's the same with the UK and class structure, you live with it everyday and dont notice.

But from going to school the idea of betterment wasn't the gaining of knowledge or pursue something you love, it was to get a better job and climb the class ladder. You were either entrenched by your surroundings that you either had to get out of the 'working class' to be 'BETTER' or in some areas it was that you were stuck within that bracket and everything conspired to keep you in it... Really black and white...

You would rarely know say your Doctors, Lawyer, Headmaster etc.. first name, let alone ever call them by it.. Same with anyone who was deemed 'BETTER' and of a higher 'CLASS'....

But while you have a structure in the UK that point a 'monarch' over people and they are instantly designated as 'BETTER' because they are of a Higher Class things will never change over there. The structure is too ingrained...

I think the difference with Ireland is the recent history 1900-onwards (since the independance from the Britian, The famine and severe poverty going up to the ninteen seventies when the economy was VERY DIRE) meant that the class structure was ejected from the country when the Landlords were kicked out and everyone was in the same boat.. And that has stuck. Hence with the good turns of ireland and celtic tiger, everyone has benefited from the improved finances and people genuinly work together to improve economy and society, not out of some need to improve there class, but to just see a betterment of themselves and their environs.

If The U..S didn't get involved in WWII then England would not exist right now. and Japan launched the first attack to give us a reason to get involved in the war.Of course history books in other countries might have the usa as the bad guys and the Nazi's as the oppressed after WWI.

:rolleyes: ???? And if it wasn't for Christopher Columbus discovering America and subsequently the Europeans including a huge amount of English pilgrims going over and setting up home; America as it is today wouldn't exist either, and neither would most of your city names... What it has to do with anything ???

Haoshiro
Jun 5, 2006, 07:17 AM
I really think that is fascinating. Ireland seems like a grand place from all that I've heard... like care for employees, etc. Met a guy from Ireland and he was just amazed that there would still be shops and such still open at 23:00! I think he said where he was from things closed up around 18:00 and people generally went home to their families... none of this working your people to death with 10-12 hour days, 60-80 hour weeks.

Sounded grand to me...

MacRumorUser
Jun 5, 2006, 07:30 AM
I really think that is fascinating. Ireland seems like a grand place from all that I've heard... like care for employees, etc. Met a guy from Ireland and he was just amazed that there would still be shops and such still open at 23:00! I think he said where he was from things closed up around 18:00 and people generally went home to their families... none of this working your people to death with 10-12 hour days, 60-80 hour weeks.

Sounded grand to me...

Well things have chaged. We do have 24 hour shops in some towns and the pace of life in say Dublin is much faster than out here in the West, but I've lived in a few places and agree Ireland's great... People are warm and welcoming. Here in Kerry, almost everyone knows everyone and is obsessed by it. where do you come from, so your the ..... blah blah blah :) You know all your neighbours pretty much and the pace of life is sedate in comparison. We still have shops that close for lunch, or have half day closing, nothing is open on a bank holiday even when all the tourists are looking for somthing to do...

Peope will go out of their way to be helpful if your stuck for somthing and you recipricate. You do a favour for your neighbours knowing you might need a favour from them at some point in the future. It's like the old trade / barter system.

There are problems with a growing population, crime has obviously increased, especially in very urban areas (nearly 55-60% of population live in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway, the big cities . Our roads still have more pot holes in them than anywhere else in the world :)

But it's a generally young population with the median average age around 30 years, We have highest proportion of mobile phone users. 4 million population and 3.78 million mobile phones in 2005 alone :rolleyes: We have the highest Sony PS2 ownership outside of Japan per populace.

We know have one of the healthiest economys in the world and have high growth each year, that doesnt look like its going to abate anytime soon.

Amazing country and love it.

Haoshiro
Jun 5, 2006, 08:11 AM
Well I just hope it doesn't get overtaken with the virii that is Capitalism as the US has! Seriously, capitalism seems to really be go directly against the notion of community and neighborhoods, or any sort of positive social culture.

Too much drive for money and career around here... most the population seems obsessed with it and everyone is trying to start a business and profit from everyone else. It's just taken overboard, all of life here seems centered around it. People go to college/university (and are looked down on if they don't) not for social status for knowledge, but so they can have a career or start a business. Community, Family, and life in general is largely just disregarded.

Greedy little monkeys, the lot of them! (an insider's opinion) ;)

atari1356
Jun 5, 2006, 08:47 AM

It's not just you... the comment was very offensive.

This thread is getting way too political. :o

GFLPraxis
Jun 5, 2006, 09:24 AM
Just as all us brits are tea loving, class obsessed, either speak "london" or "posh" and all watch the Queen at any given moment.

There are brits who don't drink tea? :eek:

I kid, I kid!

Dagless
Jun 5, 2006, 12:18 PM
Amazing country and love it.

Agreed. I spent an entire week there before falling in love with it. I don't know why I made that bold. its not big or clever.
Yea it was good. we were going to move there, my pop got offered a job there so we went to investigate. Just spent time around Kells. beautiful. And the town that Pierce Brosnan grew up in... Cavan? Navan? something like that.

... what has any of this got to with games :confused: oh! Ireland don't deserve games because IT'S SO LITTLE POPULATED... or they deserve games 7 years later at the very least. because I make sense.

MacRumorUser
Jun 5, 2006, 12:37 PM
... what has any of this got to with games :confused: oh! Ireland don't deserve games because IT'S SO LITTLE POPULATED... or they deserve games 7 years later at the very least. because I make sense.

We got sidetracked :) So does Japan love the wii? :D :D :D

sam10685
Jun 5, 2006, 12:52 PM

why would they? they have Miyamoto and Iwata in their home country. as for me, i just think bill gates is a *****.

xrayzed
Jun 5, 2006, 05:25 PM
It doesn't matter how much you net! But I'm sure you know that...

If you look at the financial situation the company is in, they have been reporting figures that barely make profit 1-2%, iirc. That is a very slim margin to play with...

Not to say that will happen, just saying that it has happened to companies before, just because you are netting huge amounts of cash doesn't make you invincible! ;)Sony has annual sales of $US66 billion, and made a profit of $US1.5 billion last year. Not a great margin, but $1.5 bn is still a moderate amount of lunch money.

Of course they would rather have the PS line in profit instead of spilling red ink everywhere, but there is no way the PS is going to destroy Sony. They could write the whole division down and still be able to operate.

Haoshiro
Jun 5, 2006, 05:56 PM
Sony has annual sales of $US66 billion, and made a profit of $US1.5 billion last year. Not a great margin, but $1.5 bn is still a moderate amount of lunch money.

Of course they would rather have the PS line in profit instead of spilling red ink everywhere, but there is no way the PS is going to destroy Sony. They could write the whole division down and still be able to operate.

While I might very well be inclined to believe you... I don't believe either of us can actually say that and act like we actually know what we are talking about.

takao
Jun 6, 2006, 10:23 AM
We got sidetracked :) So does Japan love the wii? :D :D :D

well i just read another poll from another japanese gaming mag
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3162&Itemid=2

and the numbers are pretty close to the famitsu numbers

Dagless
Jun 6, 2006, 12:11 PM
We keep being brought back to the price issue. This is going to be a huge issue for the PS3, deny all you want. Look back at history with expensive consoles. When did it ever work?