Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3kids

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I've looked online at Apple and other stores also and I can't find just plain, OEM Apple earbuds. The tips ripped off one of ours and I want just basic Apple replacements. Can someone direct me to the origional earphones to purchase? The ones on ebay had some sketchy feedback about being poor quality and not genuine Apple replacements.

3kids

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I saw some bundles and the lanyard sets but was hoping to get off a little more cheaply. I just want a basic replacement for a teenage kid. Does Wal-Mart or someplace like that maybe sell something similar?

ManchesterTrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
If you don't care about it being Apple, you can buy earbuds for cheap from any store that sells electronics, including Walmart.

3kids

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I guess I'll have to look there. I really did want Apple, but just need the earphones. I hate to buy a package with extras I don't want.

Thanks for your help!

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Apple's stock earbuds are horrible IMHO. Just about any other brand sounds better depending on how much you want to spend and many come in white or black to suit your preferences. Do some searching on this site and you'll come across many threads dedicated to headphones.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
You can usually get replacements straight from apple. I can't remember the exact link (i've seen it on the forums somewhere before) but you can probaby get to it from this site: http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/

Usually apple will just send you new ones, no questions asked, aslong as you send back the old ones. If that doesn't work, they're are often people on the marketplace forum willing to sell. I'd give you my extra pair, but I just gave them to a friend a few days ago... sorry.

EDIT: That's the right link... here's the previous thread I mentioned: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/185962/

rjgonzales

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Texas
I'm a big fan of Apple's In Ears, but the rubber tips they come with are terrible.... won't stay in my ears. I use Shure replacement sleeves and they work great. Not the best out there, but perhaps the best for the money.

Small

Medium

3kids

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I've got the repair link up and read the other thread. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure these would exactly qualify under warranty. The actual ear piece is missing on both sides from an unfortunate accident of undisclosed terms.:eek:

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
3kids said:
I've got the repair link up and read the other thread. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure these would exactly qualify under warranty. The actual ear piece is missing on both sides from an unfortunate accident of undisclosed terms.:eek:

They don't really seem to care how it broke... but even if they do, its only $19.00... alot less then the $40 otherwise.

3kids

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Absolutely correct! In a round about way that does seem to be the only place to order replacement headphones. So, worst case scenario is I have to pay the $19, which is what I wanted to do in the first place.:)

Thanks to everyone for their help.

3kids

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I ordered them Friday night and received the replacements Monday morning. How do they do that?? Anyway, if I return the broken phones and they decide it was not a warranty problem then I get charged $18 because at least I followed the return rule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.