Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
My friend just got his 30gb 5th gen iPod, and it came with a black sleeve, instead of the tan one that the earlier ones came with!

Is this new? Has anyone else seen this?

King-Louie

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2006
Actually I did see this a couple days ago. My friend got an iPod for his birthday - the white one and I noticed that his sleeve was black. I figured since I got the black iPod with a white sleeve that the cases are the opposite colors, but this explains my confusion.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
The white nano I bought 6 months ago came with a white sleeve. The white nano I bought for my mom 2 weeks ago came with a black sleeve :confused:

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
Seems like all the newest packaged iPods are coming with the black sleeves, I guess? Maybe they're doing away with the white sleeves altogether.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
pics, pics anyone? or are they just trying to get you to buy the $100 apple leather case? <cough> rip off </cough>

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
Do some of you use the slip case that came with the iPod as your sole means of protection? You don't use a case or anything else?

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
luckylisp said:
Do some of you use the slip case that came with the iPod as your sole means of protection? You don't use a case or anything else?

NO! It scratches the screen, and is too thin. I have the leather case for the 5G iPod. Brilliant quality, but a rip off - costs more than an iPod shuffle!:eek:

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I have a white 60GB and my wife has a black 30GB and we both received the whitish color sleeve with our iPods (mine was ordered the day they were announced and my wife's was ordered in late October).

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
wPod said:
pics, pics anyone? or are they just trying to get you to buy the $100 apple leather case? <cough> rip off </cough>

That has 0 functionality :). I think that was targeted towards middle-aged people who want to snaz up their tunes.

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
luckylisp said:

Yup, I use the slip case as the only means of protection for my Nano. It seems to work just fine for me.

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
tkidBOSTON said:
Yup, I use the slip case as the only means of protection for my Nano. It seems to work just fine for me.

Like dextertangocci above my worry was that it would scratch the screen over time with fine scratches. Plus I was worried about dropping it so I got a hard case. I'm surprised some people only use the sleeve, but that's cool that it works for you. It would certainly be nice to use it without case. Although on the 30gb my case doesn't make too much of a difference. I can still slip it into my jeans pocket with no problem.

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
luckylisp said:
Like dextertangocci above my worry was that it would scratch the screen over time with fine scratches. Plus I was worried about dropping it so I got a hard case. I'm surprised some people only use the sleeve, but that's cool that it works for you. It would certainly be nice to use it without case. Although on the 30gb my case doesn't make too much of a difference. I can still slip it into my jeans pocket with no problem.

Honestly I'm not overly concerned with small scratches on my iPod. I don't view photos or videos on either of my iPods so if small scratches do appear its not a big issue for me.

snakelda said:
yeah,Mine is all dirty,How do you wash your white case.

I was wondering the same myself. Anyone have an answer?

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
I'd probably just hand wash it in the sink with some detergent and let it air dry. I'd be worried about putting it through a washing cycle in case the friction undid or loosened the side stitching and the dryer might shrink it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.