PDA

View Full Version : New iPod possible Friday [6/2/06]?

Sweetfeld28
May 26, 2006, 09:14 PM
I am wondering about this cause a friend of mine knows a guy who is in the Marketing/Sales department of a company based in Chicago [Dunn & Bradstreet].

Anyways my friend is claiming that this guy told him today that the new video ipods will be quietly released on Apples site on Friday next week.

For some reason i don't want to believe him cause i think Apple tends to have releases like this on Tuesdays. I could be wrong though. So, after listening to him BS i decided to try and do some research on this supposed new video ipod.

While listening to him try and explain what he was told was going to be in the new iPod i came across a ThinkSecret page with these pictures.

Oh, before i forget this is what my friend claimed is going to be in the new Video iPods:

"take 1/2" off your ipod, keep the thickness of a video iPod, and a an entire front screen with a virtual click wheel............then add radio and graphic EQ with all the usuals and Flash Memory on the low end model and you got yourself a winner".

And these are the pictures i found: Bigger Images here --> [http://www.thinksecret.com/comments/0603videoipod.shtml#1261]

What do you guys/ladies think?

yankeefan24
May 26, 2006, 09:16 PM
I don't think they are going to quietly release one this friday. Soon. Definitely soon, but I don't think Friday.

Chundles
May 26, 2006, 09:19 PM
Old news, old pictures, nothing to see here folks. Move along.

Sweetfeld28
May 26, 2006, 09:20 PM
do you happen to know when they usually release ipods, is it on a specific day of the week?

CoMpX
May 26, 2006, 09:20 PM
These pictures are fake! They were discussed months ago along with countless other mockups. Please don't bring this up again.

Sweetfeld28
May 26, 2006, 09:25 PM
I realized they are fake. But that still doesn't answer my question, does Apple generally release products as big as the iPod on a Friday? I thought it was mostly on Tuesdays.

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 26, 2006, 09:32 PM
These pictures are fake! They were discussed months ago along with countless other mockups. Please don't bring this up again.

You guys are being a bit harsh...this is a rumor site, so I don't see why this guy can't bring up a rumor...it's not like he's "confirmed" anything!!!

Anyway, you're right. Apple hardly ever releases any kind of product on a Friday, let alone something as big as a video iPod. This sounds like a completely new product line - that, in my opinion, would require at least some kind of press event...right? :confused:

dmw007
May 26, 2006, 09:35 PM
I doubt that Apple would release new iPods on a Friday- Tuesday tends to be the day of choice for Apple to release awesome new hardware and software. :)

m-dogg
May 26, 2006, 10:35 PM
When the time comes that they release some sort of full-screen iPod, I don't think it will be done quietly on any day of the week.

They will hold a special event for something like that (which will probably be on a Tuesday or Wednesday).

Bubbasteve
May 27, 2006, 01:37 AM
I believe Apple usually updates there iPods in the summer months (June/July)...but like many have said before, Apple wouldn't quietly update the iPod...especially if it's a new generation of an iPod.

thejadedmonkey
May 27, 2006, 01:45 AM
Radio is the ONLY reason I would EVER upgrade from my 3rd gen iPod.

Sponge Worthy
May 27, 2006, 11:19 AM

Radio? My God, who listens to radio anymore? Annoying DJ's, bad music, and tons of commercials are not really worthy of my time. I like some of the channels on my Sirius radio in my car, but I haven't listened to regular radio in over a year. Even with Sirius, I still usually plug in my iPod during my drive.

There are add-on products for radio on the iPod, but I wouldn't waste a penny on them. That's as out of date as a modem on my MacBook Pro. Who needs it?

Chundles
May 27, 2006, 11:29 AM
That's as out of date as a modem on my MacBook Pro. Who needs it?

I agree about radio.

But I need a modem. I don't like that they took them out and dongles suck.

Copland
May 27, 2006, 01:24 PM
I think it's unlikely that Apple would release something like a Video iPod quietly:
the iPods that have been released thus far all had media events.

Radio might be nice for a change, but I don't find it likely that Apple would add that to their current iPods. But, you never know...

Sweetfeld28
May 28, 2006, 11:20 AM
Ok, Thanks for the incite. That was all the information i wanted to know.

Ryan

Caitlyn
May 28, 2006, 12:00 PM
Well, let me tell you, that third picture you attached, it's photoshopped. No doubt. The other two are a little more realistic looking. But that's beside the point. Anyway, I too think Apple will release new Video iPods soon, but if it's next week it will be Tuesday, forget Friday. That'd be too out of the oridinary for them.

cooncheese70
May 29, 2006, 02:49 AM
I'm finally ready to get an iPod and can't wait.
And I really don't want to wait for months on end for it to come out...

What are the chances that the new iPod will be out in the next few weeks?

conditionals
May 29, 2006, 04:19 AM

Oh yeah? You just wait until it breaks... one day my 3G harddrive just up and ate itself.

What are the chances that the new iPod will be out in the next few weeks?

Sharewaredemon
May 29, 2006, 05:53 AM
This picture says it all.

:D

lamina
May 29, 2006, 06:06 AM
As others have said, its doubtful Apple will release the new iPod on Friday, and if they do, it definitely won't be a quiet update. The full-screen iPod will likely come with huge additions to the iTMS with contnent that takes advantage of the new screen space.

cooncheese70
May 29, 2006, 07:33 AM
OK... So, I can see that your saying that the new iPod wont be coming out anytime soon...

So, if you were in my position... what would you do?

I really want to get an iPod 60GB Black and I would defianatly use the video functionality...

So... Do I wait for the new one (which might not even come out till the end of the year) ???

Or... Do I get the current 60GB Video now ???

It's driving me crazy trying to decide... I REALLY WANT ONE NOW! but on the other hand I would love the next generation full-screen.

Decisions decisions......

WHAT WOULD YOU DO??????? BUY NOW OR WAIT????????

conditionals
May 29, 2006, 08:10 AM
I am in your situation (almost). I really want a 60gig iPod. But I'm holding out to the next update so I can possibly get one without an ass battery life (both video - 3 hours!? - and music). I'm doing the same with mac hardware - I really want a MBP but am holding out til the next update.

It's driving me insane. But, for you... if you want the 60gig and can deal with the battery life, then buy it! Seriously. It was only introduced like 7 months ago.

billchase2
May 29, 2006, 08:19 AM
yeah, i'm kinda waiting too....

Caitlyn
May 29, 2006, 08:42 AM
That makes three of us. I want to get a new iPod for my birthday, but I don't wanna buy one and then have a new one be released like the week after. My birthday is the first week of July.

Lixivial
May 29, 2006, 01:42 PM
When the time comes that they release some sort of full-screen iPod, I don't think it will be done quietly on any day of the week.

They will hold a special event for something like that (which will probably be on a Tuesday or Wednesday).

People used the same logic to state that the MacBook would not be released two weeks ago. Of course, that lends no credibility to this particular rumor, but to say that it needs to be released at a special event isn't necessarily true.

cooncheese70
May 29, 2006, 10:12 PM
Hmmm...
Iv'e also been told that the next gen will be more video oriented and less music and they are going to keep the current one as a Music iPod with Video funtionality and the new one will be an actual Video iPod.

It's driving me nuts trying to decide what to do... My bday is in a week and I REALLY WANT ONE ! but I will be pissed off if I get one and the next gen comes out within a few weeks of me getting it.

treblah
May 29, 2006, 10:16 PM
Radio? My God, who listens to radio anymore?

NPR. And traffic reports.

conditionals
May 30, 2006, 05:11 AM
Hmmm...
Iv'e also been told that the next gen will be more video oriented and less music

Oh it's settled then.

lurcher
May 30, 2006, 06:58 AM
The idea of a full sized screen with virtual clickwheel is awesome, the only downside - and I see it as a real problem - would be the greasy marks left on the screen.

And Jesus, let's hope its scratch proof :rolleyes:

Can't see the use in watching something on a screen so small anyway. Mobile games maybe ala PSP or DS, but not videos IMHO

cooncheese70
Jun 1, 2006, 08:21 PM
Well... Its the 2nd June... Where's the new iPod?

ero87
Jun 1, 2006, 08:39 PM
Still June 1st in the States :D

yankeefan24
Jun 1, 2006, 08:41 PM
Still June 1st in the States :D

and this is where steve releases the products. I very highly doubt they will release it, but if they do, I will remember this thread. (and edit all this out and say that I think they will release it :p :D ;) )

conditionals
Jun 1, 2006, 10:10 PM
and this is where steve releases the products. I very highly doubt they will release it, but if they do, I will remember this thread. (and edit all this out and say that I think they will release it :p :D ;) )

I will cut of my foot and sell it to science if an iPod is released in the next month.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jun 1, 2006, 10:32 PM
I will cut of my foot and sell it to science if an iPod is released in the next month.

...I wasn't really in the market for a new iPod but now, I'm kind of hoping they release one...:p

jsw
Jun 1, 2006, 10:34 PM
I just dropped mine onto the couch. To do so, I had to let go of it.

I hope you make some good money off that foot, gimpy. ;)

conditionals
Jun 2, 2006, 10:11 AM
Stupid bone... how much of the goddamn stuff is there!?

savar
Jun 2, 2006, 10:38 AM
I am wondering about this cause a friend of mine knows a guy who is in the Marketing/Sales department of a company based in Chicago [Dunn & Bradstreet].

Just because he works at D&B doesn't make him an Apple insider. He's just another analyst, using the same information that we all have access too, making predictions about the future of America's largest corporations.

However... if there was an iPod released in the next week or two that would be freakin sweet.

cyberdogl2
Jun 2, 2006, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I was at D&B yesterday and all I got was drunk.

Anyway, nothing in the newswire means nothing is gonna be accouned today.

princealfie
Jun 2, 2006, 03:39 PM
hey guys,

nothing happened. such a rumor :mad:

ToastMaster
Jun 3, 2006, 10:20 PM
I am in your situation (almost). I really want a 60gig iPod. But I'm holding out to the next update so I can possibly get one without an ass battery life (both video - 3 hours!? - and music). I'm doing the same with mac hardware - I really want a MBP but am holding out til the next update.

Well, when these "new video iPod" rumors started floating around on these boards, this was my first issue. If they only have 3 (at most) hours playing video on the 2.5" display, how much more power is going to be used playing video on a screen almost double that size?

Unless they totally change the batteries for the new iPods, they'll have really horrible battery issues. My solution is to not worry so much about size, just make them a little bigger (within reason) and increase battery life to something reasonable.

If they keep the slim streamlined design, I don't see how they can make the battery life any good on a design like this.

Sweetfeld28
Jun 4, 2006, 12:52 AM
As I had suspected Friday has come and gone, with any trace of a new Video iPod...

But anyway, as stated before by the last poster, the video iPods would haver to have very good battery life in order to play a decent amount of Video. Well, after thinking about this for a while, i was thinking why couldn't these new Video iPods be Flash based??? I mean, aren't the latest chip sizes something like 4 or 8 GB flash drives available for this kind of product??

Beside this, doesn't the Flash drives have something lke double the battery life of a normal HD based iPod??

Just a couple of thoughts,

Ryan

sushi
Jun 4, 2006, 01:26 AM
Radio? My God, who listens to radio anymore? Annoying DJ's, bad music, and tons of commercials are not really worthy of my time.
Isn't that the truth.

Radio can be sure be annoying. The iPod has changed that for many folks. So nice to just sit back, relax and listen to the tunes that you want to listen to without static or the DJ walking all over the tracks.

Chundles
Jun 4, 2006, 03:15 AM
As I had suspected Friday has come and gone, with any trace of a new Video iPod...

But anyway, as stated before by the last poster, the video iPods would haver to have very good battery life in order to play a decent amount of Video. Well, after thinking about this for a while, i was thinking why couldn't these new Video iPods be Flash based??? I mean, aren't the latest chip sizes something like 4 or 8 GB flash drives available for this kind of product??

Beside this, doesn't the Flash drives have something lke double the battery life of a normal HD based iPod??

Just a couple of thoughts,

Ryan

Not sure, the 2G mini had a battery life of 18+ hours whereas the nano can only go for about 14. Now granted it's a smaller battery but I was hoping for a similar playback time. Meh, I want a nano, a video iPod and maybe a Hifi just to complete the set.

netdog
Jun 4, 2006, 03:48 AM
I thought that they were having problems with the vPod and had put it off until sometime before Christmas (November?).