Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I am wondering about this cause a friend of mine knows a guy who is in the Marketing/Sales department of a company based in Chicago [Dunn & Bradstreet].

Anyways my friend is claiming that this guy told him today that the new video ipods will be quietly released on Apples site on Friday next week.

For some reason i don't want to believe him cause i think Apple tends to have releases like this on Tuesdays. I could be wrong though. So, after listening to him BS i decided to try and do some research on this supposed new video ipod.

While listening to him try and explain what he was told was going to be in the new iPod i came across a ThinkSecret page with these pictures.

Oh, before i forget this is what my friend claimed is going to be in the new Video iPods:

"take 1/2" off your ipod, keep the thickness of a video iPod, and a an entire front screen with a virtual click wheel............then add radio and graphic EQ with all the usuals and Flash Memory on the low end model and you got yourself a winner".

And these are the pictures i found: Bigger Images here --> [http://www.thinksecret.com/comments/0603videoipod.shtml#1261]

What do you guys/ladies think?

Attachments

• 1fullpetit.jpg
    1fullpetit.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 2fullpetit.jpg
    2fullpetit.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 261
  • 3fullpetit.jpg
    3fullpetit.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 279

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
I don't think they are going to quietly release one this friday. Soon. Definitely soon, but I don't think Friday.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
These pictures are fake! They were discussed months ago along with countless other mockups. Please don't bring this up again.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I realized they are fake. But that still doesn't answer my question, does Apple generally release products as big as the iPod on a Friday? I thought it was mostly on Tuesdays.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
CoMpX said:
These pictures are fake! They were discussed months ago along with countless other mockups. Please don't bring this up again.

You guys are being a bit harsh...this is a rumor site, so I don't see why this guy can't bring up a rumor...it's not like he's "confirmed" anything!!!

Anyway, you're right. Apple hardly ever releases any kind of product on a Friday, let alone something as big as a video iPod. This sounds like a completely new product line - that, in my opinion, would require at least some kind of press event...right? :confused:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I doubt that Apple would release new iPods on a Friday- Tuesday tends to be the day of choice for Apple to release awesome new hardware and software. :)

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
When the time comes that they release some sort of full-screen iPod, I don't think it will be done quietly on any day of the week.

They will hold a special event for something like that (which will probably be on a Tuesday or Wednesday).

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
I believe Apple usually updates there iPods in the summer months (June/July)...but like many have said before, Apple wouldn't quietly update the iPod...especially if it's a new generation of an iPod.

Sponge Worthy

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
Sanford, FL
thejadedmonkey said:
Radio is the ONLY reason I would EVER upgrade from my 3rd gen iPod.

Radio? My God, who listens to radio anymore? Annoying DJ's, bad music, and tons of commercials are not really worthy of my time. I like some of the channels on my Sirius radio in my car, but I haven't listened to regular radio in over a year. Even with Sirius, I still usually plug in my iPod during my drive.

There are add-on products for radio on the iPod, but I wouldn't waste a penny on them. That's as out of date as a modem on my MacBook Pro. Who needs it?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Sponge Worthy said:
That's as out of date as a modem on my MacBook Pro. Who needs it?

I agree about radio.

But I need a modem. I don't like that they took them out and dongles suck.

Copland

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
I think it's unlikely that Apple would release something like a Video iPod quietly:
the iPods that have been released thus far all had media events.

Radio might be nice for a change, but I don't find it likely that Apple would add that to their current iPods. But, you never know...

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
Well, let me tell you, that third picture you attached, it's photoshopped. No doubt. The other two are a little more realistic looking. But that's beside the point. Anyway, I too think Apple will release new Video iPods soon, but if it's next week it will be Tuesday, forget Friday. That'd be too out of the oridinary for them.

cooncheese70

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
Australia
I'm finally ready to get an iPod and can't wait.
And I really don't want to wait for months on end for it to come out...

What are the chances that the new iPod will be out in the next few weeks?

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
As others have said, its doubtful Apple will release the new iPod on Friday, and if they do, it definitely won't be a quiet update. The full-screen iPod will likely come with huge additions to the iTMS with contnent that takes advantage of the new screen space.

cooncheese70

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
Australia
OK... So, I can see that your saying that the new iPod wont be coming out anytime soon...

So, if you were in my position... what would you do?

I really want to get an iPod 60GB Black and I would defianatly use the video functionality...

So... Do I wait for the new one (which might not even come out till the end of the year) ???

Or... Do I get the current 60GB Video now ???

It's driving me crazy trying to decide... I REALLY WANT ONE NOW! but on the other hand I would love the next generation full-screen.

Decisions decisions......

WHAT WOULD YOU DO??????? BUY NOW OR WAIT????????

conditionals

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Australia
I am in your situation (almost). I really want a 60gig iPod. But I'm holding out to the next update so I can possibly get one without an ass battery life (both video - 3 hours!? - and music). I'm doing the same with mac hardware - I really want a MBP but am holding out til the next update.

It's driving me insane. But, for you... if you want the 60gig and can deal with the battery life, then buy it! Seriously. It was only introduced like 7 months ago.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
That makes three of us. I want to get a new iPod for my birthday, but I don't wanna buy one and then have a new one be released like the week after. My birthday is the first week of July.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
m-dogg said:
When the time comes that they release some sort of full-screen iPod, I don't think it will be done quietly on any day of the week.

They will hold a special event for something like that (which will probably be on a Tuesday or Wednesday).

People used the same logic to state that the MacBook would not be released two weeks ago. Of course, that lends no credibility to this particular rumor, but to say that it needs to be released at a special event isn't necessarily true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.