PDA

View Full Version : Is Apple entering the game market? (rumor on GameSpot)

bluebomberman
May 26, 2006, 10:35 PM
There's a strange rumor on GameSpot about Apple (http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24660295&sid=6151954) (which almost never gets mentioned on GameSpot for obvious reasons). Supposedly, they already hired someone from LucasArts...

This week, GameSpot learned that there may be more to the Apple-game rumors than mere Mac-mad daydreams. A tech-sector recruiter contacted the GS NewsDesk with an interesting story of a prospective hire that got away. Recently, when said recruiter made an offer to a software engineer, the engineer turned the offer down--saying he was being "heavily recruited by Apple."

According to the engineer, an Apple hiring manager named Mike Lampell is heading up a group inside Apple's storied iTunes division. The group is specifically hiring for "C/C++ coders with a ‘gaming background.’" The engineer says the project in question was described to him as "super secret," and Apple would not even tell him the exact nature of it until he had been hired and signed a non-disclosure agreement.

So how credible is this story? The recruiter's credentials are beyond reproach, leaving the engineer as the wild card...

However, the mention of Lampell gives the story some credibility. Lampell is a known developer who used to work at LucasArts, where he was a technical director on several major projects, including Star Wars Republic Commando. Lampell was laid off in August 2004 when LucasArts culled its development department in the first of a series of cost-cutting measures. However, GameSpot could not confirm his current employment at Apple, since attempts to elicit comment from the company had gone unanswered as of press time.

I don't know what to make of the whole thing. Any thoughts?

Atlasland
May 26, 2006, 10:46 PM
There's a strange rumor on GameSpot about Apple (http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24660295&sid=6151954) (which almost never gets mentioned on GameSpot for obvious reasons). Supposedly, they already hired someone from LucasArts...

I don't know what to make of the whole thing. Any thoughts?

Apple never will enter the gaming market.

I'll eat my hat if they do.

x86
May 26, 2006, 10:50 PM
Hmm... Brand new MacBooks sporting GPUs from the mid nineties and now this...

Something isn't adding up here. :rolleyes:

thegreatluke
May 26, 2006, 10:51 PM

I'll get the barbecue sauce ready.

:)

x86
May 26, 2006, 10:55 PM
Yes, get it ready...

Meet the Apple Pippin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin)

Timepass
May 26, 2006, 11:00 PM
lol
For apple to get into the gaming market they need to allow better graphic card and upgradible graphic card in there non pro lv computers and really start supporting the market.

With integrated crap in so much that limits a lot of there opition and with imac being very limited on there power keeps them out of gamer market.

Compared to a pc over 2 years old (and less than 1500 new)can eaily be brought up to a good gaming computer by upgrading the graphic card and breathing a lot more life in to it. Apple has to do something like that before any one will take them serousily as in to getting into the gaming market

Atlasland
May 26, 2006, 11:58 PM
Yes, get it ready...

I know about the Pippin - that's why I said "will never". I should have made it clear and said "will never again".

bluebomberman
May 27, 2006, 12:20 AM
Maybe the games are for mobile devices (such as the iPod). The GameSpot rumor post did indicate that the positon was specifically for the iTunes division.

Could be downloadable games from the iTMS.

Doctor Q
May 27, 2006, 01:48 AM
MacRumors news story (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060527015327.shtml)

Scruff
May 27, 2006, 09:07 AM

Why not? Developers don't seem to be insanely enthusiastic about making games for the Mac, why shouldn't Apple try their own hand at it? Microsoft, after all, make their own games. If they can do it, why can't Apple? :p

And if what you mean is Apple will never be a real 'gaming' platform, then I think it would be idiotic if they didn't. A large number of PC users out there are gamers, and the only way you'd ever get them to switch to a Mac is if Macs actually had some decent Mac compatible games. Apple are ignoring a pretty large market if they're going to stay away from gaming entirely.

paddy
May 27, 2006, 09:16 AM
Yes, get it ready...

Funny how much how it reminds me of the ps3.

Costing US$599 on launch, and touted as a cheap computer, in reality the system was commonly identified as a video game console. As such, its price was considered to be too expensive in comparison to its contemporaries.

Haoshiro
May 27, 2006, 09:46 AM
Funny how much how it reminds me of the ps3.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Too much too early, perhaps?

As for Apple getting into gaming... they have a pretty solid OS foundation now with OS X, it only makes sense that they would now turn focus to improving it as a gaming platform. This of course would mean providing a dedicated gaming API like what DirectX is for Windows, as well as improving overall system performance for gaming tasks.

This is definitely possible and, in my opinion, would be an obvious next step for OS evolution.

Although if they are going to do something with iTMS then I doubt this "rumor", if true, relates to full-fledged gaming. iTMS would be more likely to have small games that run on an iPod. Either iPod games in general, or they will make an enhanced version of the iPod aimed towards gaming.

iPod is out there, lots of people have them... if they could offer decent gaming on them then they could make a lot of money... I'm just not sure about the control options on an iPod... seems rather unintuitive for games.

ManchesterTrix
May 27, 2006, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Too much too early, perhaps?

As for Apple getting into gaming... they have a pretty solid OS foundation now with OS X, it only makes sense that they would now turn focus to improving it as a gaming platform.

It'd only make sense if Steve Jobs wasn't running the company.

dmw007
May 27, 2006, 12:50 PM
I seriously doubt that Apple will enter into the gaming market (again). But it could happen..... ;) :)

StartTday
May 27, 2006, 02:10 PM
Apple probably needed a programmer with a gaming background to optimize their source for high end graphic games. Not a big deal.

dmw007
May 27, 2006, 02:45 PM
Apple probably needed a programmer with a gaming background to optimize their source for high end graphic games. Not a big deal.

I think that this is the most likely reason for Apple to seek out such a programmer. Either way, it should be good news for us Mac users. :)

GFLPraxis
May 27, 2006, 04:24 PM
I find it interesting that Apple had a booth at E3 this year, and the guy I talked to there said Apple has had booths in the past too. E3 is, as you know, gaming only...

d4wild
May 31, 2006, 03:19 AM
Apple came to my college earlier this year to recruit computer animators for work on a "secret project." The two guys who came both had worked for EA before going over to Apple.

I tried my hardest to weasel information about it, but all they could say was that for it was "home entertainment purposes," and that it involved lots of modeling and some facial animation.

Xander562
May 31, 2006, 07:15 PM
didnt they try this before w/ the pippin or whatever?

sam10685
May 31, 2006, 07:51 PM
doesn't seem impossible. aplle is becomming more and more of a multi-media company...

shadowmoses
Jun 1, 2006, 04:29 AM
This may have something to do with gaming on the iPod, I really can't see Apple releasing a direct competitor to the 360,PS3 and Wii.....
Whereas there is space for a competitor in the handheld market, with the PSP failing and the iPod being the most popular handheld electronic in the world maybe they have realized if they can do downloadable games they can be a major player in the handheld market....

ShadoW

clykins90
Jun 1, 2006, 11:04 AM
The gaming market would be great for apple! Maybe not like an Xbox360 competitor, but a PSP competitor. A portable media device with gaming capabilites and apple-esque design for under $299...I'm sold.

Look what happened when microsoft entered the gaming market! It was a bumpy road, but they've got a killer system.