PDA

View Full Version : Apple Recruiting Game Developers?

MacRumors
May 27, 2006, 12:53 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Gamespot claims (http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24660295&sid=6151954) that according to a recruiter they have been in contact with, Apple has been heavily recruiting under the iTunes division for "C/C++ coders with a Ďgaming background.í"

The exact project planned is reportedly "super secret" with no details provided to the engineer.

Apple's hiring manager is reportedly Mike Lampell, a game developer/director who had been laid off from LucasArts in August 2004. Gamespot was unable to verify Lampell's current employment location. Based on these details, Gamespot speculates that Apple may be serious about game research and development.

Apple has previously been known to be recruiting (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/03/20050327154504.shtml) for OpenGL programmers to optimize the Mac OS X's 3d graphics implementation. Meanwhile, other job postings (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/02/20050221164000.shtml) indicated that Apple was recruiting specifically for 2D/3D graphics programmers with ARM7 RISC (iPod) processor experience. This job listing triggered speculation that Apple was working on more iPod-specific games.

bluebomberman
May 27, 2006, 12:55 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=204252

No more Pippin jokes, please!

polyesterlester
May 27, 2006, 12:57 AM
Yippee! Hopefully this will bear some really good fruit.

Abstract
May 27, 2006, 01:01 AM
^^What, like Apples?

Um.......any chance that they hired game developers to improve in an aspect other than gaming, say the general GUI, or maybe even other software that requires a lot of human interaction? I don't see Apple becoming a video game company.

i-unit123
May 27, 2006, 01:02 AM
I'm new to macrumors, and new to macs in general (just got an intel imac). i know that not many games are out for mac osx, but do you think that this could change? i read that apple was planning an igame, bu i heard a lot of other people say that was a dumb idea. anythoughts about apples future in the gaming industry (if it has one). btw, switching to macs is one of the best things i ever did by far. the imac is awesome!!!

Atlasland
May 27, 2006, 01:02 AM
This is not real gentlemen!

This will never happen!!!

Pipe dreams... pipe dreams...

thejadedmonkey
May 27, 2006, 01:15 AM
Apple's doing something. My personal favorite idea is an iPod that has a front-row type of interface for the main menu. That's 3D Acceleration on a RISC CPU. iTunes, Game developers, RISC all in one.

Maybe it could even be used as the interface for the iPhone!

evilgEEk
May 27, 2006, 01:32 AM
My personal favorite idea is an iPod that has a front-row type of interface for the main menu.
That is now my personal favorite idea too!

That would be very sweet. :D

Bubbasteve
May 27, 2006, 01:34 AM
I was thinking maybe a newer version of Brick or Parachute....

Macnoviz
May 27, 2006, 01:38 AM
in any case, it will certainly take a long time, and we will only see what is really going on when Jobs introduces the "new/updated" product (hardware/software)

btw, in that gamespot article, they only mention brick and parachute, what about solitaire and music quiz?:)

(L)
May 27, 2006, 01:43 AM
I'm new to macrumors, and new to macs in general (just got an intel imac). i know that not many games are out for mac osx, but do you think that this could change? i read that apple was planning an igame, bu i heard a lot of other people say that was a dumb idea. anythoughts about apples future in the gaming industry (if it has one). btw, switching to macs is one of the best things i ever did by far. the imac is awesome!!!

Really though, you can't just hire your way into the industry. Say, Apple makes a touchscreen iPod/PDA sort of thing that can play games. So? I want a touchscreen iPod, not a teenage escapist device. I don't really need to have a PDA either. I just want a damn good audio player, that has a screen to view videos on the side, but at good quality. I don't want to pay 5oo bucks. I don't care if they hire a LucasArts guy or whatever, or even how great the games will be, IF they are to happen anyway. Apple sure as beans isn't going to be the next Nintendo, and by the super secret nature, they're probably finding a way to work in what they can to a device without losing the original vision - in other words, they're serious about gaming as a secondary functionality, but don't expect an XBOX sort of thing.

Bonte
May 27, 2006, 02:02 AM
Finally a good set of games for the iPod, maybe sell 3P games on iTunes?

NewSc2
May 27, 2006, 02:14 AM
Eh, the iPod has a less than stellar button interface for gaming.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to put Tetris on the iPod.

And what's with the scroll wheel for Arkanoid? Can't we just push <<- or ->> for left and right?

odedia
May 27, 2006, 02:16 AM
Well, i'd really love it if Apple released a gaming console to compete with the PS3, Nintendo and Xbox360. There no reason why that shouldn't work out. They have the technology, they have the programming tools. They just need developers.

dashiel
May 27, 2006, 02:21 AM
Apple sure as beans isn't going to be the next Nintendo

that's what everyone said about sony when they released the PS1. i don't think apple will enter the video game market, but i've seen way too many "it'll never happen", happen in the computer/ce industry to believe anything with any certainty.

just remember 18 months ago the very thought of all but two of apple's product lineup running on intel chips was ludicrous too.

Macnoviz
May 27, 2006, 02:25 AM
Apple sure as beans isn't going to be the next Nintendo

Thread 500, anyone ??

mozmac
May 27, 2006, 02:47 AM
I've been thinking this for a while. Why doesn't Apple develop some sweet, yet simple, games for the iPod and sell them through iTunes? People already pay $3-$5 to put a game on their cell phone, they'd definitely pay that much, or more, to have a game on their favorite little companion.

Bonte
May 27, 2006, 02:49 AM
Maybe the new 'real' video iPod is also a gaming device. Selling a Video iPod for a higher price than the PSP isn't going to be easy.

Chaszmyr
May 27, 2006, 02:54 AM
Maybe the new 'real' video iPod is also a gaming device. Selling a Video iPod for a higher price than the PSP isn't going to be easy.

I hadn't thought of that, but it's quite possible. Games could be sold over iTMS and downloaded to the iPod. Not a bad idea..

wedge antilies
May 27, 2006, 03:20 AM
I'm new to macrumors, and new to macs in general (just got an intel imac)....btw, switching to macs is one of the best things i ever did by far. the imac is awesome!!!

Dear Friend, Let me be the first to say WELCOME.

WELCOME to MacRumors and more importantly WELCOME to the world of Apple.:)

Back on topic: I think we are looking at games for the iPod and iPhone(?) here. I think games on the iPod video could be a killer.
Remember the simplicity of Tetris was the killer app for Gameboy. Snake for the Nokia 5110, and now Brainage for the DS.
A few more simple addictive games could really push the Video iPod further, and downloading games from iTMS ids perfect.

-Red 2.

Seasought
May 27, 2006, 03:23 AM
I don't know what to think about this one.

My only thought would be that this is related to iPhone rumors. Perhaps this is part of a slow transition from iPods to iPhones (which is an iPod, a phone, pda, and games combined).

Unless Apple is going to start targeting the PC gaming market by forming their own development team releasing innovative games on OS X first, then porting to Windows. :D

This is interesting to say the least.

Sijmen
May 27, 2006, 03:31 AM
Games for iPod.. hmm. No.

I hope they are doing something with Mac gaming. I think that might be the #1 reason many people aren't switching. Ask any of my friends and they'll probably confirm it.

chrismcdowell25
May 27, 2006, 03:32 AM
Maybe Apple is looking at making a development environment instead of actually making games. Apple is big on providing tools to developers or optomizing their system to allow developers to take better advantage of they system. Maybe they just want to optomize OSX for gaming type environments and want the experience of game developers who have programed in that area. Maybe also something with iPods like marketplace on the Xbox live.

G.Kirby
May 27, 2006, 03:52 AM
Personally, I would only class this as news if Apple were looking to make it easier to port big name games to the Mac by trying to adapt/convert the big game engines to run natively in OS10. But a donít think this will happen. :(

kumbaya
May 27, 2006, 03:58 AM
I speculate Apple wants to ensure that games run optimally in the virtualised windows environment coming with Leopard.

I can see it now: dual screen - on my left Mac OS X for my life, on my right XP running whatever game I want uber-fast!

mmmmmmmm....;)

Tech question: what do C/C++ programming skills open up?

Frisco
May 27, 2006, 04:14 AM
People tell me the lack of Mac games holds them back from the "Switch." I am sure Apple is aware of this.

Pancake
May 27, 2006, 04:16 AM
My theory is they are going to release a controller that you slip the iPod into. Here is my rushed mockup.

http://i4.tinypic.com/10s87kw.jpg

Str8edgepunker
May 27, 2006, 04:21 AM
My theory is they are going to release a controller that you slip the iPod into. Here is my rushed mockup.

http://i4.tinypic.com/10s87kw.jpg

Oy. I would hope not.

I'm going to agree with what a person said earlier that the virtualization that's coming in leopard will enable games to be run directly from the mac os. Now that would rule! :D

Lollypop
May 27, 2006, 04:51 AM
If this is true all im thinking is they want to optimize OpenGL, maybe bring a graphics programming module into XCode, rather than make windows games run better, make it easier to write Mac exclusive games.

G.Kirby
May 27, 2006, 05:06 AM
If this is true all im thinking is they want to optimize OpenGL, maybe bring a graphics programming module into XCode, rather than make windows games run better, make it easier to write Mac exclusive games.

I don't like the idea of a game being only available on a particular platform. I donít think it has enough pulling power to get people to switch. What I want to be able to do because it has far more appeal, is to shoot the snot out of my PC mates in Battle Front 2 with out having to buy a PC or have Windows running on my Mac. :D

iHateGates
May 27, 2006, 05:14 AM
I'm not a gamer at all. I haven't laid hands on a video game since the original nintendo when I was in high school. Too many damn buttons today. I do believe however, that one of my favorite games for the old Atari 2600, Breakout, was invented by Woz. Anyone confirm this?

bigandy
May 27, 2006, 05:22 AM
Thread 500, anyone ??

aaah, memories :D

bluebomberman
May 27, 2006, 05:27 AM
I'm not a gamer at all. I haven't laid hands on a video game since the original nintendo when I was in high school. Too many damn buttons today. I do believe however, that one of my favorite games for the old Atari 2600, Breakout, was invented by Woz. Anyone confirm this?

Got this link from Wikipedia (entry: Breakout):

http://www.woz.org/letters/general/91.html

Stridder44
May 27, 2006, 06:17 AM
Well, i'd really love it if Apple released a gaming console to compete with the PS3, Nintendo and Xbox360. There no reason why that shouldn't work out. They have the technology, they have the programming tools. They just need developers.

Get in line.

Max on Macs
May 27, 2006, 06:39 AM
Ok people. Here's Apple's new roadmap. New as of now, since I decided that it should be so.

Firstly the iPod shuffle doesn't really fit in with life, so that will disappear with no comments in the next few months.

Then the iPod will be replaced by a new thing. An amazing one. It will be the same size as the current one, but the screen will be sideways and this system will double up as a PSP-killer and also as a cell phone with an on-screen QWERTY keyboard.

Shortly after that, the iPod nano will be replaced with a new iPod nano. The new iPod nano will be able to play the games, videos, etc., of the iPod and will have the same PDA features. Bt the screen will be as it is at the moment, and it will have a normal phone keypad (but Apple-ised so it looks good) below, so will be less functional as a video player / games console / PDA but still has those functions same as any other cell phone does.

After that therae waill be a new Apple computer out. But it will be crippled. It will run a system which can only run Front Row, their new and incredible gaming engine, and Safari. Nothing more, nothing less. It will have an awesome remote control, and it will be about the size of a PStwo (the mini one) and will replace all your games consoles and media centres, DVRs and everything else. It'll be released at around the same trime as the PS3, and it'll be half the price.

Remember, you heard it here first.

Macnoviz
May 27, 2006, 06:53 AM
Ok people. Here's Apple's new roadmap. New as of now, since I decided that it should be so.

Firstly the iPod shuffle doesn't really fit in with life, so that will disappear with no comments in the next few months.

Then the iPod will be replaced by a new thing. An amazing one. It will be the same size as the current one, but the screen will be sideways and this system will double up as a PSP-killer and also as a cell phone with an on-screen QWERTY keyboard.

Shortly after that, the iPod nano will be replaced with a new iPod nano. The new iPod nano will be able to play the games, videos, etc., of the iPod and will have the same PDA features. Bt the screen will be as it is at the moment, and it will have a normal phone keypad (but Apple-ised so it looks good) below, so will be less functional as a video player / games console / PDA but still has those functions same as any other cell phone does.

After that therae waill be a new Apple computer out. But it will be crippled. It will run a system which can only run Front Row, their new and incredible gaming engine, and Safari. Nothing more, nothing less. It will have an awesome remote control, and it will be about the size of a PStwo (the mini one) and will replace all your games consoles and media centres, DVRs and everything else. It'll be released at around the same trime as the PS3, and it'll be half the price.

Remember, you heard it here first.

There will be a number of exiting release games, including brick, parachute, and Duke Nukem forever

Bring on the gMac!

EDIT: Will the 4 (and counting) people who rated this negative please stand up?

RodThePlod
May 27, 2006, 07:27 AM
Oy. I would hope not.

Teehee... you guys!!

:)

My guess is enhanced games for the upcoming higher end iPod devices that Apple is developing.

The better and bigger screens together with the generally higher spec of these devices will mean that they can comfortably handle quite visually appealing and very addictive games - so why not do it?

I doubt that they'll be available on iTunes, though - these games will probably be bundled in with the product just as the current games are...

RodC
--
www.expodition.com - for iPod users who love to travel
Check out my lens at Squidoo: http://www.squidoo.com/PodSnapShots/

Highland
May 27, 2006, 07:42 AM
My prediction :: This is not about games at all. It's for a new Apple PVR. Think iPod for video, but as a set top box. Something to take on MCE.

We all know FrontRow is just a small taste of what's to come. The best developers to take this to the next level UI-wise would be people with a gaming background, as that requires full screen 3D programming.

I'd bet a large wad of cash on this.

celebrian23
May 27, 2006, 08:28 AM
I'm not really a huge gamer or anything, but I hope they don't try to make something liike the xbox, whatever. Not a good idea to go into a market that already has quite a few high quality competitors. Ipod games would kind of be stupid to me. I can't see them being more advanced than the calculator games I play on my graphing calculator (i.e. fun for about 3 minutes). I hope they do develop some games for macs though. That would actually excite me.

Eraserhead
May 27, 2006, 08:29 AM
I don't like the idea of a game being only available on a particular platform. I don’t think it has enough pulling power to get people to switch. What I want to be able to do because it has far more appeal, is to shoot the snot out of my PC mates in Battle Front 2 with out having to buy a PC or have Windows running on my Mac. :D

The sad thing is is that if I had an Intel Mac I'd be likely to use Windows for gaming, I mean look at the Civ 4 requirements, from them it seems like it'd run as well on my iMac G5 as the windows version would on my Athlon 1200 from spring 2001, it had a Geforce 2MX graphics card, the min for the Mac is a 9600, same as in my iMac. I can also pick up a copy of XP home OEM for £55-£60 on ebay, since Civ 4 will cost £40 for the mac on launch (the legit PC version was only £15-£20 on launch from major retailers online) once you buy 3 games, it's cheaper to pick up Windows *just* for that (I will do this when I go Intel, which is disappointing as I've just sold off my copy of Windows. :().

I'm sorry but I'm disappointed with that, Aspyr aren't going to get my custom unless they do a decent job of porting.

tylerG
May 27, 2006, 08:58 AM
i think it would be a very good idea to sell games in the iTunes store alongside the music and videos.

Scruff
May 27, 2006, 09:02 AM
I hadn't thought of that, but it's quite possible. Games could be sold over iTMS and downloaded to the iPod. Not a bad idea..

Imagine it wasn't just for the iPod though, imagine there was a download service for gaming on your Mac, like Steam. Always liked Steam, kinda figured buying and downloading games online would be the next big thing in gaming. Look at SiN Episodes, and the new Half-Life exapansions.

If Apple announced an iGame (Just a name in palce of iTunes, which doesn't quite relate to gaming :p) service selling Mac Games, but also cheap games for the iPod, I'd use it, that's for sure.

Pancake
May 27, 2006, 09:42 AM
If Apple announced an iGame (Just a name in palce of iTunes, which doesn't quite relate to gaming :p) service selling Mac Games, but also cheap games for the iPod, I'd use it, that's for sure.

I've brought some games from this site that I quite liked. http://www.vpltd.com/ The download versions are usually cheaper than the box versions. No iPod games yet though.

Mainyehc
May 27, 2006, 10:14 AM
My prediction :: This is not about games at all. It's for a new Apple PVR. Think iPod for video, but as a set top box. Something to take on MCE.

We all know FrontRow is just a small taste of what's to come. The best developers to take this to the next level UI-wise would be people with a gaming background, as that requires full screen 3D programming.

I'd bet a large wad of cash on this.

I think you may be on to something here... Notice how the iPod division isn't mentioned, but the iTunes division is, instead:

Apple has been heavily recruiting under the iTunes division

I didn't even knew that there was an iTunes division. Of course, probably there is, even though it isn't as "independent" as the iPod division... Now, FrontRow is just iTunes music/video, iPhoto, and the DVD player glued together; perhaps Apple wants to implement a *true* 3d interface, to kick MCE's a$$? FrontRow, as it is, has a "fake" 3d interface, in which four flat objects are arranged in a true three-dimensional circle, and then, you're dropped to a 2d list... And what about OS X? The only true 3d effects are the rotating cube and the flipping widgets, and even those are merely flat textures. :rolleyes: [edit: I forgot about the water-like rippling effect... but hey, that's just a neat gimmick anyway :p ]

Not that I think 3d interfaces are the way of the future (not that I think they aren't, either, but when they're badly implemented, like M$'s Flip 3d, they *really* suck), but FrontRow would be so much nicer if they took that concept further... Imagine an experience akin to browsing a physical library; honestly, the iTunes/FrontRow/iPod interface doesn't make me want to listen to a specific album as much as my physical library does. That's one small step that M$ has made in the right direction with WMP 11, with album art browsing, and I really expect Apple to one-up them, instead of just adapting that "preview list" on the video section to the music section.

If they're smart enough, they could create a VR-like library interface, with shelves and albums (the same concept could one day apply to *movies* purchased on the iTMS), or maybe a way of quickly scrolling through your album art like if you were using a rolodex. Sure, Spotlight (which was actually pioneered in iTunes) is a nice approach, lists are useful to edit data and tags, but the power of visual suggestion is too big to be ignored, and visual/muscle memory (i.e. how you have your stuff spatially organized, in alphabetical or custom order, either in real life or in software) isn't something to be overlooked either - just look at your Dock or your desktop ;) . Since FrontRow is best viewed and used across a room, and you can't even edit data (at least not with a 5-button remote :p ) this 3d approach would work better than a 2d list, IMHO.

Pancake
May 27, 2006, 10:15 AM
http://i4.tinypic.com/10sgfwi.jpg
Oy. I would hope not.

Ha ha ha! I've found sound picture of a real device that I believe lends credence to my theory. Who's the crazy one now?

http://i4.tinypic.com/10sgdvb.jpg http://i4.tinypic.com/10sge81.png
It's the Kyocera K500 Gamepad.

soosy
May 27, 2006, 10:17 AM
Game Dev to work on iTunes visualizations: A POSSIBILITY
A few new games for upcoming iPods: A POSSIBILITY
Paid game downloads for iPod: NO WAY (ok, very small possibility)
Apple trying to compete with Nintendo DS and PSP: NO WAY

My personal hope is that this indicates that Apple is trying to make it easy for Game Developers to release their games on MacOS from the beginning which is the future of Mac Gaming. There's no reason for porting now with the Intel chip. Bad for the porting houses, but good for gamers, game developers, Apple and everyone else.

Oh, PVR/DVR idea makes sense too. Apple needs something to play full size movies from the iTMS (iTunes Movie Store).

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 27, 2006, 10:17 AM
Um...guys.

The idea of a Mac Gaming Machine has been on the most reliable, cleanest, most consistently updated Apple rumor site for ages...

www.macosrumors.com

From Mac OS Rumors: Apple is waiting for the next round of higher performance ultra-low-wattage Core chips from Intel and is reportedly making changes to the "Thin"/"Gamer" enclosures to take into account the popularity of the glossy black style as well as size/cooling considerations of the multi-GPU PCI-Express SLI mobile graphics system the Gamer model will employ. To fit in with a fast Core 2 Duo processor, the Gamer model will need a lot of cooling hardware for the powerful dual GPU's. Much more on next-generation Apple portables on Wednesday when some interesting new reports come out from under embargo....

(:rolleyes: ;) )

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 27, 2006, 10:18 AM
Ha ha ha! I've found sound picture of a real device that I believe lends credence to my theory. Who's the crazy one now?

http://i4.tinypic.com/10sgdvb.jpg http://i4.tinypic.com/10sge81.png
It's the Kyocera K500 Gamepad.

Why haven't we been including this in our polls of "who do you think will win the next-generation gaming machine!?!?!?!?!?!"

This one takes the cake - look at that graphics power!

:eek:

Macnoviz
May 27, 2006, 11:13 AM
Hey, how about this:

iLife '07: iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, Garageband, iWeb, iPhoto + iPlay/iGame/...

a seventh app, to do to games what the other apps did to photo's, music, movies, blogs, podcasts, ...
Instead of every game apart in a small box, an integration of games in the digital lifestyle, and relating to each other.
A download program for games, both popular and original
A virtual space to create an optimal space for game developers, and maybe play windows games, too (leopard)
Some more features that are surprising, innovative, and hence unpredictable.

Maybe I'm terribly wrong, but I think a guy like this is really suited for such software

eric_n_dfw
May 27, 2006, 11:15 AM
And what's with the scroll wheel for Arkanoid? Can't we just push <<- or ->> for left and right?
A digital control for an analog movement? To each his own. Remember, Arkanoid and Breakout both used spinner/paddle controllers.

I'm just waiting for someone to develop Tempest for the iPod!! That'll get me to buy a color iPod! :D (or at least wish I had one)

CrackedButter
May 27, 2006, 11:22 AM
My first and only thought was the hope of Apple developing games for the mac and not the ipod.

I couldn't care less about the ipod, I want more mac games.

If Apple can create games in much the same way they can create pro level applications then that in my opinion would be better. I mean they are creating these pro applications because other companies wouldn't? So why not do the same for games? Get more game companies interested in OSX development.

However, I suppose they will follow the easier path to money first.

But which would make more? iPod games which sell for a few bucks (plus any iPods) or brand new games for the mac where Apple can make a profit by charging more for professional games (existing mac users) and get game companies to buy macs (more profit) with which to do development on then in turn have consumers buy macs in order to play more games (even more profit).

Dont Hurt Me
May 27, 2006, 11:51 AM
If i was betting money it would be on pod games, Apples history with gaming has been iffy at very best.

Pancake
May 27, 2006, 11:55 AM
A digital control for an analog movement? To each his own. Remember, Arkanoid and Breakout both used spinner/paddle controllers.

But Arkanoid also made it to the NES, and I remember kicking a lot of butt just using the left and right on the D-pad. My thumb is WAY better at gaming than my index finger; that's more for pointing, in my opinion.

Macnoviz
May 27, 2006, 11:57 AM
If i was betting money it would be on pod games, Apples history with gaming has been iffy at very best.

Change is in the air, mate... maybe it's time to remove the last big obstacle for a lot of users to switch. Let a Macbook (pro) run the latest games, and you've got yourself a PC killer.

Scruff
May 27, 2006, 12:33 PM
Hey, how about this:

iLife '07: iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, Garageband, iWeb, iPhoto + iPlay/iGame/...

a seventh app, to do to games what the other apps did to photo's, music, movies, blogs, podcasts, ...
Instead of every game apart in a small box, an integration of games in the digital lifestyle, and relating to each other.
A download program for games, both popular and original
A virtual space to create an optimal space for game developers, and maybe play windows games, too (leopard)
Some more features that are surprising, innovative, and hence unpredictable.

Maybe I'm terribly wrong, but I think a guy like this is really suited for such software

You know, I'd like to think the next iLife App will be an iGame. Something that organises all my games, maybe even providing me with patch updates, game documentation, thing of that sort.

Heh, maybe even a feature that lets you record online matches/take screens and save them to your iTunes/iMovie/iPhoto library, :p.

Kingsly
May 27, 2006, 02:06 PM
If apple makes a game division my head will fly off, do a 360ļ turn, stick back on, and I will glue myself to my MacBook Pro.

xPismo
May 27, 2006, 02:19 PM
I was thinking maybe a newer version of Brick or Parachute....

Dont forget solitare. Solitare 3000! Woooooo.... heh. But really, better gaming from mac - especially now that we are x86 should become a serious concern. I really don't want the mac gaming industry to die if everyone is just using BootCamp.

As long as the speeds are = or better on the OSX side, I dont' see that happening.

Lollypop
May 27, 2006, 02:59 PM
Dont forget solitare. Solitare 3000! Woooooo.... heh. But really, better gaming from mac - especially now that we are x86 should become a serious concern. I really don't want the mac gaming industry to die if everyone is just using BootCamp.

As long as the speeds are = or better on the OSX side, I dont' see that happening.

I agree, just make it easier to port, and have them run faster and people wont have a reason to go to windows. When bootcamp came out everyone was excited because of the games, that should have scared apple, hopefully that was a wakeup call for then that games are in fact important!

poppe
May 27, 2006, 03:28 PM
I don't like the idea of a game being only available on a particular platform. I donít think it has enough pulling power to get people to switch. What I want to be able to do because it has far more appeal, is to shoot the snot out of my PC mates in Battle Front 2 with out having to buy a PC or have Windows running on my Mac. :D

I think exclusive platform games is exactly what apple needs. My parents who were 40 at the time bought the N64 just because they liked playing Goldeneye so much.

I bought the Gcube just for Smash Brothers

I/my Parents bought Xbox for Halo.

I'll be buying DS lite for Zelda.

If Apple made an exclusive game for the Mac that rocked the socks like these games it could really do some good.

But wouldn't it be cool if Apple:

A) started developing software to really optimize the hardware to play stunning games.

and:

B) came out with a Video iPod which in fact is the PSP killer. (not gonna happen) PSP is good and all but is still pretty lame to play... So what if Apple came out with a video iPod that could play sweet games that would link to the Airport Extreme and you could then play wirelessly with your friends using an iMac or MBP! (Not gonna Happen)

Pancake
May 27, 2006, 03:39 PM
I think exclusive platform games is exactly what apple needs. My parents who were 40 at the time bought the N64 just because they liked playing Goldeneye so much.

If Apple made an exclusive game for the Mac that rocked the socks like these games it could really do some good.

A) started developing software to really optimize the hardware to play stunning games.

I think there is too big a jump between paying $200-300 to play a game and paying $1500-2500.

I think what Apple needs to do is get OpenGL working at least as good on Mac as it does PC if not better.

poppe
May 27, 2006, 03:53 PM
I think there is too big a jump between paying $200-300 to play a game and paying $1500-2500.

I think what Apple needs to do is get OpenGL working at least as good on Mac as it does PC if not better.

Oh yes, but I more meant they were making a Video iPod that was very gaming capable like the PSP but around $499 and like XBOX 360 and Windows VIsta, you could play someone playing on there ViPod while using your mac. The ViPod would have worse graphics than a Mac of course but it would still alow you to have WiFi game parties against other ViPod players and Mac users all together at the same time.

Yvan256
May 27, 2006, 09:30 PM
Games for iPod.. hmm. No.

I hope they are doing something with Mac gaming. I think that might be the #1 reason many people aren't switching. Ask any of my friends and they'll probably confirm it.

Well, Apple might just be doing a "switch pull" the same way they did for PC users... Free iTunes -> iPod -> Mac. Remember, the numbers we've seen for switchers accounts for almost 50% of all Mac users as of today (sorry can't find the link right now - it was rumors anyway).

How about the new "real video iPod" can indeed get games from iTMS? Even better, release a free dev kit (OS X only to get developpers to buy a Mac to enter this new market - only costs a Mac mini) so more games can be made for that new iPod (hence pushing demand) and perhaps become #2 in the portable gaming market (IMO it will be easy to push the PSP to 3rd place).

After a few years, those developpers could become OS X games publishers (along with iPod games).

Of course, Apple should also have something so you can play the iPod games on any Mac too (but not Windows). You either need an iPod and/or a Mac to play those games. Games could probably also run in high resolution on a Mac, just like Leopard is going to be resolution-independant.

alec
May 28, 2006, 12:54 AM
I think some people are misinterpreting these moves as 'Apple moving into the gaming market'. I think the reality is Apple wants to make it easier for others to program games for the Mac (and by proxy, the iPod).

btfgus
May 28, 2006, 04:34 AM
Either way, if it is for iPod or for gaming in general it is all very exciting and promising???

G.Kirby
May 28, 2006, 09:24 AM

and:

B) came out with a Video iPod which in fact is the PSP killer. (not gonna happen) PSP is good and all but is still pretty lame to play... So what if Apple came out with a video iPod that could play sweet games that would link to the Airport Extreme and you could then play wirelessly with your friends using an iMac or MBP! (Not gonna Happen)

Don't get me wrong I really enjoy playing games on my Mac and have done for many years. Give me the Marathon Trilogy over Doom any day of the week. Marathon was my first memory of first person network mayhem. Now, I get a buzz out of playing solo games but the bomb hits when you play against others in a network game. I have played masses of first person shooter games and the one I keep coming back to is Unreal Tournament. The game play on CTF is out standing. However, there are some great games out there for PC that I would love to play on my Mac solo or network and I hope that I can do this some day. In the mean time if Apple are going to start developing games for the Mac they will need to be bloody brilliant. It is one thing spending £200 on a console for a game native only to that machine but to spend the best part of £1000 to play a Mac only game, I just canít see that happening.

Bonte
May 28, 2006, 09:25 AM
If Apple offers games for the iPod on iTunes they will sell millions (lets say 5 $ for simple games), it would be dumb not to enter that market.

gregorsamsa
May 28, 2006, 10:38 AM
I'd be hugely surprised if it was anything to do with a console. It wouldn't make any sense. The Apple Pippin was a complete failure, both over-priced & not enough games. Similar problems would apply to any new Mac console, further compounded by strong competition from Sony, Microsoft & Nintendo.

As for computer games ... Apple's latest release, the consumer MB, is a great computer for most purposes, but it would struggle to run most graphics-intensive games.

Unless it's something iPod-related, this could just another rumour. Either that, or Apple are about to suprise us yet again! Gaming laptop, cheaper than the MBP? Can't see it happening.

poppe
May 28, 2006, 10:56 AM
Don't get me wrong I really enjoy playing games on my Mac and have done for many years. Give me the Marathon Trilogy over Doom any day of the week. Marathon was my first memory of first person network mayhem. Now, I get a buzz out of playing solo games but the bomb hits when you play against others in a network game. I have played masses of first person shooter games and the one I keep coming back to is Unreal Tournament. The game play on CTF is out standing. However, there are some great games out there for PC that I would love to play on my Mac solo or network and I hope that I can do this some day. In the mean time if Apple are going to start developing games for the Mac they will need to be bloody brilliant. It is one thing spending £200 on a console for a game native only to that machine but to spend the best part of £1000 to play a Mac only game, I just canít see that happening.

I think what your saying just goes back to the whole is the PS3 worth the billion dollars its going to cost scenario.

What I mean is you've graduated from highschool/college and you ask your self what should I buy. Well you should probably get a computer for college/work/life. Your customizing left and right dell's hp's compaq's but none are really tickling your fancy, but behold you fall about www.apple.com. More expensive compared to most of the computers yes but you still keep coming back to this website. There is somethign about those computers.... You start to research it. Wow I get bootcamp "its just like being back in the womb. So cozy." And iLife "cool I can take video's of all the parties/women/drunk things that go on (if college scenario). And then I can make a Website of it all too."

Well wait I heard Apple was crappy at games... Maybe I should just stay with windows.

Apple realeases (game here like unreal tournament/halo/goldeneye/etc.) and is falls dead in his tracks. He realizes this Apple computer is no longer the PPC graphics artists computer but a Super frickin cool all in one and now gaming computer with an exclusive game!

The point is... No you can't justify paying a $1000+ to play a Mac only game, but you can justify spending $1000+ for A Mac because it has everyhting a Mac offers.

Thats the whole PS3 debate that is going on: Justification. Yes PS3 is a computer, but its not running any operating system that I can just go check email/run apps like iLife/ take to my quantum physics class and pretend to understand. So what justification do you have besides stellar graphics and Blue Ray. Thats why if Mac tapped on exclusive games it would just be another thing to add to the list of reasons to get a Mac. A Big reason to get a Mac.

G.Kirby
May 28, 2006, 12:01 PM
I think what your saying just goes back to the whole is the PS3 worth the billion dollars its going to cost scenario.

What I mean is you've graduated from highschool/college and you ask your self what should I buy. Well you should probably get a computer for college/work/life. Your customizing left and right dell's hp's compaq's but none are really tickling your fancy, but behold you fall about www.apple.com. More expensive compared to most of the computers yes but you still keep coming back to this website. There is somethign about those computers.... You start to research it. Wow I get bootcamp "its just like being back in the womb. So cozy." And iLife "cool I can take video's of all the parties/women/drunk things that go on (if college scenario). And then I can make a Website of it all too."

Well wait I heard Apple was crappy at games... Maybe I should just stay with windows.

Apple realeases (game here like unreal tournament/halo/goldeneye/etc.) and is falls dead in his tracks. He realizes this Apple computer is no longer the PPC graphics artists computer but a Super frickin cool all in one and now gaming computer with an exclusive game!

The point is... No you can't justify paying a $1000+ to play a Mac only game, but you can justify spending $1000+ for A Mac because it has everyhting a Mac offers.

Thats the whole PS3 debate that is going on: Justification. Yes PS3 is a computer, but its not running any operating system that I can just go check email/run apps like iLife/ take to my quantum physics class and pretend to understand. So what justification do you have besides stellar graphics and Blue Ray. Thats why if Mac tapped on exclusive games it would just be another thing to add to the list of reasons to get a Mac. A Big reason to get a Mac.

The best reason to get a Mac IS because it's a Mac and you get all the cool stuff including calculator and clock :D (see the new adds lol) I just think that the whole Mac package would be more attractive if you could play PC games on it as well.

I really hope that some clever people can produce a stripped down version of windows that will run in the background for the sole purpose of PC game playing on the Mac. :)

nsjoker
May 28, 2006, 02:43 PM
i'm sure this is for games on the mac, but we won't see any 5 star mac original games from this for at least another 3 years. they really need to optimize opengl which will take a while, and the actual game dev process is extremly lengthy for a quality game.

Maglock
May 29, 2006, 01:42 AM
Perhaps we are looking at this too literally. What if they are not planning on releasing their own system, but they plan to develop for other systems. I know this is my first post, but hear me out. They were asking for people with Arm7 experience to help create games. There are two systems out there that currently use ARM7-The Ipod, and the Nintendo DS. The DS has both an ARM7 processor that runs the touch screen half of the system, and an ARM9 that runs the top half where more processing power is needed for the graphics. Now imagine being able to take a small selection of your Itunes Music with you..on the DS. The Ipod DS. The gamecards for the DS can hold about 1gig so far. If they made just a music interface that would be what a thousand songs. Now if they limited your songs to say 100, but used the rest of the space to make a PDA like interface. (Newton..DS...) Then everything is already there. A touch Screen for fast interfacing. Wireless. A sexy design (Think DS Lite, very apple looking already) and an already built in customer base. I hope I didn't step over any line by posting my ideas. Let me know what you think.

Highland
May 29, 2006, 01:50 AM
Imagine an experience akin to browsing a physical library
http://www.steelskies.com/site/images/iTunesBrowserThumb.jpg
Hello CoverFlow (http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/).

milatchi
May 29, 2006, 02:59 PM
Excellent, a new First Person Shooter from Apple, iKill.

Diatribe
May 29, 2006, 03:33 PM
http://www.steelskies.com/site/images/iTunesBrowserThumb.jpg
Hello CoverFlow (http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/).

I said it before and I'll say it again. Apple should buy that idea and integrate it into iTunes 7.

Highland
May 29, 2006, 09:09 PM
They certainly should.

steebu
May 30, 2006, 01:46 AM
that app is freaking incredible!

it will definately be in iTunes 7.0 or Front Row 2.0 probably sooner

dernhelm
May 30, 2006, 05:14 AM
About 2-3 years ago (back when PPC ruled the roost) I was hoping (OK - actually predicted) that Apple would throw in with Nintendo and produce a derivative of the GameCube that would play Nintendo titles, but also run OS/X. When IBM announced the Cell with Sony I got even more hopeful that they'd produce something like an Amiga; with various additional processors keyed to tasks like gaming, in along with a general purpose CPU.

Once they announced the switch to Intel, I threw all that out the window.

And now they hire game programmers? :confused:

I give up...

Yvan256
May 30, 2006, 08:27 AM
[...] They were asking for people with Arm7 experience to help create games. There are two systems out there that currently use ARM7-The Ipod, and the Nintendo DS. [...] Now imagine being able to take a small selection of your Itunes Music with you..on the DS. The Ipod DS. [...] Let me know what you think.

Well, it already exists (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/play_yan_micro/index.html). I have one with a 1GB SD card, and I can play MP4 movies (which I encode using QuickTime Pro) and regular MP3 files with it. Weird thing is that the "movie" part of the cart accepts MPEG-4 video files with AAC audio but the "music" part of the cart only accepts MP3 files...

Opera is also making a web browser (for a Japan-only release so far) for the Nintendo DS.

It would be nice if Nintendo made another high-end DS that was sort of a merger between a DS Lite, the Play-Yan micro (with a SD card slot) and Opera, all built-in.

MB Buyer?
May 30, 2006, 09:14 AM
this has nothing to do with gaming on mac OS
now that we have bootcamp apple has conceded gaming to windows

the reason switcher/gamers arent more interested in macs is hardware related - software is no longer an issue - boot into windows and away you go.

the problem is that macs make poor gaming machines (hardware) - there's no pro intel mac yet, and you cant just go to the local computer shop and buy a new graphics card for your imac/MBP. I mean they dont even clock the X1600's properly!

MB and macmini - hmpff - yes they are great for everything other than games - but noone in their right mind buys one with gaming in mind.

so ... this cant have anything to do with gamin on OSX
gaming on an ipod - maybe
interface improvements for OSX - probably

morespce54
May 30, 2006, 01:16 PM
btw, in that gamespot article, they only mention brick and parachute, what about solitaire and music quiz?:)

well, I don't see how you could make a "Music Quiz II"... ;)
...but Brick, Parachute and Solitaire could most definitively get pumped to v2... :D

d4wild
May 31, 2006, 03:25 AM
I posted this in another thread, but I figured it would be interesting to you guys here as well: :)

Apple came to my college earlier this year to recruit computer animators for work on a "secret project." The two guys who came both had worked for EA before going over to Apple.

I tried my hardest to weasel information about it, but all they could say was that for it was "home entertainment purposes," and that it involved lots of modeling and some facial animation.

burgerboy9n
Jun 10, 2006, 06:53 PM
in apples adc mailing:

Developing Games on Mac OS X Using Third-Party Game Engines
Create your own game, using powerful and easy-to-learn game engines that run on Mac OS X. Read this article to see what each engine has to offer and how to get started.

http://developer.apple.com/games/gameenginesonmac.html

is this what they were recruting for.. most likely :)