Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soccerfan5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
When I got OS X, I immdiately started using Omni for the antialiased text and all, but to do most of my web-banking and such I'd have to launch IE (nice and buggy). Not a pleasant experience after Omni... But after a while I noticed that IE was faster than Omni if only uglier. Now I use the nightly builds of Mozilla, and I must say that while the interface is undergoing some work, the foundation is great. Its fast, its customizable, and it has Tabs. Mozilla renders all the pages I use on a regular basis correctly, and it does it faster than either IE or Omni. The interface is not near what Omni brings to the table, but its fast. Lastly, the Tabs are the best thing since sliced bread.

oh, on the customization, you can block advert images! Once you get 'em blocked from your most visited sites they load bloody fast.

Just some o my opions on the view of the world wide web.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Amen.

I couldn't agree more. Now if only it were prettier.

However, I don't use a Mac because it looks better (even though it does). I use it because it works better. Mozilla has become my default browser because it works better.

Chris

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
iCab, Opera and I€ are the 3 I have used most recently, I find Opera to be ugly but loads pages fast, iCab to be fast but not stable. IE seems to work the best, its not particularly fast but it seems to be stable under osx.

I got Netscape of the most recent macworlduk cd but it didn't open properly so thats where i left it. Any luck with netscape anyone?

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Netscape

It's my second choice, actually. I find it to be incredibly stable and second only to Mozilla in speed. If only it were more Aqua and faster at opening new windows. Opera is a nice browser, but considerably slower than the others with complex page renderings.

Seems to be a lot of variability in this, though.

Just my experience.

CJM

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Netscape.. ya, just try playing Shockwave and Flash stuff on that.. no go..face it, we're stuck with IE for a while unless Apple has an Ace up their sleave.. Hmm, the IE contract is due to terminate very soon.. wonder if its gonna be renewed ... or... ?

jail

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2002
Australia
iCab or netscape

iCab is my primary browser, it's fast enough, and handles most pages well. it's got some great features like blocking adds, command clicking a link to open it in a new window get's used by me every 5 minutes. plus it opens in about 1 second! can't beat that. otherwise i would use netscape, it's fast and reliable enough, but i can't stand waiting so long for it to start up or open a new window. if i need a page that don't work in them i use ie.

wish apple would write a browser with the features of iCab, speed of mozilla, and the reliability of ie :mad:

OnAShelf

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2002
iCab

I have been using Omniweb a lot, but I must say that as iCab is getting closer to its official release, it is getting better and better. I have been a big fan of iCab for a while now (and I have a couple links in their pages that make iCab smile section). The latest version supports css pretty well, its fast, and it doesn't have all sorts of unnecessary features. It is, however, full of good things, like ad-blocking and such. I also love that it supports the link option in html, even though only it and Lynx (as far as I know) do so. And if you're a web-developer. it smiles if your html is valid (not xhtml at this time, however). Its still officially in beta, but well worth a try...

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Now, try IE5.1 under classic!!! Why is it so much faster????????? I'm talking on the same machine!

Apple, pls. do something about this speed thing in whatever it is that is slowing down osx native apps!

makes no sense to me... that ie5.1 in osx native runs slower than ie5.1 classic on the same machine (G4)...

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
ya OS X is a lot more complicated. drawing all that nice transparency, and generally running the operating system does eat up a lot of resources. but if you have a DP machine, the speed difference isnt very noticable, and the added stability is great..

i just tried out NS 6 today. i can't believe anybody would use that thing. it was horrible slow. just godawful. :(

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I've found myself switching between Omni and IE. I find Omni to be more stable so I use that most of the time on my OS X machine . On my older computers I still use IE though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.