PDA

View Full Version : Intel iMac x1600: 128MB vs 256MB...I know, bear with me...and card type

iHeartTheApple
May 27, 2006, 09:25 PM
Ok guys...first question:
I'm getting a 20" iMac for gaming and as an all-around home compy and was wondering if the 256MB of vRam is really worth it? I know, I know...:o There have been threads about this. I've read them and unless I missed something, there has never been a real solid feel for which was better. I found very few realworld frame rates for WoW, UT, Doom3, etc.

The reason I ask is because none of my local Apple stores have the iMac with the 256MB upgrade and I prefer to buy from a brick and mortar store. Also, if I don't need to order online and pay the extra $75 for the 256MB, then obviously that's better...I've heard that people have experienced framerates of 50-100fps on the new Intel iMacs, but they never specify with which vRAM configuration. Anyways, if anyone could shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Second (out of curiosity) question:
Are the x1600 cards in the iMac Duo's of the Mobility type or the regular cards? I don't know if it makes a difference, but I was reading on the ATI website and it has the X1600 series under both the Mobility and Gamer categories...This is really just a curiosity question and I'm not sure if it really matters in the long run. :o

LimeiBook86
May 27, 2006, 10:09 PM
I believe the iMac's graphics card is actually the mobility version but it's clocked higher/faster than the MacBook Pro's graphics card. Although you can change that with a few programs if you really want. :)

harveypooka
May 28, 2006, 06:49 AM
More memory will let you load more textures and what not. I wouldn't have thought it would have increased performance that much but if you can afford it, go for it. BareFeats will probably have something about it.

MacRumorUser
May 28, 2006, 07:48 AM
More memory will let you load more textures and what not. I wouldn't have thought it would have increased performance that much but if you can afford it, go for it. BareFeats will probably have something about it.

Get it! It's only 40-50 dollars more and you cant upgrade it after the fact. It's worth it.

iHeartTheApple
May 28, 2006, 10:31 AM
Get it! It's only 40-50 dollars more and you cant upgrade it after the fact. It's worth it.

Good point. :) It doesn't make sense *not* to get it after thinking about it for a few minutes. From the looks of your signature, once my iMac and MB ram/hdd come in, I'm going to have basically the *exact* same computer setup as you, MacRumorUser. It's the MB/iMAC gaming crew. :cool:

MacRumorUser
May 28, 2006, 10:35 AM
LOL! You copy cat :D

Only suggestion to you is to download 'supercal' you can get it from google search.

Its a very handy color calibration program. The macbook has a little too much red, so if you want to match up your imac and macbooks displays, this is perfect and free.

I always use it to get uniformity through all my monitors.

iHeartTheApple
May 28, 2006, 10:42 AM
LOL! You copy cat :D

Only suggestion to you is to download 'supercal' you can get it from google search.

Its a very handy color calibration program. The macbook has a little too much red, so if you want to match up your imac and macbooks displays, this is perfect and free.

I always use it to get uniformity through all my monitors.

Great! I'll give it a try. :) I didn't notice that the MB had too much red. :( I guess it will be more obvious with the iMac right next to it. I assume that its a visual comparison and adjustment-type thing? Do you kind of look at the two monitors and then adjust the settings within SuperCal? Thanks for the advice!

BlizzardBomb
May 28, 2006, 11:32 AM
I think BareFeats said it was a 3 - 5% speed boost when going from 128MB to 256MB VRAM. But as others have said, you can't upgrade it after you've bought it and you might get your money back at the other end when it comes to selling :)

EDIT: Found it...

As we stated, we haven't been able to get our hands on the iMac Core Duo with 256MB of VRAM. One remote mad scientist sent us some test results for Doom 3 and UT2004. It was 3 to 5% faster than the iMac Core Duo with 128MB of VRAM.

MacRumorUser
May 28, 2006, 11:41 AM
Great! I'll give it a try. :) I didn't notice that the MB had too much red. :( I guess it will be more obvious with the iMac right next to it. I assume that its a visual comparison and adjustment-type thing? Do you kind of look at the two monitors and then adjust the settings within SuperCal? Thanks for the advice!

Well in Safari, does the chrome look more red than gray?

Supercal you just follow its settings and once complete both will look the same. You dont need to look at one or the other. Just run the program.

Color calibration is important for me as I need my work to look the same as it does when printed.

iHeartTheApple
May 28, 2006, 12:04 PM
Well in Safari, does the chrome look more red than gray?

Supercal you just follow its settings and once complete both will look the same. You dont need to look at one or the other. Just run the program.

Color calibration is important for me as I need my work to look the same as it does when printed.

Yeah after reading the thread about the red/pink hue on the safari window I compared it to my PowerBook and sure enough, I can see a faint pink/red hue. Honestly, if I hadn't been told by others or compared it to my PB I probably would be none the wiser. :)

So, this isn't a display problem is it? It's simply the fact that everything in the MB is still being broken in, right? I'm not too knowledgeable about computer displays and their colors, to be honest...:o If I calibrate it using SuperCal, will I ever need to do it again? When reinstalling OS X (if I ever need to) or in BootCamp/Windows? Thanks for the help!

MacRumorUser
May 28, 2006, 01:15 PM
Yeah after reading the thread about the red/pink hue on the safari window I compared it to my PowerBook and sure enough, I can see a faint pink/red hue. Honestly, if I hadn't been told by others or compared it to my PB I probably would be none the wiser. :)

So, this isn't a display problem is it? It's simply the fact that everything in the MB is still being broken in, right? I'm not too knowledgeable about computer displays and their colors, to be honest...:o If I calibrate it using SuperCal, will I ever need to do it again? When reinstalling OS X (if I ever need to) or in BootCamp/Windows? Thanks for the help!

No its not a fault, it's just slightly different factory colour calibration. Nothing to worry about at all.