Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

losfp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Phew! Just ordered a fully loaded (sans superdrive) 12" PB online - my first ever Mac! Now for the long wait :) I suspect it will be 2-4 weeks before I see it here in Australia. Ah well, good things come etc etc etc.

Watch for my massive explosion of questions when it gets here and I haven't a clue how to use it properly :D 15+ years of using PCs may have ingrained a few habits...

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-losfp

First piece of advice. Remember that you will tend to over think it. Using a PC has ingrained some habits that when you wish to do the same thing on the Mac, the Mac is simpler.

Just remember, when trying something new, think to yourself "What would I do to accomplish this?"

For example:

Delete [your average] app? Drag it to the trash. No uninstall, no .dll's, no sh**.

Burn a CD? Pop it in, Drag/Drop you files to it as if it's any other magenetic media, eject (drag to trash). Done!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
realize that the mac and pc are similar

some say, with good evidence, that windows copied the mac os

and for a more recent example, look at os x when you boot it up and see if there is another "aqua" looking os out there made from a company somewhere in washington state;)

enjoy your mac experience

and in a few weeks, you may have a justified anger against microsoft when you realize just how much they stole from us over the years...but that's normal:D

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by jefhatfield
and in a few weeks, you may have a justified anger against microsoft when you realize just how much they stole from us over the years...but that's normal:D

And don't forget how Apple stole ideas from Palo Alto research :)

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by reflex
And don't forget how Apple stole ideas from Palo Alto research :)

-reflex

Actually, Apple bought the rights to develop on the Star interface from Douglas Englebart (inventor of the GUI) of PARC.

Apple bought the GUI, MS stole the GUI, then bribed Sculley not to sue for patent infringement.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
Originally posted by patrick0brien
...then bribed Sculley not to sue for patent infringement.

wasn't sculley the pepsi guy? gates was just smart enough to know a soda guy wouldn't understand the importance of gui.

*ps- that whole boardroom coup thing that steve jobs attempted before getting fired; that is the stuff of hollywood.:)

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-reflex

Actually, Apple bought the rights to develop on the Star interface from Douglas Englebart (inventor of the GUI) of PARC.

Apple bought the GUI, MS stole the GUI, then bribed Sculley not to sue for patent infringement.

Yeah Xerox also got a hefty chunk of Apple stock, pretty nice for a product that you were never intending to market.
Many great things came from Parc: Mouse, ethernet, gui, and laser printers.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I hope that you have a nice experience with your Mac.

I love the new Powerbooks. They're so awesome looking. :D

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Wow 2-4 weeks! I'm getting my first mac also (iBook) and I can't even stand waiting 9 days! It's going to be hell.

Which brings up something else. I'm so ready to see how great X is... but I'm kinda scared that I'm getting that hype feeling. It's kinda like I get for movies also.

I will explain. When I think a movie is going to be the best movie of all time, I got watch it and it's a good movie, but it wasn't as great as I made it out to me.

Hope everything turns out okay.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by cyberdogl2
I'm kinda scared that I'm getting that hype feeling.

-cyberdogl2

Yeah, it hurts to have your expectation set high just to disappoint.

Well, I think you will find that OS X lives up to them. Granted it's no panacea, but it about as close as you can get.

losfp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Well, I'm GUESSING that it will be 2-4, as I'm getting it BTO - upgraded HDD, RAM, Airport etc.

Rather wait a few more days for it than getting it a week early and whining about how I should have had it upgraded at the start ;)

Playing the waiting game now.. waiting.. waiting... :D

losfp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Ah hah!! it's moved from "reviewing order" to "being assembled" :D :D

Though there doesn't seem to be any estimated time on shipping... :confused:

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by losfp
Ah hah!! it's moved from "reviewing order" to "being assembled" :D :D

Though there doesn't seem to be any estimated time on shipping... :confused:

remember that apple is a very small company in a sea of pc companies, so as a mac user, you will always play the waiting game

most software titles and most video cards come out on the pc first and that can be aggravating at times

losfp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
argh. Ordered on the 19th, called up on the 25th to check on the progress..

"looks like it's just about ready to be shipped. call back on monday to check"

Just did and now it's "oh, we got an email on the 27th advising it will be 12 more days. Please check again on the 11th"

ARGH!

The good things always take ages, and feel like an eternity. The bad things on the other hand, always seem to rush up on you.... :) I'd been all ready to go with downloaded software updates and shareware apps too.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
that seems really weird seeing as the 12in powerbook with superdrive has a 1-3 day wait. Are you ordering it from apple directly?

losfp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Directly from Apple - I'm in Australia though, so that might have an impact? Which doesn't really make sense, it apparently hasn't even shipped yet! :)

I thought I'd beat the backorder thing by not ordering until after they were shipping for a few weeks.. uhh.. apparently not :D

Any other Aussies find that we get shafted on delivery times? Just curious...

losfp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Woo! have a good whinge and they obviously listen :)

Dear Apple Customer,

The following products shipped on 03.03.2003. Transit time will depend upon whether you have chosen standard or premium freight options. If your order is shipping standard freight, it should arrive within 2 - 5 business days of shipment.

Now of course it's probably got to go from Taiwan to Australia, then to my house.. but it's good to hear that it's progressing anyway!

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
ctrl click

The thing I stress most to "switchers" is ctrl + click which is essentally the same as your right click that after 20 years of pc's you've come accustomed to for doing anything. Or just get a mouse w/ a right click ;)

losfp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Don't worry about that at all.. I have 3 5-button optical mice at home. Microsoft Intellimouse Optical :D excellent miceses, despite being Microsoft-branded.

losfp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Noooooooooo!!! :(

No one was home when the couriers stopped at the house. Must wait till tomorrow... must be patient... calm blue ocean... calm blue ocean........

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by losfp
No one was home when the couriers stopped at the house. Must wait till tomorrow... must be patient... calm blue ocean... calm blue ocean........

-Hmm

Somebody's not sleeping tonight.

Please tell us how the ceiling was after being stuck to it all night. :D

I'm sure I speak for one or two of us here when I say - I understand my friend. Welcome to the downside of the world that is Mac.

BTW- Get a slipcase - it'll never leave your side, might as well baby it - and watch that grabbing it's latch side!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.