PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Build Quality

R.Youden
May 28, 2006, 05:59 AM
I used to own a G3 iBook but I upgraded to a 12" PowerBook just over a year ago.

The big difference for me between the two machine apart from performance was the build qualify. Everything feels so much better on the PowerBook, especially the track pad and mouse button. I may be getting a MacBook and I doubt that I will be able to have a feel and a play before I buy so my question is, especially to anyone who has updated from a PowerBook to MacBook:

What is the quatlity like? Does the mouse have that definitive 'click' that the PowerBook had or is it more of a prod that the iBook had?

Thanks.

netdog
May 28, 2006, 06:05 AM
The MacBook has a VERY solid feel to it.

Deepdale
May 28, 2006, 07:32 AM
I would say the click is solid based upon my playtime with the models.

bentley
May 28, 2006, 07:44 AM
Macbook feels more solid than my 12" PB ever did.

wxboss
May 28, 2006, 10:37 AM
I can't comment on the PB, but the MB is pretty solid to me. The trackpad is great, and all keys, buttons are responsive. I have no real issues with it at all.

iHeartTheApple
May 28, 2006, 10:56 AM
Having upgraded from a PowerBook to a MacBook, I would say that the MB has a much more solid feel than the PB. The plastic seems to be much more rigid than the aluminum. I kind of feel like I don't have to be too fragile with it (like I did with the PB), except that I'm trying very hard not to scratch it up. :o

macjay
May 28, 2006, 03:24 PM
What is the quatlity like?
The MacBooks look and feel cheap to me. *ducks* Same as all the plastic versions of the dual-USB ibooks.

Apple hasn't built an iBook with high-quality finish since the early "Translucent White" iBook G3's. After that, it was all downhill as far as the enclosure. (See this post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1804293&mode=linear#post1804293

Definitely check out the MacBook in person before buying. Personally, I'd stick with the PB.

bankshot
May 28, 2006, 03:39 PM
Apple hasn't built an iBook with high-quality finish since the early "Translucent White" iBook G3's. After that, it was all downhill as far as the enclosure.

I have one of those iBooks (now dead), and I used to always say it was built like a tank. After having the Macbook for a little over a week, I can definitely say that the Macbook feels far more solid than the iBook. It's definitely more dense, and the entire casing feels much more rigid. Pretty good if you ask me!

NVRsayNVR
May 28, 2006, 05:32 PM
Just got my new MacBook day before yesterday and I really like the look and feel. I have had a blueberry, still have a G3 iBook, had the 12" PB and still own a 17 incher. I prefer the action of the MacBook better then any of the others without a doubt. The MacBook's keyboard has a very nice and consistant action and the trackpad button is VERY solid. My PB 17 clicked with a slight stickyness but the MacBook has a shorter, smoother and almost undetectable action to it. Hope that helps your decision process.

"Think Alike... BE Different!"

WozzaUK
Sep 22, 2009, 03:54 AM
I've had a "white" MacBook since November 2008 and the build quality is terrible.

Whole thing doesn't sit flat on a flat surface.
When closed the lid/screen isn't flush with the bottom section/keyboard.
I've had two new top cases: 1st splitting due to too strong magnets and 2nd due to splitting above disk drive.
Bottom case cracked on back left corner near rubber foot, Apple blamed that on me (even though I'm disabled and the laptop never leaves the house) and refused to repair unless I paid for it to be done.
All of the keys seem to rattle (don't know if this is normal).

My wife's Toshiba Windows laptop is 6 months older and is always on the move doesn't have any problems at all.

But due to all things that have happened I would never go back to Windows, Long live the Mac but with better build quality.

ahm
Sep 22, 2009, 09:01 PM
I've had a "white" MacBook since November 2008 and the build quality is terrible.

Whole thing doesn't sit flat on a flat surface.
When closed the lid/screen isn't flush with the bottom section/keyboard.
I've had two new top cases: 1st splitting due to too strong magnets and 2nd due to splitting above disk drive.
Bottom case cracked on back left corner near rubber foot, Apple blamed that on me (even though I'm disabled and the laptop never leaves the house) and refused to repair unless I paid for it to be done.
All of the keys seem to rattle (don't know if this is normal).

My wife's Toshiba Windows laptop is 6 months older and is always on the move doesn't have any problems at all.

But due to all things that have happened I would never go back to Windows, Long live the Mac but with better build quality.

This thread is so old.

Anyway, did you buy that Macbook at Best Buy? Just curious. I'm conducting a private survey.