PDA

View Full Version : Call of duty 2

aussie_geek
May 28, 2006, 06:36 AM
has anyone bought this? what's it like? I'm thinking of picking it up tomorrow

aussie_geek

harveypooka
May 28, 2006, 06:45 AM
A friend of mine just uses it for Multiplayer - another said the solo action was fairly dull and linear.

menziep
May 28, 2006, 07:18 AM
A friend of mine just uses it for Multiplayer - another said the solo action was fairly dull and linear.

I use both and i think the single player is one of the best in any WW2 Shooter

harveypooka
May 28, 2006, 09:29 AM
Well Aussie, I hope this answers your question! Haha! :confused: Best go buy it...

XNine
May 28, 2006, 12:58 PM
The solo on Veteran is incredibly hard but very gratifying. It pisses you off, makes you throw thing at the tv, and best of all, keeps you playing it.

The multiplayer (at least, on the 360) is decent, though only 8 people at a time, it can be great fun.

aussie_geek
May 28, 2006, 03:03 PM
Yeh - just ordered it!!

I will be running it on my G5 (see sig) - it only has the default 9600xt graphics card. I know it is the minimum spec card...

how will it run on that??

aussie_geek

Cougarcat
May 28, 2006, 05:17 PM
Yeh - just ordered it!!

I will be running it on my G5 (see sig) - it only has the default 9600xt graphics card. I know it is the minimum spec card...

how will it run on that??

aussie_geek

Just for kicks I'd be interested to see how it runs (if at all) on your Powerbook.

Felldownthewell
May 28, 2006, 07:10 PM
I JUST bought it at the Pioneer Place Apple store. I sold some PSP games at EB to afford it and now I'm sitting in Coffee People playing it (and being on MR). Its amazing! Not as good as my all time favorite HL2 but still a vast improvment over CoD1 and a ton of fun to play. Its got my vote!

voyagerd
May 28, 2006, 08:13 PM
I had it preordered on Amazon since April 12th, but they never got it. I cancelled the order on Friday and ordered it from Apple. It shipped on the same day. Go Apple.

I hope the game will run on my 12" PowerBook.

applemacdude
May 29, 2006, 12:44 AM
it pisses u off... but fun nonetheless

aussie_geek
May 29, 2006, 04:33 AM
Just for kicks I'd be interested to see how it runs (if at all) on your Powerbook.

hee hee - it should JUST run... minimum spec is a 1.5GHz processor. it has the ATI 9700 mobility radeon 128 MB in it so yes, it will be interesting..

UPDATE: The Visa needed a scorching so I just ordered a Radeon x800xt for the G5 - seems like the graphics dilemma will not be an issue now :D. Maybe Quake 4 will be in order for next week. I will post the frame rates achieved on the PowerBook and the G5 with the 9600 and the x800xt.

I ended up ordering it from OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI%20Technologies/100435317/). The price for this card in .au is well over $800!!

aussie_geek

ReanimationLP
May 29, 2006, 04:44 AM
Call of Duty 2 is an awesome game.

Now I just need a video card that doesnt choke half to death on it. o.o'

aussie_geek
May 29, 2006, 05:05 AM
Call of Duty 2 is an awesome game.

Now I just need a video card that doesnt choke half to death on it. o.o'

What's the multiplayer like? Are there heaps of PC h4x0r's with wallhacks and aimbots? Is it as bad as COD 1 and United offensive??

aussie_geek

yellow
May 29, 2006, 08:44 AM
has anyone bought this? what's it like? I'm thinking of picking it up tomorrow

I bought it for the PC last week. It's a pretty good game, but slightly different in CoD in that there's no heals anywhere. So it makes me wonder how many times I can get shot it the face before I go down. :)

Good action though, and better AI than CoD. Still solid graphics and cool missions. If you liked CoD, this one is worth it. IMO.

AFAIK, CoD2 has punkbuster.

DougTheImpaler
May 29, 2006, 12:18 PM
it pisses u off... but fun nonetheless
a good description. I got it for the 360 over the weekend and have to say this is dead on.

voyagerd
May 29, 2006, 09:10 PM
Anyone want to post frame rates for the Mac version on various machines?

RollTide
May 29, 2006, 10:17 PM
The multiplayer is good, tons of folks play and I have had only one game where a guy could not be killed, but you can vote them out, other than that no cheats that I have come across. I like the no health pack thing. I went back to playing cod1 and I realized how having to search for medical kits just seem to take away from the game.

Anyway, a shot from a kar98, enfield, springfield will generally do the job in one show, Gewher takes 2 most of the time, as well as m1 garand( get good with that gun) Thompson may take a whole clip(like 2.5 seconds), but definetly one of the most effective "room brooms" in the game, but the Mp44 is versatile and my personal favorite. Hmmm bout all I can think to say right now, don't play capture the flag, too addictive.
P.S. Sry for bad grammar, its late!

aussie_geek
May 30, 2006, 03:11 AM
don't play capture the falg, to addictive.

I know what you mean there - that's all I play in COD UO!! It is always great when you call artillery strikes on the enemy flags!! :D :D

aussie_geek

mowogg
May 30, 2006, 09:05 AM
Does anyone know how to enter a specific server address in CoD2? It doesn't seem possible like it was in CoD1 and I can't find the Dread server in the server list.

Great game. Slightly different controls from 1 and UO.

BTW, plays great on my 1.8 G5 with an ATI 9800 in full screen at 1680x1050.

KREX725
May 30, 2006, 12:19 PM

I'm really glad to hear that. I'm running a single 1.8 G5 also with an ATI x800. The processor was only the minimum so I was a bit worried.

mowogg
May 30, 2006, 01:00 PM
I noticed that CoD2 has voice chat built in, and in fact started up my iSight when I loaded the game.
Does anyone know if it works on the Mac or has any special requirements for the Mac like Ventrilo and the other (can't remember the name right now) have?
I only have played about 45 minutes since getting teh game last night. A few of the maps are re-workings of the UO maps, but look A LOT better.

voyagerd
May 30, 2006, 02:06 PM

Yay, I have a single 1.8 G5 with a 9800 too!

aussie_geek
May 30, 2006, 03:54 PM
I noticed that CoD2 has voice chat built in, and in fact started up my iSight when I loaded the game.
Does anyone know if it works on the Mac or has any special requirements for the Mac like Ventrilo and the other (can't remember the name right now) have?
I only have played about 45 minutes since getting teh game last night. A few of the maps are re-workings of the UO maps, but look A LOT better.

There was a post in this thread about no health packs in the game. Is this true? What about multiplayer??

aussie_geek

Haoshiro
May 30, 2006, 03:57 PM
As I recall there really isn't a need for health backs, esp since (iirc) there is no Health Meter either.

It works really well... though I only played the demo. Multiplayer, I have heard, is still pretty buggy.

wilco440
May 30, 2006, 05:38 PM
Anyone want to post frame rates for the Mac version on various machines?

I've always wonder how to find out this info. Anyone got any suggestions?

CoD2 arrived yesterday and plays OK on my iMac 2 GHz PowerPC - visually impressive even compared to UO - but from what little I've so far lived through, things start to slow down enormously whenever things get complicated (ie in the big square in front of the building which you need to demolish in the first Russian campaign...).

But its still pretty impressive.... a fantastic evolution of the original game.

mowogg
May 30, 2006, 08:01 PM
There was a post in this thread about no health packs in the game. Is this true? What about multiplayer??

aussie_geek

Yeah, no health packs. When you get shot too many times it tells you to "get under over" and the screen is fringed in blood-red. I guess if you get behind cover you heal. Haven't found that out yet, usually I am in the middle of a bunch of gun-toting nazis when that happens and they just kill me and then dance on my corpse.

No health packs in multiplayer either. It's fun tho.

mowogg
May 30, 2006, 08:03 PM
I've always wonder how to find out this info. Anyone got any suggestions?

CoD2 arrived yesterday and plays OK on my iMac 2 GHz PowerPC - visually impressive even compared to UO - but from what little I've so far lived through, things start to slow down enormously whenever things get complicated (ie in the big square in front of the building which you need to demolish in the first Russian campaign...).

But its still pretty impressive.... a fantastic evolution of the original game.

I know what part you are talking about and it ran fine on my 1.8 G5. I don't know what to enter for framerate in console yet, so I don't know how it's doing specifically

saunders45
May 30, 2006, 09:06 PM
"Runs Fine" is completley subjective. COD2 will bring good PC rigs to their knees with everything cranked, even at 1280 x1024. 20-30 FPS is playable. 30-40 is "runs fine." 40+ is really an acceptable playing rate as this game wildly fluctuates.

TDM21
May 30, 2006, 09:17 PM
Ha anybody tried installing the game on a G4? I know the minimum requirements say G5/Intel, but I am wondering if that is just a suggestion or if Apsyr actually locked the game from playing on G4 systems. People with upgraded systems would like to know.

Thanks.

saunders45
May 30, 2006, 09:25 PM
Ha anybody tried installing the game on a G4? I know the minimum requirements say G5/Intel, but I am wondering if that is just a suggestion or if Apsyr actually locked the game from playing on G4 systems. People with upgraded systems would like to know.

Thanks.

Good luck on a G4. As for the guy who wanted to run it on his 12" powerbook, not a chance. Better return it while you can.

mowogg
May 30, 2006, 10:12 PM
Looks like we need a 1.2 update to bring the Mac version in line with the PC. I wanted to play multiplayer on the Dread server <http://dread.enemylines.us/> and it didn't show up.
Putting the IP directly into the console- "~" then "/connect 64.27.10.241" brings up an error message that says "server different version 1.2"
I know there was an update on the PC side, I guess I'll just have to wait for the Mac version to catch up
The CodUO Dread server is great.

voyagerd
May 30, 2006, 10:21 PM
Good luck on a G4. As for the guy who wanted to run it on his 12" powerbook, not a chance. Better return it while you can.

Well, I'll try it on the 12" tomorrow. If it doesn't run, I'll have to make my friend with a 15" PowerBook come over to my dorm so I can use my old G5. :D

voyagerd
May 31, 2006, 05:28 PM
Wow! Call of Duty 2 works well on my 12" PowerBook using automatic settings. It also works fine on My G5, though I wish I could run it at higher quality.

Cougarcat
May 31, 2006, 05:36 PM
Wow! Call of Duty 2 works well on my 12" PowerBook using automatic settings. It also works fine on My G5, though I wish I could run it at higher quality.

Nice! I have a 15" (w/ 128MB Radeon) so this is good news. What kind of FPS were you getting?

I really hope Aspyr comes out w/ a demo of this and Quake IV soon...

voyagerd
May 31, 2006, 06:42 PM
I'm getting about 20+ fps on my 12" PowerBook on Automatic settings at the native resolution, 1024x768.

eXan
May 31, 2006, 08:51 PM
I'm getting about 20+ fps on my 12" PowerBook on Automatic settings at the native resolution, 1024x768.

Thats when facing a wall? ;)

iCaffeine
May 31, 2006, 09:41 PM
Is there a Mac demo available for download?

voyagerd
May 31, 2006, 10:16 PM
Is there a Mac demo available for download?

No demo.

voyagerd
May 31, 2006, 10:22 PM
Thats when facing a wall? ;)

No, that's when running around.

Apparently, The game runs really well on G4's, better than CoD United Offensive even. I can turn textures up to Extra and turn the High Quality Renderer on. With G4s though, I don't see any specular, bump mapping, or dynamic lighting, which is what really slows it down on my G5.

http://homepage.mac.com/ericliskay/Shiny.jpg

MacsRgr8
Jun 1, 2006, 02:04 PM
This game has been haunting me.....

I bought this game for my PC just before it died, so I had literally a couple of minutes fun with it.. :o
That was so irritating, as I love all those WW II FPS (MOH, COD), and desperately want to play this game!

But finally it is here for the Mac :cool: !!!

So, now I also ordered it for my little Quad, but as I hate waiting.... i couldn't resist... I downloaded it too, and will be playing this weekend waiting for my legit copy.
But, I don't feel bad about my download. I bought it once for my PC... but can't play it, ordered it for the Mac (thus paid twice), and happily am able to play it on my Quad anyway :D

J@ffa
Jun 1, 2006, 02:50 PM
Hmm. It's great fun, and I'm even able to bump up the graphics to a pretty tasty look on my 1.8GHz iMac G5. However…

There are no vehicles in multiplayer. Nada. Zilch. This is kind of crippling my enjoyment of it, and I feel it's something that really should have been included, even a mod to add it. It's great, action packed and all, but I can't help feel that the original is way more fun when jeeps and tanks were involved - they added that spark that made it special. It's more than a little aggravating… is there any mod, any way to put vehicles back into multiplayer mode? There are vehicle shells sitting all around the levels, presumably for cover, but it's almost as if they're taunting you and daring you to go back to CoD 1, which I may well do.

psycho bob
Jun 2, 2006, 11:32 AM
Well like the above poster I've ordered the game in the UK (just shipped today actually :) ) but also downloaded it as I'm impatient and to be honest didn't expect t see my legit copy to be sent so soon.

Running on a Dual 2.5 with NVIDIA 6800Gt at 1680x1050 the game looks stunning. I can't turn all the settings right up though without suffering low FPS's in large outdoor scenes. I'm awaiting the 1.2 patch that should add SMP support (assuming they do as was done with the windows version). With all these dual core and dual CPU machines coming to market we should get a nice FS boost, or at least fingers crossed we will. I expect this game will run better on Intel, I know the original developers spent a lot of time fine tuning it to get the most out of that brand of CPU. Personally I'm awaiting Intel pro desktop machines which should allow me to add a decent graphics card (or two) and really push this game and future ones along.

I wonder how running the windows version compares tot he mac one?

primalman
Jun 2, 2006, 12:48 PM

Can anyone else confirm this installation and running acceptably on a G4? Specifically a PowerBook [1.67Ghz if possible] I am curious if it is worth the money to buy. I loved CoD and UO, and I would love to be able to play this new one.

voyagerd
Jun 2, 2006, 01:19 PM
Can anyone else confirm this installation and running acceptably on a G4? Specifically a PowerBook [1.67Ghz if possible] I am curious if it is worth the money to buy. I loved CoD and UO, and I would love to be able to play this new one.

Well, I gave it to my friend with a 1.5GHz PowerBook G4, played fine on his too.

!Jack!
Jun 2, 2006, 05:03 PM
I have a 1.33 GHz G4 iBook. The game runs but its pretty slow at times and some of the colors are messed up. I tried, and failed, to return it because the messed up colors make it nearly unplayable, I can stand the slow frame rate. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix the color problem I am open to suggestions.

psycho bob
Jun 5, 2006, 01:53 PM
If like me you bought the game for the multiplayer experience then you'll find you can turn the graphics settings even higher without the same slowdown experienced under the single player game. Should be awesome on the new Intel desktops with SMP patch applied and hopefully some kick ass GPU's.

MacsRgr8
Jun 5, 2006, 01:56 PM
Started playing this weekend, and I love it!

Still running around Stalingrad in super-cold weather, bashing as many Germans as I can :D
Looks really good, and I like the gameplay too!

Peace
Jun 5, 2006, 02:33 PM
I've had it for about 4 days now.Made it all the way thru the russian single player levels.Will be starting the british levels tonite but I have yet to see any vehicles to climb into..That's the only downside to COD2 that I've seen so far.

yellow
Jun 5, 2006, 02:38 PM
I think there's only 3 vehicle missions. 2 tank ones with the Brits, and 1 (maybe 2) brief ones where you try and escape a town, with the Brits.

Kingsly
Jun 5, 2006, 04:01 PM
I just got it and it plays really well on my MBP. All the settings @ max, and not even the slightest bit of slowdown in busy scenes (like the charge at stalingrad). All I can say is: w00t!

The only gripe I have right now is that the levels seem really short. I want them to last a long time to maximize my enjoyment. Oh well, thats what expansion packs are for I guess.

grabberslasher
Jun 5, 2006, 04:27 PM
I just got it and it plays really well on my MBP. All the settings @ max, and not even the slightest bit of slowdown in busy scenes (like the charge at stalingrad). All I can say is: w00t!

Ditto, same here on my baseline iMac Core Duo. It runs shockingly well at max settings and resolution (1440x900), up to 70fps in some places (although down to 30-40 in the Normandy landing missions).

I truly can't wait for the SMP patch if it can increase on those numbers.

saba
Jun 6, 2006, 02:25 AM
I bought this online last week.....they were out of stock.

Kingsly
Jun 6, 2006, 02:39 AM
Ditto, same here on my baseline iMac Core Duo. It runs shockingly well at max settings and resolution (1440x900), up to 70fps in some places (although down to 30-40 in the Normandy landing missions).

What will the SMP do?

grabberslasher
Jun 6, 2006, 06:46 AM
What will the SMP do?

Increase the performance / frame rate, as it will use both processors properly instead of just one.

eXan
Jun 6, 2006, 06:54 AM

Impressive! I wonder how will my iMac run this game/.//:rolleyes:

grabberslasher
Jun 6, 2006, 10:48 AM
Impressive! I wonder how will my iMac run this game/.//:rolleyes:

From what I've heard (friend with same iMac G5) you should be able to play with max settings and no slowdown either :)

JMG
Jun 6, 2006, 11:32 PM
anyone know if the MBP version is as visually good as the directx 9 on windows or will it look like DX7? Does Mac even have DX9?

Leareth
Jun 6, 2006, 11:46 PM
OK I got this game today and put it on my 15" 1.5GHZ 128VRAM PB and the iMac G5 1.6ghz with 64VRAM

on the PB at 800X600 and medium settings, ran perfectly not one glitch, sound was great, graphics good, more than playable it was actually enjoyable...framerate- dont know how to get...
the PB did get bloody hot though had to switch to external keyboard cause to hot to use with hands...

on the iMac ran at native resolution and specs on high, real smooth most of the time, when there were more than 30 characters on screen and the mortar barage it did skip a few times , nothing too bad,
on medium settings it was smooth all the way. :)

So yeah it will work quite enjoyably on a G4 PB, I would not try it on a ibook or mini though...

MacsRgr8
Jun 7, 2006, 05:08 AM
anyone know if the MBP version is as visually good as the directx 9 on windows or will it look like DX7? Does Mac even have DX9?

Unfortunately the Mac doesn't "have" DirectX. We use OpenGL for 3D grfx.
That's one of the major reasons why we don't get all the newest games on the Mac right away. Usually one of the porting houses (Aspyr, Feral), get the license for distributing a game, and then port it from Windows x86 to Mac PPC (and x86 now too), and "translate" the 3D into OpenGL.

I know this explanation is not very precise, but it gives you some idea...

But, the grfx do look DirectX9! I have had this game for my (now dead-) PC, and now got it for on my little Quad. On both machines the settings up max, and IIRC the Mac version and PC version look identical. :)

saba
Jun 8, 2006, 04:39 PM
Just got my copy yesterday & im very impressed. Considering im not a huge gamer.

Knack
Jun 8, 2006, 09:20 PM

We're talking about Call of Duty 2, right? On max (absolute max, rendering set at HIGHEST) I get 10 frames at most (On MBP). With rendering set at auto I get 40-70 fps. When rendering is set on maximum, I also get these terrible glitches where there are motion trails after objects on the screen moves, it's really quite terrible. Maybe they'll patch it sometime, I don't know.

Haoshiro
Jun 8, 2006, 09:48 PM
We're talking about Call of Duty 2, right? On max (absolute max, rendering set at HIGHEST) I get 10 frames at most (On MBP). With rendering set at auto I get 40-70 fps. When rendering is set on maximum, I also get these terrible glitches where there are motion trails after objects on the screen moves, it's really quite terrible. Maybe they'll patch it sometime, I don't know.

Sounds like your video card is getting so tapped out that your screens refresh rate is smearing the frames... basically an LCD/TFT+Low FPS combination that is causing that (ie: not actually the game, but the MBP).

oddfellow151
Jun 8, 2006, 10:05 PM
I bought it, it's awesome.

I am playing it ona PowerBook 15", 1.67ghz, 2gigs ram, 128 video ram. I didnt know it was for Intel macs until after I had installed and played it.

What's up with Aspyr? anyone else enjoying it on a PowerBook with similar specs???

MacsRgr8
Jun 9, 2006, 02:21 AM
Weekend coming up..... * cracking nuckles getting ready to bash some more Germans*

Have you guys also played COD series 1, and the MOH series?

I wonder how you guys rate COD 2 against those.
Ofcourse grfx are much nicer, but gameplay too?

I personally like the way you don't go around searching for health, but just get some cover for a couple of seconds, and then go back into battle. It seems more realistic.
Also the way the games are auto-saved is much better than in the earlier WW II fps. When you're killed, you pretty much start just a few minutes back (max), instead of nearly having to start the whole level over if you forgot to press <F5> all the time.

Yep COD 2 is great so far!

My legit copy game in yesterday!!

Have a nice collection of WW II fps boxes on my desk:
- MOH Warchest
- COD
- COD United Offensive
- COD 2

:cool:

godspeed
Jun 9, 2006, 04:57 AM
I just picked up COD2 yesterday and it plays seamlessly on my 2.16 MBP with 2gb of Ram at full settings. It also plays extremely well (as expected), on my dual G5 with X800XT. I am still yet to test it on a MB 2.0 with 2GB of Ram.

My only issues are:

1) Does anybody know what you type to get FPS so I can give accurate figures

2) How do I change my name from Unknown soldier? My profile has a different name but every time I join a game it lists me as unknown soldier.. grrr

rdowns
Jun 9, 2006, 05:13 AM
I've had it about a week and it runs very nicely on my Rev. A iMac G5. I couldn't care less about FPS. It has only hiccuped twice.

uaaerospace
Jun 9, 2006, 05:59 AM
Have you guys also played COD series 1, and the MOH series?

I wonder how you guys rate COD 2 against those.
Ofcourse grfx are much nicer, but gameplay too?

I have COD I, Battleground 1942, and the entire MOH series. I haven't gotten to play COD II much yet due to all of this blasted work and homework, but my first impressions are good. I like the no health aspect of gameplay. The graphics are nice but at times over stress my dual 2 GHz G5 with x800XT. I was impressed by the enemy soldier behavior in COD I, and version II expands upon that even further. Overall, I think it's the best of the games I have. My only complaint is that sometimes I'm trying to snipe with my rifle, my comrades will run in front of me right as I shoot.

saba
Jun 9, 2006, 07:09 AM
How does one get FPS in COD2???

Soulstorm
Jun 9, 2006, 07:32 AM
Thinking performance-wise, I think that Aspyr is doing a pretty good job, especially lately. I didn't expect Quake 4 and Call Of Duty to run so well, even on my G5.

MacRumorUser
Jun 9, 2006, 07:38 AM
Thinking performance-wise, I think that Aspyr is doing a pretty good job, especially lately. I didn't expect Quake 4 and Call Of Duty to run so well, even on my G5.

WHAT :eek: If Aspyr hadnt got either of those games to work on a 2.5 dual G5 powermac with a top of the line X800XT then they would need taking out to to firing range and shot full of lead :p

Nice to hear COD2 seems to be perfoming well on the new intel macs though.

If only ASPYR can get off their asses and release an update to RCT3 which is performing TERRIBLY on my intel mac's... And maybe get around to converting B&W 2 - would be nice as well. :D

aussie_geek
Jun 9, 2006, 07:48 AM
Got the x800xt the other day. the G5 is averaging a steady 60 fps, 1024x768 screen res dropping down to about 40 fps when there is heaps of smoke out in the field.

I configured some opengl override settings in the ATI utility - see attached pic.

Definitely a great game. Easy to rack up kills compared to UO as the rifles are pretty much 1 shot kills. The no health pickup thing is not that bad, if anything it makes the game more realistic having to duck for cover to rejuvenate.

Going by some other posts in this thread, it may be worthwhile throwing it on my PowerBook so I can play it at work :p

aussie_geek

aussie_geek
Jun 9, 2006, 07:54 AM
How does one get FPS in COD2???

open the console - the tilde key ( ~ ) which is above the tab key.

type cg_drawfps 1 for the frame rate display.

another one I use is the lagometer. ( cg_drawlagometer 1 ) it draws a little graph showing your ping to the server and any packet loss.

If you want to turn them back off just replace the 1's with zeroes

aussie_geek

MacsRgr8
Jun 9, 2006, 07:55 AM
That little ATi control panel is so cool....

I have the GeForce 7800 in my Quad, and it performs really well.
But, I wish nVidia had a gr8 util like ATi has with that control panel.
Using that you can make older games look awesome. Can't do that on the GeForce. :o

aussie_geek
Jun 9, 2006, 08:02 AM

Using that you can make older games look awesome. Can't do that on the GeForce. :o

yep... another reason why ATI rules mate!! :p :p

aussie_geek

Haoshiro
Jun 9, 2006, 08:49 AM

Hmm, back when I was using a PC with a 6600 GT I do recall a utility very much like that.

As I recall you had to go to Display Properties and then choose Properties on the Display Adaptor tab. It has been awhile so that might not be perfect instructions, but it should be close! ;)

MacsRgr8
Jun 9, 2006, 01:30 PM
Hmm, back when I was using a PC with a 6600 GT I do recall a utility very much like that.

As I recall you had to go to Display Properties and then choose Properties on the Display Adaptor tab. It has been awhile so that might not be perfect instructions, but it should be close! ;)

ATi on the PC has something like that too.
But IIRC you set the prefs for all games at once...

With the ATi Mac-util you can set a different 3D pref for every single game!

Yep, aussie_geek, ATi DOES rule. :cool:
(now where is that PCI-E X1900 XT for my Quad??)

dlee59
Jun 9, 2006, 04:15 PM
I just picked up COD2 yesterday and it plays seamlessly on my 2.16 MBP with 2gb of Ram at full settings. It also plays extremely well (as expected), on my dual G5 with X800XT. I am still yet to test it on a MB 2.0 with 2GB of Ram.

My only issues are:

1) Does anybody know what you type to get FPS so I can give accurate figures

2) How do I change my name from Unknown soldier? My profile has a different name but every time I join a game it lists me as unknown soldier.. grrr

Godspeed, in console (~) key, type, /cg_drawfps 1 or 0 to turn fps off. Then enter then ~ again to get out of console.

To change your name, go to Multiplayer options, select Unknown player, arrow over to then end of the name and back space back to erase it and put your game name in.

I've been over on the dark side now since MOH came out for the PC. I am an admin at Redsbox (Redsbox.net). I'm Pvt Boot, we have 2 MOH servers, 6 COD servers, 2 UO and 4 COD2 and 1 of those COD2 servers is still running v1.0 that y'all should be able to join. It has the Extreme mod running on it and I am not a big fan of that mod but I haven't upgraded to v1.2 yet cuz we need an admin to watch this mother. It's full most of the day. Everyone is invited. It is a family server, (8 and 10 yr olds play sometimes), so no profanity or name calling plz. I really don't enjoy tossin guys, takes away from the play. Plz come and have a good time. I've been waiting a long time to invite Mac guys to our servers!!!

Also, in console, to connect to a server. Type, connect 8.9.3.56 enter for our Extreme Cod2 server or you can find it under Redsbox when looking for servers

airkarol
Jun 9, 2006, 08:20 PM
I'm probably going to pick it up tomorrow. I'll be running on a MBP (see signiture.)

godspeed
Jun 10, 2006, 11:27 AM
Godspeed, in console (~) key, type, /cg_drawfps 1 or 0 to turn fps off. Then enter then ~ again to get out of console.

To change your name, go to Multiplayer options, select Unknown player, arrow over to then end of the name and back space back to erase it and put your game name in.

I've been over on the dark side now since MOH came out for the PC. I am an admin at Redsbox (Redsbox.net). I'm Pvt Boot, we have 2 MOH servers, 6 COD servers, 2 UO and 4 COD2 and 1 of those COD2 servers is still running v1.0 that y'all should be able to join. It has the Extreme mod running on it and I am not a big fan of that mod but I haven't upgraded to v1.2 yet cuz we need an admin to watch this mother. It's full most of the day. Everyone is invited. It is a family server, (8 and 10 yr olds play sometimes), so no profanity or name calling plz. I really don't enjoy tossin guys, takes away from the play. Plz come and have a good time. I've been waiting a long time to invite Mac guys to our servers!!!

Also, in console, to connect to a server. Type, connect 8.9.3.56 enter for our Extreme Cod2 server or you can find it under Redsbox when looking for servers

Cheers for the help..... I will check out your server. Also for anyone interested, COD 2 is playable on a macbook 2.0 with 2gb ram at 800x600 with all settings to default.

Knack
Jun 10, 2006, 09:28 PM
Okay, I'm a bit worried now. Everyone is saying they are getting super-high frame rates (40-70) at max settings. However, when I turn on Rendering Method on Highest my frame rates drop to 8-15 at most. Any help?

Mord
Jun 11, 2006, 04:35 AM
Cheers for the help..... I will check out your server. Also for anyone interested, COD 2 is playable on a macbook 2.0 with 2gb ram at 800x600 with all settings to default.

awesome, i'll try it when i get my ram

boba600
Jun 11, 2006, 04:36 PM
Hi
A couple of friends and i are in a local area network but 2 others are outside this and can not connect.In other games they could join by entering in a IP address and then connect.Does anyone know how they could join in using IP address.
thanks boba.

AMKassirMD
Jun 12, 2006, 06:54 PM
is anyone else noticing that graphics option preferences for Dynamic Lighting and for Shadows are unavailable?

My system:
PowerMac G5 Quad (2.5GHz G5 x 4)
NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT (256 MB VRAM)
3 GB RAM

I turned all available settings up to maximum and had serious lag when the game got busy. Disappointing since I have the fastest desktop Mac currently available, and a good GPU/graphics card. Haven't experimented yet with alternate settings. When the game wasn't busy, though, it was beautiful.

grabberslasher
Jun 12, 2006, 07:34 PM
is anyone else noticing that graphics option preferences for Dynamic Lighting and for Shadows are unavailable?

Yeah I noticed the lack of shadows, I was very disappointed. I only noticed when I installed CoD2 on my Vista PC.

primalman
Jun 12, 2006, 09:36 PM
OK, had CoD2 for a week, played a bit in single and a bunch in multi.

On a PBG4 1.67/17" 1680x1050/1.5GB RAM/9700 128MB.

First plays were a bit disappointing, but playable. Multi was a drag. Settings were Auto/Default and it set at 800x600. Lots of Frame drop in action. Dull. Messed around with a few other resolutions, but not much change.

Then I decided hey why not try it at 1680x1050 for fun?! OK, I did, and it got waaaaaaaaaaaay better!!!!!! :eek: :) [FYI 1680x1050 and all rest setting to auto]

Figure that one out. Less drop in action, better looking, higher scores!

Conclusions are try to push the GPU to find the sweet spot.

voyagerd
Jun 12, 2006, 10:57 PM

I see those options when I have the high quality renderer selected.

Kingsly
Jun 13, 2006, 02:11 AM
Okay, I'm a bit worried now. Everyone is saying they are getting super-high frame rates (40-70) at max settings. However, when I turn on Rendering Method on Highest my frame rates drop to 8-15 at most. Any help?
What computer are you running? I have all the settings maxed out and even in busy areas (like the normandy landing) its buttery smooth.

Andreyevich
Jun 13, 2006, 03:34 AM
I thought that CoD2 was excellent. I've tried it on both a PC and a Mac, and liked it on both (it was better on the Mac, obviously :p). I enjoyed it better than the first one - graphics were alot better, and gameplay was improved quite a lot.

It would have been better if they had made more levels, allowing you to play as the Axis nations. For those of you that do not have CoD2, buy it today!

Soulstorm
Jun 13, 2006, 01:29 PM
WHAT :eek: If Aspyr hadnt got either of those games to work on a 2.5 dual G5 powermac with a top of the line X800XT then they would need taking out to to firing range and shot full of lead :p
Actually, Call Of Duty 2 runs better on my G5 than United offensive. And recently, I noticed one thing:

Aspyr's latest ports (from Doom 3 and later) have NO bugs at all. I mean, their builds are the most stable builds I have ever seen on a port. Especially Quake 4 is a gem, and it has great support for multiple processors.

psycho bob
Jun 13, 2006, 02:01 PM
COD 2 like all recent Aspyr ports is indeed fantastic. The only question I would raise about them is the speed in which they are abale to bring official patches out. Can't wait for 1.1 :)

The multiplayer experience is so so smooth with nearly everything maxed out. The same setting under the single player game cause issues expecially under the Normandy landing section.

There are significant OpenGL vs Direct X issues here. My old PC which is vastly inferior to my dual 2.5 6800 eqipped mac can run the single player game almost as well at least during the less intense sections. Infinity Ward spend a lot of time working with Intel so it should run great on the new machines. I'm waiting for an Intel Powermac replacement with a top graphics card. Graphics cards are one of the areas macs to genuinely suffer from, I hope Apple step up now and secure top of the line cards consistently.

One interesting point may be what happens if AMD do indeed buy ATI. The mac market will become even less relelvant, lets hope AMD don't hold a grudge for being spurned by Apple. Unliekely I know but Apple/Intel tie up has been a boon and big media wise.

Knack
Jun 13, 2006, 11:25 PM
What computer are you running? I have all the settings maxed out and even in busy areas (like the normandy landing) its buttery smooth.

I'm on a MBP. (2ghz, 2 gigs of ram, 256 card blah blah). Yeah, when my rendering method is on highest it runs terribly.

macgeek2005
Jun 13, 2006, 11:29 PM
I won't be able to play the game at all until I get a new machine.... (see sig).

How would it play if I got the 9800 Pro for my G4? It would probably still be atrocious right?

macgeek2005
Jun 13, 2006, 11:31 PM

My system:
PowerMac G5 Quad (2.5GHz G5 x 4)
NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT (256 MB VRAM)
3 GB RAM

I turned all available settings up to maximum and had serious lag when the game got busy. Disappointing since I have the fastest desktop Mac currently available, and a good GPU/graphics card. Haven't experimented yet with alternate settings. When the game wasn't busy, though, it was beautiful.

OKAY, That should not have lagged AT ALL on that machine!!!

Peace
Jun 13, 2006, 11:32 PM
COD 2 like all recent Aspyr ports is indeed fantastic. The only question I would raise about them is the speed in which they are abale to bring official patches out. Can't wait for 1.1 :)

The multiplayer experience is so so smooth with nearly everything maxed out. The same setting under the single player game cause issues expecially under the Normandy landing section.

There are significant OpenGL vs Direct X issues here. My old PC which is vastly inferior to my dual 2.5 6800 eqipped mac can run the single player game almost as well at least during the less intense sections. Infinity Ward spend a lot of time working with Intel so it should run great on the new machines. I'm waiting for an Intel Powermac replacement with a top graphics card. Graphics cards are one of the areas macs to genuinely suffer from, I hope Apple step up now and secure top of the line cards consistently.

One interesting point may be what happens if AMD do indeed buy ATI. The mac market will become even less relelvant, lets hope AMD don't hold a grudge for being spurned by Apple. Unliekely I know but Apple/Intel tie up has been a boon and big media wise.

Odds are AMD won't buy ATI

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32234

runrun
Jun 15, 2006, 11:53 PM
I have a 15" Macbook Pro with 256 video card and the game runs great. Only thing, I can't get past the binoculars artiliery level. I can't seem to target the tanks.

eXan
Jun 16, 2006, 02:41 AM
Odds are AMD won't buy ATI

It'd be better if Apple bought ATi, dont you think? ("imagine the possibilities" :D)

Mord
Jun 16, 2006, 05:17 AM
I have a 15" Macbook Pro with 256 video card and the game runs great. Only thing, I can't get past the binoculars artiliery level. I can't seem to target the tanks.

you have to overshoot the tanks so they fire where the tank will be, only by a bit but it has to be done, unless the tanks have stopped.

system16
Jun 16, 2006, 09:27 AM
hi Leareth i read your post on your 1.6 imac g5 and was wondering. when you say it ran real smooth on high settings does that include the high quality rendering option? i tried that option on mine and it lags awfully. w00t for future performance patch.

oddfellow151
Jun 16, 2006, 04:53 PM
Hi Everyone-

Seriously, has anyone else with a G4 got Call of Duty 2 to work beautifully?

I'm playing it on a G4, 1,67ghz, 2 megs of RAM, 128 vRam and its smooth and fun at 1280x854, medium settings.

Peace
Jun 16, 2006, 05:19 PM
Well I finished COD2 late last night..Went through all the levels.Took me about a week but I did it.I must say it runs supurb on my 20" Intel iMac w/256 VRAM.And in all honesty I'd say it ran better graphics wise than COD 1 did on my dual 2.3 G5..

4 stars!!

grabberslasher
Jun 16, 2006, 07:01 PM
CoD2 seems to have the same problems as the original PC version with High rendering (DX9) turned on.

You can get noticeable performance increases if, at the start of EVERY LEVEL, you go into the console and type the following (hitting enter after each line):

r_gpusync 0

r_picmip 2

r_applypicmip

r_picmip 0

r_applypicmip

Mammoth
Jun 17, 2006, 12:25 AM
What's the multiplayer like? Are there heaps of PC h4x0r's with wallhacks and aimbots? Is it as bad as COD 1 and United offensive??

aussie_geek
I don't think I've ever played on a server that didn't have a hacker.. :mad:

Swoop
Jun 18, 2006, 12:53 PM
So I was wondering if I could get more feedback from anyone that has a G4 PB and has played the MP of COD2? I really want to get this game but don't want to waste 50 bucks if it will not perform well on my G4 PB....512/1.6/
Now i know this next question a noobish, but how can I tell which video card i have? 2004 G4 PB 512 Mb 1.67 Ghz

psycho bob
Jun 18, 2006, 01:40 PM
So I was wondering if I could get more feedback from anyone that has a G4 PB and has played the MP of COD2? I really want to get this game but don't want to waste 50 bucks if it will not perform well on my G4 PB....512/1.6/
Now i know this next question a noobish, but how can I tell which video card i have? 2004 G4 PB 512 Mb 1.67 Ghz

All 1.67GHz Powerbooks have a Radeon 9700 Mobility GPU. If it is a 17in it will be a 128mb if it is 15in it will be either 64 or 128mb depending upon what you paid for.

I haven't installed it on my Powerbook yet but my experience on a G5 tells me the MP plays much better then the SP. So as many have reported good performance on what I assume is the single player game then I expect the MP will run fine even though it may get the machine a little hot ;)

If I ever install it I'll let you know hopefully we'll get more feedback form some of the others.

Swoop
Jun 19, 2006, 12:57 AM
Thanx bro...

eXan
Jun 19, 2006, 03:52 AM

Umm... 2004? I thought 1.67 Ghz PowerBooks appeared in 2005 :confused:

Patch^
Jun 24, 2006, 04:30 AM
Hi guys :P, I'm thinking of purchasing this game due to the great reviews i'm getting from this thread and it seems to be a good port to the Mac. I was wondering if anyone new how it performed on the ATi 9650 256MB, my other specs are PowerMac G5 2.3GHz with 2GB of RAM.

Cheers.

eXan
Jun 24, 2006, 06:53 AM
Hi guys :P, I'm thinking of purchasing this game due to the great reviews i'm getting from this thread and it seems to be a good port to the Mac. I was wondering if anyone new how it performed on the ATi 9650 256MB, my other specs are PowerMac G5 2.3GHz with 2GB of RAM.

Cheers.

9650 is basically 9600 (non-XT) with double VRAM. Performance whould be a little bit better (or the same, cuz iMac has better GPU, but worse CPU, however PM has more L2 cache) than on rev. C iMac due to extra 300 MHz of CPU power and even better when SMP patch will be out

Soulstorm
Jun 24, 2006, 08:43 AM
9650 is basically 9600 (non-XT) with double VRAM. Performance whould be a little bit better (or the same, cuz iMac has better GPU, but worse CPU, however PM has more L2 cache) than on rev. C iMac due to extra 300 MHz of CPU power and even better when SMP patch will be out
9650 is a little faster than 9600 and a little slower than 9600XT.

The reason that is is a little faster and not much is that no matter how much VRAM it has, it's still 9600 chipset and not 9600XT.

eXan
Jun 24, 2006, 07:40 PM
9650 is a little faster than 9600 and a little slower than 9600XT.

The reason that is is a little faster and not much is that no matter how much VRAM it has, it's still 9600 chipset and not 9600XT.

9650 is 9600 with double VRAM. Clock speed are exactly the same, so performance is the same, unless a game uses more than 128 MB VRAM

overdose
Jun 24, 2006, 10:22 PM
9650 is 9600 with double VRAM. Clock speed are exactly the same, so performance is the same, unless a game uses more than 128 MB VRAM

Actually, the 9650 uses the rv351 GPU whereas the 9600 uses the rv350. The rv351 is basically just a revision on a smaller process, so less heat and power consumption. The 9650 has a core clock of 400MHz, the same as the 9600XT, but has slower memory (270MHz double pumped, against 310MHz double pumped). The 9650 is pretty much on par with the 9600 Pro, but better than the 9600 and 9600 mobility.

eXan
Jun 25, 2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks for clearing it up! :)

Patch^
Jun 25, 2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks for your responses guys :). I've just ordered Call of Duty 2, so I'll let you all know how it performs :).

Thanks again.

nbame786
Jun 30, 2006, 07:29 PM
does anyone know if you can play with any pc servers at all?

psycho bob
Jun 30, 2006, 07:53 PM
does anyone know if you can play with any pc servers at all?

Short answer is yes but there is currently a version difference between mac and PC. Once Aspyr release the 1.1 (Think that is the latest) patch then mac gamers will be able to play on all PC servers.

nbame786
Jun 30, 2006, 09:26 PM
i can't find a server to play with my friend in for the life of me... ahh

Swoop
Jul 7, 2006, 02:41 AM
a little off subject but does anyone know how to tell if my mac isn't working right? When I get on my reg. server, it seems laggy. Wasn't like that before. I can not figure out what the problem is....any help would be appreciated. thnx

Mord
Jul 7, 2006, 03:47 AM
err i may be wrong but it could possibly maybe, lag? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Patch^
Jul 11, 2006, 05:59 AM
I forgot about this thread :eek: .

Well I thought I'd tell you how COD2 performed on the ATi 9650. It performs fairly well I over clocked it by 15% and it runs even better. I have the settings on a combination of high and nomal, with anti-aliasing/anti-stropic or something!! lol I'm not sure lol.

The game runs even better online, PM me if you ever want to have a match ;) lol.

Thought this might be helpful with people in my situation :).