PDA

View Full Version : EyeTV 250- gaming issues

Oblivious
May 28, 2006, 11:22 AM
I just bought the EyeTV 250 yesterday for gaming purposes and recording TV episodes (an investment I should have made before the season finales of Lost and The Office :p), but the issue lies when hooking up my GameCube. I set the EyeTV software to Gaming Mode, and it usually reduces most of the delay, but there is still noticeable latency.

So, my question is; is this an issue with the speed of my computer? Because also whenever I try to record any gaming just for fun the delay turns into a second or more, which is simply unplayable.
And is there any way to hook up the GameCube via S-Video, or would that not have any effect?

Meh, zero latency my ass. :rolleyes:

jsw
May 28, 2006, 11:28 AM
First of all, thanks for the heads-up on the latency... I think I'll go with the TVMAx (http://www.miglia.com/products/video/tvmax/index.html) instead of the 250 for my mini, given that there's no clear reason to buy the 250 now and I prefer the Max's form factor.

That said, since the 250 supposedly does all the compression via hardware, and the gaming mode disables that and feeds it right to your system, it's not impossible that the lag is all due to your Mac rendering it. Still, seems like a wee bit of false advertising....

Edit: just curious: you're not using some hub that slows the USB down to 1.1 speeds, are you?

MacRumorUser
May 28, 2006, 11:30 AM
I've tried a few of the Elgato products and have only ever found lag. While some may be able to play with it, i found it useles..

jsw
May 28, 2006, 11:36 AM
I've tried a few of the Elgato products and have only ever found lag. While some may be able to play with it, i found it useles..
FWIW, I think this is the first Elgato product which isn't supposed to have it... but apparently it does as well.

Oblivious
May 28, 2006, 11:43 AM
just curious: you're not using some hub that slows the USB down to 1.1 speeds, are you?
Naw, it's plugged right into the mini's 2.0 port.

So, assuming this isn't a hardware issue (which it may very well be), would hooking up the GameCube with S-Video or component cables make any difference?

The 250 is actually advertised as having zero-latency gaming, so it should be running smoothly.
Now, while most of the delay is gone, there is still some. Easily playable, but a bit annoying.

jsw
May 28, 2006, 11:47 AM
So, assuming this isn't a hardware issue (which it may very well be), would hooking up the GameCube with S-Video or component cables make any difference?
I suppose it's conceivable, but it's unlikely. FWIW, I don't think there's a component video option, but S-video might help... if there's some sort of composite->higher quality conversion going on that S-video would make "easier".

cyberdogl2
May 30, 2006, 09:51 PM
i dont wanna hijack this thread, but WHERE did you get the elgato 250? last time i checked it was gonna be awhile till it shipped. am i just behind the times? i really want one for my imac

Oblivious
May 30, 2006, 10:35 PM
i dont wanna hijack this thread, but WHERE did you get the elgato 250? last time i checked it was gonna be awhile till it shipped. am i just behind the times? i really want one for my imac
I just went down to the nearest Apple Store and there was one sitting on shelf. I did, however, notice that a lot of online stores seemed to have very delayed shipping times, so I may have just been lucky.

Eidorian
May 30, 2006, 11:11 PM
I was only able to try out the EyeTV EZ from my Apple store. Even in "zero-lag" mode I noticed a sluggish response of at least 200 ms from my controller. :rolleyes:

Try playing Mega Man X games that way. Ugh...

bobznc
Jun 12, 2006, 06:15 PM
the 250 supposedly does all the compression via hardware

Is this true? I've been looking into getting an EyeTV product and have been very confused why there is a $50 difference in products who appear to have the same features.

This would be very important seeing as I have a 1GHZ 12" Powerbook that has a whimpy 32 Mb video card, and I plan on gaming. Thanks a lot!

Oblivious
Jun 12, 2006, 08:20 PM
Is this true? I've been looking into getting an EyeTV product and have been very confused why there is a $50 difference in products who appear to have the same features.

This would be very important seeing as I have a 1GHZ 12" Powerbook that has a whimpy 32 Mb video card, and I plan on gaming. Thanks a lot!
The video compression works fantastically, I'm running it with the mini in my sig and it does just fine. I've recorded several shows like Lost and The Daily Show while running several other programs simultaneously and it works fine. The only issue comes when gaming. Even though it's advertised as having zero latency gaming, there is still some delay; enough so that it is annoying.

pjarvi
Jun 14, 2006, 12:54 PM
I have the EyeTV EZ, but only use the audio in on it (other than watching tv, of course). I have a Mini G4 that doesn't have any audio in ports, so I use the EZ for that. I have component video inputs built-in to my monitor that I hook my consoles up to. I've never noticed any lag in the synchronization of the audio and video, but I've not tried using the EZ for both audio & video to test for controller lag.

I have tried 2 different tv tuner cards in my Windows PC (Ati TV Wonder, and ADS HDTV PCI), both of which have terrible controller lag.