PDA

View Full Version : 5G iPod in 3G dock?

DTphonehome
May 28, 2006, 12:26 PM
Hey All,

Hope you're having a great Memorial Day weekend. My 3G iPod has finally bit the dust, and I'm going to pick up a new 5G pretty soon, maybe after they update them. Back in 2003, I bought the iPod that came with a dock. Will I be able to use a 5G iPod in a 3G dock? Obviously, the're no IR and video out, but just for standing it up on my desk and charging it, would it work? I suppose I'll need an adaptor so it'll fit (the 5G is MUCH thinner than the 3G), so where would I get such an adaptor if it exists? Along the same lines, is there an adaptor that would allow me to use a nano (if I were to go that route) in the 3G dock?

I know these iPods would physically fit in the old dock, but I would like to have them snugly ensconced so as not to damage the dock connector on the floor of the dock.

Thanks much!

--DT

lexus
May 28, 2006, 12:40 PM
I think so but dont quote me.

DTphonehome
May 28, 2006, 12:46 PM

At your request, I did not quote you :)

I did some research, and while there are adaptors for nearly any iPod for use in a Universal Dock (the current dock model, with IR and video out), there doesn't seem to be an adaptor to use any iPod in the 3G dock. Now the question is, what is the difference in depth of the holes in the 2 docks? Since all the new iPods come with an adaptor so they fit in the Universal Dock, I guess I'll just wait to see if the adaptor fits in my 3G dock. If anyone has any experience in this matter, your input would be appreciated.

devilot
May 28, 2006, 12:46 PM
I have a 3G dock and a Nano. You're right in that it will charge w/out a problem (although if you wanted to transfer data to one of these newer iPods, you'll need USB for sure, and NOT Firewire).

As for the 'pods fitting w/out extra room and pre-made inserts? I've only seen inserts for Apple's Universal iPod dock or aftermarket docks/ sound systems.

DTphonehome
May 28, 2006, 12:50 PM
I have a 3G dock and a Nano. You're right in that it will charge w/out a problem (although if you wanted to transfer data to one of these newer iPods, you'll need USB for sure, and NOT Firewire).

As for the 'pods fitting w/out extra room and pre-made inserts? I've only seen inserts for Apple's Universal iPod dock or aftermarket docks/ sound systems.

Thanks for the info. Have you tried using the Universal Dock Adaptor that came with your nano in the 3G dock? How did it fit?

devilot
May 28, 2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the info. Have you tried using the Universal Dock Adaptor that came with your nano in the 3G dock? How did it fit?There is no way the insert will fit in an older dock. No way. Either cough up for a Universal dock, or do as a lot of other users do-- and just deal w/ the fact that there is extra space when using one of these new sleeker iPods in our older docks.

wwooden
May 28, 2006, 02:48 PM
the dock connector on the bottom of the iPod is pretty strong, strong enough to hold up the iPod on its own. All that matters is that the space around the dock connector on the dock is big enough for you to fit the new iPod into. If it does not perfectly fit in the dock and has space around it, it is ok and won't hurt the iPod, just don't knock it around or hit it.

interpolic
Sep 15, 2006, 02:50 AM
Hey, i'm thinking of finally replacing my 3rd Gen iPod with a new 80Gb 5th Gen.

Does anyone with a 60Gb 5g know if they fit in the old 3rd Gen docks?

Thanks

millar876
Sep 15, 2006, 04:28 AM
they do fit in them with plenty of space, perhaps too much space cos it can feel very unstable/wobbly. also bare in mind that you wont be able to use the firewire cable for the 3G to sync the new ipod only USB2

interpolic
Sep 15, 2006, 04:52 AM
Thanks heaps millar876, thats exactly what I wanted to know

Eraserhead
Sep 15, 2006, 05:37 AM
they do fit in them with plenty of space, perhaps too much space cos it can feel very unstable/wobbly. also bare in mind that you wont be able to use the firewire cable for the 3G to sync the new ipod only USB2

They fit petty well, when I have taken my iPod out of its case and put it in a 3G dock it has worked fine.

Mord
Sep 15, 2006, 05:50 AM
It's not a good idea, it puts allot of pressure on the port, if you must do it put a few layers of sticker so it can rest without putting pressure on the plug.