Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Have a quick question. I finally convinced Applecare that my HD was bad, and am taking it in tomorrow to get my bad Maxtor replaced (iMac FP 15"). That high-pitched whine is a bad HD. Shame on Apple for not "officially" admitting this.

I have a 10BG ipod with like 600 songs on it. I know there is a program that will transfer from the ipod to the mac, but does it preserve playlists, etc? I have spent a lot of time making my playlists (smart ones, etc) and really don't want to lose them.

If I just use the iPod--->mac program (forgot the name of it) will my playlists remain? Or should I burn everything on a DVD-R...and then, will the playlists remain?

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to a silent iMac, like it should be!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If you know you're taking your Mac in for a disk replacement, you should be backing up your files from the disk anyway. The price of a DVD-R is cheap compared to all the hassle of having to recover everything from various places.

Even if they save your data when they replace the disk, you're better off having your own backup as well. What if they miss something? Also if the drive is bad, it could get worse and they might not be able to get much off of it.

Backups are your friend. I use a mix of CD-R's and DVD-R's depending on what I am backing up.

As a last note, making somewhat regular backups will help you recover in case you ever have a disk failure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.