Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
A few times each year the sunset aligns with the east/west streets in Manhattan making for some good photo opportunities. Although I got there late, couldn't get a good spot and wasn't really thrilled with any of the shots I got, it was still fun. Hopefully I can make it back in the next few days if it is clear. Anyone else experience this, or even heard of it?

Attachments

• 42nd.jpg
    42nd.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 206

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I think that's a pretty awesome picture, actually. I like how you can see the little orange disc of the sun partially obscured on the horizon. Very nice.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Poeben said:
A few times each year the sunset aligns with the east/west streets in Manhattan making for some good photo opportunities. Although I got there late, couldn't get a good spot and wasn't really thrilled with any of the shots I got, it was still fun. Hopefully I can make it back in the next few days if it is clear. Anyone else experience this, or even heard of it?
I think for what you have you did well. I would question how a fill flash would work as well. It may give you interesting results. Nonetheless, this is a great first attempt and I've never heard of this alignment. I wonder if there is some sort of early detection so that travelers (like me) could time their trips accordingly. It seems like a shot that is probably overdone, but for a Californian like myself it'd be worth the cliche. :)
I like it lots, what camera, res, etc.

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
Thanks for the compliments. Here's another one; I think I like this better. I also heard this will happen again around July 18, as the sun makes it way back toward the south.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 20D
Shooting Mode: Manual Exposure
Tv(Shutter Speed): 1/100
Av(Aperture Value): 4.0
ISO Speed: 100
Lens: 24.0 - 105.0mm
Focal Length: 105.0mm
Image Size: 3504x2336
Image Quality: RAW

Attachments

• 2nd.jpg
    2nd.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 149

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
City awaits 'Manhattanhenge'

By Justin Rocket Silverman
amNewYork Staff Writer

May 26, 2006

About 5,000 years ago, an ancient people on the British Islands built Stonehenge to directly catch the rays of the summer-solstice sun.

About 200 years ago, the Commissioners' Plan of 1811 laid out a grid of 155 parallel streets on the island of Manhattan, and created a Stonehenge-like array that would directly catch the sun's rays on May 28 and July 12.

Thus was born "Manhattanhenge," a happy coincidence of urban planning and astrophysics that occurs when the setting sun lines up exactly with every parallel street north of 14th Street.

"People never stop to think that this will happen, but it's happening this Sunday, so take the opportunity to appreciate it," said Neil deGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist at the American Museum of Natural History. "New Yorkers need to take advantage of as many opportunities to look at the sky as they can get."

If the streets of Manhattan were lined up in true east-west lines, as Stonehenge is, the sun would set directly along them on June 21. But what New Yorkers commonly call "east" and "west," are actually about 30 degrees off. Thus Manhattanhenge falls this Sunday, which is forecast to be sunny, and again in July.

"It was a disturbing day when I learned everything we call 'north' in New York is actually northeast," said Tyson. "But what we are left with is an inadvertent homage to the sky."

The astrophysicist also pointed out some people wishing to appreciate Manhattanhenge mistakenly stand on 12th Avenue and end up watching the sun set over New Jersey. The real spectacle, of course, is reserved for those who stand on First Avenue and gaze west as the sun sets neatly between the buildings.

Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
That's very cool, nice pics. The inclusion of the traffic in the second photo makes it more interesting and I love those kind of blurred-lights pictures, but the Chrysler building in the first photo really pinpoints the location.

Oh I must renew my passport and plan a trip to NYC again soon... :)

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Interesting - Makes sense that would happen at certain times, though I had never heard or thought about this before. Might have to take a trip into the city for July 12th...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
m-dogg said:
Interesting - Makes sense that would happen at certain times, though I had never heard or thought about this before. Might have to take a trip into the city for July 12th...

My shot was from the Millennium Hilton, across the street from the WTC.I regret to this day that I never took the time - being so close - not to go up to the top of the WTC.

I guess that is why I have been trying to live each day as my last. Being sure to see and do things that I have always seen or heard of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.