PDA

View Full Version : Wold Of Warcraft

Rickay726
May 29, 2006, 11:27 AM
what is it about this game that so many people love and are addicted to, i have friends that play this game for days at a time and dont like to come out and hang out anymore because they have to reach that damn levl 60. is the game really that good? or addictive? who thinks i should buy one to see it, but then agian im afraid that ill get hooked to it to!

sb58
May 29, 2006, 11:42 AM
I was thinking about that too... i kinda wanna get it now:p

vouder17
May 29, 2006, 11:45 AM
I was in the same situation as you, thought it was really strange that ppl could be soo in love with this game. So i tried it out, and i must admit that once everything starts rolling it is very hard to stop. I have stopped now cos i need to settle down and do some studyin' but i am pretty sure that when i am done with that i will be back.
I am lvl 58...grrr so close yet so far.
Look if u want to try it, i say go for it, but be warned it is very addictive and it will take up LOTS of your time.

Vlade
May 29, 2006, 11:58 AM
If you have lots of free time and are prepared to be addicted, then wow is the PERFECT game. If you don't have lots of free time or don't want to be addicted, don't start. I know because I played TONS last summer and had to slow down when I started college.

Unorthodox
May 29, 2006, 12:13 PM
It's a little to demanding me thinks.

These are the things you have to give up:
$40 to buy the game
$15 a month (thats $180 a year)
social life
life
Job
Time

Im waiting for Leopard and Boot Camp and get Guild Wars. (It's Windows only)
Guild Wars is really similar to WoW.
It's more geared towards casual gamers.
Plus it has no monthly fees.

mikeyPotg
May 29, 2006, 12:15 PM
wow is seriously addicting. listen to everyone and stay away unless you are prepared to spend countless hours/days on it, or unless you have some super will power.

I was able to quit for 3 months or so recently, which I am very proud about, but I recently started playing again. This time around, though, I dont expect to be as addicted.

spoken like a true WoW anonymous addict.

Rickay726
May 31, 2006, 04:51 PM
ahahha thanks guys. i just sold my paintball gun cuase i grew out of that crap so im going to buy wow with the money and embark on this journey,

PS, No game is as addictive as Ragnarok iro.
the game is sick its for windows only so i cnt play it anymore. any wya i have never wasted more life on that, maybe a little bit in socom 2 but no like i did on ragnarok.

vouder17
May 31, 2006, 06:08 PM
ahahha thanks guys. i just sold my paintball gun cuase i grew out of that crap so im going to buy wow with the money and embark on this journey,

the game is sick its for windows only so i cnt play it anymore. any wya i have never wasted more life on that, maybe a little bit in socom 2 but no like i did on ragnarok.

/cheer

hehe, ok well goodluck and before u make a character do some reading and i REALLY recommend u first make a bunch of lower lvl dudes and try em out to see which you like the most. But when in doubt just go for hunter..cos they are the best :p
/sigh i miss the game...must study

Unorthodox
May 31, 2006, 06:49 PM
sigh i miss the game...must study
Ahh! Your slipping!
OK, take a deep breath.
*inhales*

*exhales*

Just remember the five Wow's
Wow, that game is screwing up my life.
Wow, that game cost so much.
Wow, I haven't showered since I bought that game.
Wow, I can't believe my boss fired me.
Wow, I can't think of anything else.

Spanky Deluxe
May 31, 2006, 07:39 PM

You won't regret it fun wise, its a great game and I love it. If you're in the UK join the Bloodhoof server. If you're an alliance player I might see you around there, I'm a hunter night elf on there. :)

iHeartTheApple
Jun 1, 2006, 02:27 AM
Ahh! Your slipping!
OK, take a deep breath.
*inhales*

*exhales*

OMG, you read my mind! :eek: :D I started playing the day the game came out and played straight through the first 10 months of it. Then I quite so I could actually get some work done at school and now...somehow, my friends have convinced me to come back after 9 months of being clean. :rolleyes: But it's just for the summer holiday...yeah that's it. It's just for the summer...:confused: :(

No, but seriously...It's a really fun game, but as the others said: It's *really* addictive. You have to be strong to play the game. Both my wife and I play, but we only spend a few hours per week on the game. Just keep things in perspective and you won't succumb to WoW. :)

commonpeople
Jun 1, 2006, 03:02 AM
Wait a minute...

So you asked about WOW, and everyone told you how addictive the game is and how it has ruined their social lives...

And you think that's great- so you're going to buy the game?

Maybe you should do something with your life instead- so that you can look back in 10 or 20 years and be proud of the hard work you put into getting somewhere.

By the way- why does everyone say 'addicting' as opposed to 'addictive' these days? I'm not sure that 'addicting' is even a real word.

Nermal
Jun 1, 2006, 03:10 AM
By the way- why does everyone say 'addicting' as opposed to 'addictive' these days? I'm not sure that 'addicting' is even a real word.

You're quite right, it's not. However I suspect that we'll hear more of it :(

James Craner
Jun 1, 2006, 03:25 AM
You won't regret it fun wise, its a great game and I love it. If you're in the UK join the Bloodhoof server. If you're an alliance player I might see you around there, I'm a hunter night elf on there. :)

Hey I am in the UK and play on Bloodhoof as well - Kirin Lv60 druid is my main :) In guild called the hidden circle

vouder17
Jun 1, 2006, 03:58 AM
Ahh! Your slipping!
OK, take a deep breath.
*inhales*

*exhales*

:D

Yes must be strong!
Oh and if u in EU look out for $h!tty servers *cough* Al'Akir *cough*
I would recommend you go to one of the new ones with new hardware, Kazzak for example.
GL and have fun :)

fatties
Jun 1, 2006, 08:14 AM
i do't really understand this online gaming madness. so if i like playing wc3 but hate people does that mean i won't like wow?

gamer2k
Jun 2, 2006, 04:14 PM
WoW took my life for about 6 or 7 months last year. It's really quite an immersive game, and if you have real-life friends that play with you, it's a lot of fun. Of course, having to pay nearly as much for the game as I do for my internet connection every month, I quickly grew tired of wasting time and money.

Recently however, they've added so many new things with the patches and whatnot that I'm actually considering starting up again.

Argh that game.

sb58
Jun 2, 2006, 04:18 PM
I'm now 100% certain that i'm going to get it when schools out:D

RamenBooko
Jun 3, 2006, 12:26 AM
If anyone has access to the Game CD's...I have a 10 day guest pass I have no intention of using.

NATO
Jun 3, 2006, 06:03 PM
I admit WoW is amazingly addictive, although I found myself playing it less as I levelled because I didn't have the time to play for extended periods to organise groups for various quests, I preferred soloing in the earlier levels.

Saying that, I know a friend who hit level 60 before I'd hit 35, and he still plays it constantly, so you can definitely get your 8.99's worth every month!

Rickay726
Jun 4, 2006, 11:21 PM
alright so i sold my paintball gun and went out and bought WoW, im alrede lv 12 in 2 days. this game is so addictive and i love MMORPG'S so this game is alot of fun, but im not addicted to the point where i would ditch hanging out with my friends to play the game.

commonpeople
Jun 5, 2006, 01:25 AM
alright so i sold my paintball gun and went out and bought WoW, im alrede lv 12 in 2 days. this game is so addictive and i love MMORPG'S so this game is alot of fun, but im not addicted to the point where i would ditch hanging out with my friends to play the game.

Learn how to use an apostrophe and capitlization and I might believe that you've got time to put down your school-work and spend hundreds of hours playing a computer game.

vouder17
Jun 5, 2006, 03:41 AM

The beginning lvl's are still very basic and can sometimes be a bit tedious. They basically give you a feel of your character and how the game works. I say only after lvl 30 does it really start to get interesting. And at lvl 40 you get your mount. You will understand this later ;)
Its the end lvl's that eat up your social life. Oh and i recommend this guide for lvl'ing it is the most fun and by far IMO the best way to lvl... Linky (http://www.wow-pro.com/Knowledge_Base/cat=135.html) There are others who disagree and say that grinding is the way to fast lvl'ing...pfff dont listen to them.

Well GL :) My guess is that you will be coming here less and less :P

PS: May i ask where u at EU, US?

Unorthodox
Jun 5, 2006, 03:59 PM
OK, you convinced me too.
Im going to get WoW when I get my new rev. B MacBook Pro.
I hate you all.... :) :p

Can you run WoW in window mode?

harveypooka
Jun 5, 2006, 04:59 PM
WoW is great because if you put the time in, you'll get to 60. I've been playing since January and am a level 50 Druid. I installed CT Mod and it totals up all your time you've spent playing. I've spent 14 days total playing that character. That's insane!

jesusphreak
Jun 5, 2006, 05:03 PM
Its only a good game if you haven't played a lot of MMORPGs (at least for most people).

Its intolerably boring once you hit 60 or if you've played MMOs for several years (in which case you realize how boring and unoriginal it is compared to other MMOs - basically just a rehash of what already has been done).

Everyone's first MMO or two are magical. I had the same experiences 6 years ago with EverQuest. Eventually, though, you realize that they are pretty pointless (and not fun) games. The only reason they tend to be fun is because massive worlds like that are new and very inviting and you get caught in the rat-race to get more items, power, etc, and don't even realize it. Its why they literally get addicting.

Quantum Man
Jun 6, 2006, 02:36 AM
You surely can run WoW in windowed mode. Apple + M.

Unorthodox
Jun 6, 2006, 10:53 AM
You surely can run WoW in windowed mode. Apple + M.
All right. Thats a big "must-have" for me.
Thanks.

harveypooka
Jun 6, 2006, 11:16 AM
Eventually, though, you realize that they are pretty pointless (and not fun) games.

I realise it's pointless and still play! It's just fun. It's very easy and you meet some nice people.

calebjohnston
Jun 6, 2006, 11:48 AM
Is WoW one of the games that you can legally run without the CD's in drive?

harveypooka
Jun 6, 2006, 12:57 PM
Is WoW one of the games that you can legally run without the CD's in drive?

Yes. But each player has to have their own copy of the game. A bit harsh I think. I let my friend borrow my CD's and the trial, when the trial ended...£30 AND the monthly fee please!

Josh
Jun 6, 2006, 01:04 PM
WoW is great because if you put the time in, you'll get to 60. I've been playing since January and am a level 50 Druid. I installed CT Mod and it totals up all your time you've spent playing. I've spent 14 days total playing that character. That's insane!

You can do that without CTMod or any other mods.

Just type "/played" and hit enter. The game will let you know the days, hours, minutes youve played.

WoW is a sweet game. It does take a big time commitment to be very rewarding, but it's fun.

If you've got 6+ hours a day to play, you'll have no problems. If you don't, take your time getting to 60.

After 60, there is barely anything you can do solo, so you'll need groups of 5,10,20,and 40 to be able to get anything competive.

You could do PvP, but that is even harder. It's been caculated that to get to Rank 14 in PvP (the highest rank), you need to play for 13+ hours a day for 3 months straight.

In WoW, time = reward (opposed to skill = reward).

harveypooka
Jun 6, 2006, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=Josh
You could do PvP, but that is even harder. It's been caculated that to get to Rank 14 in PvP (the highest rank), you need to play for 13+ hours a day for 3 months straight.[/QUOTE]

I agree there's little skill, but Honour and rank depends on your position on the server as well as the amount of kills, captures and what not. There was an article linked from wowwiki.com that listed it all - quite complex.

HiRez
Jun 6, 2006, 01:07 PM
WoW is great because if you put the time in, you'll get to 60. I've been playing since January and am a level 50 Druid. I installed CT Mod and it totals up all your time you've spent playing. I've spent 14 days total playing that character. That's insane!I don't think you need CTMod for that, just type "/played" and it will tell you the total for your character, and how much time they have spent on the current level. Checking my 60 paladin reveals 23+ days...almost a month out of my life just for that one character, that's pretty depressing. If you break that into 8-hour chunks as if it were employment, that'd be around 70 "work"-days. Yeesh, I gotta stop...

harveypooka
Jun 6, 2006, 01:10 PM
Some of my friends laugh at how much I play. But when they play, they too stop laughing and play and play and play...

Josh
Jun 6, 2006, 01:12 PM
I don't think you need CTMod for that, just type "/played" and it will tell you the total for your character, and how much time they have spent on the current level. Checking my 60 paladin reveals 23+ days...almost a month out of my life just for that one character, that's pretty depressing. If you break that into 8-hour chunks as if it were employment, that'd be around 70 "work"-days. Yeesh, I gotta stop...

I've seen people's /played showing 300+ days.

Considering the amount of time WoW has been out, and that /played calculates the amount of time actually played (not just how long you've had the character), all I can say is: ree-dik-a-luss. That is a WHOLE lot of time spent on a game.

I think my /played on my 60 rogue is around 11 days or so.