PDA

View Full Version : Console sizes compared side by side (Current and Next Gen)

srobert
May 30, 2006, 01:07 PM
I posted mainly because I think the picture is sooo pretty. All those sweet gaming consoles ^_^ I want them all!

I knew the Wii was small but I didn't really realize how small it was before I had a glimpse at those pics. Also, I only owned the orginal PS2. That newer PS2 slim is quite smaller O_O. Shows how fast technology is progressing.

PS3 sure is big but not as worst as I thought. It's comparable to the original Xbox.

Credits: Link (http://byonabi.haru.gs/ma2/html/gamemacin.html)

_

BlizzardBomb
May 30, 2006, 01:16 PM
Great picture! The first picture looks like how to set up "game console dominoes". That poor Wii will not be too happy about having an XBox land on it :p Never knew the Wii was THAT small!

Dagless
May 30, 2006, 01:45 PM
My parents bought my brother a 360 today. It's pretty grand. I mean I've seen them in real life, in other peoples houses etc. but seriously. It's hooked up to my old TV (SD, too) and it's just too big.

Thinking of flogging my old Xbox too. I've had my fun with it. hasn't been used in 6-9 months. Anyone want to buy an Xbox?

Pancake
May 30, 2006, 01:57 PM
Does anyone else think the orinal PS2 looks like something someone in the 80s would thought was really futuristic looking?

srobert
May 30, 2006, 02:04 PM
Does anyone else think the orinal PS2 looks like something someone in the 80s would thought was really futuristic looking?

I always thought it looked somewhat like a car amp.

Haoshiro
May 30, 2006, 03:18 PM

Yeah, Sony never could design a good looking console... save the redesign "PSOne", which I'm almost convinced must have been designed by some other company... heh.

Not many consoles have had a very good design, in my opinion. Sega Genesis (Megadrive) was cool for the time, Dreamcast I liked, N64 was interesting in a strange way, and I think the 360 is nice. Revolution wins the contest in my opinion, even if it does look like just a shiny, glossy, external disc drive!

Handheld designs have been pretty bad too, but PSP and DS Lite are nice I think... with my chasis preference going to DS Lite, esp. for practical AND aesthetic purposes (clam shell).

DougTheImpaler
May 30, 2006, 03:21 PM
I'd just like to request that hardware companies start making their consoles look like (and share the dimensions of) hifi equipment. Especially in this day of high-quality wireless controllers and consoles you can turn on from the controller (360); right now they all look like toys.

That said, top-loading consoles that are smaller than hifi equipment (Saturn, Playstation, Dreamcast, Cube, cart-loading systems like the NES II, SNES, Genesis, etc.) are all very nice designs and I don't mind them at all. It's the slot-load stuff that's advertised as being "HD" that doesn't blend in with home theater equipment that I'm complaining about.

emotion
May 30, 2006, 03:36 PM
That Wii is very small. Like they've thought about if people would buy one if they already had a monster (Xbox's or ps3) installed under the telly.

I like Nintendo games and neat small designs (writing this on a 12" pbook :) ), so I'll probs pick up a Wii.

Pancake
May 30, 2006, 04:05 PM
I'd just like to request that hardware companies start making their consoles look like (and share the dimensions of) hifi equipment. Especially in this day of high-quality wireless controllers and consoles you can turn on from the controller (360); right now they all look like toys.

I agree whole-heartedly with this statement. The only consoles I can remember that look like hifi equipment are the 3DO and CD-I. I think there are some more obscure Laserdisc consoles as well. Not exactly great machines, but they look in place next to a TV.

http://i3.tinypic.com/117hjrc.jpghttp://i2.tinypic.com/117qu6f.jpg

zap2
May 30, 2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah, Sony never could design a good looking console... save the redesign "PSOne", which I'm almost convinced must have been designed by some other company... heh.

Not many consoles have had a very good design, in my opinion. Sega Genesis (Megadrive) was cool for the time, Dreamcast I liked, N64 was interesting in a strange way, and I think the 360 is nice. Revolution wins the contest in my opinion, even if it does look like just a shiny, glossy, external disc drive!

Handheld designs have been pretty bad too, but PSP and DS Lite are nice I think... with my chasis preference going to DS Lite, esp. for practical AND aesthetic purposes (clam shell).

GB Micro, thats a sexy handheld:p

x86
May 30, 2006, 04:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the xbox receive heavy criticism for the size of the console? The PS3 is even bigger!

jdechko
May 30, 2006, 04:51 PM
Hmmmm. I wonder if Nintendo will ever release a slim Wii... it would be kinda cool to have the gamecube stuff be on a breakout-box type thing. The Slim Wii could be as small of a footprint as it is now, but only as thick as the Slim PS3. Heh.

Dagless
May 30, 2006, 04:58 PM
Hmmmm. I wonder if Nintendo will ever release a slim Wii... it would be kinda cool to have the gamecube stuff be on a breakout-box type thing. The Slim Wii could be as small of a footprint as it is now, but only as thick as the Slim PS3. Heh.

Nintendo said that the Rev/Wii we saw was not the final product. And, we haven't been told otherwise yet :p
Might be even smaller. Especially since the Wii's at E3 weren't even real machines.

Abulia
May 30, 2006, 05:39 PM
I'd just like to request that hardware companies start making their consoles look like (and share the dimensions of) hifi equipment. Especially in this day of high-quality wireless controllers and consoles you can turn on from the controller (360); right now they all look like toys.Word. Skinning the 360, for example, can help hide the unit, though.

GFLPraxis
May 30, 2006, 08:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the xbox receive heavy criticism for the size of the console? The PS3 is even bigger!

However, ironically, the XBox 360's power supply actually has more volume than the entire Wii console. It's huge. The PS3's power supply is internal IIRC, so while the 360 and PS3 are about the same size, you have a huge brick larger than a Wii hanging on the power cord.

DougTheImpaler
May 30, 2006, 09:30 PM
Word. Skinning the 360, for example, can help hide the unit, though.
It can to an extent, but I haven't seen any clean black faceplates in my local stores yet. Besides, the white isn't as bad as the shape. The unnecessary curves on top and bottom and the dimensions make it out-of-place. I love my 360, but I love even more that it's behind an opaque door when I'm not playing it. :D :D

x86 you are correct, but I think the controllers were universally received much worse than the console itself. The original Xbox, again if properly shaped, would be exactly what I want in terms of size.

2nyRiggz
May 30, 2006, 09:56 PM
I always thought it looked somewhat like a car amp.

Indeed....I think the new gen consoles look great(all of em) and the handhelds aren't bad at all except the original DS which is ugly as a troll. I always liked my SNES design....great.

Bless

Haoshiro
May 31, 2006, 06:27 AM

I for one am glad they don't! Standard size is far too large. If they could make a new, smaller, form factor for hifi equipment then perhaps, but the size of the equipment right now is just much too large.

I personally don't have any hifi equipment anymore. I used to, but not anymore. I know many people that could say the same thing. Imagine if the GameCube had been the size of hifi equipment... pointless and huge!

Not a single person I know that games on consoles now has a hifi setup except for one.

And of course there is the other reason it will never happen: branding. Companies don't want their console system to look just like the competitions.

jesusphreak
May 31, 2006, 08:41 AM
x86 you are correct, but I think the controllers were universally received much worse than the console itself. The original Xbox, again if properly shaped, would be exactly what I want in terms of size.

The controllers on the 360? They've gotten nothing but rave reviews. It was the original (big) controllers on the first Xbox that everyone hated.

sam10685
May 31, 2006, 09:41 AM

how much slimmer do u want the Wii?!

jdechko
May 31, 2006, 10:23 AM
how much slimmer do u want the Wii?!

Oh, it'll fit just fine on my TV stand, but everyone likes smaller things (DS lite, MacMini, Slim PS2).

DougTheImpaler
May 31, 2006, 12:28 PM
The controllers on the 360? They've gotten nothing but rave reviews. It was the original (big) controllers on the first Xbox that everyone hated.
Uhm...what? His question was about the original Xbox...I was replying to his question...what exactly are you correcting me on?

yellow
May 31, 2006, 12:29 PM
What? No Pippen? :)