View Full Version : DS Lite Countdown Thread

Moshiiii
May 30, 2006, 03:38 PM
12 more days.. discuss. :D

Haoshiro
May 30, 2006, 03:44 PM
I'm too busy with my GBA still!

Several games look great though.

Question for anyone that knows... can you play GBA games with a link cable and DS+GBA? I have a GBA and was thinking about getting a DS so my wife and I can both play via system link... possible?

danny_w
May 30, 2006, 04:01 PM
I was looking forward to the DS Lite, but then I realized that there are very few RPGs released so far for the DS, and there are a LOT of them for the GBA. I realize that you can play GBA games on a DS/DS Lite, but why? Is there any benefit, other than the adjustable backlight? I'm just asking, I really don't know much about these things.

x86
May 30, 2006, 04:10 PM
lol, I just got mine today... The screens are amazing compared to the old model. The only bad thing I noticed is that the upper frame feels a bit cheap, but other than that no complaints here!

zap2
May 30, 2006, 04:21 PM
GB Micro.. thats a nice little system, some Mario Kirby and Tetris and your golden:D

lynziwow
May 30, 2006, 04:25 PM
I'm too busy with my GBA still!

Question for anyone that knows... can you play GBA games with a link cable and DS+GBA? I have a GBA and was thinking about getting a DS so my wife and I can both play via system link... possible?

GREAT QUESTION!
Does anyone know the answer to this? This is the only thing keeping me from running out to pre-order the lite today!

Thanks ya'll.

jdechko
May 30, 2006, 04:44 PM
GREAT QUESTION!
Does anyone know the answer to this? This is the only thing keeping me from running out to pre-order the lite today!

Thanks ya'll.

No. There is no link cable port on the DS... there's only wireless for connectivity and a port for the charger. There may also be wireless (most likely WiFi) connectivity to the Wii when it is released.

Dagless
May 30, 2006, 04:55 PM
longer for us UK folk, BUT WE GET THE BLACK ONE ner ner

Haoshiro
May 30, 2006, 04:56 PM
No. There is no link cable port on the DS... there's only wireless for connectivity and a port for the charger. There may also be wireless (most likely WiFi) connectivity to the Wii when it is released.

If that is true then the next question is: can you play system-link GBA games over WiFi with 2 DS systems?

jdechko
May 30, 2006, 05:05 PM
If that is true then the next question is: can you play system-link GBA games over WiFi with 2 DS systems?

I'm not sure about that one. I think it's a great idea, but I don't know if that's possible. Sorry.

Supa_Fly
May 30, 2006, 05:47 PM

I too am not sure what you mean, either but I'm guessing no/yes/no. let me explain.

GBA game that is multiplayer that would use the modified USB/System link cable to another GBA system ... "Possibly" would work over WiFi ... as there are WiFi adapters for the GBA SP systems but I would estimate NO because those adapter TRICK the SP into thinking its using a Link Cable.

YES for WiFi to GCN IF there was a WiFi adapter to that; but for now Nada.

This is tuff information to find out I say just take a stab at it.

Where are you people finding news of the DS Lite coming to the US?

DEXTERITY
May 30, 2006, 06:54 PM
lol, I just got mine today... The screens are amazing compared to the old model. The only bad thing I noticed is that the upper frame feels a bit cheap, but other than that no complaints here!

If this helps any, I dropped 3 different DS Lights today (1 on a very hard floor, the other 2 on a wooden floor multiple times) and nothing happened to any of them. Our handhelds are always made pretty sturdy. I've actually dropped the old DS (DS was open) about 5 feet from a hard tiled floor in a store and it didn't phase it.. sure couldn't do that with a psp lol..

Bubbasteve
May 30, 2006, 06:54 PM
Wow I can't believe it's only 12 days away! I already have the New Super Mario Bros. and I'm thinking about dishing out the cabbage for Animal Crossing and/or Mario Kart... but I think I will rock Mario Bros. for now

DEXTERITY
May 30, 2006, 06:56 PM

no the GBA doesn't have wi-fi like the DS has. The wireless adaptor is just that. It isn't true wi-fi like the DS.

Dagless
May 30, 2006, 07:04 PM
no the GBA doesn't have wi-fi like the DS has. The wireless adaptor is just that. It isn't true wi-fi like the DS.

IIRC it's just a radio transmitter/receiver. not 802.11x, bluetooth etc. just some real basic cut down wireless. wouldn't be surprised if it incorporated some kind of miniature gnat or similarly sized mini-beast to ferry data back and forth.

sb58
May 30, 2006, 07:56 PM
i plan on getting it on June 11. i might have to be late/miss a party(zap2's) just to get it. but we'll see.

GFLPraxis
May 30, 2006, 08:08 PM

No.

DeSnousa
May 30, 2006, 08:35 PM
Its out in Australia tomorrow :D However I just bought a Gameboy Micro, so I might wait a bit. Maybe I will get it when they release a game with the handheld :)

2nyRiggz
May 30, 2006, 08:48 PM
I'll be getting one along with new super mario bros. as well...can u believe i still haven't open my MP: hunters yet.

Bless

risc
May 30, 2006, 08:48 PM
12 more days.. discuss. :D

I'm in Australia... tomorrow! ;)

DeSnousa
May 30, 2006, 08:58 PM
I'm in Australia... tomorrow! ;)

It feels good for a change, doesn't it :D

2nyRiggz
May 30, 2006, 09:07 PM
I want pictures from my pals down under....don't care if they look the same...want pictures!

Bless

Moshiiii
May 30, 2006, 09:10 PM
I agree, the Gameboy Micro is a very sleek machine. I got Drill Dozer today to hold me until the DS Lite come. That game is awesome btw :D I unloaded my regular Nintendo DS, Animal Crossing, Resident Evil DS and Zelda: Minish cap on ebay to fuel the Nintendo DS Lite.

and yes I am jelouse of the Uk's black DS!

cyberdogl2
May 30, 2006, 09:48 PM
I dumped my DS to my cousin for 50 bucks just so I can buy a lite. Just less than 2 more weeks and I'll be able to play all my DS games again in stunning color! Also copping New Super Mario brothers. And maybe a supercard.

Moshiiii
May 30, 2006, 09:57 PM
I dumped my DS to my cousin for 50 bucks.

That was a nice gesture :D

cyberdogl2
May 30, 2006, 10:02 PM
Yeah.. without getting into the details of life, I would have given it to the little boy, but college times are tough. One day I'm ballin, the next I'm tryin to get 50 bucks from his mom for something I just wanted to give to him for being good.

sam10685
May 31, 2006, 01:50 AM
longer for us UK folk, BUT WE GET THE BLACK ONE ner ner

i'm jealous... looks like i get to wait.

wako
May 31, 2006, 01:52 AM
Is this a bad time to be telling you guys this?.....

Street Date is BROKEN :D (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/31/storm-your-shops-ds-lite-street-date-broken/#comments)

ModestPenguin
May 31, 2006, 02:15 AM
Sweet. Too bad I just spent all my cash on a macbook I can't afford Credit Cards be damned. I want one though.

homerjward
May 31, 2006, 02:18 AM
i'm definitely gonna get one--sellin my psp to a friend to do so :p
i went in to pre-order it at eb games tonight but i found out it's $50 for a consol e instead of $5 for a game, so i'm just gonna hope they have some on launch date (won't be gettin the $$ til early next week prolly) :(

Smallville
May 31, 2006, 03:45 AM
Has anyone else seen this review online? Not only photos of the real thing, but a Quicktime video as well.

The video comparison definitely sold me on holding out for a Lite.

http://www.cabel.name/2006/03/nintendo-ds-lite-first-look.html

Haoshiro
May 31, 2006, 06:17 AM
No.

So there is absolutely NO way to play a GBA multiplayer game on a DS system? What a load of cach!

Moshiiii
May 31, 2006, 06:18 AM
11 days ! :D

JDOG_
May 31, 2006, 10:24 AM
I'm sure everyone's seen this (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95743) by now...

"The official US street date for the Nintendo DS Lite has been broken. Posts at CAG report that several Target stores and Walmarts are already selling Nintendo DS Lite units in the US. It has also been reported on the Nintendo and Xbox Forums. Maybe retailers are confusing it with June 1? Post here if you've found one. The official street date in the US is June 11, 2006." -Gamingbits.com

My local Target didn't have any, and for some reason the electronics guy was under the impression the release date is the 19th...which is a Friday too late :mad:

shortyjj
May 31, 2006, 10:39 AM
I called all the local targets (No. VA), none even indicated that they had been selling them.

AJ Muni
May 31, 2006, 10:59 AM
I also called my local Target, Walmart, & EB Games (Miami, FL) and they all said it was'nt out yet.

cyberdogl2
May 31, 2006, 11:41 AM
no ds lite early at the walmart in pomona, ca

GFLPraxis
May 31, 2006, 11:52 AM
So there is absolutely NO way to play a GBA multiplayer game on a DS system? What a load of cach!

Nintendo's only been saying this since the DS came out...the advertisements always noted that it supports GBA single player games and DS games, and does not support GBA multiplayer games or classic GameBoy games.

Haoshiro
May 31, 2006, 12:15 PM
And it remains a bunch of crap. At least DS is getting some good multiplayer lately.

Dagless
May 31, 2006, 12:23 PM
If the DS was the successor the to GBA's thrown then yes, I'd be upset. But seeing it's not, it's the third pillar, the GBA lives on etc... so I'm happy with it. Nintendo still make the GBA SP and Micro if you want to play multiplayer. The DS is the DS. not the GBA+DS.

Moshiiii
May 31, 2006, 12:39 PM
The DS is the DS. not the GBA+DS.

I concur, i don't play GBA games on my DS. Gameboy Advance (Micro) is the MAN!

I called pretty much any store that would be selling a Nintendo DS Lite in my area and none have broken the street date. Although that internet site said they would arrive May 31st (Which is today). Local stores arround here wont get their mail until 5:00pm, so maybe I'll check tomarrow.

Haoshiro
May 31, 2006, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure I believe that line from Nintendo. I think they called it a third pillar so that if it tanked they could quietly kill it off.

But now, they have shift 1st party releases to the DS, and third parties are doing the same. GBA support is dwindling pretty fast lately from what I can say.

I just don't see Nintendo releasing a "GBA2" to compete with DS, frankly it would be stupid. And did they even mention GBA at E3? Nope. DS is their new handheld and that is pretty plane to see.

Come "DS2" I think they'll be merged brands. "Gameboy DS" or some craziness.

2nyRiggz
May 31, 2006, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure I believe that line from Nintendo. I think they called it a third pillar so that if it tanked they could quietly kill it off.

Indeed....i think they didn't want there Gameboy name killed if the DS didn't make it.....the DS is a a next step of the GB and they can admit it now. I also agree that we won't see any sort of GBA2...we will see a DS2 before that.

Bless

paddy
May 31, 2006, 01:02 PM
Oh I can't wait to get mine (June 27th for me :() Still though looking forward to it. I had the option of getting the black but I went for the white instead mainly because the smudges won't be as visible (I hope) an possibly scratches. Roll on the 27th.

danny_w
May 31, 2006, 01:04 PM

But now, they have shift 1st party releases to the DS, and third parties are doing the same. GBA support is dwindling pretty fast lately from what I can say.

I just don't see Nintendo releasing a "GBA2" to compete with DS, frankly it would be stupid. And did they even mention GBA at E3? Nope. DS is their new handheld and that is pretty plane to see.

Come "DS2" I think they'll be merged brands. "Gameboy DS" or some craziness.
They do have the "new" GBA SP with the brighter backlight, which I almost bought at lunch. However, I have never seen a direct comparison of the "old" and "new" SP display, and they were unwilling to help, so I passed. And I have NEVER seen a working Micro on display that I could look at, so that is out. I put my money down on a preorder DS Lite, but I'm not sure that I want it. I guess that I could refuse it and use the store credit for somehting else if I really didn't like it.

GFLPraxis
May 31, 2006, 01:09 PM
Interestingly, it seems the DS Lite is already being sold at Walmart and Target. :confused:

http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=315

Abulia
May 31, 2006, 01:11 PM
Interestingly, it seems the DS Lite is already being sold at Walmart and Target. :confused:Post #34 above, buddy. :)

erikk18
May 31, 2006, 01:37 PM
I got my DS lite today at Target in Arlington Heights IL. I guess they didn't get the June 11th memo!

wako
May 31, 2006, 02:02 PM
I'm sure everyone's seen this (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95743) by now...

My local Target didn't have any, and for some reason the electronics guy was under the impression the release date is the 19th...which is a Friday too late :mad:

i posted that 3rd post from the top of the page...

i guess nobody noticed my insignificant post :(

cyberdogl2
May 31, 2006, 02:41 PM
i am calling every target i know of in my area, details tonight with results

cyberdogl2
May 31, 2006, 02:53 PM
one target told me they called nintendo, and nintendo told them not to sell it until JUNE 9th. Take that for all it's worth.

JDOG_
May 31, 2006, 03:33 PM
i posted that 3rd post from the top of the page...

i guess nobody noticed my insignificant post :(

HAH! Sorry chief, if I had seen that I wouldn't have posted. Blended in too much as a signature for me to see it. I wouldn't worry about credit around here, nobody cares ;)

So erikk18, you gonna post some pics? I mean I've totally seen everything I wanted to see, but over-saturation is welcomed!

danny_w
May 31, 2006, 03:35 PM
I never depend on what somebody at a store tells me on the phone these days, so I usually don't even bother calling. Besides, most of the reports I've seen have stated that the DS Lites were in the display case with the same SKU #, so the salesmen probably woudn't even know that they had it if they did bother to check. The only Target I have checked personally so far did not have it.

sam10685
May 31, 2006, 04:05 PM
i'm getting one for to reasons... the DS lite looks way cooler and i just set-up my wireless internet connection so i kinda wanna play mario kart with some random dude in asia.

lynziwow
May 31, 2006, 04:15 PM
here in Lodi,CA we have a Wal*Mart, Target, and a GameCrazy all in the same shopping center, pretty much. Both GameCrazy and Target told me they couldn't sell until the 11th and the people at Wallyworld had no idea what I was talking about. (surprise, surprise) i may check back there tonight, although I hate giving them my hard earned dough.

GFLPraxis
May 31, 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #34 above, buddy. :)

That whooshing sound you hear is the sound of post 34 flying over my head.

DEXTERITY
May 31, 2006, 08:56 PM
one target told me they called nintendo, and nintendo told them not to sell it until JUNE 9th. Take that for all it's worth.

There is a hard street date of June 11th. No one is supposed to be sellling it prior to that. Corp. is aware of the situation..

danny_w
May 31, 2006, 10:22 PM
I stopped by the Target close to my house on the way home, and they were completely out of DS machines (they had several 'old' models last night though). I suspect that they got the new models, pulled the old ones, and then promptly sold out of the new models before I got there. Nobody is saying anything though.

.Andy
May 31, 2006, 11:34 PM
Being an Aussie I picked up my preorder this morning. It is a lovely piece of equipment. I can't wait to get home and play it properly. At present the quick covert dash to the tiolet is the only chance I have of playing this beauty. I've also put on my Hori screen protectors (fairly poorly. I suck at screen protectors :().

I think you can sum it up with: Pictures do not do it justice.

BurtonCCC
Jun 1, 2006, 12:03 AM
I got my DS lite today at Target in Arlington Heights IL. I guess they didn't get the June 11th memo!
How far is Arlington Heights from Wheaton? I guess I'd probably lose my $25 at EB though, because I already preordered. I'm glad I did too because they said they were only getting 5 or 6. So if you guys plan on buying from EB, go preorder as soon as possible. The other EB location said they'd only get ten and they had orders already for 6 of them. And that was a week ago.

Daniel.

BurtonCCC
Jun 1, 2006, 12:05 AM
I failed to mention I got a brand new, sealed copy of Animal Crossing for $5 on eBay this morning. Thus marks the first DS game I own. Somebody said there was a friend code list on MacRumors a little bit ago, but I think we should start one up again when the Lite hits stores because you know everybody will be playing like mad...

Daniel.

Moshiiii
Jun 1, 2006, 06:13 AM
I failed to mention I got a brand new, sealed copy of Animal Crossing for $5 on eBay this morning. Daniel.

How you go about doing this? I just sold my Animal Crossing for $25.00 on ebay.

10 more days!

cheekyspanky
Jun 1, 2006, 07:19 AM
Just ordered a black one, was shown a demo unit in Game - it looks good, feels a bit sharp almost, but much nicer than the older one.

I was going to go for the white one until I saw it in person where it didn't look quite as nice as expected.

What games are good? I think I ordered animal crossing..whatever the best selling game is on amazon.co.uk anyway..!

BurtonCCC
Jun 1, 2006, 09:21 AM
How you go about doing this? I just sold my Animal Crossing for $25.00 on ebay.

10 more days!
I was pleasantly surprised. I don't even know when I bid on it, but I only bid $5.00 and then forgot about it. Yesterday, I get a Second Chance Offer (not a fake, I made sure to check) for my original $5.00 bid. All I know is now I can't wait for my DS.

Daniel.

BurtonCCC
Jun 1, 2006, 09:22 AM
Just ordered a black one, was shown a demo unit in Game - it looks good, feels a bit sharp almost, but much nicer than the older one.

I was going to go for the white one until I saw it in person where it didn't look quite as nice as expected.

What games are good? I think I ordered animal crossing..whatever the best selling game is on amazon.co.uk anyway..!
Check out the "Must have DS games" thread.

Daniel.

Moshiiii
Jun 1, 2006, 11:12 AM
What games are good?

Theres many good games for the DS. If you like action/adventure I'd suggest Resident Evil: Deadly Silence. If you prefer platforms I'd suggest New Mario Bros. If you like puzzles I'd suggest Brain Age. Simulation games I'd suggest Truama Center.

Yvan256
Jun 1, 2006, 11:58 AM
Can't wait for Magnetica (http://e3src.nintendo.com/games/ds/magnetica/)!

devilot
Jun 1, 2006, 12:03 PM
But first, I've never owned any gaming console, ever, nor any handheld player. Nothing. :( I've borrowed or played friends' systems though.

That said, all this talk and those video blogs on the DS lite makes me really want one. :o But I have a confession to make, I suck at the Mario games, at least I did on all the regular consoles-- is it safe to assume that the DS version will play very similarly (as in, no point for me to get one)?

cyberdogl2
Jun 1, 2006, 12:06 PM
Any type of game you like to play, DS has great titles. Simulation: Truama Center and Nintendogs, Racing: Mariokart DS, Platform: New Super Mario Brothers, Strategy: Advance Wars: DS

cyberdogl2
Jun 1, 2006, 12:07 PM
Well, sucking isnt really the important part. When you sucked at it, did you have fun attempting to pass the levels? if you have fun with the game, even if because it's hard, then you definitely should pick it up.

devilot
Jun 1, 2006, 12:10 PM
When you sucked at it, did you have fun attempting to pass the levels? if you have fun with the game, even if because it's hard, then you definitely should pick it up.See, that's the deal breaker... in the old school Mario, I couldn't even make it to the first green pipe thingie. :o The game gets really old if you're stuck on level one and keep getting killed by the same darned angry musrhoomy looking fella. Or if you keep falling down holes. :o

That said, I know I can play some puzzle type games, but is it worth shelling out for the DS lite? Hehe. Hm... must ponder. I really just want to see it in person and hold it. :D

sam10685
Jun 1, 2006, 01:13 PM
Well, sucking isnt really the important part. When you sucked at it, did you have fun attempting to pass the levels? if you have fun with the game, even if because it's hard, then you definitely should pick it up.

i suck at everything. but i have fun playing it. there for, i am agreeing with u and am going to get one.

erikk18
Jun 1, 2006, 01:28 PM
How far is Arlington Heights from Wheaton? I guess I'd probably lose my $25 at EB though, because I already preordered. I'm glad I did too because they said they were only getting 5 or 6. So if you guys plan on buying from EB, go preorder as soon as possible. The other EB location said they'd only get ten and they had orders already for 6 of them. And that was a week ago.

Daniel.

Its pretty far... you would take 355 until it merges with 53 near schaumburg, and then get off at rand road. It might be worth it for a brand-spankin' new ds. Although I've been hearing that some stores are getting wise to the street date... I'd give target a call just in case.

good luck!

Dagless
Jun 1, 2006, 01:37 PM
But first, I've never owned any gaming console, ever, nor any handheld player. Nothing. :( I've borrowed or played friends' systems though.

That said, all this talk and those video blogs on the DS lite makes me really want one. :o But I have a confession to make, I suck at the Mario games, at least I did on all the regular consoles-- is it safe to assume that the DS version will play very similarly (as in, no point for me to get one)?

Oh I wouldn't worry too much. Mario is about the same difficulty as it has always been. But there are the non-games that are storming the DS.

-Electroplankton (I think the name is)
-Nintendogs
-Animal Crossing
-Brain Age

You can't win those. They're just experiences packaged as games.

JDOG_
Jun 1, 2006, 01:49 PM
Can't wait for Magnetica (http://e3src.nintendo.com/games/ds/magnetica/)!

That game looks like a crazy version of Zuma...should be fun :D

My target today again didn't have them and the lady on the phone was like "Even if we did, we can't sell them until the 11th..."

Brutal.

Why do companies make it so hard for you to spend money on them sometimes :confused:

Dagless
Jun 1, 2006, 03:46 PM
UK Launch date the Black DS Lite is mine. oh lord I better put a deposit down and FAST!

Moshiiii
Jun 1, 2006, 06:36 PM
UK Launch date the Black DS Lite is mine. oh lord I better put a deposit down and FAST!

The Black DS looks damn nice, but I've heard something about how it smudges like mad. Thats a minor detail but It would drive me up the wall, I'd be constantly polishing it.

Mavimao
Jun 1, 2006, 08:29 PM
I preordered mine a couple of weeks ago at EB. Too bad I just heard about the broken release date today. I might have shopped around a bit...

I have Metroid Prime Hunters itching to be played.

Just a few thoughts on the DS: When it first came out, I was very unimpressed. I played a demo of Mario 64DS and I thought to myself, "OK, it's basically an N64 with pixelated PS1-like graphics..." I hated the feel of the handheld and thought it would bomb.

Now I've been salivating over the DS lite. It solves all the problems I had with the original design (buttons, screen, etc), and now it has great games. Games that I never thought I would ever buy. My GBA never got much use because it just seemed more of the same. Same platformers, same button mashing, same old bland crap. The DS has all these weird original games which has me interested in gaming again. I'd like to get my Dad into Brain Age and my girlfriend into Animal Crossing.

Moshiiii
Jun 1, 2006, 09:40 PM

Just a few thoughts on the DS: When it first came out, I was very unimpressed.
I'd like to get my Dad into Brain Age and my girlfriend into Animal Crossing.

Same here, I was too occupied with FFXI MMORPG to care about anything else. I was watching my friend play and thought the layout of the system was done horribly, but I got his in a trade and fell in love with it.

My g/f doesn't play games that much but she likes to play some tittles I have, Animal Crossing apealed to her alot. Shes got her nose in Drill Dozer right now. Thats something nintendo is doing right, they are making it easy for someone to play a video game for the first time and get involved with it.

Moshiiii
Jun 2, 2006, 07:46 AM
9 days :D

paddy
Jun 2, 2006, 08:27 AM
9 days :D

25 days for me. :(

MacRumorUser
Jun 2, 2006, 08:28 AM
25 days for me. :(

LOL! Yeah tell me about it :)

Moshiiii
Jun 2, 2006, 08:53 AM
/comfort :D

Dagless
Jun 2, 2006, 10:26 AM
20 days for us brits. I think. at least thats what Game is telling me.

You can take all the comfort you want Moshiiii ;) I want that black DS! oooh... I could play in the dark and see only 2 screens. :D

2nyRiggz
Jun 2, 2006, 03:35 PM
Thw white one looks so grand...i can't stand the light blue one..its horrible. You think they will have a shortage on the 11th like in Japan?

Bless

Dagless
Jun 2, 2006, 03:51 PM
Thw white one looks so grand...i can't stand the light blue one..its horrible. You think they will have a shortage on the 11th like in Japan?

Bless

Possibly. I know that I'm probably going to have to preorder one. Game Manchester has so many pre-orders already. I know I'm going to have to go hunting for one :(

gamer2k
Jun 2, 2006, 04:02 PM
DS Lite is an amazing little machine. One gripe I have is that my touch-screen LCD is a bit off-center, but it still works fine since you can calibrate it. The screen is just leaps and bounds above what the original DS was.

danny_w
Jun 2, 2006, 04:29 PM
DS Lite is an amazing little machine. One gripe I have is that my touch-screen LCD is a bit off-center, but it still works fine since you can calibrate it. The screen is just leaps and bounds above what the original DS was.
How does it compare to the new DS with the improved backlight?

gamer2k
Jun 2, 2006, 05:46 PM
How does it compare to the new DS with the improved backlight?

It blows it out of the water. The DS Lite has 4 brightness settings... at the lowest, it's about equivalent, if not better than the original DS screen. When it's turned all the way up, it's actually so bright that it kinda hurts my eyes to play on it, so I always play at Brightness Level 3 or so.

It's a wonderful upgrade, and looks very pretty to boot. :)

Moshiiii
Jun 2, 2006, 05:49 PM
I heard the highest light setting emits the same amount of light as the sun! Fact!:D

sturigdson
Jun 2, 2006, 06:01 PM
Just a few thoughts on the DS: When it first came out, I was very unimpressed. I played a demo of Mario 64DS and I thought to myself, "OK, it's basically an N64 with pixelated PS1-like graphics..." I hated the feel of the handheld and thought it would bomb.

Now I've been salivating over the DS lite. It solves all the problems I had with the original design (buttons, screen, etc), and now it has great games. Games that I never thought I would ever buy. ... The DS has all these weird original games which has me interested in gaming again. ...

Just wanted to say that this has been my exact response- honestly, I'd been following the DS and was completely underwhelmed by it. But the DS Lite coupled with these fantastically intriguing, goofy games had me in a froth. I ebayed a blue import Lite, got a decent deal on it. And it's like I'm a kid again. Soooo fun.
Anyway. Just opened up my new, travelling AC:WW- so anybody wants in, come visit... I got apples and just caught my first SHARK!

Gen.Stan
Xenophöb
2491-7990-1770

danny_w
Jun 2, 2006, 06:12 PM
It blows it out of the water. The DS Lite has 4 brightness settings... at the lowest, it's about equivalent, if not better than the original DS screen. When it's turned all the way up, it's actually so bright that it kinda hurts my eyes to play on it, so I always play at Brightness Level 3 or so.

It's a wonderful upgrade, and looks very pretty to boot. :)
Sorry, I misspoke in my last request. If the lowest setting is about equal to the original SP, what is equal to the "new" SP? I assume setting 2 or 3? I'm trying to get a feel for if I want the DS Lite or the "new" SP. I don't really like any of the DS games that are out now or slated for the next few months.

.Andy
Jun 2, 2006, 09:15 PM
I don't really like any of the DS games that are out now or slated for the next few months.
Why on earth even consider getting one then? What are you going to do with it?

danny_w
Jun 2, 2006, 09:38 PM
Why on earth even consider getting one then? What are you going to do with it?
That's exactly why I asked about the comparison to the "new" SP. Because if the screen is similar I would probably rather have the SP, but if the screen is that much better I will get the DS Lite (not for DS games but for GBA games mainly).

Moshiiii
Jun 2, 2006, 10:31 PM
That's exactly why I asked about the comparison to the "new" SP. Because if the screen is similar I would probably rather have the SP, but if the screen is that much better I will get the DS Lite (not for DS games but for GBA games mainly).

If I were to just play GBA games I'd look into buying a Gameboy Advance Micro. They are very compact, look amazing, and have a very bright screen. I play all my GBA games on my micro and I love it!

Dagless
Jun 3, 2006, 05:32 AM
Aye. If you want a GBA get a Micro. If you want a DS get a Lite.
The Lite has the brighter screen,
The Micro is smaller and limited to GBA games (though I don't think limited is the right word).

Moshiiii
Jun 3, 2006, 07:40 AM
8 days :D

DEXTERITY
Jun 3, 2006, 07:49 AM

The screen isn't similar. Setting 3 on thet DS light is about the same as the new SP. Setting 4 is a lot brighter than the SP and as mentioned before almost too bright. But the colors look so much richer on the DS Light.

Danny if you goto a Game Stop, EB, Circuit City, Best Buy, Target or Walmart they should have an interacative with the AGT (new sp). The screen is a million times better than the old SP. If you goto Game Stop/EB the store has a micro behind the counter that they are supposed to use to show customers. That was given to them by our Corporate (Nintendo). The Micro screen is amazing as well and it is so light and small you can't even tell it's in your pocket. The DS light interactives are just now being set up in stores (replacing the old DS's started last week) so the stores in your area may have not been updated as of yet.

2nyRiggz
Jun 3, 2006, 12:03 PM
I'm not seeing any pictures yet......whats up peoples..

Bless

zap2
Jun 3, 2006, 12:10 PM

Get a Mirco.. it screen is nice and bright and you can carry it with you all the time cuz its so tiny!

0s and 1s
Jun 3, 2006, 12:13 PM
Wait a damn minute here...... :eek:

According to my iCalculations, the 11th falls on a Sunday. When is the last time any significant release (game/console/etc.) fallen on a weekend??

:confused:

2nyRiggz
Jun 3, 2006, 12:19 PM
because nintendo is trying to be different.....different is as different does:confused: (don't ask me)

Bless

BurtonCCC
Jun 3, 2006, 01:22 PM
8 days. This week needs to start flying by... now!

Daniel.

DEXTERITY
Jun 3, 2006, 01:28 PM
Wait a damn minute here...... :eek:

According to my iCalculations, the 11th falls on a Sunday. When is the last time any significant release (game/console/etc.) fallen on a weekend??

:confused:

We always release our systems on a Sunday. The first DS came out on a Sunday and I believe so did the SP and the GC.

danny_w
Jun 3, 2006, 01:40 PM
The screen isn't similar. Setting 3 on thet DS light is about the same as the new SP. Setting 4 is a lot brighter than the SP and as mentioned before almost too bright. But the colors look so much richer on the DS Light.

Danny if you goto a Game Stop, EB, Circuit City, Best Buy, Target or Walmart they should have an interacative with the AGT (new sp). The screen is a million times better than the old SP. If you goto Game Stop/EB the store has a micro behind the counter that they are supposed to use to show customers. That was given to them by our Corporate (Nintendo). The Micro screen is amazing as well and it is so light and small you can't even tell it's in your pocket. The DS light interactives are just now being set up in stores (replacing the old DS's started last week) so the stores in your area may have not been updated as of yet.
Thanks for the word about EB/Gamestop having a Micro behind the counter. I have been to many stores and NEVER seen a Micro that I could look at, and I don't want to buy something that I can't see. For that reason the Micro always seemd a dud to me, because you couldn't find any to look at. And I have seen the interactive SP's in the stores, but without a direct comparison with a game that I am familiar with it does me no good, and no store that I went to was willing to help. I'm really getting frustrated, but I guess I'll go look again.

Dagless
Jun 3, 2006, 02:15 PM
I had another hold of one today :)

I was gonna trade over my old DS and only pay £60 for a Lite. But I remembered I have to send over the WiFi details to my new DS. ah well. :o

sb58
Jun 3, 2006, 02:41 PM
gah! the waiting is killing me!

DEXTERITY
Jun 3, 2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the word about EB/Gamestop having a Micro behind the counter. I have been to many stores and NEVER seen a Micro that I could look at, and I don't want to buy something that I can't see. For that reason the Micro always seemd a dud to me, because you couldn't find any to look at. And I have seen the interactive SP's in the stores, but without a direct comparison with a game that I am familiar with it does me no good, and no store that I went to was willing to help. I'm really getting frustrated, but I guess I'll go look again.

You're welcome, no problem at all. We attempted to put micro interactives in Walmart but they were designed poorly and lasted about three days before they were stolen lol.. If you goto an EB/GS and they don't have one its because the manager took it home, which they aren't supposed to do. Some have used ones so they should be able to show you one of those. I'm surprised no one was willing to do that with an SP for you. Best Buy employee's (one in each game department) had micro's they were wearing around their necks for a period of time but that didn't quite pan out.

the_mole1314
Jun 3, 2006, 04:40 PM
they had a DS lite setup at Target today, it's awesome.

Moshiiii
Jun 3, 2006, 05:28 PM
AHHHH I'M GOING TO KILL WALLMART!

I had a DS Lite IN MY HAND! ready to check out and it wouldnt ring up the girl was going to manually put it in for 129.99$. Then a manager came over and said they couldnt sell it to me! GDI I broke into tears.

timmillwood
Jun 3, 2006, 06:25 PM
i imported my DS Lite from hong kong, couldnt wait until uk release cos i wanted it for holidays.

Its great, it looks cool, unlike the old one.
I paid £111 for with uk plug and shipping

I just gotta sell my White PSP now to settle my credit card, the PSP games just arnt as fun as Mario and sonic

danny_w
Jun 3, 2006, 06:34 PM
I just bought a "new" SP (actually traded my old SP for $30 credit) because I really didn't see the benefit of the DS Lite for my uses. Boy, does it make a difference! The colers are so much more vibrant, and the display in general is so much brighter! It is almost like the old one didn't even have a light on it, the difference is so great. I think I will just cancel my preorder for the Lite and use the store credit for a game or something.

DEXTERITY
Jun 3, 2006, 06:45 PM
Nice purchase.. not to sway you in anyway and you probably are aware of all of this. But the DS is going to offer you so much more. The games are better. You can still play the GBA games. The amount of games being produced is far greater for the DS. And if you plan on getting a Wii they will interact with one another unlike the AGT (new sp). Also, a lot of games are set up so you only need one copy to play multiplayer with friends or whomever else has a DS light near by. And then there is always the online aspect of things, the future Opera browser, etc.

Either way yes the new screens on the SP are a lot better than the old ones. It's definitely a great thing..

You're probably aware of most up and coming titles, but what kind of games are you into? If you like puzzle games the newest release, Magnetica is pretty addicting.

danny_w
Jun 3, 2006, 07:32 PM
Nice purchase.. not to sway you in anyway and you probably are aware of all of this. But the DS is going to offer you so much more. The games are better. You can still play the GBA games. The amount of games being produced is far greater for the DS. And if you plan on getting a Wii they will interact with one another unlike the AGT (new sp). Also, a lot of games are set up so you only need one copy to play multiplayer with friends or whomever else has a DS light near by. And then there is always the online aspect of things, the future Opera browser, etc.

Either way yes the new screens on the SP are a lot better than the old ones. It's definitely a great thing..

You're probably aware of most up and coming titles, but what kind of games are you into? If you like puzzle games the newest release, Magnetica is pretty addicting.
Yes, I am aware that the SP can't play the newer DS games, but I have just never been sold on the whold idea of the second screen and the stylus. I like mainly RPG games, and the DS just doesnt have any decent titles right now, and so doesn't buy me anything. The SP can play all of the old GBC and GBA games, however, which should keep me busy for quite some time to come. Maybe someday they will come out with a DS games that I just must have, but nothing right now interests me.

EDIT: And after seeing this screen, I can't believe I spent so may hours on the old one!

devilot
Jun 3, 2006, 07:40 PM
Bummer, I went to my local Target just to see if I could see it... but alas, they didn't have it out for display. I also attempted to see if they'd sell it early. :p No luck. :D

DEXTERITY
Jun 3, 2006, 10:12 PM
I think after you play a few games you will really like it. There are some really great DS games and you actually have the option to use the stylus or not on most games. The new Super Mario brother doesn't use it at all except for to pick an item when u have one.. But yeah if you're more into RPG's then I can see what your saying. Enjoy the SP and that screen is a life saver. It makes you wonder how you ever played on the old one..

In regards to the Target not having the interactive out yet, it is going to take roughly a month for all stores in a particular area to have their interactives upgraded. Each one takes 30 minutes to 1.5 hrs to retrofit..

2nyRiggz
Jun 3, 2006, 10:37 PM
Nope...no store selling them early around these parts....that sucks!

Bless

DEXTERITY
Jun 3, 2006, 11:19 PM
Most likely you won't see anymore stores breaking street date. Corporate handled that issue as soon as the reports of store breaking street date started.

Trowaman
Jun 4, 2006, 12:18 AM
Question

you say they are fixing up the targets and wal-marts, etc but what about Toys r Us?

I happen to work at one and plan on purchasing a DS Lite the day they come out, but when do we, probably the most Nintendo friendly of the stores (TOY store), get our new displays?

GFLPraxis
Jun 4, 2006, 01:28 AM
Yes, I am aware that the SP can't play the newer DS games, but I have just never been sold on the whold idea of the second screen and the stylus. I like mainly RPG games, and the DS just doesnt have any decent titles right now, and so doesn't buy me anything. The SP can play all of the old GBC and GBA games, however, which should keep me busy for quite some time to come. Maybe someday they will come out with a DS games that I just must have, but nothing right now interests me.

EDIT: And after seeing this screen, I can't believe I spent so may hours on the old one!

Let's look at the upcoming releases list.

Final Fantasy III DS, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, Xenosaga I & II DS, Dragon Quest Monsters, Dragon Quest Rocket Slime, Baten Kaitos DS, Children of Mana DS, Lunar Knights.

Whee.

cycocelica
Jun 4, 2006, 01:33 AM
Its probably time to sell my PSP and buy a DS. The PSP just sits around being charged.

Moshiiii
Jun 4, 2006, 07:30 AM
7 Days

Ahhh, I'm going to target today and I'm gonna see if I can work my magic. I've got the DPCI number for the DS Lite and I guess if I try to locate a guy with the scanner gun. Ask him the location of an Nintendo with the certain DPCI number he might go get me one.

I went back to wallmart last night to see if I could trick a non-manager, no success. She said "Yeah some guy came in here and bought three of them!" (which was my friend), I said I knew him and she fed me some BS story that they are defective and they need to be returned/shipped back to nintendo.

DEXTERITY
Jun 4, 2006, 08:20 AM
Question

you say they are fixing up the targets and wal-marts, etc but what about Toys r Us?

I happen to work at one and plan on purchasing a DS Lite the day they come out, but when do we, probably the most Nintendo friendly of the stores (TOY store), get our new displays?

yes, definitely TRU stores will have them. I had one too many things going on in my head. Even some Kmarts.

Chundles
Jun 4, 2006, 08:52 AM
This must be the only time something has come out here before the US, they've been here about a week or so now. Nice looking little things, definitely a better design than the original DS, I've only seen the white one and the finish reminds me of my 3G iPod ie. very sleek and stylish.

Moshiiii
Jun 4, 2006, 11:08 AM
Target trick didn't work. The kid knew better than to sell it to me. Oh-well I got a few GBA games to play until Sunday.

cyberdogl2
Jun 4, 2006, 09:40 PM
one more week!!!

Bubbasteve
Jun 4, 2006, 10:00 PM
There was a playable demo of the New Super Mario Bros. in a DS Lite at a local Target Superstore...needless to say I went right for the thing and started playing. I'm extremely impressed with the screen's brightness and the overall size of the machine. The design of the DS Lite screamed "Apple"...which of course is a good thing.

I can't wait to get my DS Lite come June 11

sam10685
Jun 5, 2006, 12:40 PM
there's are going to sell incredibly fast. (hopefully not sell out...)

Moshiiii
Jun 5, 2006, 02:44 PM
Six Days!

My co-workers got theirs early from Walmart (They wont sell them early anymore tho). They look so great! Cant wait to get mine. Heres a photo of both of theirs and a comparison to my Gameboy Micro.

sb58
Jun 5, 2006, 02:53 PM
i really hope i can get one Sunday... if not, i'll be prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreetty pissed. like punch a hole in a wall pissed.

AJ Muni
Jun 5, 2006, 03:01 PM
All this DS lite hype is really sticking to me and I think i'm going to be buying one this sunday. The only reason I'm doubtful about it is that I got into this same hype for a sony psp, and it ended up just sitting there. I just sold it about 1 month ago. I think it was the games that didnt really attract me. But i've always been a huge fan of mario kart, and the mario series. Also that brain age game looks real cool. Any1 wanna play devil's advocate?

Also 2 questions to those who kno about it...

1) Any word on battery life?
2) Does it have a calendar? Can it be used as a semi-pda?

Moshiiii
Jun 5, 2006, 03:13 PM
Also that brain age game looks real cool. Any1 wanna play devil's advocate?

Go for it. One of the persons DS Lite's in the picture has never sat down and beat a video-game, this is his first system he ever bought. He was attracted by the gadget like appearence of the DS lite. He bought Mario Kart DS, Trace Memory & Brain Age this weekend, it was satisfying seeing him play Mario Kart today (almost disturbing). Also I got a good laugh at him yelling at Brain Age.

I owned a PSP for a few months also and I never played it, but there isnt a week that goes by that I don't pick up my DS for a mini gamming session. DS Lite has the games to appeal to "hardcore" gamers or casual gamers.

shadowmoses
Jun 5, 2006, 03:16 PM
I was wondering if you guys know if the DS lite's are going to sell out in the US soon after release, because i'm travelling to New York next Monday and plan to pick one up.....What are the chances I'll be able to stroll into a vide games store and pick one up?

ShadoW

Moshiiii
Jun 5, 2006, 04:20 PM
I was wondering if you guys know if the DS lite's are going to sell out in the US soon after release, because i'm travelling to New York next Monday and plan to pick one up.....What are the chances I'll be able to stroll into a vide games store and pick one up?

ShadoW

I'd say a good chance, the only people that are going to pick one up RIGHT when it comes out would be the hardcore Nintendo DS'ers who want to upgrade.

cyberdogl2
Jun 5, 2006, 04:23 PM
six days!

AJ Muni
Jun 5, 2006, 04:25 PM
1) Any word on battery life?
2) Does it have a calendar? Can it be used as a semi-pda?

Any1 kno?

cyberdogl2
Jun 5, 2006, 04:31 PM
the battery life is just as good as the original ds, which means it's more than the psp. To be exact, I'm not sure. But I left my ds in my drawer for 2 months, and it still held up when I grabbed it to play on the way to Rosarito. It has a calendar but no PDA calendar functionality. There are, however, a lot of homebrew software out there. One is bound to have good calendar functionality someday.

GFLPraxis
Jun 5, 2006, 04:32 PM
Battery life is great. It does have a calender, but exactly like the regular DS- you can't save notes or anything, no PDA capability.

AJ Muni
Jun 5, 2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys, I'm really leaning into getting one now...

paddy
Jun 5, 2006, 05:00 PM
A bit of a thread hijack here but anyway, I'm getting my Lite June 27th what game(s) should I get with it? I'm thinking Mario Kart or Metroid. I've no wifi for the summer so which is better without it? I'm also thinking of an Advance game any suggestions?

GFLPraxis
Jun 5, 2006, 05:27 PM
A bit of a thread hijack here but anyway, I'm getting my Lite June 27th what game(s) should I get with it? I'm thinking Mario Kart or Metroid. I've no wifi for the summer so which is better without it? I'm also thinking of an Advance game any suggestions?

Mario Kart I'd say. Metroid is good but Mario Kart is better.

Tetris DS is great fun in multiplayer.

Advance Wars is a startegy game that'll keep you going for AGES.

zap2
Jun 5, 2006, 06:09 PM
That Lite looks nice, but i'll get the next DS as i'm still playing soem GBA games(and the fact i have a plain old DS)

Moshiiii
Jun 5, 2006, 06:39 PM

I'd pick Mario Kart over Metroid if you won't have Wi-Fi acess. Metroid one player is lacking, to be honest. Hmm and Advance games, thats alot of good games to think off! I currently bought Drill Dozer because of the hype it got from my friends and its growing to be my favorite platform game. Also I just bought Final Fantasy IV this weekend and that game seems great!

DEXTERITY
Jun 5, 2006, 06:42 PM

ShadoW

Our world store in Manhattan is going to open up on Midnight to sell pre-orders only. Not sure if you can get it at midnight without pre-ordering it..

sam10685
Jun 6, 2006, 02:25 AM
i really hope i can get one Sunday... if not, i'll be prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreetty pissed. like punch a hole in a wall pissed.

wont that hurt? nintendo will make more after launch day. i'm going to try really hard to get a Wii on launch day but if i don't, yes, i'll be pissed, but i'll also think to myself "eh... more power to nintendo." i'll wait a few weeks.

risc
Jun 6, 2006, 02:38 AM
Finally picked mine up today. I was already to pick it up on the 1st but I got hit by a car. D`oh! I love the thing the old DS is craptacular compared to the Lite!

edit: Lite pr0n
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/8434/ds0ho.th.jpg (http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/8434/ds0ho.jpg)

Moshiiii
Jun 6, 2006, 12:29 PM
Five more days...

paddy
Jun 6, 2006, 12:37 PM
Five more days...

21 for me.

Dagless
Jun 6, 2006, 01:36 PM
21 for me.

18 for me, I think.

18 days for eBay to refund my listing fee due to scam buyers and to sell my PSP, 3rd time lucky! £250 I should get, what with the extras. Thats a DS Lite and then some! maybe a 2nd hand GB Micro. definitely trying to pick up Castlevania DS after falling head over heels in love with the GBA prequel.

AJ Muni
Jun 6, 2006, 02:06 PM
Well I just bought one off ebay for $150 from some dude who got an extra one in VA. $15 more than original price, but hey atleast i get it latest by this friday, and i dont have to run around town on sunday. I'll post pics when i recieve it.

P.S. I chose UPS 2nd day air and bought it today, any1 have an idea when i should recieve it by, if seller ships by today, tomm. latest?

BurtonCCC
Jun 7, 2006, 06:03 PM
4 days.

I'm so excited. I haven't owned any video game consoles in so long.

My Mario Kart and Mario 64 DS games came today and my Zelda: LTTP GBA game came a few days ago.

I hope the EB Games opens at midnight, because I'm going to have a hard time waiting through church to pick it up...

Daniel.

sethypoo
Jun 7, 2006, 11:46 PM
Holy cow I am SO excited. I'm pulling a total fanboy high right now (don't worry, no illegal substances were used :)). I pre-ordered it through Amazon about three weeks ago. If they ship it out on Monday the 12th, I should have it by Thursday the 15th. I so can't wait!

I won Mario Kart DS on eBay a few weeks back in preparation for the DS Lite's arrival. I've been looking at the case for weeks now and I can't wait to play it. Next, I'm getting the New Super Mario Bros., and Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

Go Nintendo!

sethypoo
Jun 7, 2006, 11:48 PM
Does anyone know if Amazon ever ships a pre-ordered item early so it arrives close to the release date? Has anyone heard about the demand for these in the US? I know they were very popular in Japan when they came out on March 2nd. I hope my order doesn't get delayed.

shadowmoses
Jun 8, 2006, 01:44 AM
Does anyone know if Amazon ever ships a pre-ordered item early so it arrives close to the release date? Has anyone heard about the demand for these in the US? I know they were very popular in Japan when they came out on March 2nd. I hope my order doesn't get delayed.

Yup they sometimes do, you have a good chance of recieving it earlier than the 15th....

ShadoW

Trowaman
Jun 8, 2006, 02:33 AM
I've mentioned this before, but I work at a Toys R Us and we got ours in on our last truck, total of 54 pretty looking polar white models. They were in our case ready to sell this morning.

Then our manager noticed and said they had to go and be placed back in the store room. I talked to him at lunch on if I could get one now, denied. At least I tried.

So, if you are in the Clear Lake, TX area that's the status at Toys R Us Baybrook.

Dagless
Jun 8, 2006, 03:46 AM
I'm gonna buy myself a Japanese white DS Lite off eBay. sealed - £80. a whole £20 cheaper than the price they'll be here. frankly Black Lite can jump out the window for £20.

GFLPraxis
Jun 8, 2006, 10:06 AM
GameStop received the shipment while I was there. He let me hold one of the boxes :D

cyberdogl2
Jun 8, 2006, 10:09 AM
three days

Dandaman
Jun 8, 2006, 10:31 AM
i just put in an order to amazon.com and paid for overnight shipping. I don't need it on the 11th, but I am going on a trip to Chicago next week and hope to have it by then.

daniel

MacRumorUser
Jun 8, 2006, 10:39 AM
I'm gonna buy myself a Japanese white DS Lite off eBay. sealed - £80. a whole £20 cheaper than the price they'll be here. frankly Black Lite can jump out the window for £20.

But isnt the post £29 to the UK making it 109?

sethypoo
Jun 8, 2006, 10:40 AM
Yup they sometimes do, you have a good chance of recieving it earlier than the 15th....

ShadoW

Oh boy, now my hopes are really up. I hope you're right!

sethypoo
Jun 8, 2006, 10:57 AM
So here's an update as to what's happening over at Amazon: my ship date is currently July 21, 2006 - July 24, 2006 :eek: :( . There's a big discussion going on on the Nintendo DS Lite product page as to why it's listed this way. Right now, a few people are saying that Amazon does this often, and almost always the pre-release product will ship on or soon after the release date. Regardless, if June 11th comes and goes and my delivery date doesn't change, I'm canceling my order.

AJ Muni
Jun 8, 2006, 11:15 AM
I'll have mine by tomm @ noon, see post #150. I'll post pics...

Dagless
Jun 8, 2006, 11:45 AM
But isnt the post £29 to the UK making it 109?

nope! some guy is selling them cheap-ish, but you need to email him first to be put on the purchase list. something I might do if my dreaded PSP sells to scammers... again!

MacRumorUser
Jun 8, 2006, 12:05 PM
nope! some guy is selling them cheap-ish, but you need to email him first to be put on the purchase list. something I might do if my dreaded PSP sells to scammers... again!

oooo? for 20??? I wouldnt risk it. I was scammed for over 2000 Euro once on ebay :o Never again....

JDOG_
Jun 8, 2006, 12:40 PM
oooo? for 20??? I wouldnt risk it. I was scammed for over 2000 Euro once on ebay :o Never again....

Why even use eBay at this point? We are so close to a system release, if you can just wait a few more days you'll be able to buy it from an actual retailer and get that sweet return policy + not paying out the ass. I honestly don't think you'll have a problem picking one up. Nintendo delayed the release specifically to produce as much hardware as possible for a launch.

eBay is for new hardware releases= suckers.

MacRumorUser
Jun 8, 2006, 01:46 PM
Why even use eBay at this point? We are so close to a system release, if you can just wait a few more days you'll be able to buy it from an actual retailer and get that sweet return policy + not paying out the ass. I honestly don't think you'll have a problem picking one up. Nintendo delayed the release specifically to produce as much hardware as possible for a launch.

eBay is for new hardware releases= suckers.

I wasnt going to use ebay, just refering to Jimmi :)

I have one on pre-order locally and will be trading in my old DS against the new model anyway. :)

2nyRiggz
Jun 8, 2006, 02:56 PM
I'm going to try my luck and just walk into EB/gamestop and see if i can pick one up.

Bless

GFLPraxis
Jun 8, 2006, 04:28 PM
I'm going to try my luck and just walk into EB/gamestop and see if i can pick one up.

Bless

They won't sell them.

Apparently Wal-Mart got in trouble according to the manager of my local GameStop, so GameStop will have more DS Lites because Wal-Mart's supplies are being routed to them.

He was surprised Wal-Mart didn't get fined, but you don't want to tick off the almighty Wal-Mart.

AJ Muni
Jun 8, 2006, 06:50 PM
Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9xpN-GTLjo&search=ds%20lite) a pretty cool review of the DS Lite...

DevilDog
Jun 8, 2006, 07:45 PM
YESSSSSS!!!!

Finally found my MarioKart... I thought I put it in my Metroid Hunters box but when i went to look I accidentally looked in my Metroid PINBALL box... YES! Sorry, but that just made my day. Hey, who here has the most DS games? And who was faithful enough to get the original DS at midnight? I've got... 21 cartridges.

sb58
Jun 8, 2006, 08:02 PM
Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9xpN-GTLjo&search=ds%20lite) a pretty cool review of the DS Lite...
wow... the guy who made that is actually a member of the Cheatplanet forums:
http://forum.cheatplanet.com/index.php?showuser=58065

sethypoo
Jun 8, 2006, 10:38 PM
YESSSSSS!!!!

Finally found my MarioKart... I thought I put it in my Metroid Hunters box but when i went to look I accidentally looked in my Metroid PINBALL box... YES! Sorry, but that just made my day. Hey, who here has the most DS games? And who was faithful enough to get the original DS at midnight? I've got... 21 cartridges.

I own exactly one Nintendo DS game, and no Nintendo DS.....yet. What is the one game I own? Mario Kart DS, of course. Now I just need my Nintendo DS Lite to complete the package.

AJ Muni
Jun 8, 2006, 11:02 PM
I have New Super Mario bros. just sitting on my desk. I cant wait to get it in tommorow. I was amazed on how small the cartrideges are, and I'm thinking of buying brain age and mario kart

2nyRiggz
Jun 8, 2006, 11:17 PM
I own six games as of today and no DS

MP: hunters
Kirby canvas curse
New super mario
Mario Kart
Brain age (got it today..yayy)
Tetris DS

soneone suggest a game for me...a game that take advantage of the stylist though.

Gamestop here i come..

Bless

devilot
Jun 8, 2006, 11:20 PM
This thread is horrible. I am officially lusting after this DS Lite although I've never owned any gaming set up. ARGH! :o :D

2nyRiggz
Jun 8, 2006, 11:24 PM
^I've seen all the Youtube DS lite clips now i'm just waiting like a kid.....

Bless

DevilDog
Jun 8, 2006, 11:35 PM
soneone suggest a game for me...a game that take advantage of the stylist though.
Dude, Advance Wars: Dual Strike is beyond phenomenal. WarioWare Touched is real fun... but I don't know about replay value. Plus it's great to show to your friends all the functionalities of the DS. Metroid Pinball is a great Pinball game...

cycocelica
Jun 9, 2006, 01:00 AM
OT, but how closely related is Super Mario 64 DS to Super Mario 64 for N64? I am going to pick up a DS Lite and this is one of the games I am considering. Is it any fun?

srobert
Jun 9, 2006, 08:15 AM
From a reader of DS-X2 (http://ds-x2.com/index.php?id=5321):

GameStop and EB Games are going to authorize DS Lites to be sold first come first served REGARDLESS OF PREORDERS ... please, PLEASE warn your USA readers about this.

Darkuni claims to have a source within GameStop who he got the information from. More information on the matter can be found over at Monroeworld.

Shameful is true.

GFLPraxis
Jun 9, 2006, 09:48 AM
I don't believe it. GameStop has been REALLY careful since the XBox 360 fiasco, where they took Microsoft's estimates, promised pre-orderers they'd give them systems, then Microsoft delivered less than promised and they were forced to tell people to wait. Hurt their credability a lot- that's why they haven't begun taking preorders on PS3 or Wii yet, they're waiting for confirmed shipping numbers.

However, because they're getting some of Wal-Mart's supplies, GameStop now has more Lites than originally expected. They should be able to sell some off. If you have a pre-order, expect to have a Lite.

Dagless
Jun 9, 2006, 10:12 AM
OT, but how closely related is Super Mario 64 DS to Super Mario 64 for N64? I am going to pick up a DS Lite and this is one of the games I am considering. Is it any fun?

They took Mario 64 and added more. just that really, more characters, more levels (not big levels, just little 'uns). Minigame rabbits you have to catch. the minigames themselves, which are gooood.

Speaking of which... think I'll try and beat that final castle in Mario Bros DS. another good game you might want to pick up. or Castlevania if you like your platforms with a little more adult theme.

Yvan256
Jun 9, 2006, 10:48 AM
DS Lite today!

Must not buy.... Need to wait... for blue one.... :eek:

Cannot.... resist.... buying... urge... Looks.... like... a... small.... macbook...

sethypoo
Jun 9, 2006, 10:57 AM
Cannot.... resist.... buying... urge... Looks.... like... a... small.... macbook...

Lol, that's it! That's what I've been thinking of, in my subconcious. I can't wait either! :D :D :D :D :D

PlaceofDis
Jun 9, 2006, 10:58 AM
i can't wait for my pre-order to ship from EB Games. argh... the wait is horrible! :p

2nyRiggz
Jun 9, 2006, 04:21 PM
Dude, Advance Wars: Dual Strike is beyond phenomenal. WarioWare Touched is real fun... but I don't know about replay value. Plus it's great to show to your friends all the functionalities of the DS. Metroid Pinball is a great Pinball game...

WarioWare it is.....not liking Advance Wars....anbody gonna mod(or whatever it is) there DS lite?

Anbody heard of a trick that can make your original DS have the same level screen as the lite?

Bless

Dagless
Jun 9, 2006, 04:33 PM
WarioWare it is.....not liking Advance Wars....anbody gonna mod(or whatever it is) there DS lite?

Anbody heard of a trick that can make your original DS have the same level screen as the lite?

Bless

Yup, take your DS into Game and give the nice people just £60 instead of 100. you get a nice new White or Black DS Lite.

... I don't think its possible without replacing the screens.

2nyRiggz
Jun 9, 2006, 04:44 PM
^Check Youtube out on configuring the DS screen.....i'm not sure of it either but it is interesting.

Maybe i was up too late..

Bless

DevilDog
Jun 9, 2006, 05:19 PM
riggz, Advance Wars is amazing. At least go pick up a used copy of Advance Wars 2 for the GBA and check that out. Then you'll want Dual Strike.

I think the quality of the screen is better, not just more juice being pumped into the backlight. It's like the Old SP screen vs. the New SP screen.

And I think the "SUPER MARIO 64 DS" graphics are much crisper and sharper than the Nintendo 64's graphics.

.... My bad bubba.

Bubbasteve
Jun 9, 2006, 05:30 PM
And I think the Mario 64 graphics are much crisper and sharper than the 64's graphics.
come again?

.Andy
Jun 9, 2006, 05:44 PM
As an Aussie they've been out here for ages :rolleyes:. Seriously they're not even cool here anymore - completely yesterday's gadget. Eveybody has one now and the shops are full of them - you could walk in and buy two dozen in just about any games store. The Lites are just the status quo. J/K the wait must be absolutely killing you guys. The last couple of days is definitely the worst ;).

AJ Muni
Jun 9, 2006, 06:36 PM
Well I got mine in today. I must say i'm impressed. Im currently playing the new super mario bros, and bought mario kart like 5 minutes ago. but im completely new to this ds. never had one b4. any1 kno how to adjust the brightness??? yes im that much of a n00b...

DevilDog
Jun 9, 2006, 06:49 PM
Main Screen > VERY bottom left > Tap

AJ Muni
Jun 9, 2006, 07:00 PM
what if im playing i game, how do i exit to the main screen?

Dagless
Jun 9, 2006, 07:08 PM
what if im playing i game, how do i exit to the main screen?

You don't. If you have it to boot up automatically then remove any games and turn it on. if it's in Manual mode then you should be ok to just boot the DS up and make it brighter.
personally I'd just leave it on the top brightness :) though you probably risk blindness.

sethypoo
Jun 9, 2006, 08:18 PM
Yes! Just to let you all know, Amazon shipped out my Polar White Nintendo DS Lite today (June 9th, 2006). The weird thing is the "estimated delivery date" they give in the shipping confirmation email they sent me: the "expected arrival" date is given as June 15th, but further down the email, it says "estimated delivery date" is July 24th. I have no clue, but I'm really hoping that it is June 15th, or sooner.

Who knows. The USPS tracking number they gave me only reads that a shipper sent USPS electronic information that they would be shipping a package to me soon.

DevilDog
Jun 9, 2006, 10:36 PM
Hey, could anybody her take several pics of the Lite next to a PSP? I looked around for some and all I could find was Cabel's review... I'm looking for them stacked, side by side, standing up, everything. Just found out I'm taking a plane flight on Sunday!!! I'll have the Lite with me! Yeah

chairguru22
Jun 9, 2006, 10:44 PM
Hey, could anybody her take several pics of the Lite next to a PSP? I looked around for some and all I could find was Cabel's review... I'm looking for them stacked, side by side, standing up, everything. Just found out I'm taking a plane flight on Sunday!!! I'll have the Lite with me! Yeah

http://ds.thenetbox.com/2006/01/31/ds-lite-vs-psp-size-comparison/
the DS lite is so sweet... would match my macbook too. but its $130 for the same system pretty much... alas.

DevilDog
Jun 9, 2006, 10:47 PM
http://ds.thenetbox.com/2006/01/31/ds-lite-vs-psp-size-comparison/
Thank you sir.

plinkoman
Jun 9, 2006, 10:55 PM
I just went into ebgames today to buy metroid and pay for the rest of the ds lite. sunday, all I need to do is walk in, give them my phone number, and walk out with a box in my hand. I can't wait. :cool:

chairguru22
Jun 9, 2006, 10:59 PM
I just went into ebgames today to buy metroid and pay for the rest of the ds lite. sunday, all I need to do is walk in, give them my phone number, and walk out with a box in my hand. I can't wait. :cool:

what ebgames do you go to? and whats your phone number? :D

a stained sky
Jun 9, 2006, 11:54 PM
do you guys think 24 hr wal-marts will start selling ds lite at midnight?

im hoping so

DevilDog
Jun 10, 2006, 12:06 AM
That's where I got my first DS (Wal-Mart). There actually ended up being like 7 or 8 people there for it. Kind of surprised me... The thing is though all the people that work there are kind of stupid and don't really know what's going on... You'd like have to tell them that it's new and is supposed to come out tonight at midnight. They'd be like..."okay, let me check with my manager..."
Luckily, one of my friend's dad is THE manager of our supercenter. :D

DevilDog
Jun 10, 2006, 12:08 AM
I just saw a very fitting kick-a$$ ad for the DS on gamespot!

It goes something like this:

You want to upgrade your DS
So while you're at it you should upgrade your dad's brain.
Buy a copy of Brain Age and give it to your dad with your old DS for father's Day! LMAO!!!

DeSnousa
Jun 10, 2006, 12:14 AM
This is great Nintendo Australia is advertising the new DS lite and Mario Bros. Great to see :D

A lot of my hardcore gaming mates who reckon the PSP is so sleek, love the DS design.

Nintendo are doing all the right stuff in the market at the moment, their getting a new market (the biggest) and are still attracting the gamers :)

DEXTERITY
Jun 10, 2006, 12:27 AM
From a reader of DS-X2 (http://ds-x2.com/index.php?id=5321):

Shameful is true.

They are not authorizing sales on a first come first serve basis. They are honoring the reserves. I know most Game Stop stores are receiving an extra 12. If a particular store has roughly 35 reserved they will have around 4 or 5 extra to sell.

In regards to Toysrus, I know of one who received 235. They are a top volume store so they may have received more than other TRU stores. I haven't been in any other Toys-r-us stores to see what type of quantities they have.

I dont think Target received that many. If I was told correctly the few stores I was in only received around 30 or so. But I didn't look into that much so those numbers may be off..

DevilDog
Jun 10, 2006, 01:02 AM
Hey guys, need some advice:

Buy at midnight at Wal-Mart.
-or-
Wait till like 6-7 p.m. to buy it on AirForce Base tax-free.

I'd save like 10 bucks...

Dandaman
Jun 10, 2006, 03:02 AM
wooooo, just got an email from amazon saying that they shipped it out on the 9th and it should arrive on monday. Don't really care about getting it on the 11th, just as long as i get it early next week before my trip next weekend. Although, it would be nice to get on saturday....

daniel

Dagless
Jun 10, 2006, 04:48 AM
This is great Nintendo Australia is advertising the new DS lite and Mario Bros. Great to see :D

A lot of my hardcore gaming mates who reckon the PSP is so sleek, love the DS design.

Nintendo are doing all the right stuff in the market at the moment, their getting a new market (the biggest) and are still attracting the gamers :)

And they're doing this with their next home console too :cool:
hello market share!

Dagless
Jun 10, 2006, 04:49 AM
Hey guys, need some advice:

Buy at midnight at Wal-Mart.
-or-
Wait till like 6-7 p.m. to buy it on AirForce Base tax-free.

I'd save like 10 bucks...

Play the waiting game. It's always good. The things you'll do to pass the time :)

So you're a Marine who wants to drive out to Wal-Mart at midnight for a handheld games machine? God I love us humans :D

MacRumorUser
Jun 10, 2006, 05:00 AM

UK advertising is wih Chris Tarrant (Who wants to be a milionare) voicing over shots of Brain Age.

Obviously Nintendo aiming at non gamers too.

Dagless
Jun 10, 2006, 05:57 AM
UK advertising is wih Chris Tarrant (Who wants to be a milionare) voicing over shots of Brain Age.

Obviously Nintendo aiming at non gamers too.

That's who it was! I couldn't put my finger on the voice over. Cheers for that. I knew it was a quiz show guy but Noel Edmonds didn't fit.

Trowaman
Jun 10, 2006, 08:29 AM
In regards to Toysrus, I know of one who received 235. They are a top volume store so they may have received more than other TRU stores. I haven't been in any other Toys-r-us stores to see what type of quantities they have.

Just to reiterate, the Toys R Us I work at, best selling one in the Houston area, 54 total in stock and ready to go tomorrow. We started doing pre orders yesterday, and apparently I was the ony person to try and pre-order one. Also, I am the only employee that reall seems to want one, no one else cares.

I'll be trying to pick one up when we close tonight, despite the fact that I get off at 6:30.

DevilDog
Jun 10, 2006, 10:08 AM
So you're a Marine who wants to drive out to Wal-Mart at midnight for a handheld games machine? God I love us humans :D
LMAO!!! That was GREAT!!!
-Future- Marine

Nintendo's just always been a hobby. I just love the company. And it's what I grew up on.

smackifilia
Jun 10, 2006, 12:31 PM
Does anyone know if you could play games released in the US on a DS from Europe? More specifically a black DS from Europe? :) I know its not the case with most consoles.

DEXTERITY
Jun 10, 2006, 01:38 PM
Just to reiterate, the Toys R Us I work at, best selling one in the Houston area, 54 total in stock and ready to go tomorrow. We started doing pre orders yesterday, and apparently I was the ony person to try and pre-order one. Also, I am the only employee that reall seems to want one, no one else cares.

I'll be trying to pick one up when we close tonight, despite the fact that I get off at 6:30.

Totowa NJ is a top volume store and received a lot more. It is also closer to your corp. office so that may have something to do with it.

paddy
Jun 10, 2006, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know if you could play games released in the US on a DS from Europe? More specifically a black DS from Europe? :) I know its not the case with most consoles.

Indeed you can, they're region free.

Dagless
Jun 10, 2006, 03:23 PM

Aye it's just different packaging. The UK DS game boxes are thicker with translucent white plastic, with a the side "NintendoDS" text being 1/3 bigger. The US ones being slimmer and black. games themselves are fine. perfect and dandy. just be sure to give me your Stars ;)

thegreatluke
Jun 11, 2006, 08:18 AM
0 DAYS! YAY!

I had mine pre-ordered last month. Hopefully I'm one of the 'genuine' pre-orders ;)

I bought New Super Mario Bros. yesterday. Where I live it's been sold out EVERYWHERE. I wanted to make sure I got it because I imagine today games are going to be sold quickly (along with DS lites). I got the last in the store at Best Buy :)

I'm getting my DS in about fourish hours (after fellowship). I'll tell you guys about it when I have it.

Dagless
Jun 11, 2006, 08:32 AM
I'm seeing names in this thread that I haven't seen in the games forum before.

Yvan256
Jun 11, 2006, 12:37 PM
Okay, I was mistaken about the "june 9th" release date...

I live in Canada, eh? So the DS Lite is coming out TODAY (for me)!

To buy or not to buy... I don't carry my DS around since it's too big, and it's next to impossible to hold it while playing Metroid Prime Hunters while still being able to push all the buttons and all...

Well, I bought one. The shell is the same style as an iPod: white plastic with transparent plastic on top of it. Gives it a better look, less toy-ish. The design is, as most people keep saying, almost Apple-like.

The directionnal pad is exactly the same size as the GameBoy micro. The buttons feel like the GameBoy micro too. I really hate the start/select buttons (too small), but then again I don't remember the last time I used those for DS games.

The screen is the same brightness when at "level 1" as the old DS, level 4 is bright enough for outside play (IMHO), I'm using level 2 for indoor (it's bright enough). Not sure, but I think the LCD looks better too, brightness aside. Kind of like (again) the GameBoy micro (haven't seen the GBA SP rev 2 screen).

Oh, last detail: I don't know if my old DS had a hardware defect, but the volume control was really touchy when used with headphones... From silence to almost half volume in about 2mm! The DS Lite corrects that little problem.

thegreatluke
Jun 11, 2006, 12:54 PM
Okay, I got mine today.

It's amazing.

The screen is really bright - it's awesome.

Gameplay graphics are similar in quality to N64.

During cutscenes, though, they're more of a smoother, Gamecube quality.

It comes with two styli, one in the DS lite and another in a different package in the box. Another nice thing Nintendo did was to have it fully charged in the box.

The only annoying thing about it, though, is that you have to reset the system every time you go into options. Even if you don't change anything. But that's a very, very minor inconvenience. Also, the back has a bunch of crap on it. Not very Apple-esque in style, but it's still awesome.

9/10. :)

sethypoo
Jun 11, 2006, 03:00 PM
I'm seeing names in this thread that I haven't seen in the games forum before.

I think that's exactly what Nintendo wants: to get people who are not normally into video games interested in them. You can count me amoung those people, as I used to play a lot, but then fell away. It feels good to come back.

jiggie2g
Jun 11, 2006, 05:44 PM
Finally got my DS lite today and the design is beautiful , it looks like a Mini iBook/MacBook when closed and just as tough. The screens are brighter then the PSP and don't seem to have any ghosting. I just wish Nintendo do would have atleast gone atleast 320x240 on the top screen. would have been perfect to run old Sega Genisis , SNES maybe even Neo-Geo games.

I sold my PSP yesterday so I could buy a DS Lite today , I had my PSP for about 6 months and it collected dust for about 5 , the games on PSP suck and thanks to the Proprietary crap like MS DUO , UMD the Mulitmedia stuff is crippled. Plus battery life is too short , console itself is too friagile.

Seems these things are seelling like crazy , good thing i pre-ordered on friday . they are all out of non pre-order DS Lites at GameStop(8th st. manhattan store). I also bought New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart. Both are great.

sethypoo
Jun 15, 2006, 02:12 AM
I got mine too! It was delivered USPS (preordered from Toys R Us through Amazon.com) on Monday, but I was at work, so I didn't pick it up until Tuesday morning.

I absolutely love it. Flawless design, clean lines, just the right amount of heft. The screens are gorgeous, and incredibly crisp. Just to confirm, the Nintendo DS Lite screens are slight smaller than the older DS. I don't think it's the screen itself that's smaller, but the border around each screen is smaller. I know this because I ordered some Hori Nintendo DS screen protectors from Amazon.com, and they don't fit.

Anyway, I have Mario Kart DS right now, and am loving that. I like how the DS Lite is so small, it fits so easily in my pocket or backpack, and I know the screen won't get scratched because it closes (a major design flaw the PSP has, in my opinion). I plan on buying New Super Mario Bros. for my girlfriend, and getting Advance Wars: Dual Strike for myself. Rock on Nintendo!