Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2006
Edinburgh
Will wireless mice work with the macbook, without using the receiver(due to the frontrow rf).?
eg, the logitech lx5..

or is it better to get a bluetooth mouse.?

kevin.rivers

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2005
You have to use a reciever. The RF for front row is only for the remote and is not available for the mouse to connect to. Someone may hack it in the future, but as of now I don't think you can do it.

Basically you have to use the included reciever.

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
Yeah, I do, don't get the Microsoft BT mouse. Absolutely no functionality and it gets dropped from reception an awful lot. I think I spent more time attaching my USB mouse to get it working again(and I did that for 6 months!).

Macer

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
I have the Apple bluetooth mouse and it's brilliant, best mouse i ever owned.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I use both the Apple Bluetooth Mouse (at work) and the Logitech MX900 (at home). I like them both. The Apple Mouse uses regular AA batteries and lasts a long time while the Logitech uses rechargables (meaning you'd have to drag around the base for charging, even if, like me, you're using the bluetooth on your Mac to connect to the mouse) which need to be recharged every few days.

The Logitech has more buttons however, and while not officially supported on a Mac, the buttons can be mapped to Exposé functions, and that works quite well.

I'd say, if you're looking for something you can throw in your laptop bag to use on the road, I'd go with the Apple mouse, unless you need the functionality of additional buttons.

JurgenWigg

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Baltimore
any suggestions for gaming BT mice? I'm kind of wary of the lagtime of other wireless mice.

Anyone use the Kensington Pilotsomething mouse?

debrey

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
Chicago
I've noticed that some BT mice are rechargable and some aren't. I know that would matter a lot to me.

The Kensington looked nice to me... I was tempted. But I haven't used it.

-- David

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
debrey said:
I've noticed that some BT mice are rechargable and some aren't. I know that would matter a lot to me.

The Kensington looked nice to me... I was tempted. But I haven't used it.

-- David

Better to get rechargeable AAs. This way I give my batteries full charges and full drain, extending their life. Since getting this charger for my AAs for my mouse, I have actually stopped throwing away batteries for a number of things. I think that you'll find recharbeable batteries are really the better option.

As for the Apple BT mouse, I think it is absolutely fantastic, and far more responsive than the Microsoft BT mouse I had.

Cheers!

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
The Logitech has more buttons however, and while not officially supported on a Mac, the buttons can be mapped to Exposé functions, and that works quite well.

That sounds brilliant. I've got an MX518 on my PC and it's easily the best mouse I've ever owned. Very solid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.