PDA

View Full Version : WOW- just seen a flying mount in game

Jason_Bryan
May 31, 2006, 12:51 PM
Not sure how you get it but while playing wow today I talked to a player with a flying mount.

Josh
May 31, 2006, 01:44 PM
Flying mounts will only exist in the expansion, The Burning Crusade.

Even then, they will not work as typical mounts do. You will not be able to use it anywhere, and just fly wherever you like.

Flying mounts will only work in the new continent of Outland, and their only purpose will be to reach areas needed for quests that you wouldn't be able to reach any other way.

Unfortunate, since it seemed like a very cool idea, but understandable nonetheless.

It looks like you saw someone riding a gryphon, as flying mounts won't be available in Auberdine (or any place for that matter until the expansion).

iHeartTheApple
May 31, 2006, 01:50 PM
Yep. Burning Crusade will give us the option to have flying mounts. What you saw was a lag bug...it's actually pretty common. We've had horde come into Ironforge (I'm alliance) on their bats and sit right in front of the bank for all to see! :D But we'll have real ones soon enough...

CJM
May 31, 2006, 07:51 PM
Thats a common bug... I'm actually suprised they haven't fixed it. I've not seen it for a while.

Happens when you get lag at a Flight Master.

The Burning Crusade's flying mounts are said to be Nether dragons or some such beast. From WC3 lore, a Nether dragon is a blue or purple glowing spectral creature.

Josh
Jun 1, 2006, 10:18 AM
Here's a video that shows some of The Burning Crusade.

You can see the new alliance race, slotted items (REALLY cool!), and the flying mounts:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2470743016637893959&q=flying+mounts

Sdashiki
Jun 1, 2006, 10:38 AM
When I was a GM on a private server, giving access to everything in the game.

There were flying mounts just like this.

http://www.wowguru.com/db/items/forors-fabled-steed-id20221

I cant find a pic yet, but I used it. It was a purplish dragon and moved like it was flying (ala Falcore style) but it only floated a foot or so above the ground and didnt go anywhere a normal mount couldnt.

being a GM ruined the game, at least on a private server, because I could give myself all the cool items without working.

Abulia
Jun 1, 2006, 11:18 AM
What the heck is a "private server" in this context?

Sdashiki
Jun 1, 2006, 11:24 AM
A server that runs on someones home computer and not on Blizzards million dollar servers.

Since the world is on your computer, as a client, and the only thing the server sends you is the item/character/NPC/quest information (XML), then a private server can be used.

So someone has these XML files on their home machine, runs a WoW server (not 100% sure how) and you just change your login portal to their IP, and you are in "their" world.

because its XML based, private servers arent even close to real, because in real WoW worlds GMs roam the game keeping it clean and always updating the XML with new quests and locations for monsters, EACH AND EVERY spawn point is a line on the XML....to copy the retail servers to a private is near impossible.

I could be pretty off with my explanation but thats how it worked for me.

colocolo
Jun 1, 2006, 11:33 AM
A server that runs on someones home computer and not on Blizzards million dollar servers.

Since the world is on your computer, as a client, and the only thing the server sends you is the item/character/NPC/quest information (XML), then a private server can be used.

So someone has these XML files on their home machine, runs a WoW server (not 100% sure how) and you just change your login portal to their IP, and you are in "their" world.

because its XML based, private servers arent even close to real, because in real WoW worlds GMs roam the game keeping it clean and always updating the XML with new quests and locations for monsters, EACH AND EVERY spawn point is a line on the XML....to copy the retail servers to a private is near impossible.

I could be pretty off with my explanation but thats how it worked for me.

In other words, an illegal server.

TDM21
Jun 1, 2006, 01:04 PM
In other words, an illegal server.

You would be correct.

Josh
Jun 1, 2006, 02:06 PM
Private servers often have ridiculous settings, allowing players to level beyond 60, have insane stats, jump super high, run really fast, etc.

There's been people on private servers soloing MC, just for an example of how "unrealistic" it is in comparison.

Uma888
Jun 2, 2006, 06:06 AM
Private servers often have ridiculous settings, allowing players to level beyond 60, have insane stats, jump super high, run really fast, etc.

No, Thats just GM's in the private servers. they usually spwan with every weapon imaginable. when you complain you get banned.

Sdashiki
Jun 2, 2006, 10:28 AM
no some servers have crazy settings set globally.

fast EXP etc.

yes its an "ILLEGAL" server, but in essence its "not". You bought the game to be able to have the client, so Blizz got some $. And you are NOT, most certainly NOT, getting the online experience you would if you were on Blizz's servers. Thats a given.

I played on a Private Server because I wanted to see some crazy stuff in WoW. And I did. I got to see MC before it was done etc etc. I got to fight Onyxia by myself....it was about exploration, not about being another way to play WoW as an MMORPG, cuz a private server is more like a Mini-Online RPG.

It can be fun to try them out, just so you can see stuff you wouldnt normally see until lvl 60.

gamer2k
Jun 2, 2006, 05:53 PM
Sounds fun. Maybe a Mage could actually kill stuff on a private server. :p

There's been people on private servers soloing MC, just for an example of how "unrealistic" it is in comparison.