Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TEG

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I remember reading something after MWNY '02 that said that the 20GB iPod was built with two 10GB HDs and had RAID style software so they appeared as one drive. This accounted for the extra depth of the 20GB over the 5 and 10. Can anyone confirm this. If true, Apple could be making a slimmer iPod with a singular 20GB, and have the possibility of releasing an 80GB iPod with two 40Gigs.

TEG

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: iPod 20GB Question

Originally posted by TEG
I remember reading something after MWNY '02 that said that the 20GB iPod was built with two 10GB HDs and had RAID style software so they appeared as one drive. This accounted for the extra depth of the 20GB over the 5 and 10. Can anyone confirm this. If true, Apple could be making a slimmer iPod with a singular 20GB, and have the possibility of releasing an 80GB iPod with two 40Gigs.

TEG

I don't know where you got that but I am pretty sure someone was sniffing glue. The 20GB iPod would be much thicker and overall larger in all dimensions if they did that. Also the power consumption would go through the rough and the thing would have a melt down fromt he heat build up.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
It does indeed use only one 20GB drive. The 20GB drive is a bit thicker than the 10GB and 5GB models, but Toshiba recently released a new 20GB drive that is the same thickness of the 10GB and 5GB models. So, Apple will most likely move to the thinner 20GB drive in the update that should be here anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.