PDA

View Full Version : Classic (CRT) iMac to be Discontinued?

MacRumors
Feb 20, 2003, 02:34 PM
Looprumors.com (http://www.looprumors.com) claims that the Classic iMac (CRT) will be discontinued by late summer, leaving the eMac as the only CRT Mac.

straphound
Feb 20, 2003, 02:53 PM
It is about time that they put the CRT iMac out of its misery. For a few hundred more you can get a G4 eMac. Can anyone say that this is a suprise?

rainman::|:|
Feb 20, 2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Floop
First post!

i hope you get kicked off the boards for that.

but i know you won't. arn is too benevolent.

still. you're an idiot.

more on subject-- bye bye, CRT iMac. it's been a good ride, but you should have died a year ago--

pnw

beez7777
Feb 20, 2003, 03:01 PM
i'm surprised it even lasted this long. i can't imagine that it's been selling too well with the introduction and then price reduction of th eMac. farewell.

davy the bunny
Feb 20, 2003, 03:07 PM
agreed. It seems long overdue, but I should hope that none of us have ill will towards the G3 iMac as it departs (if it departs, that is).

jethroted
Feb 20, 2003, 03:11 PM
Those things are useless anyways. G3's, come on. This should have happened when the new imacs came out.

straphound
Feb 20, 2003, 03:12 PM
I don't know...Maybe keep it around, reduce the price, and sell it as an internet appliance. For a lot of people that is probably all that they need. The occasional document or speadsheet and internet access. Sell if for $399 and watch 'em fly off the shelves!

davy the bunny
Feb 20, 2003, 03:20 PM
or sell them with the aquarium conversion kit or something (http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/macquarium/index.html)

MacFan25
Feb 20, 2003, 03:22 PM
I think that it is about time for it to go.

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 20, 2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by jethroted
Those things are useless anyways. G3's, come on. This should have happened when the new imacs came out. Useless ? Give me a break. My Wife is on hers everynight. Sure it may not do well on the altivec enabled stuff but it still does everything she needs or wants and more at the moment. Its time as a new unit has come to the end since apple decided on not improving it anymore. Still think the emac is a ugly sucker compared to the original imac. The new imac blows both of them away but thats a whole nother story.

davy the bunny
Feb 20, 2003, 03:59 PM
I don't know about blowing them both away. . .

My 700 mHz G4 eMac still benchmarks better than the a 800 mHz G4 iMac in my local Apple Store. Same RAM (256 MB) on both and I stopped all the start-up items on both. . . I'm just sayin'. . .

jethroted
Feb 20, 2003, 04:03 PM
Saddam uses windows? We should kill him.

Aciddan
Feb 20, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by straphound
For a lot of people that is probably all that they need.

I think that, because we're mac owners we sometimes live in 'macville' when it comes to what consumers want.

Let me elaborate before I get totally flamed ;)

Consumers NEVER buy just what they need. We're all caught up in an insatiable power-lust that drives us to buy bigger and better.

I don't think that the CRT iMac can really survive in today's market and it's a wise move by Apple to push it out the bottom of its stack.

I just hope they can push something onto the top that with sate the lust (for a little while ;) ) and push down the other macs to more competive price points (in Oz, an eMac costs between 2k and 3k - getting it down to the $1500 mark where the iMac is would make the apple a lot more competitive)

thus ends my morning rant - time for coffee

-- Daniel, buying a bluetooth adapter today to sate his t68i/iSync lust =)

Anne
Feb 20, 2003, 04:17 PM
I do think that there is a market for lower power lower priced machines, and it's not surprising that the opinion on a specialized message board like this is somewhat skewed.

My mom uses her G3 imac for checking her email, very light web surfing, and some basic word processing. That's about it. Oh, and I installed Snood a few years ago and I think she sometimes plays that. She really doesn't need a more powerful computer, and doesn't have a lot of money. I know that she cannot be alone in this. There are plenty of people out there who use their computers for a much more limited variety of functions than many of us do, and who either do not have the money or are not willing to spend the money on a more expensive machine. Truthfully, I think that only offering more powerful and more expensive machines is kind of ripping off these customers. People who donn't the power of more expensive machines should have a choice to buy less expensive and more barebones machines.

Of course, that's the point of view of a consumer, not a business. And heck, my mom won't need a new computer for *years* anyway. :D

gotohamish
Feb 20, 2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Useless ? Give me a break. My Wife is on hers everynight. Sure it may not do well on the altivec enabled stuff but it still does everything she needs or wants and more at the moment. Its time as a new unit has come to the end since apple decided on not improving it anymore. Still think the emac is a ugly sucker compared to the original imac. The new imac blows both of them away but thats a whole nother story.

You're so damn right. My mum used a G3 333 beige tower with Apple Studio Display, and it's all she needs, and more.

I wouldn't mind replacing it with the CRT iMac - it's SO much better looking than the eMac.

Centris 650
Feb 20, 2003, 04:19 PM
::sniff, sniff:: :(
Well, I remember when the RevA came out. I was BLOWN AWAY! I called my Apple reseller and impatiently waited...for about 2 months. It's still in use for internet stuff and Appleworks though it desperately needs some more ram!

I think the iMac CRT should have died right before the Flower Power/Blue Dalmation. Ugh! :rolleyes: :p

Goodbye CRT iMac. It was fun.

mymemory
Feb 20, 2003, 05:13 PM
I like the CTR iMac, it is a good machine, it is perfect for anybodys mom:D

backspinner
Feb 20, 2003, 05:24 PM
it's perfect for my girlfriend: it's quiet, it's small, it's beautiful, it fits on her desk

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 20, 2003, 05:33 PM
I think apple could put in a geforce 2mx a 700 g3 and sell it at wallmart for $659 and do that for a year or 2 to intoduce mommies & kids to the apple world. Hey you could still get os x, iphoto, imovie,itunes etc. the only thing you cant really do is hard core gaming. big deal if this site is any representation most users dont want to game( NOT ME ) all they want is email,and surf the net. And my reference earlier was to the 1 giger imac, sweet sweet sweet.

straphound
Feb 20, 2003, 05:34 PM
While I agree that many people would be put off by the speed of the CRT iMac many people would not know better or care how fast it is, they would just see that it is inexpensive. When I worked at a local computer store (who sold Macs as well) the best selling machines where piece of junk 300 celerons that were under $400. They were slow and unreliable but that didn't seem to stop anyone. I guess what I mean is that speed isn't everything. I just bought my first mac a few weeks ago. It is a May 2002 revision combo 700 iBook that Microcenter had on special for $899. Granted my PC whoops on it speed wise but I have not touched my PC in the three weeks since buying the iBook!!! :D

howard
Feb 20, 2003, 06:15 PM
right now only middle to upper middle class people can really afford a mac...if apple lowered there prices a ton on the imacs and just kept them good enough to run in os x then i think it would open up a huge percent of people.

jkojima
Feb 20, 2003, 06:17 PM
I think apple could put in a geforce 2mx a 700 g3 and sell it at wallmart for $659

Good idea! The iMac's original purpose was to create a new market category in computing - that of the easy to use, inexpensive computer for new or casual users. The concept of selling through WalMart is a good one when you're talking about that market segment.

Can I add to your suggested technical specs? Put in a digital media reader right in the front bezel for effortless connectivity with digital cameras, and partner with a printer manufacturer (Epson? HP?) to offer a cheap, matching photo-capable colour inkjet.

Anybody here remember the old Mac LC that Apple enabled with a TV tuner and sold as the MacTV (or some name like that)? Why not plop in a DVD/CD-RW combo drive and a TV tuner, up the price to be at the high end of the Wal-Mart computer scale, and sell it as a digital hub appliance?

rainman::|:|
Feb 20, 2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by jkojima
Anybody here remember the old Mac LC that Apple enabled with a TV tuner and sold as the MacTV (or some name like that)? Why not plop in a DVD/CD-RW combo drive and a TV tuner, up the price to be at the high end of the Wal-Mart computer scale, and sell it as a digital hub appliance?

It was an LC 500 series unit, only domestic desktop Mac to be black (black used to be common in other countries, tho). Those things kicked ass. i really wish Apple would write another TV tuner for OS X...

i agree that Apple might do well to get cheap units out there, but they would and will never sell products at walmart. apple has an image to maintain. that's why ipods are at target :)

pnw

Bozola
Feb 20, 2003, 07:57 PM
I am surprized that people think these g3 imacs are 'dead' I have 4 of them.. one running 10.2 and 3 @ 9.2. I have no complaints. True, I do not do 'games' (I have a game cube for that). But it's plenty snappy.

They also seem to be holding their values ok.. if you check powermax and small dogs..

Bozola
(First post, like anybody cares)

rjrufo
Feb 20, 2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel

i agree that Apple might do well to get cheap units out there, but they would and will never sell products at walmart. apple has an image to maintain. that's why ipods are at target :)

pnw

I agree that Apple should sell cheap Internet/Digital Lifestyle appliances, and since you brought up Target, why not sell them there? If they sell it in the $599-799 range, I'd bet that they sell quite a few.

They already sell the iPods, so why not the iMac?

Skelator
Feb 20, 2003, 08:41 PM
No one has noted that lcd's still aren't perfect and in many ways can be down right ugly. I cant play games on my friends 15 in flat imac becasue all the colors look washed out and if you look at the screen from even a slightly odd agle you throw the contrast off. I understad the emac is still around but I hope apple doesn't abandon the crt entirely.

weev
Feb 20, 2003, 09:13 PM
You pack of miserable bastards!

My Graphite 500 imac is my friend, leave her alone. Sure she aint new and fresh and plays in the X lounge but she is still a marvellous computer.

In fact I'd say the crt imac is one of the best mac computers ever! (and I've owned 7) As a cheapy computer its a dream! I bought mine second hand for $A1700 and made many times that in graphics work. One of the best investments I've ever made. I have at least six months use before I even reconsider entering powermac heaven (too noise with old chip now).

LONG LIVE THE IMAC. She will not rest in peace cause there's a lot of life in this machine yet.

voicegy
Feb 20, 2003, 10:00 PM
Speaking for the education market, it's been a Godsend for us to still have the old iMac as an option, and it was smart of Apple to keep them available for as long as they have. They're damn good little machines, perform their function well, are easy to move from one place to another, and look clean as a whistle.

However, I can confirm as well that before the end of the year (possible summer, then start out the new school year without it as an option) the old form iMac will, indeed, be no more.

Our figures show that over 70% of new Mac purchases are the eMac, and it makes sense given the speed increase, etc. So the purchases are dictating the life.

Personally, I detest the eMacs, and am looking forward to a redesign. They weigh a ton. They're hard to grab and move around. I can never find the power switch. And they're just plain dorky and somewhat "bloated" looking.

So, here's to a redesigned, lower priced G4 all-in-one CRT solution. Or, something even better!
(But I'll miss you, old iMac. Your debut was fantastic, and you blew away the world and brought Apple back from the brink, not to mention those GREAT colors!)

Inunyan
Feb 20, 2003, 10:17 PM
In Japan, they stopped selling new G3 iMac about a month ago. Apple Japan also took it out from their eStore
http://store.apple.com/0120-APPLE-1/WebObjects/japanstore/

Very sad - since I also think eMac is ugly.

kansaigaijin
Feb 20, 2003, 11:51 PM
really? I still see lots in Sofmap / Yodobashi camera here in Kansai.

cut the price way down! they are perfectly adequate for most people.

I see lots of PCs for sale in the bargain basement price range, and the imac is so much more convenient.

PyroTurtle
Feb 21, 2003, 12:13 AM
put a good graphics card in there and you have the iBook right? what games can't you play on the iBook? just turn the graphics down! keep the Classic iMac, make it super cheap, and sell a ton of them! then you can market it to almost anyone...my friends iBook runs every app we throw at it, not lightning fast, but it works...point being, that as long as the G3 gets updates (which IBM is doing still) then put them in that snow crt thing and keep selling it!
unless they've abandoned it and are just sellign what was in stock...very very slowly....

heck, my 233 iMac (Rev A!) even plays Giants and Medal of Honor, we're not sure how, but it does...

Interiority
Feb 21, 2003, 03:31 AM
Here in the UK, the G3 iMac is the only truly affordable consumer Mac - not to mention being a design classic and the computer that practically saved Apple. I recently replaced my Mum's Rev B iMac with a new Snow 600MHz. I hope it continues for many years - ideally with some fast graphics, one of those speedy new IBM G3s and a nice low price.

In comparison, the eMac has all the aesthetic panache of a slapped bottom. Are you listening Mr Ive?

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 21, 2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by voicegy
Speaking for the education market, it's been a Godsend for us to still have the old iMac as an option, and it was smart of Apple to keep them available for as long as they have. They're damn good little machines, perform their function well, are easy to move from one place to another, and look clean as a whistle.

However, I can confirm as well that before the end of the year (possible summer, then start out the new school year without it as an option) the old form iMac will, indeed, be no more.

Our figures show that over 70% of new Mac purchases are the eMac, and it makes sense given the speed increase, etc. So the purchases are dictating the life.

Personally, I detest the eMacs, and am looking forward to a redesign. They weigh a ton. They're hard to grab and move around. I can never find the power switch. And they're just plain dorky and somewhat "bloated" looking.

So, here's to a redesigned, lower priced G4 all-in-one CRT solution. Or, something even better!
(But I'll miss you, old iMac. Your debut was fantastic, and you blew away the world and brought Apple back from the brink, not to mention those GREAT colors!) 70 % didnt know they were selling so many, where you get those numbers? Agree with a lot of what you said about that thing but if Lcd imacs continue to drop in price would you need the emac?maybe they should make a model that isnt so gigantic but still inexpensive like taking the best of imac classic and the features of the emac and roll into one unit that sells for 800 bucks? I wonder what that arm on the imac costs? $50-75 bucks?This is going to be a interesting year for all macs.

wrylachlan
Feb 21, 2003, 11:11 AM
Cut the CRT iMac, Drop the pricing on the eMac, and keep dropping the price instead of upping the processor, so that the gap between eMac and LCD iMac becomes more pronounced. That's the direction I think apple will take. The eMac will take over the low end.

bennetsaysargh
Feb 21, 2003, 07:31 PM
i think the CRT iMacs should stick around for a while longer because schools still use them heavily. all my whole school district uses them for is basic (and i mean really basic) office and occasional educational games for the 2nd and 3rd graders. not to mention all some people need is just something to check email, visit sites and chat.

and the eMac looks like a CRT iMac dropped a few times with a G4 chip and better graphics card. i would have no problem with the eMac going away.

neonart
Feb 21, 2003, 08:35 PM
Why mess with a perfectly good product? I think they can match the entry level iBook specs for the current $799 price. Maybe even throw in a slow CDRW?
Like it's been said here a bunch of times, lots of people lust hi tech, but many just go with the cheap stuff.
How many PC users say "PC's are faster than macs", but use some crappy eMachine? As long as you have more customer base, you may sell other products to them.
I was reintroduced to Macs after several years of absence with the iMac. Since then I've bought more than 10 machines for home and work, plus have "converted" many. All because of that cheap iMac.

Freg3000
Feb 21, 2003, 09:27 PM
Use it as bait to get everyone hooked. Sell it for $499 and develop all those low-level angry PC users into loyal Mac users. Easy stuff Apple. :)

neonart
Feb 21, 2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Use it as bait to get everyone hooked. Sell it for $499 and develop all those low-level angry PC users into loyal Mac users. Easy stuff Apple. :)

DEAD ON!

Pepzhez
Feb 21, 2003, 10:41 PM
Whoa! Don't diss the CRT imac! For the cost/performance ratio, the DVSE 500 mHz was the best G3 machine Apple ever produced. (And the graphite the best looking computer ever made!) And, damn are they built like a tank.

I have two of 'em - switched out the stock HDs with 80 GB 7200 rpm drives, maxed out the RAM and running OS 10.2 - and they more than hold their own today.

Yes, I use the dual gig G4 set-up for serious video and audio work, but the imacs are used daily as well. One is mostly for internet use and the other - well, let me tell you what these machines are absolutely fantastic for:

I have dedicated one of the imacs as a music player, running itunes on OS 10.2 and the entire 80 GB drive for sound files. I use an M-Audio USB digital to analog audio converter to plug the output directly into the stereo system, so there is no compromise in sound quality. (Oh, and since I don't have a TV in the music room, this very same imac is good for occasional DVD viewing as well.)

The CRT imac is fanless and dead quiet - a MUST if one is going to use a computer as a serious (or even listenable) music player. (Plus, the graphite DVSE looks damn good!) Now let's see anyone do THAT with jet engine fans in Dells and, yep, even any current Apple G4 offering.

Mark my words, the CRT imacs are going to become highly sought after in audiophile circles for this purpose alone (they are already catching on big right now). There are simply NO OTHER computers period that are this quiet and well-made.

job
Feb 21, 2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Pepzhez
The CRT imac is fanless and dead quiet - a MUST if one is going to use a computer as a serious (or even listenable) music player.

Dead on.

Who really needs a dual 1.42Ghz. machine to run iTunes?

My iMac has become a pure digital jukebox.

Fanless, quiet. Perfect. ;)

Les Kern
Feb 21, 2003, 11:50 PM
Fine. Time to move on. And it won't be the eMac either.

kansaigaijin
Feb 22, 2003, 07:29 AM
indeed they are looking a little lonely i the shops, and eMacs are taking a lot more display space.

17" powerbook has still not shown up, just the cardboard mockup, doesn't do it justice I am sure.

Flickta
Feb 22, 2003, 12:49 PM
eMac compared to iMac CRT is just ugly.

and prices... it is always painful to visit Apple's sites. Something you can never get used to. :(

Skelator
Feb 23, 2003, 11:33 AM
I'll say it again LCDs still looks bad I wouldn't buy a flat panel imac simply on the grounds that LCD's drive me crazy. It would be a poor move on apples part to only offer LCDs as high end monitor options. (except the 23 in HD display that thing is fantastic!)

Griffindor73
Feb 23, 2003, 01:29 PM
They should keep it for a bit longer- but it does need an upgrade- 600Mhz does sound slow. Lets face it, many people don't realise that apple have replaced it with a new version of the iMac and many people still say to me 'oh, I'd like one of those coloured iMacs!" D'oh!

liloconf
Feb 25, 2003, 05:49 PM
be nice, i use my imac snow everyday. Its got 2 sticks of 512, a burner, and a decent hard sized hard drive (40 gigs). im running 10.2.4 on it, photoshop, imovie, and divx movies all play fine on it. I set up a external firewire dvd drive and that runs fullscreen too with no probs. So don't knock it, its old it will be replaced, but it is still better then an e machine :)

GeneR
Mar 25, 2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by jethroted
Saddam uses windows? We should kill him.

That's pretty funny. heh heh