PDA

View Full Version : gamecube backup

sinbushar
Jun 1, 2006, 01:21 PM
just a quick question about backing up gamecube games

wouldn't it be feasible to copy the image from a disc and record that same image to another disc and retain the game data?

like to a dd copy from the terminal and then burn it from the terminal?

this is for backup purposes, i'm not paying 50 dollars for a game to lose it due to a miniscule scratch

-adel

Dagless
Jun 1, 2006, 01:39 PM
GC games are $50? I'm not american but that sounds like 360 prices too me.
I recommend taking better care of discs. They'll last you forever *looks at albums from 1992 and my first CD burnt in 1996*, or until those grooves wear out.

srobert
Jun 1, 2006, 01:44 PM
Not sure if it's possible but it's probably not worth the effort.

Gamecube disks are very hard to damage due to their significantly smaller mass. (not as much impact when dropped, lighter = harder to scratch, less damage from flexing, doesn't bend when taken out of the case, etc…)

Are the dimensions of a gamecube disk the same as those of one of those mini-cds on the PC?

JDOG_
Jun 1, 2006, 01:47 PM
Well, a bit of a technicality really...but even if you do back them up successfully, you're going to need a mod chip (google search: viper + GCN) to be able to play the discs back on the system.

There are also quite a few ways to "hack" the GC, like modding the top to play standard sized DVD discs, as well as adding 3rd party ethernet hardware...just explore man. Since that platform is very nearly dead there are plenty of options to change the way you play.:D

plinkoman
Jun 1, 2006, 02:21 PM
is it really that hard to keep a disk in good shape? all my gamecube games are in perfect(literally) shape, as well as all my cd's, dvd's, etc...

if it's that hard to keep it in good shape, then no, don't spend $50 on it. :cool: :rolleyes:

eva01
Jun 1, 2006, 02:23 PM
I haven't spent 50 dollars on a gamecube game in a very long time.

Just buy used games.

GFLPraxis
Jun 1, 2006, 02:59 PM
just a quick question about backing up gamecube games

wouldn't it be feasible to copy the image from a disc and record that same image to another disc and retain the game data?

like to a dd copy from the terminal and then burn it from the terminal?

this is for backup purposes, i'm not paying 50 dollars for a game to lose it due to a miniscule scratch

-adel

No, the data is written to the disk differently, you need hacked DVD drive drivers to do that. And worse, you need a GameCube modchip for the GameCube to read DVD-R's.

GFLPraxis
Jun 1, 2006, 03:00 PM
GC games are $50? I'm not american but that sounds like 360 prices too me.
I recommend taking better care of discs. They'll last you forever *looks at albums from 1992 and my first CD burnt in 1996*, or until those grooves wear out.

GC games are $50, XBox 360 games are $60.

crachoar
Jun 2, 2006, 12:45 PM
I love how you guys hardly answer the questions being asked...

OP, there is a way to play your backups using 'Phantasy Star Online' and the broadband adapter. Basically, you FXP the disk image to the Gamecube and stream it from your PC. It's kind of crazy, but it's the most common method and there's plenty of information on it. Google search for the 'PSO' streaming trick, and you should find at least one way to do what you want to do.

Hope that helped a little.

greatdevourer
Jun 2, 2006, 01:37 PM
I love how you guys hardly answer the questions being asked...

OP, there is a way to play your backups using 'Phantasy Star Online' and the broadband adapter. Basically, you FXP the disk image to the Gamecube and stream it from your PC. It's kind of crazy, but it's the most common method and there's plenty of information on it. Google search for the 'PSO' streaming trick, and you should find at least one way to do what you want to do.

Hope that helped a little. The problem with that is that because of that, it got pulled off the shelves at the exact same time everyone wanted a copy. Hence, they go for £30 on eBay 2nd hand, when all other games are £20 max.

Dagless
Jun 2, 2006, 01:43 PM
I've heard bad things about streaming though. I've never tried it myself, just little echoes floating around.
And it was answered. 4th post in. Viper modchip.

greatdevourer
Jun 2, 2006, 01:52 PM
I've heard bad things about streaming though. I've never tried it myself, just little echoes floating around.
And it was answered. 4th post in. Viper modchip. Or the Qoob (I think that's how it's spelled)

jdechko
Jun 2, 2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah, the Viper Mod chip is probably the way to go.

Standard computer DVD drives won't read the disks, so you have to have some way to stream the data from the gamecube to your PC.

Dagless
Jun 2, 2006, 03:49 PM
There is a way to burn to Mini-DVD's, and to have the Cube read them. I think the Viper allows this. Not entirely sure.
One can guess that the Wii will follow suite. Only have the discs spin the other way too, and read from the outer edge in.