PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360

JennyV
Jun 1, 2006, 02:45 PM
I was wondering, does any one know of a site where i can sell something [moderator edit], it doesent let me post in the marketplace I guess becuase i donot meet the posting requirements

Thanks

jenny

SilentPanda
Jun 1, 2006, 03:03 PM
Try eBay or any other various auction sites. You can also try a local gaming store that sells used games/consoles.

srobert
Jun 1, 2006, 03:36 PM
Try eBay or any other various auction sites. You can also try a local gaming store that sells used games/consoles.

I personally like the local gaming store. You won't get as much money but it's much more simple than dealing with auction sites. (Time, shipping, dealing with buyer, possible problems in transit, etc…)

Stores like EBGames will give you bonus cash if you bring in more games at a time (5, 10, etc…)

Only thing with stores like EBGames is that they will only give you store credit and not actual money. It's usually not an inconvenience for someone posting in a game forum. ^_^

Best of luck

JDOG_
Jun 1, 2006, 05:37 PM
Craigslist dude.

Set a fair price and you'll almost certainly sell it in a day or two.

Don't mess with eBay, don't mess with game shops (supporting the evil empire)...private party is the best way (cuts out the middle man & speeds things up for both people).

Good luck.

Sell a core for like $270 & a Premium for $350 and they should go quick.

Compatiblepoker
Jun 1, 2006, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I've seen craiglist on tv before but never gone there. Ebay is a joke with all the fees. Honestly, I dont even feel safe using eBay with all the freakin scammers out there. My brother got boned out of $1000 using ebay.

JDOG_
Jun 2, 2006, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I've seen craiglist on tv before but never gone there. Ebay is a joke with all the fees. Honestly, I dont even feel safe using eBay with all the freakin scammers out there. My brother got boned out of $1000 using ebay.

Well craigslist is easy as pie...no signup...no fees...just post something, it gets e-mailed for you to verify and any responses come to your e-mail through an anonymous e-mail address craigslist assigns you. You'll probably set a meetup over the phone or via e-mail. Just do the sale in public and you'll be fine.

If you're really worried about selling something, you probably shouldn't be doing it. :rolleyes:

I've used craigslist dozens of times and it's never failed to work flawlessly. People are usually happy to be getting the deal and you are happy to get rid of whatever you're selling.

Sdashiki
Jun 2, 2006, 12:10 PM
DONT EVER BRING STUFF, UNLESS ITS GARBAGE, TO AN EBGAMES RHINOGAMES OR THE LIKE.

You will be ripped off hardcore.

Here is an example:

"Hi, Id like to know the cost of a used XBOX."

"Sure, $180"

this is when the xbox was about $200+ in the store

"Are you sure thats for a used one?"

"Yup, used is $180"

"Ok, how much if I brought you a used one would you give me?"

"Bring in a used one, you get $80"

"$80!? Are you ****en serious!? You are gonna tell me that Im pretty much GIVING you $100? Are you basing this off its modability i.e. that certain versions are easier and thus can cost more?"

"Thats our price for a used XBOX trade in, we dont care how old it is so long as it works."

"What if I goto Best Buy next door, buy a BRAND NEW Xbox. Then I goto my car, open it, and bring it to you. Ill only get $80?"

"Yes"

I turned around, spoke to the other people in the store like I was on a soapbox and said.

"GO HOME! THESE PEOPLE ARE CROOKS! $180 for a ****en USED XBOX? $80 for a trade-in? *** YOU PEOPLE"

yes thats a quote, at least the last one is, the rest is kinda my recollection.

They will take 2 of your used games, sometimes more like 5, in exchange for only ONE!

Its a huge ripoff, everything in those stores.

srobert
Jun 2, 2006, 12:22 PM
Well, to be fair, I can understand why EbGames (and co) have a single price per console policy. They don't want to waste an hour arguing with each kid that walk into their store about how much their console is actually worth.

The reverse can be true. For me it's not worth wasting a few hours to get a better price on games/consoles. (Writing classified, answering emails, waiting for someone to come and pick it up or arrange for delivery, arguing on prices, etc…)

I could make more money by working those few hours than by trying to get a better price for my second hand stuff with an individual.

It's a matter of taste. Personally, I prefer the no-hassle guaranteed version.

Sdashiki
Jun 2, 2006, 12:25 PM
At the time:

Retail XBOX $200 or so

Used EBgames XBOX - $180

Tradein value - $80

To me, regardless of haggling, its a HUGE gap they are making in profit. And $20 from new to used is a pathetic attempt at getting people to even consider buying a used one. For $20 more you get brand new with warranty!

its one thing to give me $30 for my DreamCast console and then turn around and sell it for $50. $20, thats cool. But $100? Gimme a break, sheer greed.

saunders45
Jun 2, 2006, 12:31 PM
Agreed. That's why you need to try to find the Mom and Pop stores. They are almost always better, and actually care about their customers. Word of mouth brings in business for them, not sleeping with G4.

srobert
Jun 2, 2006, 01:02 PM
its one thing to give me $30 for my DreamCast console and then turn around and sell it for $50. $20, thats cool. But $100? Gimme a break, sheer greed.

Well, I'm not defending them and I would very much get more for my used games. But, from another viewpoint, they make almost zero profit on new consoles and only a marginal one on video games. I can hardly blame them for trying making some money on the used stuff.

I don't know how much they give you back on the consoles in Canada (I never sold a console). But, you get about 50% of the listed price for games. This coupled with the extra bonus cash you get by selling 'em 5 or 10 at a time makes for a fair enough price. Plus, it's hassle free ^_^

I like thier credit card. It gives you a nice discount on used games.

JDOG_
Jun 2, 2006, 01:24 PM
Considering this thread has turned into a "Why (game store) is bad" thread. It's worth bitching about the fact that the majority of the time you go into a mass market games store, you've got a staff of people who aren't really gamers, but sales people who are trying to push whatever credit card, game, pre-order, membership card corporate is.

There's a good insider's view of these chain stores from an ex-employee here (http://popcultureshock.com/features.php?id=1159).

srobert
Jun 2, 2006, 01:33 PM
Wow. That sounds awful. I'm starting to think that EBGames aren't operated the same way in Canada than in the US. I've been told by the staff when a game "sucks". They also never tried to screw me off of my deposit on pre-ordered games even tough I tend to pick 'em up a little late.

One of the thing I don't like about my EBGame is that the staff is constantly changing. Somethime they're a bunch of annoying-don't-want-to-deal-with-you-go-away-cosole-biased-holier-than-space-pope morons. Right now, they're a great bunch. They know about their games, they aren't console biased and they are very friendly.

Another thing that I don't like about my EBGames is that there is no way you can get a game on the day it is released unless you had it pre-ordered. They also won't keep stock of new copies of older games. It's hard finding a new copy of a yeard old game unless it's a blockbuster.

I also go to a more "pop and mom" kind of store but it's a little farther. I like the place very much. They even keep a lot of very old consoles for sale (Original NES, Coleco, etc…). That place is second to none for old games. You should see their selection of SNES and N64 cartdriges. They even have a ROB in stock :D