PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Episode 1

harveypooka
Jun 1, 2006, 05:50 PM
Just started playing...looks damn good to me. Everything is running on full on my iMac Core Duo 20" 1.5GB 128MB x1600, using the Omega Drivers. Only thing that's weird it some text, namely the loading window is garbled. Also some keyboard options are garbled too. Bit weird, not sure what this is. Screenshots enclosed.
Edit: These jpeg's are compressed also, to 50.

Dagless
Jun 1, 2006, 06:09 PM
I'll be getting me a slice of Episode 1 action come Monday. deadline for all my work. so I'll treat myself. Can't wait :)

howard
Jun 1, 2006, 06:51 PM
is this coming out for regular xbox??

as soon as I finished HL2 on xbox all I could think was...I...WANT......MORE!!!!!!!

harveypooka
Jun 1, 2006, 06:52 PM
I think it's using HDR throughout as well. For instance, I'm in a tunnel and it's pitch black. I switched the flashlight on and the light illuminates, if you shine it directly at Alyx's face she blocks the light and frowns! Also, if you let the light battery run down she says "We really must speak to Dr Kleiner about getting a new battery for that flashlight". Oh man, they've really put in some neat details with this episode. Worth $19.99, or about 10. Really, you're gonna love it! I will keep posting with nice details, but no story breakers...

harveypooka
Jun 1, 2006, 06:54 PM
is this coming out for regular xbox??

as soon as I finished HL2 on xbox all I could think was...I...WANT......MORE!!!!!!!

Who knows? It's available via Steam and on CD from today. I see no reason why they won't bring it out...what was HL2 like on the xBox? I saw some screenshots and apparently they'd lowered the texture quality...

mode
Jun 1, 2006, 07:16 PM
I came here hoping someone running Episode One on a Mac would post their impressions. Guess I was right!

Yeah, Episode One uses full High Dynamic Range lighting throughout the game, as well as depth of field and some other neat engine trickery. That's great to hear that you're running the thing with all the video settings cranked to the max, especially with not even 2GB and the 128MB version of the x1600 GPU!

How is it performance wise with those settings on? What sort of frames per second readouts are you getting, during standstill parts and while you're battling ("net_graph 1" in the devconsole)?

mode
Jun 1, 2006, 07:18 PM
Who knows? It's available via Steam and on CD from today. I see no reason why they won't bring it out...what was HL2 like on the xBox? I saw some screenshots and apparently they'd lowered the texture quality...
Yeah, I had Half-Life 2 for the Xbox for awhile. While I think that Valve did an amazing job porting it to what amounts to four-year-old hardware with 64MB of dedicated VRAM, quite a bit of visual sacrifice had to be made to do it.

I do hear though, Howard, that Valve is supposedly bringing Half-Life 2 to the Xbox 360, as well as all three of the scheduled Episodes. I think you're out of luck with the old hardware, unfortunately.

howard
Jun 1, 2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I had Half-Life 2 for the Xbox for awhile. While I think that Valve did an amazing job porting it to what amounts to four-year-old hardware with 64MB of dedicated VRAM, quite a bit of visual sacrifice had to be made to do it.

I do hear though, Howard, that Valve is supposedly bringing Half-Life 2 to the Xbox 360, as well as all three of the scheduled Episodes. I think you're out of luck with the old hardware, unfortunately.

blast!

I've never had the pleasure of playing HL2 on a fast computer, but I thought it looked amazing on the xbox. looks like I'll have to wait awhile before I get to continue the hl2 experience.

harveypooka
Jun 1, 2006, 07:48 PM
How is it performance wise with those settings on? What sort of frames per second readouts are you getting, during standstill parts and while you're battling ("net_graph 1" in the devconsole)?

How do I open the console?
EDIT: The second time I opened HL2 EP1 the garbled text disappeared. Obviously a glitch of some kind.

harveypooka
Jun 1, 2006, 08:12 PM
One more screenshot that really makes me think Episode 1 is much darker than Half Life. Positively scary!

mode
Jun 1, 2006, 08:40 PM
How do I open the console?
EDIT: The second time I opened HL2 EP1 the garbled text disappeared. Obviously a glitch of some kind.
Click on the Options button in the menu, then click on the keyboard button mapping tab. Go down to the button that says something like "Advanced.." and check the box that says "Enable developer console".

From there, you can just press the tilde "~" key if its mapped during normal gameplay and type in "net_graph 1" (without the quotes, of course) and you should get an FPS readout in the corner of the screen.

When you're finished, type net_graph 0 to turn it off.

Dagless
Jun 1, 2006, 08:51 PM
I don't think we'll be seeing HL2 episodes on the original Xbox. 360 yes. if you can face mauling such a beautifully crafted mouse game with a controller.

How is the games length? is it as long as the original HL2? That would be great if it is and definitely worth the 10 or so 's.

topgunn
Jun 1, 2006, 09:16 PM
From what I hear it is 6-10 hours depending on which difficulty you set.

mode
Jun 1, 2006, 09:21 PM
From what I hear it is 6-10 hours depending on which difficulty you set.
Most people have been reporting lengths of around three to four hours on medium play, actually. It's five chapters long, from what I read, or roughly a third of Half-Life 2's length, so the trilogy should pan out about the same as the single player game in the end.

However, the game also comes with about a hundred toggleable developer commentary nodes strewn about, so that adds some nice replayability to the title, too.

saunders45
Jun 1, 2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah... We should be seeing this on the 360 soon...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/710/710321p1.html

harveypooka
Jun 2, 2006, 06:39 AM
Most people have been reporting lengths of around three to four hours on medium play, actually. It's five chapters long, from what I read, or roughly a third of Half-Life 2's length, so the trilogy should pan out about the same as the single player game in the end.

So far it's great fun with some new ideas in it also. This is not just an addition, but a whole new experience. Alyx is a much more real character this time too, with quips and a better role. Ah man, go get it now!

DougTheImpaler
Jun 2, 2006, 07:36 AM
I liked the original HL2 and all, but dang, they really kicked the graphics up a notch. Much better looking than Doom 3 and Quake 4 IMO.

mode
Jun 2, 2006, 07:38 AM
Did you get the netgraph cvar to work? :D

How's it going FPS-wise?

harveypooka
Jun 2, 2006, 08:13 AM
Did you get the netgraph cvar to work? :D

How's it going FPS-wise?

Bugger....haha, whats the tilde on a PC?! I've never used it before...5?

mode
Jun 2, 2006, 08:22 AM
Bugger....haha, whats the tilde on a PC?! I've never used it before...5?
I'm not sure if keyboards are mapped different in the UK, but on mine the tilde key "~" is on the left side, right next to the 1. Pressing it while holding down Shift makes a `.

MacRumorUser
Jun 2, 2006, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure if keyboards are mapped different in the UK, but on mine the tilde key "~" is on the left side, right next to the 1. Pressing it while holding down Shift makes a `.

~ is next to left shift key on UK mac keyboard.

harveypooka
Jun 2, 2006, 08:31 AM
That doesn't seem to work with me. Shift plus tilde gives me a pipe "|".

MacRumorUser
Jun 2, 2006, 08:34 AM
That doesn't seem to work with me. Shift plus tilde gives me a pipe "|".

Arghh maybe because pc and mac keyboard layout are different too. Try the button next to 1. It also depends of course on what keyboard layout you chose in windows.... All gets very awkward.

mode
Jun 2, 2006, 09:18 AM
Bummer.

If you can't find the tilde key, you should probably be able to remap the console to a different key in the keyboard settings menu.

harveypooka
Jun 2, 2006, 09:38 AM
Ok, I've tried to find the bind for console but there doesn't appear to be one. Damn. I have to dash now to catch a train so can't spend time trying to find it. If someone does find what the tilde key is, I'll try it on Sunday evening! Arg!

crachoar
Jun 2, 2006, 12:34 PM
Definitely looks a lot better than 'Doom 3' or 'Quake 4'. Then again, that's not so hard.

The only thing that still bugs me, is the fact that the flashlight doesn't broadcast dynamic shadows.

For example, when you shine the flashlight through a fence, the fence doesn't have it's own shadow from the flashlight source. Kind of lame. Other than that, it looks very good (although, some textures are still very low-res).

Overall, it's cool. Not sure if it was worth $20. In the end, I'm going to be paying over $100 to beat 'Half-Life 2', which is totally lame.

gamer2k
Jun 2, 2006, 04:12 PM
After finals are over, I'm very excited about playing this game over the summer. From what I hear it's 4-6 hours of gameplay or so? I've always been curious about how the story plays out after the end of HL2... which just left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Scartissue
Jun 4, 2006, 07:09 AM
It's absolutely superb, for anyone on the fence. The first 20 minutes were one of those 'So good you have to laugh' moments. The quality completely overcame me.

On the one hand, it's certainly a similar experience to the original, but on the other, there was never anything especiallly wrong with the original. Blue Shift and Opposing force never did anything dramatic to the original formula ('Tanks!!!!11w' etc), and neither does this. What IS especially interesting is the use of new tech here. Anyone who's played the lost cost will notice many such features implemented here; this is worth buying a proper HDR running card for.

It's quite short. Started for a few hours last nite, finished it this morning. About 6 hours (as advertised). The ending is superb Valve style. Currently replaying with the Audio Commentary turned on, for the bestest best experience :) I would certainly advise it to anyone, not just to prolong the lifespan.

Play it.

harveypooka
Jun 4, 2006, 03:27 PM
Definitely looks a lot better than 'Doom 3' or 'Quake 4'. Then again, that's not so hard.

Yeah you're right. There's a bit when one of the flying monsters crashes and the textures look awesome, not plastic. I hate the plastic-Doom and plastic-Quake look. As Frank Zappa said, oh oh Plastic people...

Scartissue
Jun 4, 2006, 05:16 PM
Right, I've finished it twice now. Goin for a hat trick tomorrow. Proving both that it's very short, and that it's BLOODY GOOD

xPismo
Jun 4, 2006, 10:38 PM
...very short, and that it's BLOODY GOOD

Yes. I find it really funny that I'm feeling more and more ready to pull the trigger on a MBP because of HL2 - and the potential to play so so so many games out there in the PC lands.

I feel a little dirty too - but heck, who needs a console / gaming computer when you can have it all in a 1" thick package. :cool:

supermacdesign
Jun 9, 2006, 05:51 PM
How are you Running This new Half Life 2 Episode I on the Mac. Is there a Mac version or are you running it with Boot Camp? Also where did you purchase the game?

Thank You, I loved Half Life 2 on Xbox, a fantastic and atmospheric game.

chairguru22
Jun 9, 2006, 10:22 PM
How are you Running This new Half Life 2 Episode I on the Mac. Is there a Mac version or are you running it with Boot Camp? Also where did you purchase the game?

i would like to know this as well. can you just run windows from bootcamp and then log-onto steam and d/l the game with your account? thus having a copy of the game on two computers?

mode
Jun 10, 2006, 12:01 AM
i would like to know this as well. can you just run windows from bootcamp and then log-onto steam and d/l the game with your account? thus having a copy of the game on two computers?
Yes sir.

harveypooka
Jun 10, 2006, 05:11 AM

No Mac version. It runs on Windows which you boot into via BootCamp. It runs a treat. Yes, just download the Steam client from www.steampowered.com (about 600k) and away you go. Although I could not access the purchase page, came up with a 'cannot find page' error so had to go to my mates, log in and then purchase. Bit of a faff on.

chairguru22
Jun 10, 2006, 04:45 PM
1up.com came out with a video podcast review showing an editor playing the game on his MacBook Pro. he was asked why he's playing it on his mac and why he was playing on the sidewalk and replied "because i can." from the looks of it, the game runs well. i just beat it and going through the second time with commentary and its sweet.

harveypooka
Jun 10, 2006, 08:41 PM
1up.com came out with a video podcast review showing an editor playing the game on his MacBook Pro. he was asked why he's playing it on his mac and why he was playing on the sidewalk and replied "because i can." from the looks of it, the game runs well. i just beat it and going through the second time with commentary and its sweet.

Great...

mode
Jun 10, 2006, 11:39 PM
Could I get a link to the podcast?

chairguru22
Jun 11, 2006, 12:17 AM
Could I get a link to the podcast?

http://the1upshow.1up.com/
its on itunes also

roflewaffle
Jun 11, 2006, 01:51 AM
is anyone playing games (ie HL2) on their mbp hooked up to a large external screen like a 20" or 24"? i'd like to know the performance at higher resolutions. thanks!

tombo7
Jun 11, 2006, 09:02 AM
I'm new to Macintosh computers so I'm not sure of their capabilities. I got a a G-4 notebook from work and am wondering if there are any games I could buy that will play on it. I'm interested in Half Life 2 especially.

harveypooka
Jun 11, 2006, 09:19 AM
I'm new to Macintosh computers so I'm not sure of their capabilities. I got a a G-4 notebook from work and am wondering if there are any games I could buy that will play on it. I'm interested in Half Life 2 especially.

You can run any game for a Mac that uses PPC processors or is labeled 'Universal'. Apple recently switched from using PPC processors to Intel chips. This means that you can 'boot' into Windows instead of MacOSX and run all the Windows apps that you like. Essentially Macs are now just pretty PC's that can run both MacOS and Windows.

Games for PPC...well, check out www.ambrosiasw.com, they have some really ace games. A lot of classics. Or MacGameFiles.com is good for demos.

supermacdesign
Jun 12, 2006, 07:30 AM
But you need to buy a version of windows to play Half-Life. Sooo whats that cost or is it something I can just ummm... borrow/download somewhere...

: P

harveypooka
Jun 12, 2006, 12:40 PM
But you need to buy a version of windows to play Half-Life. Sooo whats that cost or is it something I can just ummm... borrow/download somewhere...

: P

I'd say that Windows XP is definitely worth a purchase considering the wealth of games you can play. Has anyone seen the trailer for HL2 EP2? It's...well...I don't want to ruin it for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0l5N6Exjz0