PDA

View Full Version : My RPG Project CODENAME: Slice

slooksterPSV
Jun 2, 2006, 02:02 AM
I thought I would update you guys on my game codename Slice and how its coming with developement. So far its 0.0.7a. It works pretty good too. I took a movie snapshot so you can see how it functions. I'm not sure what the storyline will be or who the characters are or anything. Basically I'm just setting up the engine, but if you guys would like to donate graphics, that'd be greatly appreciated. It's an RPG so yeah.

Here's a movie clip:
Once YouTube is up I'll post it there. Wish me luck with this project.

Nermal
Jun 2, 2006, 02:08 AM
I started making a little RPG once, I made a simple battle engine then got bored, I have no idea where it is now (if it even still exists).

slooksterPSV
Jun 3, 2006, 02:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VRSSuT2Raw

I uploaded a video of the new version at YouTube, it's gonna take a minute to process to be there, but I uploaded it. If anyone wants to try it out or that I can post it in a zip here.

HiRez
Jun 3, 2006, 08:25 AM
Looks pretty good (for 0.0.7), nice smooth-scrolling background. So what language(s) are you using and how are you doing the engine, is it OpenGL or Quartz, are you using SDL or what?

slooksterPSV
Jun 3, 2006, 11:37 AM
Looks pretty good (for 0.0.7), nice smooth-scrolling background. So what language(s) are you using and how are you doing the engine, is it OpenGL or Quartz, are you using SDL or what?
SDL, the new video still hasn't been processed hmm... The new video background is better bc I can make graphics and place them with 1,2,3,4 etc.

slooksterPSV
Jun 4, 2006, 12:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtwCW5syqlg

Check it out, -- now I'm warning you this video is slow because I was compiling a DVD right behind it so it's going to seem slow. I'm also going to upload the file so you guys can download it and try it out. It's 800+KB right now, that's like nothing compared to what I think it WILL be. I'd rather use PNG's but BMPs are ok for now.

LINK TO THE FILE: http://rapidshare.de/files/22156357/CSlice-0.0.9b.zip.html
This is the link to the beta game, you can try it out.

HiRez
Jun 4, 2006, 04:08 AM
Hey pretty cool, exciting to see it coming along, now let me ask you about performance. How many of those little sprites could you have animating smoothly at once (and on what hardware)? And with collision detection?

It looks like your code is straight C. I'm curious to find out more about SDL because I don't know much about it. It's simply a cross-platform C API for graphics? Is it specifically a game library or is it more generalized for any type of graphics/sound? Quartz is a nice library but it's relatively slow. OpenGL is fast but somewhat low-level. Something that makes the best of both, has game-specific builtin routines, and is cross-platform would be ideal. I'm curious what Game House uses for their games, because they're prolific and their games all look very consistent and pretty good (in that 2D "puzzle game" kind of style).

slooksterPSV
Jun 4, 2006, 01:06 PM
Hey pretty cool, exciting to see it coming along, now let me ask you about performance. How many of those little sprites could you have animating smoothly at once (and on what hardware)? And with collision detection?

It looks like your code is straight C. I'm curious to find out more about SDL because I don't know much about it. It's simply a cross-platform C API for graphics? Is it specifically a game library or is it more generalized for any type of graphics/sound? Quartz is a nice library but it's relatively slow. OpenGL is fast but somewhat low-level. Something that makes the best of both, has game-specific builtin routines, and is cross-platform would be ideal. I'm curious what Game House uses for their games, because they're prolific and their games all look very consistent and pretty good (in that 2D "puzzle game" kind of style).
I'm actually programming it in C++ bc I can declare variables where I need them, which is good in my case for a few items. I'm going to try this project out on my dads iMac G3 333mhz, and see how it runs. It does run smooth, but I was compiling a DVD when I made the video, I'll try and do it again today.
SDL is Simple DirectMedia Layer: http://www.libsdl.org/index.php it can be used for all different kinds of programs - games, photos, etc. etc. etc. Its a strong API that works on Linux, Unix, Mac, BEOS, Windoze, etc.

I could have many many many sprites with SDL, and have them move as if it were a 4 player, 16 player etc. game.

http://www.aaroncox.net/ is where I have received tons of help on this game. I suggest those who like programming video games or who want to and know C or C++ to go there and learn it. If you guys want to try my game, be sure to install SDL on your Mac. I'm going to start-up a Windows XP and compile it for PC's so if there are PC users they can try this out as well. BTW I use XCode on Mac and Dev-C++ on PC.

Anything else I forgot?

slooksterPSV
Jun 4, 2006, 01:37 PM
http://rapidshare.de/files/22206305/C_Slice_-0.0.9b-win32.zip.zip.html

POS Win32 version, try it out, have fun.

Dagless
Jun 4, 2006, 02:19 PM
Will this be freeware? Will it be completed?

I started work on an RPG last year. I made the engine, pretty solid too. I grew tired when it came to developing the areas and other enemies. Out of all the kinds of games I've made RPG's tend to be the most dropped. I hope you stick with it. make a killer freeware/shareware RPG for OSX. THEN port it to Windows later ;)

slooksterPSV
Jun 4, 2006, 02:46 PM
Will this be freeware? Will it be completed?

I started work on an RPG last year. I made the engine, pretty solid too. I grew tired when it came to developing the areas and other enemies. Out of all the kinds of games I've made RPG's tend to be the most dropped. I hope you stick with it. make a killer freeware/shareware RPG for OSX. THEN port it to Windows later ;)
Good q?, I'm going into Computer Science as my Major so I hope I complete it. I want it to be freeware, but I'm also considering shareware, but OS X needs RPGs (2d ones) so that's why I want to go with Freeware. I'm a single person working on this, so it'll take a lot longer than expected.

Lixivial
Jun 4, 2006, 03:26 PM
No Universal; only PowerPC? :(

Anyroad, you're right. We do need more 2D RPGs. I look forward to any progress you make on this.

slooksterPSV
Jun 4, 2006, 03:28 PM
No Universal; only PowerPC? :(

Anyroad, you're right. We do need more 2D RPGs. I look forward to any progress you make on this.
When I finally update my XCode I'll do a Universal

EDIT: Downloading XCode 2.3 right now, I will figure out how to do a universal binary and upload that.

darkwing
Jun 4, 2006, 05:16 PM
I'll be starting up an rpg in a couple of weeks that I am about to solicit help on graphics wise. I need anime character portrait designers as well as sprite and level editors. I've already got jimmi here who said he'd help wtih backgrounds. My RPG will be 2d walking but the battles will be 2d side scrolling action oriented like Tales of Phantasia. Should be fun. I'm going to do it in C++ with SDL with a couple friends.

slooksterPSV
Jun 4, 2006, 06:06 PM
I'll be starting up an rpg in a couple of weeks that I am about to solicit help on graphics wise. I need anime character portrait designers as well as sprite and level editors. I've already got jimmi here who said he'd help wtih backgrounds. My RPG will be 2d walking but the battles will be 2d side scrolling action oriented like Tales of Phantasia. Should be fun. I'm going to do it in C++ with SDL with a couple friends.
I love TOP, its a great game.

--Hey does anyone know how to build UB's in XCode?

Chaszmyr
Jun 4, 2006, 06:11 PM
--Hey does anyone know how to build UB's in XCode?

Click a checkbox when you compile :p That's what Apple has to say about it anyway

DavidLeblond
Jun 4, 2006, 08:07 PM
When I finally update my XCode I'll do a Universal

EDIT: Downloading XCode 2.3 right now, I will figure out how to do a universal binary and upload that.

Report back if you can get it working right. I can't seem to get SDL things to compile correctly using the latest SDL with Universal.

slooksterPSV
Jun 4, 2006, 10:41 PM
Report back if you can get it working right. I can't seem to get SDL things to compile correctly using the latest SDL with Universal.
I can't compile binaries. I don't know how to, I tried adding the Architecture using the Info box on the project, but the build settings still set the environment to Native PPC, so I don't know how to make it i386 compat.

HiRez
Jun 4, 2006, 11:15 PM
There are two things you need to change to compile Universal binaries.

1. Open your Project Settings (select your poject, which should be the topmost icon in the lefthand list), and in the Build tab, set Architecture to "PPC" + "i386" (check both boxes).

2. In the General tab, change Cross Develop Using Target SDK to "Mac OS X 10.4 (Universal)".

Also, I think it may be a bad idea to enable Universal for your Debug config, especially if you have Zero-Link enabled (it would only run on the machine you compile it on anyway), so I'd suggest making the change to just your Release config.

slooksterPSV
Jun 4, 2006, 11:18 PM
Finally got it Universal you guys: here's the link--

http://rapidshare.de/files/22239216/C_Slice_.zip.html

YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!!

slooksterPSV
Jun 4, 2006, 11:19 PM
There are two things you need to change to compile Universal binaries.

1. Open your Project Settings (select your poject, which should be the topmost icon in the lefthand list), and in the Build tab, set Architecture to "PPC" + "i386" (check both boxes).

2. In the General tab, change Cross Develop Using Target SDK to "Mac OS X 10.4 (Universal)".

Also, I think it may be a bad idea to enable Universal for your Debug config, especially if you have Zero-Link enabled (it would only run on the machine you compile it on anyway), so I'd suggest making the change to just your Release config.
http://rapidshare.de/files/22239216/C_Slice_.zip.html --the link again

I did try that, but I needed one thing. I had to update my SDL (I was using 1.2.9) and I had to update my libraries and all that. I finally got it though. Thank you, thank you. Tell me how it goes you guys.

EDIT: A picture of it saying UNIVERSAL

slooksterPSV
Jun 9, 2006, 08:27 PM
http://rapidshare.de/files/22678474/CSlice-0.2b-Universal.zip.html
That's the release version instead of the debug version
Be sure to install this: http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.10.dmg you need it to run this game.

Makosuke
Jun 9, 2006, 10:48 PM
Hmm... installed the framework and downloaded your demo, but no luck. Dies immediately without even half a dock bounce. MBP, 10.4.6 (of course), heap of RAM.

Also tried running it under Rosetta, also nothing. Good luck with the project, though.

redpixel
Jun 10, 2006, 12:37 AM
Hi

Your game seems cool!
Unfortunately, I too have problems running it. Trying to
run it from the Terminal gives the following output:

ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/sbarn/Programming/SDL/CSliceUniv/build/CSliceUniv.build/Debug/CSliceUniv.build/Objects-normal/ppc/SDLMain.ob
ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/sbarn/Programming/SDL/CSliceUniv/build/CSliceUniv.build/Debug/CSliceUniv.build/Objects-normal/ppc/cMenu.ob
ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/sbarn/Programming/SDL/CSliceUniv/build/CSliceUniv.build/Debug/CSliceUniv.build/Objects-normal/ppc/main.ob
zsh: bus error ./CSliceUniv

Same symptoms as Makosuke, it just dies without any info.

slooksterPSV
Jun 10, 2006, 01:33 AM
Oops, I gave you guys the debug version which doesn't really compile the code completely. Here's the new link, sorry about that: http://rapidshare.de/files/22678474/CSlice-0.2b-Universal.zip.html
try that.

slooksterPSV
Jun 10, 2006, 01:09 PM
C[Slice] 0.2b Universal Binary (http://rapidshare.de/files/22720342/CSliceUniv-0.2b-SDL.zip.html)
http://rapidshare.de/files/22733413/CSliceUniv-0.2b-win32.zip.html - this version is the Windows version

So what's new with this version? Well you shouldn't need to copy/install SDL anymore, it should copy/install for you automatically. Someone gave me a tip on how to do this. Try it out, someone who hasn't and doesn't have sdl, let me know if it works.

slooksterPSV
Jun 12, 2006, 03:09 AM
Here's a screenshot with better graphics:

Also I need your guys' help - Should I start a Website to keep you guys informed on how this project is coming along or should I put all my focus on the project?

PM me, email me, or ask me to post a new thread with a Poll and let's see who thinks I should and or shouldn't.

Also I've put sound in the project as well.

savar
Jun 12, 2006, 11:32 AM

Also I need your guys' help - Should I start a Website to keep you guys informed on how this project is coming along or should I put all my focus on the project?

PM me, email me, or ask me to post a new thread with a Poll and let's see who thinks I should and or shouldn't.

This is looking pretty cool.

I downloaded the last version you posted, two comments:

1) the sprites are awfully small...why not make the sprites significantly largeR? What resolution do you think peple are most likely to run your game at?

2) The collision detection is a little wonky...it can be hard to walk through certain places where there is clearly a path.

DavidLeblond
Jun 12, 2006, 12:15 PM

Sure, toss up a Wordpress page or something so I can RSS it.

slooksterPSV
Jun 12, 2006, 02:20 PM
This is looking pretty cool.

I downloaded the last version you posted, two comments:

1) the sprites are awfully small...why not make the sprites significantly largeR? What resolution do you think peple are most likely to run your game at?

2) The collision detection is a little wonky...it can be hard to walk through certain places where there is clearly a path.
I know, I need someone to draw me Graphics though. I just used him bc it was easiest to get. I think its default.bmp or... char1.bmp? I don't remember but if someone wants to make graphics, use that as a whatcha-ma-call-it. Unless I can do full screen then I'd leave the sprite like it is.

slooksterPSV
Jun 12, 2006, 11:27 PM
http://www.filefactory.com/?472582 - C[Slice] Version 0.2.5 beta
See readme.rtf for updates.

Updates:
=====
Added sound - via wav
Added music - via ogg/vorbis
Added configuration file
Added build icon
Added fullscreen or window support - change config file in data directory to choose either or.

S key to play sound
M key to play music
P key to stop music

savar
Jun 13, 2006, 11:12 AM
I know, I need someone to draw me Graphics though. I just used him bc it was easiest to get. I think its default.bmp or... char1.bmp? I don't remember but if someone wants to make graphics, use that as a whatcha-ma-call-it. Unless I can do full screen then I'd leave the sprite like it is.

Yeah, as a developer, getting good artwork is very difficult.

Maybe try posting in the graphics forum here to see if anybody wants to collaborate?

deputy_doofy
Jun 14, 2006, 12:38 PM

I haven't downloaded this, but it looks really cool. Would love to know how you coded the 2D graphics. I have lots of RPG ideas, but tend to get stuck when trying to figure out how to do any graphics.

slooksterPSV
Jun 14, 2006, 01:01 PM
I haven't downloaded this, but it looks really cool. Would love to know how you coded the 2D graphics. I have lots of RPG ideas, but tend to get stuck when trying to figure out how to do any graphics.
I took these two images: (see below)
1 = Grass
2 = Water
The rectangle if its a #2 by means of programming is... well here's the code:

//Copied from cLevel.h
//... -- previous code
void Load(char* level)
{
int x = 0;
int y = 0;
cTile *temp;
ifstream input_stream(level);
int dummy;
int input_tile_type;
input_stream >> wtile_width;
input_stream >> wtile_height;
area_width = wtile_width*TILE_WIDTH;
area_height = wtile_height*TILE_HEIGHT;
input_stream >> dummy;

int tiletotal = wtile_width*wtile_height;

for(int n = 0; n <= wtile_width+2; n++)
{
temp = new cTile(m_Bitmap, n/2, n*2, 1);
}
delete temp;

for(int t = 0; t < tiletotal; t++)
{
input_stream >> input_tile_type;
m_Tiles[t] = new cTile(m_Bitmap, x, y, (int)input_tile_type);
x += TILE_WIDTH;
if(x >= area_width)
{
x = 0;
y += TILE_HEIGHT;
}
}

input_stream >> player_start_x;
input_stream >> player_start_y;

input_stream.close();
}

void Draw()
{
int tiletotal = wtile_width*wtile_height;
//leveltemp = SDL_DisplayFormat(m_Window);
for(int t = 0; t < tiletotal; t++)
{
m_Tiles[t]->Draw(m_Window);
}
//SDL_UpdateRect(leveltemp, 0, 0, 0, 0);
//SDL_BlitSurface(m_Temp, &camera, m_Window, &dest);
}
//... more code after

//cTile.h
//... code before
void Draw(SDL_Surface* window)
{
static int x = -1;
x++;
if(RectOnRectCollision(camera, box))
{
HandleUpdate(box.x-camera.x, box.y-camera.y, m_Tile, window, &tile);
}
}
//... more code after
//Camera is a global SDL_Rect

EDIT: HERE'S HOW I DID THE PLAYER GRAPHICS

//cPlayer.h
//... Code before
void Draw(SDL_Surface* window, Direction dir, bool mp)
{

static int player = 0;
static Direction d;

if(mp){
switch (dir)
{
case UP:
//player = 0;
break;
case DOWN:
//player = 2;
break;
case LEFT:
//player = 3;
break;
case RIGHT:
//player = 1;
break;
case NONE:
break;
case UP_RIGHT:
dir = UP;
break;

}
d = dir;

if(dir == UP || dir == DOWN || dir == RIGHT || dir == LEFT){
player += 1;
if(player > 2) {
player = 0;
}
}
}
SDL_Rect destination = { center_X-camera.x, center_Y-camera.y, 24, 36};
SDL_Rect source = { CHAR_WIDTH*player, CHAR_HEIGHT*d, CHAR_WIDTH, CHAR_HEIGHT };
HandleUpdate(r_Player.x-camera.x, r_Player.y-camera.y, c_Player, window, &source);
}
//... Code after

Here are the two images I used:

slooksterPSV
Jun 21, 2006, 03:27 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2538884#post2538884

I've given up the project, its too complex where I don't know a darn thing about memory allocation (yes I know of calloc, malloc, realloc).
There's just too much to work with, and I've been working at a new job a lot so I'm giving up this project. It's open source so go ahead and make some RPG's using my code. Modify it, use it, reuse it, copy it, go for it, just be sure to give props to Aaron Cox for the base-code: http://www.aaroncox.net/ ok? Thanks you guys, it was fun to get it this far, but its just too complex for me.