Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Ok, so general consensus seems to be that the hi-fi isn't worth the money (big surprise at $350 :rolleyes: ) I've read mixed, but mostly good things about the bose sounddock, although its still pretty steep price-wise.

Beyond that, what are your recommendations? The Klipsch iGroove looks pretty good; has anyone bought from their refurb dept. on ebay? Looks like you can pick one up for about $150 there.

I need it to fill a small bedroom right now, but would prefer not to get something junky so that I can continue to use it "down the road" or for a party.

Please don't recommend an airtunes; I don't have my good stereo system here with me (moved to NYC a year ago, so things like that stayed in storage).

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Cool. I saw that one at the apple store, sounded pretty good.

Will any of them work while my nano is in a case (I keep it in that clear cover that snaps in place around it), or will I have to take it out to use it? Figure I might need a new case so that I don't have as much hassle removing the clear one each time.

lynziwow

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
CALIIFORNIA
iHome

I got this as a birthday gift and it actually has pretty decent sound for only $99. The best feature is that it's an alarm clock as well. The only drawback to this unit is that you cannot dim the light on the clock display, and it's rather bright, sometimes disturbing me when I'm trying to fall asleep.

Also, you'd have to take your iPod out of the case for it to work.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
lynziwow said:
I got this as a birthday gift and it actually has pretty decent sound for only $99. The best feature is that it's an alarm clock as well. The only drawback to this unit is that you cannot dim the light on the clock display, and it's rather bright, sometimes disturbing me when I'm trying to fall asleep.

Also, you'd have to take your iPod out of the case for it to work.

I assume you're referring to the iHome? I've been thinking about that one too, just because the price is right and I'm really not an audiophile; I just want to be able to hear my music.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
ChrisBrightwell said:
Why not buy a set of decent desktop computer speakers?

You get much better value for the money.

I've debated back and forth on that one. I guess I like the ease of dropping my ipod into a dock and having it charge and being able to listen to it at the same time.

May still go that direction.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
I have the JBL OnTime - it's pretty expensive, but it's very slick looking and it sounds alright - definitely a major step up from iHome (although it costs 150 bucks more too...;) )

http://reviews.cnet.com/JBL_On_Time_white/4505-6519_7-31793798.html

:eek: Can't get past the looks of that thing (or the price).

Been doing a lot more reading; I think I'm leaning toward the Logitech MM50 or a set of normal speakers. Haven't decided which though.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
munckee said:
I've debated back and forth on that one. I guess I like the ease of dropping my ipod into a dock and having it charge and being able to listen to it at the same time.

May still go that direction.
You can buy a dock and use its line-out jack to achieve the same effect. :cool:

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Another vote for the Logitech mm50. My sister has it. Fantastic sound for such a small package, with a nice deep bass. The HiFi is nice although for pretty similar sound in a smaller and better looking package I'd take the Bose Sounddock.

Logitech mm50 is the best value for money though and it comes with a cool remote. What more could you want?:D

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
ChrisBrightwell said:
You can buy a dock and use its line-out jack to achieve the same effect. :cool:

Hadn't noticed that feature. The only problem with it is that by the time I buy the dock for $40 and the remote for $30, I'm out $70 before the speakers. Have to think about it.

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
If you want something that sounds better than the iPod hi-fi but with more functionality at the same price, you might want to check out the Audioengine A5.

Reviews here...

And these people say:

The quality of the Audioengine 5 is apparent from the moment the speakers are removed from the box. Each hand-built cabinet feels incredibly solid and is finished in high-gloss white, encasing a 5-inch custom Kevlar woofer and 20mm silk dome tweeter. With a frequency response rate of 60Hz-22,000Hz, both the materials and the specifications behind the Audioengine 5 bests every other high-end iPod offering, from Bose's SoundDock to Klipsch's iGroove to Tivoli Audio's iSongBook to AltecLansing's inMotion iM7

The Bottom Line
If you're looking for the best sounding stand-alone speaker solution for your iPod, look no further: the Audioengine 5 is second to none. In an increasingly crowded marketplace, Audioengine has managed to bring a decidedly unique offering to the table, one that sees form following function for a change, and without any compromises

EDIT: Note that this doesnt exactly provide a "dock" per se. If you wanted your iPod to actually sit in a dock as opposed to lying flat, you'd have to buy the $40 Universal Dock from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.