PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read this? Seriously, Wii related.

mac000
Jun 2, 2006, 04:29 PM
http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_lobby/b8270/118871211/p1/?37

Dagless
Jun 2, 2006, 05:20 PM
I think us folk would appreciate a quote or too, maybe some of your own opinion in text or, funnier still in image form.
for now you'll have to wait for the page to load up on my very busy connection...

Dagless
Jun 2, 2006, 05:27 PM
As for the MGS thing. I wouldn't be surprised. thanks to 2 little reasons-

Hideo saying he was bored with the PS3, that he can't wait to work on other titles for other systems.
Snake being in Smash Bros. Clearly Konami are building bridges with Nintendo. Just wouldn't surprise me is all.

Moshiiii
Jun 2, 2006, 05:53 PM
Anything over 6 sentences I won't read :D

mikeyPotg
Jun 2, 2006, 05:56 PM
man, I actually read all that.
I wish people wouldn't post that craziness. I'm too naive and I hate getting my hopes up. That is some serious rumors though.

Archmagination
Jun 2, 2006, 06:05 PM
Its basicly a huge prank.. notice how there is Italic and Bold sentences? Well at the very end you get this:

Italic=Possible
Bold=Impossible

I knew I should have gone to the very bottom of the post before I read through the whole damn thing.

GFLPraxis
Jun 2, 2006, 06:12 PM
I have read it elsewhere, and it's hilarious.

hen news will be broken that MGS4: Guns of the Patriots will also be coming to the Wii console…with all visuals in place.

ROFL!

-Another being a followup Wii title to the critically-acclaimed Kid Icarus. Will be rated M.

Gut-splitting hilarity. Thanks for posting.

GFLPraxis
Jun 2, 2006, 06:13 PM
As for the MGS thing. I wouldn't be surprised. thanks to 2 little reasons-

Hideo saying he was bored with the PS3, that he can't wait to work on other titles for other systems.
Snake being in Smash Bros. Clearly Konami are building bridges with Nintendo. Just wouldn't surprise me is all.

You think MGS4 will come out for Wii with the same graphics as on the PS3? :confused:

AP_piano295
Jun 2, 2006, 06:23 PM
And yet it has no HD that is the biggest load of bullcrap ive ever herd

AP_piano295
Jun 2, 2006, 06:25 PM
man, I actually read all that.
I wish people wouldn't post that craziness. I'm too naive and I hate getting my hopes up. That is some serious rumors though.

You actually belived that even a little bit?

Wii is not about graphics it's about control an insanely new and complex and probably impossible technolodgy cost more than 200 bucks. Sorry but reality hurts

mac000
Jun 2, 2006, 06:28 PM
the person made bold an italic what they thought was possible and impossible about the "quote from a different individual"

DeSnousa
Jun 2, 2006, 06:31 PM
Anything over 6 sentences I won't read :D

So what, the title is not over 6 sentences ;)

And yet it has no HD that is the biggest load of bullcrap ive ever herd

This has greatly been argued, please leave it in the other threads then. Thanks :)

Dagless
Jun 2, 2006, 06:31 PM
You think MGS4 will come out for Wii with the same graphics as on the PS3? :confused:

Nope. but in some form or another, a new MGS game will definitely come out for the Wii. Hideo loves it and Sony don't have exclusive rights. Plus if the PS3 bombs it will definitely get ported to the 360 (at least) without any doubt.

sb58
Jun 2, 2006, 06:39 PM
Plus if the PS3 bombs
i think you mean when ;)

michaelltd
Jun 2, 2006, 06:47 PM
Nope. but in some form or another, a new MGS game will definitely come out for the Wii. Hideo loves it and Sony don't have exclusive rights. Plus if the PS3 bombs it will definitely get ported to the 360 (at least) without any doubt.

I love MGS and all, but I actually hope Kojima creates a new original series for the Wii instead.

AP_piano295
Jun 2, 2006, 07:33 PM
So what, the title is not over 6 sentences ;)

This has greatly been argued, please leave it in the other threads then. Thanks :)

You miss my point i'm not making fun of the fact that the Wii doesnt have HD i'm saying that this claim that the Wii has some insane new graphics and physics system that doesnt use HD is insane and impossible. (aka bullcrap)

mikeyPotg
Jun 2, 2006, 07:44 PM
the thread was copied and pasted from another forum. The BOLD/ITALICS was done by whoever reposted it. Not by the orignal writer.

Dagless
Jun 2, 2006, 08:10 PM
I love MGS and all, but I actually hope Kojima creates a new original series for the Wii instead.

Aye, originality is key. But if Kojima can make a game anything like MGS1 then I'll like it ported to my system of choice. Which, I'm probably guessing he won't. ho hum.

2nyRiggz
Jun 2, 2006, 08:21 PM
That was funny as hell...thanks for that.

Are we hurting for MGS4 for the Wii....i guess we are

Bless

tedrjr03
Jun 2, 2006, 11:29 PM
yea defnot true

BlizzardBomb
Jun 3, 2006, 04:08 AM
-Nintendo will announce support for a modified HD-DVD format for space reasons.

Why would a console with twice the power of the GC need 20x the storage? Dual-layer DVD has more than enough for the Wii.

Dagless
Jun 3, 2006, 05:24 AM
Thanks for bringing up the HD-DVD thing.

I think that's entirely possible. Isn't that what the 360 is doing? An external USB add-on? I think it's very much possible, though I don't see what the benefits will be without HD output. unless with its component output it can do HD video just ED for games.

Am I aching for MGS4 on the Wii? If it's either equally good or better than MGS1 then yes. If it's another 2 or 3 they can stick it.

Haoshiro
Jun 3, 2006, 06:34 AM

Have you missed all the other remarks by Hideo? He has said many times in many different ways that he is done with MGS. He wants to move on and has clearly said he will not do another MGS. Once MGS4 is done he has other non-MGS projects he wants to do anyway.

He has also said that MGS4 is and will only be for PS3. People love to ignore that, but he said it quite clearly. If we see it coming to 360 then we can just assume that someone at MS dropped so much money on him he had to do it. Nintendo sure as heck isn't going to do that.

mrgreen4242
Jun 3, 2006, 11:08 AM
You miss my point i'm not making fun of the fact that the Wii doesnt have HD i'm saying that this claim that the Wii has some insane new graphics and physics system that doesnt use HD is insane and impossible. (aka bullcrap)
While I'm not saying that the Wii is going to be some shocking piece of technology, blowing us all away with it's graphical capabilities, there is an interview over on digg with John Swimmer from ATI claiming that what we saw graphically of the Wii at E3 is "only the tip of the iceburg". http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12859

It has been stated before that the Wii should look about the same as the 360 on an SD screen, a claim which this interview seems to strengthen. Who knows, though? We'll have to wait and see...

2nyRiggz
Jun 3, 2006, 11:59 AM

Dreams of the PS3 bombing will not come true. MGS4 will stay a sony exclusive whiles the others get lated MGS....just accept it....I hope this is not the last MGS game....but all things come to an end.

Bless

sk1985
Jun 3, 2006, 12:19 PM
While I'm not saying that the Wii is going to be some shocking piece of technology, blowing us all away with it's graphical capabilities, there is an interview over on digg with John Swimmer from ATI claiming that what we saw graphically of the Wii at E3 is "only the tip of the iceburg". http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12859

It has been stated before that the Wii should look about the same as the 360 on an SD screen, a claim which this interview seems to strengthen. Who knows, though? We'll have to wait and see...
I really can't believe that. You need to be more realist and stop thinking like a fanboy (sorry for sounding offensive). Ati would hype the hell out of that GPU; after all it is a GPU they've made and I'm sure they'd praise the 360's in the same way. Also games look better during the duration of a system's life. So technically, yes this only the tip of the iceberg, but not just for the wii. All other consoles will start to look better and better.

The 360 just has way too much horsepower to even be compared to the wii. Seriously just in terms of polygons it would smoke the Wii and the 360 can process higher resolution textures way better. If you look at ign's stats for the wii (developers gave those stats to them, Nintendo won't ever release any offical wii stats) it says the wii will uses a G3 processor at 729 Mhz v.s. the 360's 3 G5 Processors at 3.2 Ghz....Those numbers alone should clue you to the fact that just in terms of polygons the 360 could pump out ten times (if not a hell of a lot more) polygons then the wii. Then you factor in the wii's significantly slower and out dated GPU. Hell the GPU is only clocked at 243 Mhz and it has a lower amount of Ram (the 360 is twice as powerful). Also the wii's enclosure is too small to house a powerful system (the wii was made to run on low power, be quiet, and small). My best guess is that to the naked eye of a casual gamer the two systems could look kind of similar on standard def.

If you really look at those stats the wii starts to look more like an XBOX and less like a 360. Thats the truth. Just live with the fact that the wii is always going to be the least powerful and worse looking (Graphically not artistically) system on the market. From the beginning of it's constructions it was never made for power. This system was made for creating unique gaming experiences and not to drop jaws and thats just fine by me (I'm buying one at launch and I'll be picking up a 360 too).

P.S. here's my proof of the wii's stats in case you thought I pulled these numbers out of thin air.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/699/699118p1.html

GFLPraxis
Jun 3, 2006, 12:21 PM
I'm very curious to see how well the PS3 can do in the marketplace.

The price point it is launching at is traditionally the suicidal one; the 3DO launched at a higher price and did so badly it bankrupted the company. The Sega Saturn launched at almost the same price (higher when adjusted for inflation) and bombed out terribly. The Neo Geo launched at a higher price and was only successful as an arcade machine. And the video game systems before the video game crash were a higher price if you adjust for inflation, and we all know what happened to those.

On top of that, Sony is using a format not guaranteed to be the next standard (Blu-ray), and has a very weak launch lineup. While they have some nice exclusives down the road, they're also a year behind, something which doomed the GameCube and XBox to having a fraction of the marketshare of their chief competitor, Sony.

While all the signs are bad, the fact that the PS2 did so well and that they have some very significant exclusives might mean that they can overcome that.

GFLPraxis
Jun 3, 2006, 12:28 PM
I really can't believe that. You need to be more realist and stop thinking like a fanboy. Ati would hype the hell out of that GPU; after all it is a GPU they've made and I'm sure they'd praise the 360's in the same way. Also games look better during the duration of a system's life. So technically, yes this only the tip of the iceberg, but not just for the wii. All other consoles will start to look better and better.

The 360 just has way too much horsepower to even be compared to the wii. Seriously just in terms of polygons it would smoke the Wii and the 360 can process higher resolution textures way better. If you look at ign's stats for the wii (developers gave those stats to them, Nintendo won't ever release any offical wii stats) it says the wii will uses a G3 processor at 729 Mhz v.s. the 360's 3 G5 Processors at 3.2 Ghz....Those numbers alone should clue you to the fact that just in terms of polygons the 360 could pump out ten times (if not a hell of a lot more) polygons then the wii. Then you factor in the wii's significantly slower and out dated GPU. Hell the GPU is only clocked at 243 Mhz and it has a lower amount of Ram (the 360 is twice as powerful). Also the wii's enclosure is too small to house a powerful system (the wii was made to run on low power, be quiet, and small).

If you really look at those stats the wii starts to look more like an XBOX and less like a 360. Thats the truth. Just live with the fact that the wii is always going to be the least powerful and worse looking system on the market. From the beginning of it's constructions it was never made for power. This system was made for creating unique gaming experiences and not to drop jaws and thats just fine by me (I'm buying one at launch and I'll be picking up a 360 too).

P.S. here's my proof of the wii's stats.

A few things I want to bring up.

A) IGN claims (remember these are totally unofficial) to have gotten some developer to break his NDA and give the specs of a dev kit. It very likely may not have been final.

B) Don't compare MHz like that. The XBox 360's 3.2 GHz processors do hardly any work per clock cycle. You can't just directly compare.

C) That's the trick about the Wii. Of course the 360 can process textures ten times bigger. But because the Wii isn't HD, the textures it gets to process are 1/10th the size.

D) Don't listen to IGN's clock speed comparisons. The devs I spoke to at E3 confirmed that it's significantly more powerful than an XBox and clock speed doesn't matter. The dev did confirm the 88 MB of system RAM, and he confirmed that there were no additional shaders, but that the GPU was considerably faster than the GameCube to the point that a lot of new stuff could be done in software.

I don't believe that it'll look like the 360 in SD someday- just because the 360's processor will ALWAYS be much faster and be able to handle much more physics like the flying sweat in Fight Night. But I do believe the visuals could improve over what we saw at E3...though if Zelda: TP for the Wii is what we're getting, then w00t for the Wii's graphics :)

I think I'm sitting in between you too. I don't think it'll ever approach 360 graphics, but I do think it'll improve quite nicely. The devs I spoke to insisted that the Wii could pump out some impressive visuals even though it doesn't approach the 360, and they were really excited about the system.

BTW: Here's a rumor for you.

http://www.gentendo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=120&Itemid=1

According to reports breaking of late, the Nintendo Wii could be much more powerful than even the most optimistic fan might have hoped for.

Several sources, believed to be taking information from western developers equipped with near-final development kits for Wii, have seemingly leaked some impressive specs for the machine that, if true, slash the power void between Nintendo and its two home console rivals.

According to an article on Daily Tech, widely ignored during E3 but since gathering some pace, “…the Wii will ship with a PowerPC 750GX CPU jointly developed between IBM and Nintendo. Nintendo says the codename of the processor is Broadway and was manufactured using a 90nm fabrication process. IBM claims the 750GX GPU is based on the 750FX processor designed by the company several years ago. The chip can run at frequencies up to 1.1GHz and includes a 4-way set-associative single core with 1MB L2 cache.”

The 750FX was a >1 GHz G3 that never made its way into a Mac because Apple switched to G4 after the iBook reached 900 MHz G3.

sk1985
Jun 3, 2006, 12:31 PM
A few things I want to bring up.

A) IGN claims (remember these are totally unofficial) to have gotten some developer to break his NDA and give the specs of a dev kit. It very likely may not have been final.

B) Don't compare MHz like that. The XBox 360's 3.2 GHz processors do hardly any work per clock cycle. You can't just directly compare.

C) That's the trick about the Wii. Of course the 360 can process textures ten times bigger. But because the Wii isn't HD, the textures it gets to process are 1/10th the size.

D) Don't listen to IGN's clock speed comparisons. The devs I spoke to at E3 confirmed that it's significantly more powerful than an XBox and clock speed doesn't matter. The dev did confirm the 88 MB of system RAM, and he confirmed that there were no additional shaders, but that the GPU was considerably faster than the GameCube to the point that a lot of new stuff could be done in software.

I don't believe that it'll look like the 360 in SD someday- just because the 360's processor will ALWAYS be much faster and be able to handle much more physics like the flying sweat in Fight Night. But I do believe the visuals could improve over what we saw at E3...though if Zelda: TP for the Wii is what we're getting, then w00t for the Wii's graphics :)
You are correct that was a Devo kit's stats, but even if they bumped up the speeds by a hundred or more Mhz it's still not that blazing fast. That just gives you an idea of what kind of configuration Nintendo is going for in terms of power. For the most part in terms of graphics the wii will look like an XBOX 1.5 (That may sound harsh, but the system should still bump out some amazing visuals. They just won't look super next Gen).

2nyRiggz
Jun 3, 2006, 12:35 PM
Well nintendo said it themselves that they are not next generation but starting new....so thats the proof that they are not even interested in the "next gen" ...they are taking that DS fomular and running with it.

Bless

GFLPraxis
Jun 3, 2006, 12:46 PM
You are correct that was a Devo kit's stats, but even if they bumped up the speeds by a hundred or more Mhz it's still not that blazing fast. That just gives you an idea of what kind of configuration Nintendo is going for in terms of power. For the most part in terms of graphics the wii will look like an XBOX 1.5 (That may sound harsh, but the system should still bump out some amazing visuals. They just won't look super next Gen).

Yeah, I know it's not blazing fast, but as long as it is visibly better than the XBox, and I can use that AWESOME controller; I'm happy.

Dagless
Jun 3, 2006, 02:06 PM
I'm very curious to see how well the PS3 can do in the marketplace.

The price point it is launching at is traditionally the suicidal one; the 3DO launched at a higher price and did so badly it bankrupted the company. The Sega Saturn launched at almost the same price (higher when adjusted for inflation) and bombed out terribly. The Neo Geo launched at a higher price and was only successful as an arcade machine. And the video game systems before the video game crash were a higher price if you adjust for inflation, and we all know what happened to those.

On top of that, Sony is using a format not guaranteed to be the next standard (Blu-ray), and has a very weak launch lineup. While they have some nice exclusives down the road, they're also a year behind, something which doomed the GameCube and XBox to having a fraction of the marketshare of their chief competitor, Sony.

While all the signs are bad, the fact that the PS2 did so well and that they have some very significant exclusives might mean that they can overcome that.

Oh don't be so realistic. It's Sony. They can magically change everything with their 4D 120fps powers. The PS3 has so much power that it can alter the fabric of time to make it different to every other console released at a high price with negative press. It's just different. y'know :cool:

:rolleyes:

I've gotta stop these cocky posts.

Dagless
Jun 3, 2006, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I know it's not blazing fast, but as long as it is visibly better than the XBox, and I can use that AWESOME controller; I'm happy.

Just twigged something about Nintendo. they like to take something and push it to it's limits, then move onto the next thing. carts for consoles, old style controllers... which leads me to the SD resolution. If they can get such a realistic image to look identical to what what a TV shows when watching actual footage (non-game) then that'll be something.

I'll make this point one final time before I leave it to rest.
HD resolutions don't make things realistic. HD resolutions are a way of saying "well we can't make things look realistic, so here, have a higher resolution instead". HD is a distraction from consoles not being able to rid obvious polygons and the lack of realism from a game.
If given the choice between a home console that can produce TV quality, real graphics in SD or having what we currently have with the 360 (still fake looking but in HD). I'd go for realism.
Not saying the Wii will give us that. no way. I'm just saying HD isn't be-all, end-all.

mrgreen4242
Jun 3, 2006, 08:09 PM
I really can't believe that. You need to be more realist and stop thinking like a fanboy (sorry for sounding offensive). Ati would hype the hell out of that GPU; after all it is a GPU they've made and I'm sure they'd praise the 360's in the same way. Also games look better during the duration of a system's life. So technically, yes this only the tip of the iceberg, but not just for the wii. All other consoles will start to look better and better.

The 360 just has way too much horsepower to even be compared to the wii. Seriously just in terms of polygons it would smoke the Wii and the 360 can process higher resolution textures way better. If you look at ign's stats for the wii (developers gave those stats to them, Nintendo won't ever release any offical wii stats) it says the wii will uses a G3 processor at 729 Mhz v.s. the 360's 3 G5 Processors at 3.2 Ghz....Those numbers alone should clue you to the fact that just in terms of polygons the 360 could pump out ten times (if not a hell of a lot more) polygons then the wii. Then you factor in the wii's significantly slower and out dated GPU. Hell the GPU is only clocked at 243 Mhz and it has a lower amount of Ram (the 360 is twice as powerful). Also the wii's enclosure is too small to house a powerful system (the wii was made to run on low power, be quiet, and small). My best guess is that to the naked eye of a casual gamer the two systems could look kind of similar on standard def.

If you really look at those stats the wii starts to look more like an XBOX and less like a 360. Thats the truth. Just live with the fact that the wii is always going to be the least powerful and worse looking (Graphically not artistically) system on the market. From the beginning of it's constructions it was never made for power. This system was made for creating unique gaming experiences and not to drop jaws and thats just fine by me (I'm buying one at launch and I'll be picking up a 360 too).

P.S. here's my proof of the wii's stats in case you thought I pulled these numbers out of thin air.

Wow. Lots of hostility there. I just posted a link to an article and provided a summary of what it said. You'll note I even prefaced it by saying I did't think we're going to get anything amazing and groundbreaking visually.

Personally, I'm withholding my opinion until there are actual units on store shelves.

Haoshiro
Jun 3, 2006, 08:27 PM
Just an FYI, the post originally came from MLP (mozlapunk.net) which was a site that started based on what the founder called the "N-Game", where people thought a lot of news was getting leaked along with rumors in a huge viral marketting campaign. The "Nintendo ON" along with some posts on BS (brokensaints.org) started this "N-Game."

"boredtraveler", who originally posted this nonsense, also posted several posts (http://www.armleg.com/forum/search.php?search_author=boredtraveler&mforum=mozlapunkmessag) with "insider information" on Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and Red Steel.

If you are hungry for more "rumors" head over their, or to the link above, to get your fill.

One thing he mentions for both Metroid Prime 3 and Red Steel is using dual-remotes for using a weapon in each hand. That of course sounds great, but think about it and you will realize that you would then not be able to use the nunchaku attachment... so how would you walk? :P

x86
Jun 3, 2006, 08:56 PM
... so how would you walk? :P

D-Pad... ?

mac000
Jun 3, 2006, 10:10 PM
Alright so lets just get to the bottom of it...

.. who wants to use "Cain and Abel" and take a look into future products on Nintendo.com?

BlizzardBomb
Jun 4, 2006, 02:11 AM
One thing he mentions for both Metroid Prime 3 and Red Steel is using dual-remotes for using a weapon in each hand. That of course sounds great, but think about it and you will realize that you would then not be able to use the nunchaku attachment... so how would you walk? :P

The nunchuk has shoulder buttons so you would still use the analog.

sk1985
Jun 4, 2006, 11:41 AM
Wow. Lots of hostility there. I just posted a link to an article and provided a summary of what it said. You'll note I even prefaced it by saying I did't think we're going to get anything amazing and groundbreaking visually.

Personally, I'm withholding my opinion until there are actual units on store shelves.
Yeah the hostility wasn't intended. When I later reread what I wrote I edited in an apology (you even copied it in). It just came out that way on paper.

sam10685
Jun 4, 2006, 12:38 PM
-Nintendo decided to withhold a great deal of knockout news from E3 for two reasons. One being that they wanted to reveal it at a show that solely featured Nintendo and Nintendo products, and two wanted to build hype close to launch day.

how much more hype do they want? everybody i know/have heard of is going to buy one of theese bad boys...

cyberdogl2
Jun 4, 2006, 02:09 PM
everything was going well in the article until he started talking about Project Reality, which is about 12 years old. If it wasn't technologically feasible during the n64 era, where was Project Reality's implementation into Gamecube? Totally fake. Hope there is a Spaceworld though.

Dagless
Jun 4, 2006, 02:15 PM
Do they still do Spaceworld?

mac000
Jun 4, 2006, 02:41 PM
i dont know about you people but from videos i've seen from E3 2006 - they were nothign close to this:

http://www.nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com/

(red-steel screens)

sam10685
Jun 4, 2006, 03:04 PM
Do they still do Spaceworld?

the last one was in 2001 for the gamecube. we're hoping for a 2006 one.

GFLPraxis
Jun 4, 2006, 05:01 PM
i dont know about you people but from videos i've seen from E3 2006 - they were nothign close to this:

http://www.nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com/

(red-steel screens)

If you go to IGN and watch the Red Steel trailers Ubisoft released after E3, I played through several parts of it which looked the same, but the swordfighting scene...the swordfight looked MUCH better than what was shown at E3. The sword was much more reflective and the environments looked much better.

GFLPraxis
Jun 4, 2006, 05:03 PM
Yeah the hostility wasn't intended. When I later reread what I wrote I edited in an apology (you even copied it in). It just came out that way on paper.

Oh how well I know the feeling. I have a tendency for paragraph long posts, and I know how it can end up sounding very hostile unintentionally when you lose track of what you've said earlier :o

Haoshiro
Jun 5, 2006, 07:01 AM
Well, if history can tell us anything then if there is a Space World 2006, it'll be mid-late August. That's a ways to wait.

Linkjeniero
Jun 5, 2006, 08:41 AM
Have you missed all the other remarks by Hideo? He has said many times in many different ways that he is done with MGS. He wants to move on and has clearly said he will not do another MGS. Once MGS4 is done he has other non-MGS projects he wants to do anyway.

He has also said that MGS4 is and will only be for PS3. People love to ignore that, but he said it quite clearly. If we see it coming to 360 then we can just assume that someone at MS dropped so much money on him he had to do it. Nintendo sure as heck isn't going to do that.

Yeah, just like he said MGS2 would be the last when it hadn't been released yet. And just like he said it would be PS2-exclusive... Game producers do that a lot; then when they release the "exclusive" game for another console, they say "but it's not the SAME game! It has an extra level / customizable suits / extra word in the title" (basically, a ridiculous difference that makes it another game in their eyes... remember the "exclusive" Resident Evil Zero for GameCube?).

Linkjeniero
Jun 5, 2006, 09:09 AM
Ati would hype the hell out of that GPU; after all it is a GPU they've made and I'm sure they'd praise the 360's in the same way.
You do realize Ati makes the Xbox 360 GPU too, don't you? So I don't think they would hype too much one of their own GPUs over the other; it'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Also games look better during the duration of a system's life. So technically, yes this only the tip of the iceberg, but not just for the wii. All other consoles will start to look better and better.

You can't directly compare numbers here (also, I'm almost sure the Xbox360's processor is NOT a G5, but a custom chip). Nintendo's consoles usually are masterpieces of engineering, while Xbox was only some computer parts slapped together (Xbox360 looks a hell of a lot better though). Gamecube was cheap to produce, but it had VERY interesting features hardware-wise (did you read the 1T-SRAM part in the article you posted? That's an example of how Nintendo gets you the most bang for the buck... I even remember discussing it with a teacher at my University; I just had to know how that thing worked).
A lot of the Xbox360's extra horsepower it's gonna be needed to produce the same graphics as the Xbox, but in HD. So when they say the Wii will look close to the Xbox360 in SD, I believe it... I remember reading some Xbox360's game review in IGN, and they said it looked just like an Xbox game until they turned HD on. Of course that's gonna improve, but just to a degree. Still, the Xbox360 in HD it's gonna be so much better graphically than the Wii, it's not even funny... I just wanted to point out that what's true for HD, might not be for SD; so the OP is not wrong.

Haoshiro
Jun 5, 2006, 09:22 AM
You do realize Ati makes the Xbox 360 GPU too, don't you? So I don't think they would hype too much one of their own GPUs over the other; it'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

You can't directly compare numbers here (also, I'm almost sure the Xbox360's processor is NOT a G5, but a custom chip). Nintendo's consoles usually are masterpieces of engineering, while Xbox was only some computer parts slapped together (Xbox360 looks a hell of a lot better though). Gamecube was cheap to produce, but it had VERY interesting features hardware-wise (did you read the 1T-SRAM part in the article you posted? That's an example of how Nintendo gets you the most bang for the buck... I even remember discussing it with a teacher at my University; I just had to know how that thing worked).
A lot of the Xbox360's extra horsepower it's gonna be needed to produce the same graphics as the Xbox, but in HD. So when they say the Wii will look close to the Xbox360 in SD, I believe it... I remember reading some Xbox360's game review in IGN, and they said it looked just like an Xbox game until they turned HD on. Of course that's gonna improve, but just to a degree. Still, the Xbox360 in HD it's gonna be so much better graphically than the Wii, it's not even funny... I just wanted to point out that what's true for HD, might not be for SD; so the OP is not wrong.

Xbox 360 power is not simply used to achieve HD resolutions. The sad truth is that the 360 has so far been victim to a lot of ports of current-gen games. Hitman: Blood Money doesn't look that different from the Xbox version, for example. It's a bit nicer, some more details and higher texture quality in some places... but publishers/developers just haven't moved over to the next generation yet so you are just seeing slight updates to current gen games.

That's not the fault of the hardware, it's the fault of the software developers.

Linkjeniero
Jun 5, 2006, 10:20 AM
Xbox 360 power is not simply used to achieve HD resolutions. The sad truth is that the 360 has so far been victim to a lot of ports of current-gen games. Hitman: Blood Money doesn't look that different from the Xbox version, for example. It's a bit nicer, some more details and higher texture quality in some places... but publishers/developers just haven't moved over to the next generation yet so you are just seeing slight updates to current gen games.

That's not the fault of the hardware, it's the fault of the software developers.

I realize that. That's why I said that a lot of the extra power will go that way; not all of it. Also, you're saying something very interesting: the crappy games so far (graphically speaking) aren't the hardware's fault, but the developers. And I ask you: so what? It doesn't really matter who's fault it is; only the result. When the PS2 wasn't out yet, everyone (myself included) was talking about the great hardware change it was; how the little video memory and fat pipes were going to change the way games were programmed. I recall reading article after article about this. So what happened? Most of the developers just programmed it the old way, making due with the little video memory it has, wich lead to plenty of crappy looking games. The hardware is capable of more (look at GT4, for instance); but most developers won't go the extra mile. With this, I learned that the easyness to harness the console's power is just as important as the power itself. That's why I think the Wii has a hidden advantage: it is truly a GameCube 2, hardware-wise. Same architecture, same GPU, same RAM; only more (it wouldn't surprise me if GC software could run in the Wii without any changes of emulation at all). So I think there won't be an adjusting period for the developers who have made GC games; they can just do exactly what they did before (only more), wich will lead to initial Wii games to harness most of the console's power, unlike the other two.

Haoshiro
Jun 5, 2006, 11:14 AM
I realize that. That's why I said that a lot of the extra power will go that way; not all of it. Also, you're saying something very interesting: the crappy games so far (graphically speaking) aren't the hardware's fault, but the developers. And I ask you: so what? It doesn't really matter who's fault it is; only the result. When the PS2 wasn't out yet, everyone (myself included) was talking about the great hardware change it was; how the little video memory and fat pipes were going to change the way games were programmed. I recall reading article after article about this. So what happened? Most of the developers just programmed it the old way, making due with the little video memory it has, wich lead to plenty of crappy looking games. The hardware is capable of more (look at GT4, for instance); but most developers won't go the extra mile. With this, I learned that the easyness to harness the console's power is just as important as the power itself. That's why I think the Wii has a hidden advantage: it is truly a GameCube 2, hardware-wise. Same architecture, same GPU, same RAM; only more (it wouldn't surprise me if GC software could run in the Wii without any changes of emulation at all). So I think there won't be an adjusting period for the developers who have made GC games; they can just do exactly what they did before (only more), wich will lead to initial Wii games to harness most of the console's power, unlike the other two.

The "So what" is simple. It sounded like you were suggesting the 360 hardware was only capable of Xbox level graphics only in higher resolution, I was simply trying to dismiss this inaccuracy.

GFLPraxis
Jun 5, 2006, 12:02 PM
So I think there won't be an adjusting period for the developers who have made GC games; they can just do exactly what they did before (only more), wich will lead to initial Wii games to harness most of the console's power, unlike the other two.

That's actually basicly what the Blitz games guy told me at E3. :)

Linkjeniero
Jun 5, 2006, 12:12 PM
The "So what" is simple. It sounded like you were suggesting the 360 hardware was only capable of Xbox level graphics only in higher resolution, I was simply trying to dismiss this inaccuracy.

Fair enough :) .

That's actually basicly what the Blitz games guy told me at E3. :)

That's good to hear :D

harveypooka
Jun 5, 2006, 02:08 PM
"-Another being a sort of master chef cooking game."

Haha! At first I thought Master Cheif? No no, Master chef!