PDA

View Full Version : Iwata on Wii; WiiConnect24 used for DS demos!?!

GFLPraxis
Jun 2, 2006, 06:36 PM
http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=320

It's worth reading the entire interview, or at least the bold parts that we highlighted. Just click the link (I'm too lazy to convert all the formatting). But the most important part I will quote directly:

Q: What will the Wii offer when connected to the Internet?

Iwata: I'll give you a specific example we are planning for. Let's say your Wii is connected to the Internet in a mode that allows activation on a 24-hour basis. This would allow Nintendo to send monthly promotional demos for the DS, during the night, to the Wii consoles in each household. Users would wake up each morning, find the LED lamp on their Wii flashing, and know that Nintendo has sent them something. They would then be able to download the promotional demo from their Wii's to their Nintendo DS's. This will, of course, be possible in gaming stores too, but I think users will enjoy being able to do this within their homes. The key merit here is having promotional material delivered to your home, instead of having to go collect it yourself.

Nintendo had mentioned DS demos before, but that was at GDC 2005 IIRC, so it wasn't something they were being held to. Looks like WiiConnect24 will be used to download DS demos while we sleep- awesome.

evilgEEk
Jun 2, 2006, 07:52 PM
As a proud, new owner of a DS and a future proud owner of a Wii, this is excellent. :)

Dagless
Jun 2, 2006, 08:01 PM
Oh come on, you're not surprised right? It was obvious the Wii would download demos for the DS, given the small size of the demos and the fact it's entirely possible.

though I suppose it's nice to be officially confirmed.

The indie game download thing got me too. As a proud future owner of a Wii dev kit I'm quite chuffed at being able to get a stronger name for myself through Wii downloads.
Please for the love of GOD they better have an iTunes style download service. I know they've said "its iTunes for games", but imagine celebrity download lists, most downloaded, top 100 etc downloads. Would just be absolutely incredible.
I'm just getting this image in my head now. These thousands of games, from mini Wario-Ware style high-score things to mini-grand games. Just littered all over the place. A virtual room, like a computer desktop where you put your games etc.

This download service is just going to be amazing. Nintendo are on to something. I hope they don't balls it up.

Ja Di ksw
Jun 2, 2006, 08:02 PM
This could be really good or really bad. I would love getting demos sent right to me overnight at home. I think that's a great idea. What I don't want to see is a little light flashing every morning and to see ads for Fishy Joe's or Slurm.

sb58
Jun 2, 2006, 08:16 PM
What I don't want to see is a little light flashing every morning and to see ads for Fishy Joe's or Slurm.
nice Futurama reference ;)

Dagless
Jun 2, 2006, 08:21 PM
Ads? nah.

I think the blinking light will have an off-option. I hope its similar to the PowerBook's sleep light. thats so nice. it pulsates beautifully. helps me sleep too. in an Ovaltine kinda way.

mac000
Jun 2, 2006, 08:26 PM
thats cool and all and i am not surprised at all about it, i kind of expected it... cool nontheless but nothing to get excited about...

Dagless
Jun 2, 2006, 09:04 PM
thats cool and all and i am not surprised at all about it, i kind of expected it... cool nontheless but nothing to get excited about...

Maybe not you, but I've yet to find a DS demo station in the UK. I think they're here but certainly none where I go (Ashton, Rochdale, Huddersfield, Manchester etc)... Personally I'm very excited. meh. just me.

Counterfit
Jun 2, 2006, 09:34 PM
There are many within a short distance from my house. The best part is, you don't usually need to bring your own DS. Just restart the one on display, and make sure it doesn't auto-boot from the cart. :p

Supa_Fly
Jun 2, 2006, 11:03 PM
Just remember president & CEO of Nintendo Japan uses a PowerBOOK! This kind of cinergy is something that Apple has done since the beginning & still does today.

Would be nice to see a MacBook done with Princess Peach & Mario editions with icons, outter shells (not fully pink for the Peach).

evilgEEk
Jun 3, 2006, 01:50 AM
though I suppose it's nice to be officially confirmed.
Exactly. :)

jdechko
Jun 5, 2006, 11:17 AM
Sweet! That's gonna rock. Now I only need to get broadband internet at my house.

Anyway, I was thinking about what raggedjimmi said about the Wario-ware-esque games, and I think it would be totally cool if you could download additional minigames that would actually be played as part of the regular game. IE, start the game, and the game is coded to cycle through the minigames on the disk as well as search for any on the internal memory and the removable SD cards. I'm sure they're small enough that they'd load pretty fast.

sam10685
Jun 5, 2006, 12:29 PM
Looks like WiiConnect24 will be used to download DS demos while we sleep- awesome.

if that happens, which it looks very likely, i will get a DS just for that.

Dagless
Jun 5, 2006, 12:38 PM
Sweet! That's gonna rock. Now I only need to get broadband internet at my house.

Anyway, I was thinking about what raggedjimmi said about the Wario-ware-esque games, and I think it would be totally cool if you could download additional minigames that would actually be played as part of the regular game. IE, start the game, and the game is coded to cycle through the minigames on the disk as well as search for any on the internal memory and the removable SD cards. I'm sure they're small enough that they'd load pretty fast.

Oh hell yea that's possible. graphics all seem to be 3D in the Wii Wario game so theres no bitmap 2D art; smaller file size. Might use sound samples already on the disc, little bit of coding. It's entirely possible. WW would make a great Wii showcase not only for the controller but for the WiiConnect24 (which I think will be shortened to WiiConnect)

sam10685
Jun 6, 2006, 02:27 AM
if that happens, which it looks very likely, i will get a DS just for that.

actually i'll get one anyway so i can pllay Tetris with a guy in Russia.

Dagless
Jun 6, 2006, 04:59 AM
actually i'll get one anyway so i can pllay Tetris with a guy in Russia.

I've never seen a guy quote himself before.