Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 20, 2005
I know this question has been exhausted but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for....

How much of a difference does upgrading from 1GB of RAM to 2GB of RAM make? Especially on 3D games (WoW) on the MacBook?

Witty lama

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Sydney
Also, as a side not,
It it worthwile getting the RAM upgrade from Apple at the point of sale or should I buy a 1GB stick independently and add it to one of the existing 256MB sticks.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
JackSYi said:
How much of a difference does upgrading from 1GB of RAM to 2GB of RAM make? Especially on 3D games (WoW) on the MacBook?
Don't know about 3D games, but for other intensive work, and I categorize 3D with them, Apple recommends the 2GB configuration.

attachment.php

Witty lama said:
Also, as a side not,
It it worthwile getting the RAM upgrade from Apple at the point of sale or should I buy a 1GB stick independently and add it to one of the existing 256MB sticks.
Not tried this, but have it from fairly reliable sources: 1GB + 256MB will, almost certainly outperform 512 + 512. Also if you get one 3rd party 1GB chip now, and "just" discard one of the base 256 ones, you can later get another 1GB, when you can afford that and replace the other 256 one. This will be cheaper than replacing 512 MB chips... ;)

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Witty lama said:
Also, as a side not,

I would stick with the matched pairs of RAM for dual channel. Whether it is true or not apple has stated that it may make a difference due to the shared memory for graphics. On the MBP they are claiming little to no difference with dual channel.

If I could do it again I would have definitely paid the $100 for the 1GB upgrade as I just ordered two 512MB sticks for $100. I guess the bonus in my case is that I have two 256MB sticks leftover that I could sell. If you want 2GB though order online as you can get two for about $180, a hell of a lot less than apple's upgrade price.

mattrud

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2006
Im going to install 2GB of RAM into my macbook on my own. Apple charges way too much. I'll be getting the 2GB for around $175 too :)

2 1GB Sticks.

djgraham

macrumors newbie
Performance is the Q

Hi All,

Does anyone really know what the difference is, say with a Macbook Pro 2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo wth 1 or 2 GB??

We all have multiple apps open, a browser, mail, maybe word and our primary app, for me its 3d CAD software...

Designer comment welcome, I don't play games on Mac, not what they're for.

Daz
Architect

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
2gb will give you a difference in almost everything you do. You will notice a big(ger) difference in WoW and other intensive apps.

Andrew D.

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yes, I would suggest upgrading RAM from the aftermarket. You will save a lot of money compared to purchasing it from Apple themselves, significantly a lot.

macandpc

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2007
Definitely upgrade your ram. (makes a HUGE difference). Go to your local bestbuy and get the 1gb for ~100. (if ur lucky) and your set. Worked for me.:)

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2GB upgrade at Apple is only $157 on EDU. $175 in the regular store.... hmm that seems to be right on with the $175 quoted above.

Sure you don't get the uselss 2x512MB stick... :rolleyes:

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I started with 512MB RAM in my CD MB, and then upgraded to 1.25GB. I didn't see much of a difference. But since I upgraded to 2GB, you can really tell the difference, during start up, if you have a lot of apps that open at login, editing photos, video etc.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
Well you need to remember RAM is a lot faster then your Diskdrives if Mac OS runs out of space then it will use it off the disk. Even if you don't use it all it will still go to your disk just so the OS has more free space for the higher priority apps. The more memory the less reading it will need to do the disk and saving speed. If you are playing WOW and you get pauses or such and you hear your disk ticking away then memory would defanitly improve performance. Probably quite alot. Otherwise it is probable just the video card or the speed of your memory or both.

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
You can buy Samsung memory (like the one the Macbook comes with for $68 a stick here.. Spend the money on 2gb. It's really worth it...

Or Kingston memory here for $54.06

Enjoy

BStyle105

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
A much needed upgrade!!!

I am running a late 2006 Macbook 1.83 GHz and going from a 1 GB to 2 GB was a huge improvement.

I am usually only using MS Word 2003 and for some reason this is a very sluggish program (lots of delays and spinning beach balls) with 1 GB of RAM but now I am getting much less delays. Also a much faster boot and spaces works much better.

For $50 (Crucial RAM) this is definitely money well spent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.