Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Hi all, I'm having trouble trying to figure out what will be best for me as far as hosting goes (I know nothing about it). I have read what people have said here before on MR so that lead me looking here...https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?se=%2B&ci=260 Now what I'm going to do is the following...Political Illustrations/cartoons from Flash/Painter, some type of a blog (to blow off daily steam at parts of society) with a reply/comment section if possible and also a few pages to see my work (online portfolio of static images/drawings).

I don't know how much transfer/bandwidth (in the realworld) I'd go through but I'm going to plaster links all over the place to get things rolling for a daily cartoon and as said before Political Illustrations. I may use iWeb to start just to keep it simple and then upload it or if most here think a .mac account would be better with "BUYING" a go daddy Domain name then I'll try that.
The main thing is I want a specfic Domain Name (I have a .com in mind that isn't used yet) and easy to upload my cartoons with blog features (replys could go to an email address and not on the blog page/site itself).

Does that link with the middle of the road package sound good for a start or not enough of what I need for people to look at the cartoons?
Thanks for the help and input on this everyone :D

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
applemacdude said:
http://www.surpasshosting.com/

cheap realiable fast hosting

Thanks, I'll check them out, also I'm getting a list together today and going over some plans with the different companies just to see how they all compair more or less for what I need or want.
As of now it's come down to:
.mac (just plain simple features with some extras & I have a name already)
ASO (people around here seem to like them, good plans as well)
go daddy (seems right to the point with some nice features as well)

I'm also looking at up time, storage, monthly bandwidth and CS Mac friendly if I should have any problems my wall won't be smarter.
How does one look at bandwidth anyway, such as how many people look at the site at once or just a total in a day/week/month? I think I'm willing to spend about $20 US a month on a nice service but that might be overkill for what I need or lack there of.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Artful Dodger said:
Hi all, I'm having trouble trying to figure out what will be best for me as far as hosting goes (I know nothing about it). I have read what people have said here before on MR so that lead me looking here...https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?se=%2B&ci=260 Now what I'm going to do is the following...Political Illustrations/cartoons from Flash/Painter, some type of a blog (to blow off daily steam at parts of society) with a reply/comment section if possible and also a few pages to see my work (online portfolio of static images/drawings).

I don't know how much transfer/bandwith (in the realworld) I'd go through but I'm going to plaster links all over the place to get things rolling for a daily cartoon and as said before Political Illustrations. I may use iWeb to start just to keep it simple and then upload it or if most here think a .mac account would be better with "BUYING" a go daddy Domain name then I'll try that.
The main thing is I want a specfic Domain Name (I have a .com in mind that isn't used yet) and easy to upload my cartoons with blog features (replys could go to an email address and not on the blog page/site itself).

Does that link with the middle of the road package sound good for a start or not enough of what I need for people to look at the cartoons?
Thanks for the help and input on this everyone :D

You won't need that much bandwidth unless your hits start to get very silly. I'm on the small ASO plan, I have only once (in 8 months or so) experienced downtime, and it was for about 15 mins. Their support always answers questions and helps on the same day you submit the question, and generally, they have been great. I pay $5 a month, and get 400mb space, and 10GB bandwidth, which would probably be fine for you. If you wanted to be sure, and safer, you could go for the 1GB space, 25GB bandwidth for $10, which is loads, or even $20 a month for 2.5GB space, 60GB bandwidth. I would have thought the $10 a month would suit you fine, but obviously its your choice - and depends on how many hits you think the site will get. I can only recommend ASO. :D

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Well it's been decided, I'm going with ASO and the medium plan as I really don't need much at this point since I won't have any animations up for some time. Thanks to those that posted here and sent/answered my emails.
I'm just waiting for ASO to allow plans/packages to be sold and then I can start my new adventure/future of displaying my cartoons/art to anyone that wishes to view them :D

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Artful Dodger said:
Well it's been decided, I'm going with ASO and the medium plan as I really don't need much at this point since I won't have any animations up for some time. Thanks to those that posted here and sent/answered my emails.
I'm just waiting for ASO to allow plans/packages to be sold and then I can start my new adventure/future of displaying my cartoons/art to anyone that wishes to view them :D

Great. :)

You won't be disappointed with ASO.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
XIII said:
Great. :)

You won't be disappointed with ASO.

Thanks, so far since their moving you can only get or I should say sign up for hosting at midnight and I was almost done when it shut down at 12:20am lastnight so I have to wait until tonight and try again. This is only a temp. issue as they have emailed me asap about this. I could wait until Monday, at which time the move should be complete and hosting space for sale won't be put to a limit for each day but I'm ready to take the plunge so midnight here I come :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.