PDA

View Full Version : Thanks - I've made the switch

Tom Light
Feb 21, 2003, 11:43 AM
Just a quick note of thanks to those that have posted and provided valuable info here, as they have been my silent support group as I have agonized over the decision to take the plunge and switch to a Mac. (As a reforming MS bigot, this was a *tough* one. ;) )

Took the plunge today and ordered a dual 1.25 PM with about everything I could afford to stuff into it. The 23" Cinema display I'm going to snag from my local Apple Store over the weekend while I await the delivery of the new PM.

In addition, thanks to the mods and admins for providing a great resource for everyone.

Tom

patrick0brien
Feb 21, 2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Tom Light
... ordered a dual 1.25 PM with about everything I could afford to stuff into it. The 23" Cinema display I'm going to snag from my local Apple Store over the weekend...

-Tom

Please take this as a compliment: You BITCH!

I'm incredibly jealous. As a user that actually maxes out his machines for stuff like Elecric Image Renderings, Final Cut, and musical composition - I'm absolutely green with envy.

All I can do is answer back with my brand-new 12PB. (named Frodo - Mini Me or Verne were too low-hanging-fruit):D

Seriously. Welcome. We Mac users may disagree about many things, politics, stupid people, and other things, it still amazes me how well the community pulls together for new users, switchers, and others who need help.

Again, welcome. . . bitch. :)

applemacdude
Feb 21, 2003, 11:54 AM
I'm happy to see another slave of Microsuck to come from the dark side and come to the wonderful world of Apple. Thank Bob your not another ignorant person from the the world of Pc's
;)

Jaykay
Feb 21, 2003, 12:03 PM
Aha now we have you in our cult and you shall never escape mwuahh aha ha ha.

Ok just kidding. Welcome to the light.

medea
Feb 21, 2003, 12:22 PM
ah, well with all that apple cult crap aside, I think you will really enjoy your new mac and OS X. What are you switching from by the way?
Oh and there is actually a forum for switch stories like this.....but whatever.

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 21, 2003, 12:36 PM
That is going to be a heck of a machine, hope you got the 9700 radeon in it if your a gamer. nice big display also. you are going to have fun! enjoy it.

Tom Light
Feb 21, 2003, 12:38 PM
Great, misplaced my first post! :rolleyes:

I've been in IT for ten years, and now supervise a server group supporting 300+ Wintel and UNIX servers. My MCSE long since expired, but I still have my hands in (and on) NT/2000 daily.

At home, I administrate (and write some content for) a Kansas Basketball website, and have been using Dreamweaver and Photoshop on a 1.1 Ghz Athlon box I built myself a couple of years ago. It is still serviceable, but once I got my hands on an eMac and got a taste of OS X, it was over.

Actually, the PM is the fourth Mac I have purchased, as I bought my Dad an eMac for Xmas, and my kids eMacs are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Finally, a Mac for me. :D With the real estate of the Cinema display, I'll be able to write postgame stories, keep an eye on the chatroom, and also be able to edit game pics without fumbling for window after window on the taskbar. Ah....

Sort of getting back on topic, it was tough to decide whether to wait on the 1.42s (and their extra 1 Mb of cache / CPU), but I had waited long enough. I opted to spend some of the $$$ I was saving by getting the 1.25s on extra RAM, and I stuffed 2 GB into it.

Once I read this morning that the Bluetooth option was no longer holding up orders, I took the plunge.

Thanks for the welcome folks. I hope I can begin to contribute around here once I get my feet wet.

Tom

Tom Light
Feb 21, 2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
That is going to be a heck of a machine, hope you got the 9700 radeon in it if your a gamer. nice big display also. you are going to have fun! enjoy it.

No, since I couldn't get any info out of Apple as to when that card would become available - I sort of got tired of waiting and snagged the NVidia with 128 Mb of RAM. I hope to be engaging my son in Doom 3 when it is released, and if the NVidia card won't hack it - I'll swap it out.

Tom

patrick0brien
Feb 21, 2003, 01:06 PM
...it was tough to decide whether to wait on the 1.42s (and their extra 1 Mb of cache / CPU), but I had waited long enough. I opted to spend some of the $$$ I was saving by getting the 1.25s on extra RAM, and I stuffed 2 GB into it.

-Tom

Well, pat yourself on the back a bit for your intuition, or thank serendipity for it - not going for the big machine. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it's just that you'd then more than likely contract a horrible and gruesomely debilitating disease: LAGS (Latest-And-Greatest Syndrome).

You'd sit in the blissful aura of your lovely 1.42DP machine for about a month, maybe two, then something new would come out, thus knocking you out of the top spot, and that bliss.

Revel in the money and time you saved, knowing that your new machine is still one of the sweetest in the world.

I hope I can begin to contribute around here once I get my feet wet.

Y'know, you could get Athlete's Foot from that. :D

FelixDerKater
Feb 21, 2003, 02:58 PM
Took the plunge today and ordered a dual 1.25 PM with about everything I could afford to stuff into it. The 23" Cinema display I'm going to snag from my local Apple Store over the weekend while I await the delivery of the new PM.

I have just one thing to say to you...

"Welcome to Macintosh." :D :p :cool:

Kid Red
Feb 21, 2003, 04:23 PM
Just a quick note of thanks to those that have posted and provided valuable info here, as they have been my silent support group as I have agonized over the decision to take the plunge and switch to a Mac. (As a reforming MS bigot, this was a *tough* one. ;) )

In addition, thanks to the mods and admins for providing a great resource for everyone.

Tom

I'll tell you what, no matter how hard the transition is, just put the sweetest desktop pic you can find on the 23" baby and it will just make you feel better about your purchase. i have the 23" and it's awesome. (hard to find pics this size tho :( )