PDA

View Full Version : 15" suffers the same delay as 17"...

steveg56
Feb 21, 2003, 12:08 PM
February 21, 2003
Apple Delays 15-Inch Powerbook Release

Taiwanese assembly plant sources have told MacWhispers that the same problems responsible for the delayed release of the 17-inch Powerbook have also delayed the release of the 15-inch variant. We are researching to determine the exact issues plaguing both products. But, it is now apparent that whatever the production flaw has been that has held up shipments of the largest Apple notebook, the same problem has appeared in its mid-size brother, as well.

While we do not have actual production numbers, we have confirmed that all of the machines from at least two weeks of two-shift production of the 15-inch Powerbook have been held, and are being reworked to correct a manufacturing defect. We have no word at this time about when Apple might announce the TiBook's replacement. But, our present belief is that this delay will result in both the 17 and 15-inch Powerbook variants actually starting to ship at about the same time in early April.

FelixDerKater
Feb 21, 2003, 02:34 PM
Apple having production problems... What else is new? :rolleyes:

MazerRackham
Feb 24, 2003, 12:01 AM
This is the reason I would NEVER buy the first production run of any new Apple product... they always have issues.

Just look at all the problems people are having with the "sleep magnet/actuator" on the 12" AlBook.

iJon
Feb 24, 2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by MazerRackham
This is the reason I would NEVER buy the first production run of any new Apple product... they always have issues.

Just look at all the problems people are having with the "sleep magnet/actuator" on the 12" AlBook.
whats the problem everyone is having on the 12 inch powerbooks.

iJon

MazerRackham
Feb 24, 2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by iJon
whats the problem everyone is having on the 12 inch powerbooks.

iJon

here (http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20030220081819411&query=12)

Jaykay
Feb 24, 2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by MazerRackham

Yeah Rev 1 always have problems.. Id wait for Rev 2 or whatever to get rid of teething problems.

patrick0brien
Feb 24, 2003, 10:31 AM
-Gents

Here's another solution to the 12PB non-sleep/bent screen issues:

Due to being here and paying attention to the reports about the 12PB, I was well informed about the screen issues when I went to the Apple Store to buy last weekend. When I bought the thing, I also bought an AirPort card - and made them install it there. This, in turn forces them to crack the box of the PB, knowing this, I specifically asked them to make sure the screen's seating was perfect. They did so - no clearance at all - therefore no sleep issues.

I suggest others do the same, have something installed to force the Apple guys to open the box, whether that be an AirPort, or RAM. And I don't know anybody who would buy the 12PB without adding something like this. There are distinct advantages to this as (1) it's still in-store, and (2) you haven't even taken possession of it yet - the onus is on them.

BTW- I would have installed RAM too, but it's theoretical RAM ceiling is 1gb - when the SO DIMMs come out, so I'm waiting. :D