PDA

View Full Version : Guess there is a problem with Power Mac noise


Le Big Mac
Feb 21, 2003, 02:11 PM
Apple to exchange power supply and fans in MDD Power Macs

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=77&e=1&cid=77&u=/mc/20030221/tc_mc/apple_offers_power_mac_power_supply_exchange_program

MorganX
Feb 21, 2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
Apple to exchange power supply and fans in MDD Power Macs

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=77&e=1&cid=77&u=/mc/20030221/tc_mc/apple_offers_power_mac_power_supply_exchange_program

Good move, the right thing to do.

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Feb 21, 2003, 03:33 PM
Why the hell do we have to pay $19.95 for a problem they gave!?!?! Shipping and Handling!?!?! I paid that with the original purchase, right? Damn.

MorganX
Feb 21, 2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger
Why the hell do we have to pay $19.95 for a problem they gave!?!?! Shipping and Handling!?!?! I paid that with the original purchase, right? Damn.

Considering the poor customer service Apple was giving, I wouldn't complain about $19.95. Then again, I'm not having the problem.

I won't let up on someone not doing right, but when they make an effort to correct it, I'll gladly meet them halfway.

crazytom
Feb 21, 2003, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't complain either. Now I need to decide what I need to do.

I made a mod to my PS, installing two quiet Thermaltakes...I don't know if it would be worth it to exchange the PS's now. How much less heat would a 360W PS generate than a 400W? How much energy would I save? Will Apple get pissed if the noticed I made the mod (since technically, it does void my warranty). How much quieter are the new PS compared to the old? So many questions, so little time!

Bear
Feb 21, 2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by crazytom
I wouldn't complain either. Now I need to decide what I need to do.

I made a mod to my PS, installing two quiet Thermaltakes...I don't know if it would be worth it to exchange the PS's now. How much less heat would a 360W PS generate than a 400W? How much energy would I save? Will Apple get pissed if the noticed I made the mod (since technically, it does void my warranty). How much quieter are the new PS compared to the old? So many questions, so little time!
Did installing the thermaltakes quiet your machine? I'm not familiar with this item. If it is quieter, then you probably don't need to do the exchange.

As for the power consumption, all things being equal, the power consumption will be the same. The rating of the powersupply is how many watts of power it can supply. Not how much it draws all the time.

As for the heat, given the same power consumption, the heat should be about the same.

neb_greely
Feb 21, 2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Bear
Did installing the thermaltakes quiet your machine? I'm not familiar with this item. If it is quieter, then you probably don't need to do the exchange.



I did the same modifications with the fans in the power supply. It did noticeably quiet it, but the machine is by no means a quiet machine, still. What I noticed -- I believe, correct me if I'm wrong -- is that with the apple exchange program they replace the whole power supply (and thus its two internal fans) plus one other fan (system fan?).
Which I'm hoping will make it even quieter. Another benefit to installing Apple's fix is that my machine would theoretically um...come back under warranty. Since the messed with parts would be replaced.

crazytom
Feb 21, 2003, 08:28 PM
Did installing the thermaltakes quiet your machine? I'm not familiar with this item. If it is quieter, then you probably don't need to do the exchange.

Yes, the thermaltakes (Volcano 5's---I just had to remove the heatsink from the fans) made a big difference in the noise of the machine, I can hardly hear them. The original Delta's provided 37 CFM airflow, the thermaltakes have a rating of 32 CFM and only 31dBA. Now it's just the big 120mm Delta blower that makes all the racket. It's just a little louder than my G4 450. I'd like it a little quieter, so I just need to find an appropriate replacement fan (that will cycle higher depending on temperature) and probably install an exhaust blower in my (only) free pci slot to keep things happily cool. My system is stuffed now with 3 PCI cards, 2 DVD drives, 3 7200 RPM hard drives, so I don't want to leave anything to chance.