Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rickay726

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
New Jersey
I want to buy another gb of Ram for my iMac making it 1 and 512, but i dont no what kind to get, i dnt want to spend and out rageso price for a gb of ram, nothing really over 110$ thats my limit. and i was also wondering what kind you guys have if u have upgraded ur macs. And my last question is that say later on down the road i want to get another GB of ram, but my iMac only has 2 slots what would i do about this.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
First suggestion: be specific.
Since your sig says iMac G5, and you say you have 2 memory sockets, then by inference you have a 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 GHz iMac G5 from before the iSight model came out. Therefore, you are looking at DDR PC3200 (400 MHz) 184 pin DIMM RAM

The iMac G5 is THE most finicky desktop Mac when it comes to RAM compatibility. If the SPD settings are not correct on the RAM module, it will fail. Therefore I don't recommend trying PC generic RAM in this machine, stick to RAM that is tested and guaranteed compatible with your specific machine.
You can install a 1 gb beside an existing 512. When you need to move up to the machine's maximum of 2 Gb, remove the 512 and install another 1 Gb module.

Second suggestion: If asking "Where to buy" questions, how about telling us where you are? Freehold, Mars, that doesn't help.

If you are in the USA, the top three vendors cited here at MR are: Crucial.com, OWC (Macsales.com) and my recommendation: Data Memory Systems.
You are looking at $88 - $95 per Gb.

Third suggestion: Type with conventional spelling and punctuation. More people will be willing to help you if you make it easier to read. Save the other stuff for your cell phone.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Terrific advice as always, CanadaRAM.

BTW, Freehold is in New Jersey...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
ero87 said:
is the infinite loop in jersey too? :D

It's in Cupertino, CA...duh! ;)

(I did have a college teammate from Freehold though...)

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Sorry for being off topic, but since CanadaRam is in the house...
I saw someone post saying they had 1.12GB in a G4 iMac (can't remember specifics of the model)
I have a 17" G4 1GHz iMac that I would like to max the RAM. According to apple it already is (512MB - PC2100 -in the expansion so-dimm). Will that expansion slot accept a 1GB so-dimm, even though apple says only 512?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
neocell said:
Sorry for being off topic, but since CanadaRam is in the house...
I saw someone post saying they had 1.12GB in a G4 iMac (can't remember specifics of the model)
I have a 17" G4 1GHz iMac that I would like to max the RAM. According to apple it already is (512MB - PC2100 -in the expansion so-dimm). Will that expansion slot accept a 1GB so-dimm, even though apple says only 512?
Yes, the DDR G4 iMacs do accept a 1 Gb module. The user accessible SODIMM socket in this machine is nominally PC2100, but any Mac memory seller will recommend a PC2700 for it, same as for a G4 Powerbook.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
CanadaRAM said:
Yes, the DDR G4 iMacs do accept a 1 Gb module. The user accessible SODIMM socket in this machine is nominally PC2100, but any Mac memory seller will recommend a PC2700 for it, same as for a G4 Powerbook.
Thanks a lot for that. Time to upgrade again... how much are your 1GB? I'll be in Victoria in the fall, maybe I can wait till then

**EDIT**
Thanks for the PM CanadaRAM :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.