Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I really like my "new" G4 iBook. My only issue is with the keyboard. It works just fine, but it seems kind of uneven or something. I guess it's because of the way the metal plate sits under the plastic clamps. Using the upper-right portion of the keyboard can be a rather "bouncy" experience. :D

The only visual sign of the unevenness is the Space bar -- the right end of it seems to sit very slightly higher than the left end. Again, it works fine, the whole keyboard feels okay and is easy to use, it just looks a little funny.

So my question is, if you were me would go through the whole process of bugging Apple about a very minor cosmetic defect that has no effect on performance, or would you just go "meh, it's an iBook" and shrug it off. I'm just curious to see how the folks on this forum react to issues like this.

My gut feeling is that any iBook keyboard I get in replacement will be pretty much exactly the same; they're just kinda cheaply made in general. I'm glad it works well.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's just the iBook keyboard, so Apple won't do anything about it. I've got used to it and now it feels weird using other keyboards. It's actually a very easy keyboard to type quickly on. :)

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
mad jew said:
It's just the iBook keyboard, so Apple won't do anything about it. I've got used to it and now it feels weird using other keyboards. It's actually a very easy keyboard to type quickly on. :)

That's my feeling about it too. It's actually easier for me than the full-size Apple keyboard for some reason. But I type with two fingers. ;)

What's funny is, I went on various iBook sites, and in every single photo of every single keyboard, their Space bar looked just like mine. :D I think it has something to do with the fact that the ribbon cable seems to run up underneath that part of the keyboard. But what do I know....

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I had the same issue on my iBook. Madjew is right (surprise, surprise), it's the ribbon that pops up the right side of the spacebar and the surrounding keys a bit. I lifted up my keyboard and bent the ribbon a little bit more, but that's not entirely adviseable.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
Huh, I never noticed the spacebar being higher on the right before. Now that's gonna bother me..

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
marissaaa said:
Huh, I never noticed the spacebar being higher on the right before. Now that's gonna bother me..
ditto. in fact. several years, and i hadn't noticed such a thing with the iBook keyboards..

the keyboards are lovely though, just flimsy. but very easy to type wicked fast on (albeit loudly).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.