PDA

View Full Version : Recording In Game Movies???

Garand
Jun 5, 2006, 09:14 AM
Not sure if this belongs in the gaming or video forum but here goes. I would like to be able to record in-game movies and not impacting game performance. Is there a way to connect a VCR, or camcorder to my computer video card and mirror the screen image and record the image and sound on screen. This is my current set up.

Dual 2.5 G5
RAM 1.5 GB
OS - 10.4.6
Card - Radeon X800xt
20" LCD running games at 1680x1050

In theory I would like to be in game and be able to hit the record button as needed to record the image mirrored to the recording device. Ideally I would like to record the full 1680x1050 imdage. Any ideas on what would be needed to make this happen. Thanks.

DougTheImpaler
Jun 5, 2006, 09:19 AM
In Windows, I know you can do it in FRAPS...but I've never heard of it for Mac...hmmm

Garand
Jun 5, 2006, 09:38 AM
Key here is not to impact game performance. I understand that fraps does impact game performace a bit as it is running in the background. There is a program for mac - cant remember the name right now but it impacts game performance when running. I was hoping to record right to a recording device. In some cases I may record for 20 minutes or so and then edit down the movie.

BTW, I would be using it for WW2OL (battleground europe).

Thanks.

DougTheImpaler
Jun 5, 2006, 09:42 AM
Well if you're goign to record to an external device, you won't have a problem as long as you're mirroring yoru display and you can somehow output the DVI to yoru recording device...that's the only way you'd get 1680x1050 or anything higher than S-video, for that matter.

Pees330
Jun 5, 2006, 01:02 PM
FRAPS works great for this

harveypooka
Jun 5, 2006, 02:06 PM
Surely with Dual Core this shouldn't be much of a problem? But I suppose it depends. Try Snapz Pro:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

I'd imagine that'd be your best bet. Give it a go, see the frame rate impact it has.