Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
oh WOW!!

that's horrible!!!

I wouldn't even touch the thing....I'd do everything possible to have a new one shipped to me promptly!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
At least apple is shipping him a new one + giving him $100 of his next apple purchase!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Hemingray
Dear God! I can't believe FedEx had the guts to even deliver that... I would have HATED to be that delivery person...

I'm with u....between that and the movie Castaway....they don't look so hot...

ha ha ha.... :p

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Ermmm

I dont know about that one. You guys think maybe he took the iMac out of the box, and beat the living hell out of the box? I dont think FedEx can be stupid enough to deliver that. When they deliver, they scan the tracking number, and I dont think the guy would have the guts to do that...

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
are we getting to the point now that people here are going to argue the authenticity of the images posted up....no matter what they are of?! :confused:

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by eyelikeart
are we getting to the point now that people here are going to argue the authenticity of the images posted up....no matter what they are of?! :confused:

I think I am. I just cant believe Apple an FedEx could do that. I mean: If I worked for FedEx, and I saw an Apple "iMac" sitting like that, I would be scared to tell anyone about it!:D

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
worked for FedEx

I used to work for FedEx and they would have told the guy that he can refuse shipment due to the damage. It certainly would have slowed down the arrival of his new iMac but I'm sure the second one wouldn't have been damaged. I wouldn't have accepted it at all.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
no i beleive it. i have seen it happen before with fedex. just with other apple products of course. my school orderd a 22" cinema display and the box was soggy and wet..luckly the monitor was fine.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I really dont want to hear this!!! I am waiting for my PowerMac 1Ghz DP + 17" LCD!!! (I know I started the thread!!)

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Soggy and Wet?

But were there huge holes in it with the box half way gone? Just the other day....hehe....I went outside with an old fedex box and smacked it a few times with a baseball bat. It wasnt soggy, but it sure looked like that...

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Originally posted by eyelikeart

Well, I mean, those are OBVIOUSLY CG-rendered boxes. Real cardboard doesn't rip like that. My third cousin knows a guy who makes cardboard boxes, so I know what I'm talking about. It's all about CORRUGATION, people. And if the box had really been "flooded" some of the ink near the bottom of the box would have run. And you'll notice you don't see any FedEx stickers ANYWHERE on the box. This guy obviously had too much time on his hands and wanted to show us a fake rendered cardboard box in order to draw clicks to his site. Mark my words, next week you'll see "iMac TFT Arrived: Brought to you by Microsoft!"

(Wow, this ad-hoc reasoning is EASY. ;))

Seriously, though, the guy SHOULD be talking to FedEx. Not that he shouldn't take the hundred bucks from Apple if they're offering, but since FedEx never would have accepted a box for shipping in that condition, and since the delivery guy KNEW what happened to it, it's clear that the damage happened while the box was in FedEx's care. If it were my machine, I would get the tracking number and not only contact FedEx, but also contact Apple, give them the tracking number, and ask them to hound FedEx from their end as well. A big corporate customer is likely to get further with them than an individual recipient. There's no reason Apple should be paying for this problem, and it sounds like the folks at the Apple Store were a lot nicer about it than they strictly had to be, considering he didn't even buy the machine there. Most companies would have quickly thrown up the NMP(*) field and sent him on his way.

(*) For those who don't know, NMP is "not my problem," and is a force nearly as powerful as the Reality Distortion Field.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.