PDA

View Full Version : 360 users, are you having fun?

floyde
Jun 5, 2006, 04:14 PM
I'm going to The States this weekend and I just can't stop thinking that I need to buy an Xbox 360 (it's much cheaper there than it is over here).

Anyway, I had previously decided that I would buy a Wii (at $200 I might buy 2 just for kicks;) ) and one (just one) of the "others". So after the PS3's price was announced, suddenly I wasn't so sure that it was the best choice. It seems to me that the high price is just a result of Sony's stubborn desire to push Blue-Ray forward, a technology that could potentially meet the same fate as the LaserDisc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc) :eek: (the same is true of HD-DVD, but there's no need to comment on this, it's just some background info about my motives).

So the bottom-line is that I'm undecided and I would like for 360 owners to share their playing experiences and their satisfaction level. Please refrain from using numbers and technical comparisons that are nothing more than speculation (unless, of course, you are a computer chip engineer or something along those lines :p ). All I need to know is wether you are having fun with it, and especially if you feel that the 360 is a "huge" step forward from the original Xbox (I always felt that it was nothing more than a CPU and graphics card upgrade). If you hate it, please let me know also. So, are you overwhelmed or underwhelmed by the 360?

P.S. Please note that I have a lot of PS2 games and that my favorite game franchises are FF and MGS, so the 360 has to be very good for me to choose it over the PS3.

Zman5225
Jun 5, 2006, 04:19 PM
I really enjoy mine. I like the marketplace a lot, xbox live is very easy to use, and all the games I like to play are enjoyable on it. The downloadable content is neat, and you can dl demos of a lot of games to try out before you buy them. You can customize the way your dashboard looks like also.

Another thing I really like are the controllers. They feel really good in my hands, and they are wireless if you go with the premium 360. I like to not have anyone trip over cords as they are reaching for stuff etc.

The only thing that I don't like is it still feels like a fps machine. Most of the games are fps, or sports. That will soon change though as we get closer to the holiday season, and they have a TON of great looking games that I can't wait to play.

Overall, yes, definately a big step forward from the old xbox.

I don't think you'd go wrong with a Wii and a 360.

AJ Muni
Jun 5, 2006, 04:20 PM
I LOVE my 360. It was an impulse buy, and I thought I was going to regret buying it. There isnt one day that I dont play it atleast once. With all the updates its getting, and more games coming out, its only going to get better. Are you going to be able to connect to xbox live?

Bubbasteve
Jun 5, 2006, 04:23 PM
As of now I'm very disappointed with my 360...I bought the 360 out of hype and Halo 3. The EA Sports games are an absolute joke on the 360 (i.e. Madden, NBA Live), but hopefully that will change with the upcoming NCAA Football and Madden 07. I'm really looking forward to other games such as Gears of War, Alan Wake, and of course Halo 3.

The only worthwhile games for the 360 as of now (and this is just my opinion) are COD2 and Fight Night Round 3 (GRAW and Oblivion I didn't care too much for but based on the reviews I'm the one of the few that think so)

I guess where I'm going with this is to buy it

hanxu
Jun 5, 2006, 04:24 PM
360 is fun fun fun.

I love it... Oblivioion, top spin tennis(like it personally), burnout..... you name it. Plus tons of arcade games.

The improvement of my ps2 is massive. I do miss final fantasy and that, and i was gonna wait for ps3, but the price seriously scared me, plus, I didn't like the idea of blueray... And the graphic on 360 is not that much different on ps3 (I think), yes go get one.

Jaffa Cake
Jun 5, 2006, 04:29 PM
I bought Miss Jaffa Cake one for her birthday and we've had a lot of fun with it. I'm not a big gamer or anything but I've enjoyed it.

I'll agree with Zman5225 about the controllers we had an Xbox before the 360 and my left hand would often cramp up with the old style controllers. The new version is a lot more comfortable and I've not had any problems with them so far. We've got wired controllers but have so far managed to avoid costly and embarrassing tripping incidents.

One complaint I would have though is that it does get quite noisy, especially if it's warm in the flat. But you can just turn the sound up if it bothers you. :D :cool:

I'll leave the last word to the missus, who reports, "Ooo, it's fab! The graphics are superb and I like the sound."

AJ Muni
Jun 5, 2006, 04:32 PM
As of now I'm very disappointed with my 360...I bought the 360 out of hype and Halo 3. The EA Sports games are an absolute joke on the 360 (i.e. Madden, NBA Live),

Remember those games were rushed for the release date. From what I hear Madden 07 is going to be great, and personally I think nba 2k6 is way better than nba live.

Abulia
Jun 5, 2006, 04:38 PM
I really enjoy my 360 but I consider myself a "non typical" gamer and the 360 suits my needs perfrectly. (HDTV, surround sound, "adult" titles, etc)

So, yea, perfectly satisfied and having fun. My 360 has no technical issues.

I'd be remiss if I didn't link my Xbox 360 Review (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=164310). :D

2nyRiggz
Jun 5, 2006, 04:40 PM
My 360 is being worked really hard now......that should answer your question.

Bless

floyde
Jun 5, 2006, 04:42 PM
Are you going to be able to connect to xbox live?
I was thinking I might, but I'm not sure I want to pay monthly fees, I don't have time to play that often. Or is there some sort of free, but not so cool, membership?

Well, lots of good comments so far. I think you guys are gonna make me $400 poorer this week :eek: (cause the cheaper one is a no-no, right?)

Zman5225
Jun 5, 2006, 04:49 PM
It comes with a free silver xbox live membership for life, which gives you unlimited access to most downloadable content and all that good stuff. Also, I think once a month or so you can play other people on the xbox live free weekends. Pretty much you get everything except the ability to play online, which you will want :)

Z

Dagless
Jun 5, 2006, 04:52 PM
I bought Miss Jaffa Cake one for her birthday and we've had a lot of fun with it. I'm not a big gamer or anything but I've enjoyed it.

I'll agree with Zman5225 about the controllers we had an Xbox before the 360 and my left hand would often cramp up with the old style controllers. The new version is a lot more comfortable and I've not had any problems with them so far. We've got wired controllers but have so far managed to avoid costly and embarrassing tripping incidents.

One complaint I would have though is that it does get quite noisy, especially if it's warm in the flat. But you can just turn the sound up if it bothers you. :D :cool:

I'll leave the last word to the missus, who reports, "Ooo, it's fab! The graphics are superb and I like the sound."

"aye hope you didn't come all the way to talk about Xbox's, I'm going to a conference about global warming" -modified ditty from an infamous guy from Hull ;)

I dunno. My bro has a 360, I think if I bought one now I'd regret it. If you're only considering getting one then you'll be much happier waiting for the price drop due in 4 or so months (PS3 and Wii time). If you were anything more than considering then you would own one now, maybe?

cyberdogl2
Jun 5, 2006, 04:57 PM
With the updates coming (or have they already come) to Live, 360 keeps getting better and better by the week it seems. A total contast to ps3.

saunders45
Jun 5, 2006, 05:05 PM
"aye hope you didn't come all the way to talk about Xbox's, I'm going to a conference about global warming" -modified ditty from an infamous guy from Hull ;)

I dunno. My bro has a 360, I think if I bought one now I'd regret it. If you're only considering getting one then you'll be much happier waiting for the price drop due in 4 or so months (PS3 and Wii time). If you were anything more than considering then you would own one now, maybe?

Don't count on the price drop. It may not happen.

risc
Jun 5, 2006, 05:24 PM
The 360 is a great piece of gaming hardware. The only problem is some of the games don't live up to the consoles promise <cough>EA I'm talking about your games</cough>. Where the 360 really goes above and beyond though is the network integration. Xbox live is fantastic, the market place is a great place for demos etc, and my favourite would be Xbox live arcade which is totally amazing if you like old school games.

If you want the 360 to become an all in one under the TV device though you do need a copy of Windows XP Media Center Edition as a media center extender I can't fault the 360 at all. I've had no problems streaming HD WMVs, HDTV, or transcoding other formats in real time using Transcode 360 via 100Mb ethernet.

When you take the 2 paragraphs above as 1 statement hell yeah the 360 is an amazing step forward compared to any of the older consoles. How many of them had totally integrated network gaming, a 1 stop demo and old school game shop, and worked as an all in 1 media centers? Most importantly it's fun (if you like the games on it).

I've got no interest in comparing it to the other consoles that are scheduled to come out. I'll hold of judgement until they are released, and even then at AUD$999 for the top of the line PS3 Sony are taking the p1$$. Having said that you have put down that your 2 favourite games and both of these are Sony exclusives is there really a point buying a console that may not ever have your 2 favourite titles (or you'll be forced to wait years for them to arrive)?

Also I've had 0 issues with my 360, and everyone I know IRL has had no issues either.

Finally as for the "rumoured" price drop I think that all went out the window when Sony released the official pricing of the PS3.

MacRumorUser
Jun 5, 2006, 05:29 PM
Have enjoyed mine since December 2005.....

Have some great games that I really enjoy = and theres some cracking stuff coimng out in the next few months too.

Gears of War and Viva Pinata are on the top of my shopping list......

floyde
Jun 5, 2006, 05:59 PM
Having said that you have put down that your 2 favourite games and both of these are Sony exclusives is there really a point buying a console that may not ever have your 2 favourite titles (or you'll be forced to wait years for them to arrive)?

I forgot to mention Zelda, which is also one of my favorite franchises. I had to give it up in the "last round", but it turned out ok. Now I'll finally get to play Wind Waker on the Wii. So I think I can do without FF (I think MGS will be released for Xbox 360 eventually). The question, I think, is wether I'll be willing to pay $700 (and miss out on the Wii and Zelda again) just to be able to play 2 games. I don't really feel like paying that much, I don't need a Blue-Ray player, and there are tons of other games that I'm sure I'll enjoy.

Finally as for the "rumoured" price drop I think that all went out the window when Sony released the official pricing of the PS3.
My thoughts exactly, they don't need to drop the price anymore. And that's another reason why I'm starting to feel that I don't need to wait. If I were to buy a PS3, it'd be after a price drop, and that's like 2 years away. Even if the PS3 turned out to be the greatest console ever, it would still be the most expensive console ever, and I wouldn't buy it. So why wait to see if it's any good? or why wait for a 360 price drop that wont happen this year?

Jaffa Cake
Jun 5, 2006, 06:02 PM
"aye hope you didn't come all the way to talk about Xbox's, I'm going to a conference about global warming" -modified ditty from an infamous guy from Hull ;)If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, he's more into croquet than computer games. ;)

Bubbasteve
Jun 5, 2006, 06:05 PM
Remember those games were rushed for the release date. From what I hear Madden 07 is going to be great, and personally I think nba 2k6 is way better than nba live.
Well I hope it's better than last years Madden...and I agree with NBA2k6 (well now atleast)

risc
Jun 5, 2006, 06:23 PM
Floyde you sound like a good candidate for the Wii60. ;) Have fun playing both consoles and wait for Sony to pull their heads out of their a$$es and release the PS3 at a reasonable price. Or should I say wait for the price of technology to drop so the PS3 can hit a reasonable price point.

coffey7
Jun 5, 2006, 06:58 PM
I have an xbox 360 and I only have one game for it. Oblivion.I have played it for about 80 hours and I am having a blast. if you don't think you would like that game then I would wait a little while longer for a must have title to come out.I just play the online older games and just Oblivion.When other games go down a little in price(on used shelves) I will pick them up.

MacsomJRR
Jun 5, 2006, 07:03 PM
I'm a big sports fan and I wasn't very impressed with the sports titles currently available for the 360. Madden was pretty terrible and the first baseball game (MLB 2k6) was just as bad. Fifa road to the world cup and world cup are more fun but still not great compared to games available on other systems. I think I'm gonna be sticking with Boot Camp and PC games for awhile.

sb58
Jun 5, 2006, 07:04 PM
I have a 360. iHave Oblivion, Madden 06, PGR3, and Kameo. i only really liked Madden and Oblivion. Madden got repetitive, and Oblivion got boring. I'm gonna hook up to Live soon(i hope). But other than that, its nothing special... i'm waiting for Halo 3 really. and Gears of War. but sadly, i'm playing Halo and Halo 2 on my 360...

sam10685
Jun 5, 2006, 07:21 PM
i'm definitley getting a Wii (or maybe 2) and although i am anti-microsoft, i think i'll get a 360... Gears of War is really intriguing me. so is the sound of 'Grand Theft Auto 4.' all this ofcourse when the 399 price tag drops a bit.

Dagless
Jun 5, 2006, 07:45 PM
i'm definitley getting a Wii (or maybe 2) and although i am anti-microsoft, i think i'll get a 360... Gears of War is really intriguing me. so is the sound of 'Grand Theft Auto 4.' all this ofcourse when the 399 price tag drops a bit.

Same here. Those 2 sound interesting. I'd love a less bug ridden GTA game, chances are Rockstar will take note and make GTA4 spectacular. Oh and Halo 3.

My 360 time will come. but not at it's current price. for now I have a blast stealing goes on my brothers and mates 360. no commitment yet...

DougTheImpaler
Jun 5, 2006, 08:49 PM
I love my 360. Project Gotham 3 and DOA4 are both very excellent games. If you like auto racing or 1-on-1 fighting games, you won't go wrong with those. And on top of it, there's so much you can try-before-you-buy in terms of demos. It's really really great. :)

Haoshiro
Jun 5, 2006, 09:54 PM
I really do love my 360 so far (had it since January) but have had little time to play. The quick pickup and play games of the arcade have been great and refreshing, I'm also loving Table Tennis and am looking forward to getting a bunch of new games soon.

I definitely think it's a big leap over Xbox, only that several developers aren't showing it any next-gen love and porting current-gen games to it with little improvement (EA, anyone?) but it has still been great.

Agreed that some of the big draws for me are Gears of War, some of the new (fresh) RPGs coming to it, etc. As for stealth (MGS), I really prefer Splinter Cell and Double Agent is on it's way...

Networking/Live and Dashboard/Marketplace are also great things I love. I do not regret my purchase, I regret not hardly ever having time to enjoy it!

michaelltd
Jun 6, 2006, 01:13 AM
My 360 is played only occationally...

There just haven't been many games on the system that have peaked my interest. Nothing against the system itself, cause it's great and Live is excellent, but the games just aren't there for me yet..

PS2 has been getting most of my attention lately.

sam10685
Jun 6, 2006, 02:12 AM
also, i know this is an old game but i LOVE the Burnout games and really want to get Burnout Revenge on the 360 when my time arises.

maybe Wii will get it. hope so. 360 if not.

MacRumorUser
Jun 6, 2006, 04:25 AM
also, i know this is an old game but i LOVE the Burnout games and really want to get Burnout Revenge on the 360 when my time arises.

maybe Wii will get it. hope so. 360 if not.

Well by the time Wii is out there will probably be a new burnout.

I like burnout revenge and full auto on my 360, more so than PGR3....

Piarco
Jun 6, 2006, 06:25 AM
Since the COD2 update I've been hammering it on XBL - love it. XBL & marketplace are absolutely fantastic, even if the level of available media isn't quite up to the volume implied by MS before launch.
GRAW is awesome on and off line. PGR3 is a great "get your mates 'round" game too.
I would still love to say I've had no issues with my 360, but it died on me just before I went on holiday in mid-May (three red lights of death - i.e. hardware failure) and it'll be picked up by UPS tomorrow for repair/replacement. At least MS picks up the shipping costs (if not the packing... unlike good ol' Apple!).

Get one. You won't regret it. And I'll be getting a Wii too....

sam10685
Jun 6, 2006, 06:40 AM
Well by the time Wii is out there will probably be a new burnout.

I like burnout revenge and full auto on my 360, more so than PGR3....

i hope whatever comes out goes to the Wii. thinking about it... the series would make excellent use of that controller.

floyde
Jun 6, 2006, 12:17 PM
Well I just found $750 that I forgot to charge a client (true story, don't ask:eek: :o ). There's no stopping this now, and I'm probably getting 4 games for it too :cool:

Catfish Jones
Jun 7, 2006, 05:07 PM
I'm happy with my Xbox 360 and it has nothing to do with the three marginally better games I own for it. A functionally and ergonomically amazing wireless controller, downloadable demos, Xbox Live Arcade and the ever-improving Dashboard sold me. Of course, I could have held off until this winter for the four upcoming titles I've been looking forward to but I had the opportunity to get mine at $100 off. It seems similar to your situation.

I recommend you buy it only if you can comfortably part with the cash and have a few unfinished games on your previous console(s) to tide you over any dry spells between now and Christmas. By February 2007, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the console to anyone.

sb58
Jun 7, 2006, 05:37 PM
i just got Hitman:Blood Money and a new *wired* controller. Maybe that'll breath life into my currently boring Console. i got the wired controller for two reasons:
1)I wanted another controller
2)I can use it for PC games too. and yes, i'm on a Mac forum and the only computer i have is a crappy HP.

benyaimin
Jun 7, 2006, 08:34 PM
360's awesome man. get one. the marketplace is awesome since you can download demos and trailers and the graphics are just amazing, especially on HDTVs.

Kalns
Jun 7, 2006, 09:06 PM
The 360 is great fun. I only own two games (PDZ and Oblivion) and I feel very satsfied. Although I'm not as into games as I once was I can still say this is the best system I've ever owned (out of NES, Genesis, 32X, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox).

Amishexmachina
Jun 8, 2006, 02:36 AM
The controller thing is interesting. Strange though it may seem, I am a diehard fan of the original Xbox controller (Or as my circle of friends likes to call it, "The Duke"), and I really could not get used to the S when it came out. What gets me is, the 360 controller feels really natural. Perhaps it's because it's wireless, or perhaps it's because I am associating a new machine with a new way of interfacing, but all the strange misgivings I had about the S seemed to dissapate when I pick up the 360 wireless.

Also, the PS3 dualshake impressions I hear just seem to give me a bad vibe. Granted we won't know what it's gonna be like till we actually pick it up, but playing Warhawk with that controller reminds me of a six year old playing with toy TIE fighters while making the thwappy laser sounds.

XNine
Jun 8, 2006, 09:51 AM
The 360 is a great console and has some really great games. As of late (thanks to clayj) I've been positioning Lara Croft to see her cooter. Call of Duty 2 is phenomenal, as well as GRAW.

However, you may want to wait for the PS3 as it will have MGS and FF on it. The MGS series really only works on PS's because of the controllers. Both Twin Snakes and MGS2: Substance were horrible transitions to other platforms because of the controls. I've heard the FF game for 360 is horrible as well.

If you're not looking to spend on a PS3, then get a 360 for sure. It's a great console.

floyde
Jun 8, 2006, 09:25 PM
It turns out the 360 costs the same here in Mexico (stupid import fees:p ), so I went out and bought one today. I'm gonna get the games on my trip to the US this saturday.

Ok, so first of all, don't ever do that... Don't ever buy a console thinking "I'll get the games tomorrow and it'll be alright". It won't :eek: It's like having a Ferrari that you can't drive :( Anyway, from what I've seen so far it rocks! It'd be nice if they included two controllers (for once), but apart from that and the nuclear warhead... err, ac adapter (what's up with that?) I've got no complaints :)

Also, I got the white box but it didn't include a headset, I got a remote control, which is fine by me (I won't be getting into live just yet). But please tell me that the US package doesn't include a media control and a headset, or else I'll feel scammed. I guess they exchange headsets for media controls in non-US Xboxes because most Live users are American.

Bubbasteve
Jun 8, 2006, 09:40 PM
But please tell me that the US package doesn't include a media control and a headset, or else I'll feel scammed.
Sorry to break the news but it does... well mine did at least

Haoshiro
Jun 8, 2006, 09:44 PM
But please tell me that the US package doesn't include a media control and a headset, or else I'll feel scammed.

I bought the Premium package and only received a headset, the remote control comes separately. :(

huck500
Jun 8, 2006, 10:27 PM
I don't think mine came with a remote...I'll have to check the box.

I'm really enjoying the console, and not having a game when you buy it isn't so bad if you have an internet connection....the downloadable demos and arcade games have taken up about half of the time I've spent on the console.

Table Tennis is great, Oblivion is really interesting, but I'm not sure I'm ready for it. I like dropping stuff and watching it roll down the hill, though. Burnout is amazing, so fast.

You can also stream music and photos from iTunes and iPhoto with Connect360, which works flawlessly. The networking experience I had with this machine was the best I've ever had, bar none.

Highly recommended.

XNine
Jun 8, 2006, 10:51 PM
The remote control was for a limited time at launch and just after, I believe they stopped featuring them after christmas...

floyde
Jun 9, 2006, 03:08 PM
The remote control was for a limited time at launch and just after, I believe they stopped featuring them after christmas...
hmm... so I guess that's how Bubbasteve got his.

I'm really enjoying the console, and not having a game when you buy it isn't so bad if you have an internet connection....the downloadable demos and arcade games have taken up about half of the time I've spent on the console.
I had just canceled my broadband connection because I currently don't have any roomates and I thought I'd do just fine with being online only at work. Obviously, I made that decision before I thought about getting a 360 :( . I think I'm gonna have to subscribe again.

MacRumorUser
Jun 9, 2006, 03:54 PM
hmm... so I guess that's how Bubbasteve got his.

I had just canceled my broadband connection because I currently don't have any roomates and I thought I'd do just fine with being online only at work. Obviously, I made that decision before I thought about getting a 360 :( . I think I'm gonna have to subscribe again.

Without Live the 360 would be very lame. It's all about marketplace, live arcade and every game being online enabled with downloadable content. Without live a lot of the games would be very average...

shadowmoses
Jun 9, 2006, 04:04 PM
Without Live the 360 would be very lame. It's all about marketplace, live arcade and every game being online enabled with downloadable content. Without live a lot of the games would be very average...

Not that I have a 360 but I can imagine this to be true, in fact L!VE is probably the only reason I am considering getting a 360......

ShadoW

2nyRiggz
Jun 9, 2006, 04:07 PM
I really wouldn't say that...i had my 360 since launch and went online like 5 times since renewing my account.....i rather enjoy the sigle player but i love the solo thing:)

Could you believe i had an xbox live 2 months after it was released...and i haven't really used it...not even for halo or halo 2.

Bless

MacRumorUser
Jun 9, 2006, 04:13 PM
Could you believe i had an xbox live 2 months after it was released...and i haven't really used it...not even for halo or halo 2.

Bless

:eek: :eek: Different strokes for different folks :)

I love G.R.A.W & COD2 & PD0 online..... I think online FPS with a clan take on a whole new level, only GRAW had a decent single player. I got bored with singleplayer in COD2 & PD0

Condemned is the best signle player FPS in a long while...

I really enjoy Kameo too, I think it's great.. nay fantastic even.. :)

Full Auto & Burnout - I enjoy.
PGR3 not so much.

Dagless
Jun 9, 2006, 04:40 PM
Not that I have a 360 but I can imagine this to be true, in fact L!VE is probably the only reason I am considering getting a 360......

ShadoW

Pity my brother! or just call him stupid alongside me. He can't afford many games and we have a VERY limited internet connection *read about my internal brick walls slaughtering WiFi*. He's stuck on a 480i TV, built in TV speakers... it's a terrible setup that doesn't show the 360 in it's best light.

alas. He's a fool. he basically has an Xbox 1.2 in his room. The only benefit being wireless controllers and a different selection of games. congrats! 270 down the drain.

floyde
Jun 9, 2006, 05:11 PM
He's stuck on a 480i TV, built in TV speakers... it's a terrible setup that doesn't show the 360 in it's best light.

alas. He's a fool. he basically has an Xbox 1.2 in his room. The only benefit being wireless controllers and a different selection of games. congrats! 270 down the drain.
Oh crap, I hope this is not my case. My TV sucks, but at least I've got 5.1 audio. I'll definately get my broadband back now...

quigleybc
Jun 9, 2006, 06:18 PM
I thought everything was cheaper in Mexico....:confused:

floyde
Jun 9, 2006, 06:28 PM
I thought everything was cheaper in Mexico....
Beer = yes
Electronics = no

The problem is that most electronics have to be imported (even when some manufacturers are located here), so you have to pay the US price + import fees. Some people consider beer to be everything so, in a way, it's true ;)