PDA

View Full Version : New Smash Bros Brawl info

Dagless
Jun 5, 2006, 04:45 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151198

Hardcore players should take note that the game's being designed to stress "easiness" over the small details of combat, in an attempt to make the entry level for playing the fighter even lower than before.

Sakurai hasn't determined the official character lineup as of yet. The reveal of Solid Snake does mean they're contemplating other non-Nintendo characters, but the characters must have appeared on a Nintendo platform at some point, and they're only considering one or two more additions in this category.

Additionally, while they don't want to include Japanese-specific characters since Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a worldly popular game, the amount of comments he's heard about the Fire Emblem additions makes him think otherwise. At this point, it's too early to tell how the finalized lineup will shape up, but he also doesn't want to feature only popular characters ala Mario and Link.

Even though online networking has already been confirmed, Sakurai isn't so quick to jump on board the now year-old announcement. His team is looking into the feature and hopes to include online play before the game ships next year, but don't expect a complex interface; for example, there are no plans for leader boards.

Interestingly, while Sakurai says a Nintendo DS version of the fighting series isn't in development at the moment, he doesn't rule out one for the future.

NOOOOOOOOooooooooo, say it isn't so! an easier Smash Bros?! Slowed down?!?!? Smash Bros Melee was so perfect, messing with that is going to hurt us old pro's at the expensive of a wider audience.
Then again I suppose getting everyone in my house to play would be fun, instead of just my girlfriend whenever she's round.

CubeHacker
Jun 5, 2006, 05:06 PM
No where in there does it mention that gameplay will be slowed down, just made a bit easier. More than likely, this simply means that it won't be so easy for characters to be "locked" into combo's that they can't get out of when someone is repeatedly hitting them. It perhaps it might be easier to perform some moves.

GFLPraxis
Jun 5, 2006, 05:29 PM
Where does it say slowed down?

And btw, the original Smash Bros was the same way. Electric Playground gave it a score of 2/10 calling it 'kiddie crap' and stating it was oversimplified because the players didn't have to memorize complex button combos :rolleyes:

EDIT: Check out some of the sad comments.

Who's that girl in blue?
borislav, 06/05/2006
I've never seen her in any Nintendo game.

zap2
Jun 5, 2006, 06:07 PM
NO!! i want a DS Super Smash Bro!

But i like Roy, i'm really hoping for Sonic and Shadow/Taills

clykins90
Jun 5, 2006, 06:16 PM
Sonic? Forget sonic.

What about Mega Man???? He'd be the ultimate smash bros character!

GFLPraxis
Jun 5, 2006, 06:22 PM
I demand Sonic.

And maybe MegaMan...I prefer MegaMan Zero. Zero pwns X and the original MegaMan any day.

Timepass
Jun 5, 2006, 06:27 PM
I dont think we will see megaman in there though. Capcom is pretty protect of it stuff and Megaman is Capcom biggest icon

cycocelica
Jun 5, 2006, 06:32 PM
Make it easier? Wasn't it already easy enough?

And why wouldn't they make a SSB for the DS?

Moshiiii
Jun 5, 2006, 06:36 PM
I'm hoping for maybe a Resident Evil char, since RE4 was such a big hit. My girlfriend and I are really going to enjoy this game, I'm glad to hear its going to be alittle more beginner friendly.

sb58
Jun 5, 2006, 07:10 PM
NO!! i want a DS Super Smash Bro!
they said that they're not ruling that out as an option, which means its possible...:rolleyes:

and having Megaman would be alot like Samus(old one not the Zero Suit Samus)
Sonic, Shadow, Tails, or Knuckles, would all bring a new aspect to the game because all those characters are waaaaaaay too fast and that'd be an interesting thing to see incorporated into it.

Bubbasteve
Jun 5, 2006, 07:28 PM
I'm not really disappointed in this article in that I believe the learning curve of the controller will put an extra difficulty on the game....plus I'm sure they will have additional difficulty levels

Dagless
Jun 5, 2006, 07:51 PM
I'm not really disappointed in this article in that I believe the learning curve of the controller will put an extra difficulty on the game....plus I'm sure they will have additional difficulty levels

Thats the thing daddio, Smash Bros Brawl uses the Shell controller. apparently. The maker guy said he didn't want to change it too much.

... so dropping some 1st party characters, adding 3rd party characters and making it easier are fine to him.

Hey, at least we can still play Smash Bros Melee in progressive scan, and without those crapping diagonal lines on LCD's through non-digital connections! w00ts.

... A little OT, but is the Wii the only 100% BC machine in the next gen? It has slots for GC memory cards and controllers, whereas the PS3 loses the rumble and memory card slots. And the 360 has a mini list of BC games. hmm.

GFLPraxis
Jun 5, 2006, 07:54 PM
Thats the thing daddio, Smash Bros Brawl uses the Shell controller. apparently. The maker guy said he didn't want to change it too much.

... so dropping some 1st party characters, adding 3rd party characters and making it easier are fine to him.

Hey, at least we can still play Smash Bros Melee in progressive scan, and without those crapping diagonal lines on LCD's through non-digital connections! w00ts.

... A little OT, but is the Wii the only 100% BC machine in the next gen? It has slots for GC memory cards and controllers, whereas the PS3 loses the rumble and memory card slots. And the 360 has a mini list of BC games. hmm.

It just might be. An interesting reversal from the previous generation.

saunders45
Jun 5, 2006, 08:01 PM

It's designed with the "Retro" Controller....

Demon Hunter
Jun 5, 2006, 08:08 PM
Sonic? Forget sonic.

What about Mega Man???? He'd be the ultimate smash bros character!

Dude, YES!!!!!!!

7on
Jun 5, 2006, 08:54 PM
ummm, hello? Mike from Star Tropics.

GFLPraxis
Jun 5, 2006, 09:06 PM
It's designed with the "Retro" Controller....

And can also be played with the GameCube controller.

Bubbasteve
Jun 5, 2006, 09:50 PM
I'm still going to purchase this game because so far the SSB franchise is batting 1.000

steelfist
Jun 6, 2006, 02:33 AM
it's so darn annoying when people finally saw samus aran for the first time without the suit, and have no clue who she is. all their minds are filled of that moment is..."can you be my girlfriend?" :mad:

Dagless
Jun 6, 2006, 05:01 AM
Well frankly, Suitless Samus appears in 1 Metroid game right? Even then it's at the end of Zero Mission. at first I thought it was Joanna Dark before the name popped up. I mean since when did Samus have a light-sword? (or Joanna for that matter)

mrgreen4242
Jun 6, 2006, 08:55 AM
Well frankly, Suitless Samus appears in 1 Metroid game right? Even then it's at the end of Zero Mission. at first I thought it was Joanna Dark before the name popped up. I mean since when did Samus have a light-sword? (or Joanna for that matter)

I thought that you could unlock suitless Samus in both Metroid and Super Metroid? Now I have to go look it up... EDIT: Did a quick Google, I definately remembered suitless Samus from the orig. Metroid, and confirmed that, and I could have sworn I've seen 16-bit suitless Samus, but didn't get any hits on that right away.

So, armorless Samus in at least 2 games, if not 3.

jdechko
Jun 6, 2006, 03:16 PM
I mean since when did Samus have a light-sword? (or Joanna for that matter)

As far as I know, there'd be no weapons for her to use if she didn't have a light-sword or a gun. I mean, at least Peach has magic abilities, but samus without her suit has no super strengths. That's not to say that she couldn't beat someone down without her suit, but the suit plays a big role in defining who samus is.

I also remember hearing about the use of the cube controllers with SSBS, so that's probably a good thing for those of us who are used to the control scheme.

And a DS version of SSB would be totally awesome.

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 03:28 PM
since when did Samus have a light-sword?

Well, to be fair:

since when did [insert name of video game character here] have a [insert name of said video game character's new weapon or move here]?

Video game characters get new moves and weapons all the time ;) And that's fine. As an example, I'm pretty glad Link got his hookshot added at some point. Fun weapon.

GFLPraxis
Jun 6, 2006, 03:54 PM
I thought that you could unlock suitless Samus in both Metroid and Super Metroid? Now I have to go look it up... EDIT: Did a quick Google, I definately remembered suitless Samus from the orig. Metroid, and confirmed that, and I could have sworn I've seen 16-bit suitless Samus, but didn't get any hits on that right away.

So, armorless Samus in at least 2 games, if not 3.

If you type as your password,

JUSTIN BAILEY
------ ------

in the original NES Metroid, you could play suitless Samus.

In Metroid Zero Mission for the GBA you can also play suitless Samus for certain parts.
http://www.gamerspress.com/images/9/98/Metroid_zero_mission_walkthrough_johnhummel_mission_19_0004.jpg

jdechko
Jun 6, 2006, 04:30 PM
Let's just hope this (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=197) doesn't happen.

GFLPraxis
Jun 6, 2006, 05:01 PM
Being that I've never played a Metal Gear title, could you explain the final panel to me? Sorry :o

Dagless
Jun 6, 2006, 05:02 PM
Let's just hope this (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=197) doesn't happen.

I don't get the last 2 frames :o what's Kirby doing?

Moshiiii
Jun 6, 2006, 07:31 PM
I'm hoping for maybe a Resident Evil char, since RE4 was such a big hit. My girlfriend and I are really going to enjoy this game, I'm glad to hear its going to be alittle more beginner friendly.

You know what, cross out what I said. I'm looking foward to play this game by myself.

sk1985
Jun 6, 2006, 09:33 PM
Where does it say slowed down?

And btw, the original Smash Bros was the same way. Electric Playground gave it a score of 2/10 calling it 'kiddie crap' and stating it was oversimplified because the players didn't have to memorize complex button combos :rolleyes:

EDIT: Check out some of the sad comments.
Electric Playground is crap....Mindless crap. It's such a worthless show. I for one hate both the hosts. Both hosts have such a bad taste for gaming it's not funny. Who really cares about the opinions of a video game music composer (Tommy) and his mindless buddy? I'm not a fan of the smash bros series (I like more realistic fighters), but I will say it's one of the most polished and well loved series in gaming. It's not a kiddy game at all, serious fighting fans like the title and it crosses all sorts of generations of gamers (I know kids that love the game and I have a good deal of 20 something friends that play that series religiously). IMO it's as important to Nintendo as the Mario and Zelda series.

GFLPraxis
Jun 6, 2006, 11:19 PM
Electric Playground is crap....Mindless crap. It's such a worthless show. I for one hate both the hosts. Both hosts have such a bad taste for gaming it's not funny. Who really cares about the opinions of a video game music composer (Tommy) and his mindless buddy? I'm not a fan of the smash bros series (I like more realistic fighters), but I will say it's one of the most polished and well loved series in gaming. It's not a kiddy game at all, serious fighting fans like the title and it crosses all sorts of generations of gamers (I know kids that love the game and I have a good deal of 20 something friends that play that series religiously). IMO it's as important to Nintendo as the Mario and Zelda series.

Oh I agree, they're crap. XPlay is the only decent show on G4, and that's only because it's the only TechTV show they didn't cancel.

On that note, I met Adam Sessler at E3 and shook his hand.:D

Ja Di ksw
Jun 7, 2006, 12:41 AM
For those of you that don't play Metal Gear, he hides in a box all the time. Apparently, cardboard boxes are everywhere in real life and do not warrant searching when in the middle of a hallway in a highly secure building.

As for the last two frames, I *think* that he is reaching to pull a mask off of his face, and Kirby is in a "oh my god" pose, and then we see that it was Raiden with a mask on instead of Snake.

I spent way too much time trying to figure that out :o

Edit: spelling

michaelltd
Jun 7, 2006, 02:30 AM
and to add to the explaination above... Raiden is the main character in Metal Gear Solid 2 which came as a surprise to many.

Many people don't care for him because of his whining during codec calls and his feminine appearance that is brought on because of his hair and the special sneaking suit he wears.

I personally have nothing against the guy though. :)

Ja Di ksw
Jun 7, 2006, 03:42 AM
His whining was annoying, but I was mainly just annoyed that the story wasn't based around Snake.

srobert
Jun 7, 2006, 09:38 AM
From wii-x2.com:

New Brawl Characters
(Written by: Matt Duckie)

The producer of Super Smash Bros. Brawl spoke to a Tokyo gaming radio show recently and revealed three new characters...

The three new characters are Bowser Jr, Ridley (from the Metroid Prime series) and Cell-shaded Link. Sadly Ice Climbers, Game & Watch and original child Link will not be in the game. The good news is that the number of characters in the game should reach forty and it is expected that another fifteen unannounced characters remain will keep you updated.

Edit: Looks like GFLPraxis and the guys at nintendoplayers (http://www.nintendoplayers.com) are alredy in the know.

jdechko
Jun 7, 2006, 09:49 AM
Jimmi and GFL,

As far as I can tell, it looks like it's a play on the MGS4 teaser trailer where Sam Fisher (from Splinter Cell) and Snake are fighting. Then at the end, when it appears that Sam has killed Snake (or something) "Sam" takes off his mask and it's really Snake. Anyway, that's as best of what I know thats going on. I guess it is kinda confusing if you never saw the teaser trailer for MGS4.

It's the 5/17/05 Trailer.
http://media.ps2.gamespy.com/media/714/714044/vids_1.html

I just thought the sneaking around and killing mario was kinda funny.

GFLPraxis
Jun 7, 2006, 10:08 AM
I may have to update that article however. The strange thing is that I can't seem to find any confirmation from any Japanese sites, and the French site claims that this was confirmed over the Japanese radio.

If I don't see any Japanese sites reporting this within a few hours I'm marking it a rumor.

sk1985
Jun 7, 2006, 10:53 AM
and to add to the explaination above... Raiden is the main character in Metal Gear Solid 2 which came as a surprise to many.

Many people don't care for him because of his whining during codec calls and his feminine appearance that is brought on because of his hair and the special sneaking suit he wears.

I personally have nothing against the guy though. :)
Raiden although somewhat annoying at times was a pretty sweet character. He's stronger, younger, faster, and a better fighter then Solid Snake. He can even dodge bullets with a sword (Raiden was suppose to carry the series on and snake was going to make appearances in the next few titles, but no one wanted to give up solid snake). Snake on the other hand is a true bad ass. In MGS 1 and 2 he's pretty old and he still kicks a ton of ass. I imagine in his younger years he was on par with Raiden (Snake is a few decades older then him).

I personally hope Solid Snake kicks all form of ass in Smash brothers.

Dagless
Jun 7, 2006, 10:56 AM
From wii-x2.com:

HOLY!!!!

Right. Brawl just escalated up again. Wow. FORTY characters! Didn't Melee have about 24?

RIDLEY. I've been saying to Caroline that Ridley NEEDS TO BE IN a Smash Bros game. He is excellent. Such a western impression of a dragon. so beautiful. he's my MSN Spaces "pic".
I did this (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/16634310/) in 2001.

Bowser Jr? Not really a fan. Cel Shaded Link! Excellent!
Ice Climbers and Game & Watch were disposable for me. But child Link :( with his flaming arrows?
alas.

GFLPraxis
Jun 7, 2006, 11:41 AM
HOLY!!!!

Right. Brawl just escalated up again. Wow. FORTY characters! Didn't Melee have about 24?

26 if you count Zelda and Shiek as different characters.

Dagless
Jun 7, 2006, 12:44 PM

26 if you count Zelda and Shiek as different characters.

Amazing, if they cut the fat off the original characters you've pretty much got a double increase in fighters. Way to go Hal/Whoever it is now.

What I would love to see, to add a little more strategy and diversity into the game; when you chose a character you should be able to select what form they are in. you could have regular Mario - the all rounder, Fire Mario - long distance attacks with some negative aspects. I'm just thinking you could chose clothes for Link that makes him immune to certain elements etc. Would be nice. Maybe a little too complex though.

GFLPraxis
Jun 7, 2006, 03:50 PM
The more I look the stranger it seems.

Nintendo-inside.jp (a Japanese gaming site which has actually linked to me at NintendoPlayers.com before, which is pretty cool) has no mention of such an interview, nor do other Japanese sites I've seen, from what little I can make out through translators.

Only the French site has claimed that there was an interview on Japanese radio where Sakurai confirmed these things.

I'm marking it as a rumor until we get some confirmation.

Tanglewood
Jun 9, 2006, 06:18 PM
I loved playing as the Ice Climbers. I thought that it added a different aspect to the game controlling the actions of two characters at once. Compared to some of the other characters in Melee that were just a rehash of another character (Mario/Dr. Mario) Ice Climbers were truely unique.