PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Classics Being Localized for Wii's Virtual Console?

GFLPraxis
Jun 5, 2006, 09:47 PM
http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=326

Japanese Classics Being Localized for Virtual Console?
A job listing at Nintendo hints at the possibility.
by Robert Hiskey, Ali Shehzad

June 5, 2006 - A job posting at Nintendo of America hints at the possibility of Japanese games for older Nintendo systems being localized for release on Wii's Virtual Console service. The job listing for a "Japanese Translator," a temporary contract position, indicates that the "translator will focus on the Virtual Console project." The job's main duty is translating "documents from Japanese to English and vise versa."

Why would translation be necessary for games that had already been released in both Japan and North America? Certainly, Nintendo has all of the code from the original North American versions of their games, and can easily make them available on the Virtual Console without having to relocalize anything. The fact that a Japanese translator is needed for the Virtual Console project indicates that Nintendo has some type of document or product that is currently available in only one language, Japanese or English. Hopefully this means that we will see some classic Japanese-only games released in America on the Virtual Console; the demand is certainly there for some of Nintendo's Japanese classics, such as the older Fire Emblem games.

We'll keep our fingers crossed, but please remember that this is certainly not any sort of confirmation from Nintendo. It's simply a very interesting job posting that indicates that something might be going on.

Source: Nintendo of America

w00t!

While it could just be a translator for original Virtual Console titles, it would be awesome of Nintendo was releasing Japanese-only games in the States.

Haoshiro
Jun 5, 2006, 09:56 PM
If that happens it would be great, me thinks!

Dagless
Jun 6, 2006, 05:03 AM
Aye, even though to translate some games would take a longtime... FF? Maybe to fix some Engrish

I feel asleep!

takao
Jun 6, 2006, 06:27 AM
wow that would be awesome.. i'm pretty sure there are plenty games which were never released in the rest of the world

mkaake
Jun 6, 2006, 07:33 AM
Aye, even though to translate some games would take a longtime... FF? Maybe to fix some Engrish

I feel asleep!

All your base are belong to us?

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 08:12 AM
All your base are belong to us?

No! please! don't fix that one! :D

jdechko
Jun 6, 2006, 03:17 PM
Maybe the original mario bros. 2 that wasn't released. :D

I like "all your base". We had a blast with that in college.

GFLPraxis
Jun 6, 2006, 03:41 PM
Maybe the original mario bros. 2 that wasn't released. :D

1) 'twas already included in Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES.

2) There was no text to translate! Except "Thank you, but our princess is in another castle"...and I really don't think you have to hire a professional to translate that ;)

jdechko
Jun 6, 2006, 03:51 PM
Oh, well then porting/translating the original Super Mario 2 would be a dumb idea. :)

shadowmoses
Jun 7, 2006, 03:23 AM
This is awesome if its true as consoles like the SNES had so many amazing games which were JAP only, which I remember playing in my childhood on import......

The Wii just keeps getting better and better really cannot wait to get hold of one.

ShadoW

Dagless
Jun 7, 2006, 10:54 AM
Starfox 2 anyone?

sk1985
Jun 7, 2006, 11:02 AM
I personally want the long lost Castlevania game before Symphony of the Night to finally hit state side. Copies of this game are well into the hundreds of dollars range on ebay. And just to play this game you need to buy some lame ass really expensive japanese game console too and then buy the needed upgrade chips to run it (unless you buy the version of the console with that chip which costs a good deal too)....Thats just too much of a costly venture for a 10 year old game (if not way older). This game could easy be emulated on any last gen system. So the Wii should do it without a sweat (the PS2 can handle the emulation with a great deal of ease).

mrgreen4242
Jun 7, 2006, 03:55 PM
Starfox 2 anyone?

I though that was abandoned before it was released ANYWHERE?

Also, it would actually be pretty funny at this point to get a new translation for All Your Base Are Belong To Us. :p

Haoshiro
Jun 7, 2006, 04:38 PM
Also, it would actually be pretty funny at this point to get a new translation for All Your Base Are Belong To Us. :p

I'll take a stab at that:
"All of your bases now belong to us!"

... suddenly it doesn't seem all that bad! ;)

mkaake
Jun 8, 2006, 06:46 AM
for great justice!

Amishexmachina
Jun 8, 2006, 11:16 AM
Bahamut Lagoon for the Wii would be rad.