PDA

View Full Version : blu-wii drive?

sam10685
Jun 6, 2006, 02:35 AM
what if the last big secret to the Wii is a Blu-ray (or HD-DVD drive)? i think with just a DVD drive it could go along with all the other nintendo consoles and launch at $199. if they put blu-ray or HD-DVD in this bad boy, One; it'd be amazing. Two; they'd probably charge 250 or more (and they'd sell a BUTT-LOAD.)

Sea5onS
Jun 6, 2006, 02:45 AM
It won't happen. Adding an HD-DVD or Blue-ray drive to the Wii would absolutely murder Nintendo's profit margins, or force them to break their promise that the Wii would be below $250.

MacRumorUser
Jun 6, 2006, 04:15 AM
It won't happen. Adding an HD-DVD or Blue-ray drive to the Wii would absolutely murder Nintendo's profit margins, or force them to break their promise that the Wii would be below $250.

Agreed.

Besides if the machine doesnt support HD - which has been confirmed, only 480p. What's the point in adding a HD movie format. Totally moribund.

Dagless
Jun 6, 2006, 04:53 AM
I'd love to buy a Wii for 350. Who wouldn't?

sam10685
Jun 6, 2006, 06:30 AM
I'd love to buy a Wii for 350. Who wouldn't?

me. that's more than a high-end PS3.

Dagless
Jun 6, 2006, 07:20 AM
me. that's more than a high-end PS3.

Well I suppose you can dream, since Nintendo said it would "be cheaper than the competition". and the games are using a special "12cm disc format", which is probably some spin-off of DVD to prevent piracy. Reading backwards or whatever. But 9gb was mentioned by Nintendo. Also the lack of HD-output renders it pointless.
Though I can imagine someone hacking the 360 USB HD-DVD drive to work on computers and other USB devices, Wii included.

edit: I never said 12" </jedi mind trick> ;)

Linkjeniero
Jun 6, 2006, 08:36 AM
Well I suppose you can dream, since Nintendo said it would "be cheaper than the competition". and the games are using a special "12" disc format", which is probably some spin-off of DVD to prevent piracy. Reading backwards or whatever. But 9gb was mentioned by Nintendo. Also the lack of HD-output renders it pointless.
Though I can imagine someone hacking the 360 USB HD-DVD drive to work on computers and other USB devices, Wii included.

12"? That'd be about the size of a longplay vinyl disc... I think you ment 12cm :P . But you're right: I'm pretty sure it's just a 12cm version of the current GameCube discs, that were developed by Panasonic. That way, they don't need a fancy new reader to handle both kinds of discs; and those readers have been in production for 5 years now, for cheap... so more corner-cutting for them. Also, it's proved to be an excellent way to prevent piracy, since it makes it impractical (there'll be always some people that will manage to pirate it just for the fun of it, but the average Joe won't be so thrilled if the modding includes major modifications, like changing the reader).

mrgreen4242
Jun 6, 2006, 10:30 AM
I'll start with saying I don't think that the Wii will have a 'next gen' optical drive. However, with the 360 and PS3 both pushing an HD media format I'd like to see the Wii, which has been confirmed will playback DVDs (right?) offer upconverting SD playback.

DVD's look pretty decent, and can actually look really good/better when scaled well onto a 720p or 1080i display. Component cables (which the Wii will certainly have to get a nice 480p signal out) can carry up to 1080i signals without a problem, so there's not a technical limitation there.

Basically, what I am saying is that DVD playback is pretty old hat - it was done by everyone but Nintendo last time around. Every house has a DVD player already (everyone that will be buying a Wii anyways), so there's not really a NEED for another one in the system. If they are going to bother doing it, they should do it right and add some features that not everyone has available to them already.

greatdevourer
Jun 6, 2006, 10:49 AM
me. that's more than a high-end PS3. I thought the PS3 was 430? That's what I read on here, anyways