Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bombdogs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
Hi all,

I work in a school where the Art department uses emac's for kids work. They have one that's been dropped & the monitor has died - the computer itself sounds as though it's booting fine. It's got some coursework on it that I said I'd do my best to try & recover for them... I'm not having much joy at the moment tho!

I've bought an apple 2nd monitor cable & was hoping to use that to gain access to the machine but I can't work out how to enable the 2nd monitor without a screen to look at :(

We hope some kind soul can help...

Many thanks,

PMF

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
It should detect the screen automatically upon startup. If you're not getting any signal at all, then you probably broke more than just the CRT when you dropped it. :(

EDIT: after the booting sounds are done, will the machine open its drive door? or do the volume buttons have any effect? Just trying to find out of the machine really is booting or not.

Bombdogs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
Thanks for the quick replies!

It boots up with the welcome sound & the CD tray opens, so I presume all is OK. The lead I've managed to buy is actually a video adapter (plugs into a TV) but it gives an un-synched display on our PAL TV.... doesn't say on the packaging whether it gives a PAL or NTSC output :confused: I think I need to get a proper monitor cable instead. :doh:

The Target Disk Mode looks like a really neat idea & will probably be my 2nd option.

Many thanks again.

PMF

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.