Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
I was wondering if there was an alternitive to PhotoShop(possibly free). I don't care how well it works under Rosey(roesetta's nickname:D),but it would be nice to have something free and universal.:) ROSEYRULES! hehe!

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
Where can I find something maybe free trial? I am trying to stay away from adobe because i am on an iMac™.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Gimp and Cinepaint

imacintel said:
I was wondering if there was an alternitive to PhotoShop(possibly free). I don't care how well it works under Rosey(roesetta's nickname:D),but it would be nice to have something free and universal.:) ROSEYRULES! hehe!

Yes there is one. http://www.gimp.org There is a version for every platform. Linux, Windows, Mac (PPC and Intel), Solaris and so on...

Gimp can do just about everything PS cab do except handle 16-bit color depth. Foe that there is a version (or "fork) if gimp called "cinepaint" http://www.cinepaint.org/
Cinepaint has some development money and is moving in it's own direction

Both are profesional level programs. Use gimp for most uses and cinepaint if high definition color (like 32 bits per channel) is required Both run faster then PS or PSE because both Adobe product run in Roseta. But even on a G4 PS is not fast and Gimp beats it

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Two more recommendations:

1) GIMPShop is a variant of GIMP that is intended to be more accessible to those who are very familiar with more recent versions of PS... still runs in X-Windows.

2) Seashore is a Cocoa-based application that might be worth checking out....

(EDIT: just to chime in with the comments before and after mine...these are all good options, but I personally also use PSE.)

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Photoshop Elements really is a great product for the price. It doesn't have the super-advanced features of Photoshop Professional, but if you are doing cropping, color adjustments, basic manipulations and edits -- you won't even notice the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.